This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-14-2011 08:03:08 PM

Gainel
Rose Bride

Help meh! *TO THE MOVIE! AWAAAAY!*

So, my friend is basically a convert to Utena. He finished watching the series and adored it, and now he wants to watch the movie - but all he can find is the dubbed version, which (as many of you guys probably agree) is so terrible it's almost funny. Almost.

Now, I of course don't want my friend's first experience of the movie to be with the dub because it sucks, but I searched all over the 'net and never found an english-subtitled version. Any help to offer? school-sherlock

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it on a fruit salad.

#2 | Back to Top12-15-2011 02:31:53 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Help meh! *TO THE MOVIE! AWAAAAY!*

*ahem*  We remind the attractive and intelligent members of IRG, which is all of them, that the forum isn't to be used for distributing copyrighted media illegally.  Please don't use this space to ask someone to help you pirate SKU, nor to offer to help someone pirate SKU.

Want to watch the Utena movie?  Netflix has it streaming.  RightStuf has it as part of their newly released box set.  Amazon sells the older Software Sculptures edition used from $8.

(I'm making this post because I had to delete an earlier post in this thread for this reason. emot-frown)

Last edited by satyreyes (12-15-2011 02:43:30 AM)

#3 | Back to Top12-15-2011 01:04:30 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I showed the movie to one of my friends. Although he liked the art and music, he completely loathed the story.

I think you're being harsh on the dub. The movie had a much better dub than the series, although Miki sounds completely stoned throughout.

#4 | Back to Top12-15-2011 01:29:31 PM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

I didn't mind the movie dub, I think it was much nicer emot-biggrin

I do have a question about the movie, though emot-keke; It might sound really stupid, but why not ask ya know? So, I now own 3 copies of the movie xD (cmp set, rightstuf set, and the first copy of the movie i bought independently at half price books when i was like 12.) My first copy was the one i bought from half price (i didnt get on the internet unless it was for school [didnt have my own computer at home] and most of my anime/manga came from half price, and library.) i didnt know as much as i do now and i was basically "THERE'S AN UTENA MOVIE ?! *drool* must have!" so i bought it for 7$. XD

It had the same cover as the cmp set, but the disk was different (i actually bought the cmp right before rightstuf announced it was going to be re-released emot-gonk ) and I think I had a boot leg. it had this on the disk ~> http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie2/v/movie/a … 6.png.html not anthy, just that picture of utena. she was on..a purple or blue background and a pink ring on the outside. the disk was in decent condition, but on the title screen, utena and anthy wouldnt dance, they were just kind of glitchy. you couldnt access the special features, just watch the movie and the audio/ subtitle selection. the back had something about hong kong and some chinese on it, and an email...i actually have lost the entire thing, so im just going from memory xD and it doesnt really matter, i was just curious if it was a bootleg o_O

#5 | Back to Top12-16-2011 01:32:31 AM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

emot-redfaceemot-redfaceemot-redface

~
I don't think I've ever watched the movie in English... Maybe I will now, just because yall are talking about it. I know I wasn't too fond of the series dub, but it's fun to watch sometimes anyway emot-tongue

Lol bootlegs. It reminds me of a Slayers set I bought on ebay. The blurb on the back had all these typos and stuff, and the information at the bottom told me the two audio tracks were Chinese and English xD

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#6 | Back to Top12-16-2011 07:35:45 PM

Gainel
Rose Bride

Apologies, Satyreyes. I wasn't really intending for this to specifically be a 'help me find a pirated SKU' thing - more like anything I could get, not necessarily free. In any case, I had no idea Netflix had it - I searched several times, but anyway, thanks. I'll be sure not to ask anything like this again. :s

Last edited by Gainel (12-16-2011 07:39:19 PM)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it on a fruit salad.

#7 | Back to Top12-16-2011 08:17:08 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

Gainel wrote:

Apologies, Satyreyes. I wasn't really intending for this to specifically be a 'help me find a pirated SKU' thing - more like anything I could get, not necessarily free. In any case, I had no idea Netflix had it - I searched several times, but anyway, thanks. I'll be sure not to ask anything like this again. :s

That was my mistake emot-keke;;

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#8 | Back to Top12-16-2011 09:08:22 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

No worries emot-smile  I know you'll both follow the rules now that you know 'em.

#9 | Back to Top12-20-2011 06:36:42 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

It's strange that the dub for the movie(released in 2001) is so much better than the dubs of the second and third seasons(released in 2003). Is this due to Ikuhara's direct involvement in the dub of the movie, or is it something else?

#10 | Back to Top12-21-2011 02:34:01 PM

codeblackhayate
When did we get pyrotechnics?

I think movies generally have bigger budgets, more time dedicated, and higher production quality. Anime episodes are generally "Get it out the door! (then fix it on the BlueRay)" production quality nowadays. I imagine with the Utena series it was the same, sans the ability to fluff things up afterwards.

Take my Revolution and shove it!

| SKU:PID Utena Parody |

#11 | Back to Top12-21-2011 03:36:54 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

This is unrelated, but seeing Atropos' avatar, followed by codeblackhayate's made my day.

#12 | Back to Top12-22-2011 02:09:40 PM

codeblackhayate
When did we get pyrotechnics?

Purposely done! Glad someone else found it amusing.
Usually I 'd just lurk. =3

Take my Revolution and shove it!

| SKU:PID Utena Parody |

Board footer