This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#351 | Back to Top02-02-2011 04:21:21 PM

Carrie Asagiri
Saionji Slapper
Website

Re: The Manga Thread

Hiraku wrote:

Currently reading Vinland Saga. Very long, but worth-reading. Still ongoing, and I'm liking where the plot is taking me so far

I'll check it, I just read in wikipedia about its story and sounds interesting. I love historical mangas that are aimed to an adult audience.

#352 | Back to Top04-22-2011 09:36:08 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Couldn't find a comic/graphic novel thread.

After watching MTV's The Maxx I decided to read Sam Kieth's following comic 4 Women.  Ended up being very different from the action/psychological drama that The Maxx was. The book starts with a woman named Donna talking to a psychiatrist about her roadtrip with three friends. When their car stalls in the middle of nowhere two men show up in a large 4x4 and begin to harass them. What starts as annoying turns into something vile and ugly. The oldest member of the group gets out of the car to save her friends and starts to fight back. When she returns to the car the driver won't unlock the door.

The series is about Donna coming to terms with what really happened on the trip and why she is so angry.

I've just read it but it is definitely in my top 5 comics. It's horrifying and chilling, I've never felt my heartbeat so quickly while reading a comic book. The characters are strong/lovable and the aftermath of the assault is haunting. The ending is just wow. I really hope you fans of alternative comics will give this a try.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#353 | Back to Top04-22-2011 10:17:30 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

I fell in love with Alichino once again.

#354 | Back to Top04-23-2011 06:45:54 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

dlaire wrote:

I fell in love with Alichino once again.

I love the artwork in Alichino! It's one of the most aesthetically beautiful manga I've ever read. It's too bad that it's been on hiatus for so long though...I'd love to see an end to the story.

#355 | Back to Top04-24-2011 07:56:37 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I started Video Girl Ai this week. Old school shonen/seinen, ecchi romantic comedy for the win! Or maybe not, it's not really to my taste, but if I liked that sort of thing, I'd be eating it up. For now, I just really love the character designs for Moemi and Ai. Although the boys are drawn rather unattractively and almost in a different artstyle than the girls which seems a bit weird.

#356 | Back to Top04-24-2011 06:09:48 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Video Girl Ai can be cliche at times but it also has some very genuine moments. I remember in the anime the first night Ai and Yota sleep in the same bed and Yota's depression really gets to him. When Ai touches him and tell him it'll be all right... well that just gets me every time.

#357 | Back to Top04-24-2011 07:39:21 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

I have been meaning to finish that series the first volume was pretty good.

#358 | Back to Top04-30-2011 06:00:40 PM

Mylene

While volume 1 didn't do much for me, I liked volume 2 of Video Girl Ai more, and I loved volume 3.  The art is just so beautiful, the characters are actually showing growth...it's quite a surprise after not being so sure about volume 1.

Alas, in order to get through my massive manga backlog, I do not allow myself to read more than 3 volumes of any given series in a row (unless it's a 4-volumes series), so time to shift gear and start reading Monster.

#359 | Back to Top05-01-2011 09:10:14 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Start reading Monster? Ah, enjoy it. It's a wonderfully suspenseful series that my words can't do justice to. I mean, it's Naoki Urasawa; he has quite a reputation for creating amazing things.

#360 | Back to Top05-14-2011 07:58:51 AM

Mylene

Crystalline_Dream wrote:

Start reading Monster? Ah, enjoy it. It's a wonderfully suspenseful series that my words can't do justice to. I mean, it's Naoki Urasawa; he has quite a reputation for creating amazing things.

Oh definitely know, I'd already watched the first 15 episodes of the anime, and I've been reading 20th Century Boys so I'm familiar with Urasawa's style and reputation. But there's always a new series to start sometime, so some series don't get read until rather late (especially with my massive manga backlog).

Speaking of the backlog, I've been beating my way through it recently. 

Honey Hunt (v. 5-6) - all caught up with it now. It's a guilty pleasure sort of series. I like Aihara Miki's art (although a lot of the guys look exactly alike), I just wish her characters and story were as good. That said, sometimes I enjoy some teen melodrama.

Sand Chronicles (v. 9-10) - I really liked SC. It had such a melancholy undertone throughout, but still had perseverance.  Plus, it's been interesting reading Ashiha Hinako's works in order, so I was able to see how her storytelling and art developed in evolved over the years.

Ayako - With rare exceptions (*cough*Metropolis*cough*) Tezuka's works get me every time. I still find that he tends to get a little too convoluted and melodramatic during final climax chapters, but his beginnings and endings are always amazing, and the final scene of Ayako will stick in my mind. Read it.

