This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-09-2008 02:52:50 PM

Himeohji Kagaya
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Movieverse ficlet

leave it to this particular forum to revive my Movie Kozue x Movie Kanae (or vice versa?  decide for yourself) bunny.  whipped this up last night and today.
if you can't tell, the idea of interspersing poetry with the prose was inspired by Alithea-senpai.  i etc-love her stuff and feel kind of bad about attempting her style... 
may or may not contain spoilers.
suggested listening:  Aimee Mann, 'Freeway'.

He’s been gone
All along
But you don’t see
And then there’s me
Am I ready to leave?
Am I really that wild?
Can’t I remain half of the perfect child?

Kanae wanders the corridors and gardens of the academy that has become a prince’s grave without really changing at all.  It makes her feel bad, sad, mad that she’s the kind of person who belongs here.  Unlike They, she’s always been here; she’s a native of this kingdom.  She thought she knew every centimeter, but now the ghosts take her by surprise.  She never noticed them before.

I’m someone else’s burden
Why are you here?
Steer clear
Mind the dust
Go away and let me rust
I’m no one you can trust
Stranger

The engagement ring that always felt too big is useless now; an empty promise (like any other promise, the violet lace ghost whispers).  She’ll take it off eventually (someday never comes, the lonely drowning ghost murmurs).
Since the ghosts were freed, the parking garage has been pretty much empty.  This, too, has become Kanae’s domain, abandoned by They.  She likes the satisfying deep hollow echo of her heels in the dark.  But she misses the ghosts.

So now you’re a girl without a prince
Tell me, what’s that like?
The cage is still gilded
The kingdom’s still yours
Brides are still brides
And *****s are still *****s
And you’re still you
And you’re still here
So enjoy the view
From your world without fear

Somehow a car is the last thing she expected to find here.  She can see why no one’s come for it.  It’s dirty and sad.  Kanae realizes that appeals to her now.

Pastels and symmetry
Suit you perfectly
Why should you be free?
What can you do for me?
Still
Maybe it’s fate
Better to crash
Than to stagnate

She sits in the driver’s seat wishing she’d learned to drive.  She’d always had chauffeurs.  They’ve gone the way of the ghosts now.
She’s not stupid.  She knows that if no one will come to find her, she’ll have to learn to like freedom.
She takes off her ring.
Only it’s not a ring.
It’s a key.
She tries the ignition.
It starts.
For just a minute she lets herself wish she had a reason to stay.
Just for a minute.
She and the car leave the ghosts behind.

Let’s go to a world
Where there are no gardens
No inbred royals telling us what to wear
Let’s give it a try
Break some walls
With a stranger by my side
I’m someone
Something
Maybe me

Kanae doesn’t have a map of this world, nor a prince to lead her.  She doesn’t have a ring or a car either, but now a green-eyed girl stands beside her, taking in the endless gray with childlike wonder.  Kanae figures they should stick together for the time being.

apologies if i've wasted your time.  noticed how only the last bit of poetry doesn't rhyme?  i think i'm so clever.

Board footer