Ouran High School Host Club (v. 15) - Back to caught up with this series. The slow releases are really problematic though, because I completely forget what's going on between volumes. However, it's still so much fun, although I do long for the early days when it was all silliness and not romantic entanglements.  (Plus, I'm grumbling because I still feel Kaoru is the best pick :p)

Bunny Drop (v. 1-3) - Such an amazing, slice-of-life series for women! In some ways there's an essence to it that reminds me of With the Light, but it's a bit better written and chooses moments of drama over melodrama. I saw the trailer for the live action movie that's coming out this summer and started crying, it was so poignant.  The manga is quite so cry-worthy (definitely looks like the movie's going a slightly different direction), but it is completely engaging, and the protagonist's inner narrative is actually enjoyable to read!

Yotsuba&! (v. 9) - Manages to maintain it's consistently funny and spirited look at the life of a little kid. I love Azuma Kiyohiko's series...

The Quest for the Missing Girl - I loved Taniguchi Jiro's A Distant Neighborhood, so I had really, really high hopes for Missing Girl.  It's not that it wasn't good, but it didn't quite match my expectations. I felt certain elements were rushed, and the protagonist wasn't as easy to relate to.

And that takes me back to having read the first 3 volumes of Monster, which pretty much caught me up to where I had left off in the anime. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Mylene (05-14-2011 08:03:12 AM)

#361 | Back to Top06-05-2011 10:11:10 AM

Mylene

I started Shadow Star yesterday, and quickly worked my way through the first 5 volumes. Volume 6 is calling to me as well, so I'll likely tear through it really quickly this afternoon. I need to buy v. 7 soon, but then...ugh, it's been 6 years since DarkHorse has released a volume of the series. Will probably go ahead and pick up the anime soon, although that was adapted from the first 7 volumes too, go figure.

Additionally I've cut through volumes 4-6 of Kitchen Princess, which is a total guilty pleasure.

Started Bakuman (v. 1-2), and am enjoying it. It's by the team that did Death Note, and thus far it is so much better written (I didn't particularly like the DN manga), although it maintains the underlying sexism, even if it isn't as strong as in DN.

I also chunked through volumes 5-8 of Peach Girl, yet another guilty pleasure, and read volumes 6 & 7 of From Eroica with Love before realizing I'd accidentally skipped volumes 4-5. Thankfully it's very episodic, so it doesn't really matter.

I also caught up with my The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya manga (v. 6-7), which is finally getting into some stuff that I haven't already seen in the anime (if only because Bandai Entertainment is soooo slow at getting out Disappearance.)

And that's been my manga reading since my last post. Phew!

#362 | Back to Top06-05-2011 10:55:10 AM

innermuse
Anthy Assailer
Website

Mylene wrote:

While I never start new threads, from time to time I've seen mention of manga in the Current Anime and Book threads, usually with a note of "not sure if I should put this here, but..."

So, let's allow manga it's own little place in the Rose Garden.  Currently reading, recommendations, whatever -- it's all welcome!

I'm also working on Angel Sanctuary.  I'm trying to get the courage to start volume 3 now that I have the entire series, but man, it can get rather confusing, particularly when I can't tell some characters apart (or what their sex is.)

yeah the first few voulumes are a bit awkward to get through ( has read like all of it) First i was like wth am i reading, then it became like a delicious sinful candy. Any how i love ANYTHING by Kaori Yuki and she makes up most of my collection ( I love Godchild and Cain saga!)

Reading now:  Guignol Orchestra- its alright. The "zombies" are pretty cool.

Oran highschool host club

also march story, i have not seen past volume one, i hope its not canceled

#363 | Back to Top06-05-2011 02:56:09 PM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

*is late* i loved video girl ai, i would say it's one of my favorites *emot-keke* i actually cried at the end... xD

i've began reading a little bit of great teacher onizuka, i like it emot-keke i just finished aishiteruze baby, the story was great, loved the characters, HATED the ending. it was so half hearted to me, and ...ugh i dont want to ruin it for anyone interested in it, but to me it should have not been that way at ALL. emot-rolleyes

i've also read the first 4 volumes of alice 19th, it's interesting. i dont know if i wanted to finish it, because the 2 series i have read by watase have disappointed me so much at the end, like aishiteruze baby. like it, i LOVED the story, really interesting stuff and beautiful art, and then the ending. it;s like....oh. i've read ceres and absolute boyfriend. if you read one or the other and didnt like the ending, i dont recommend reading the other if it made you angry :s (but her art is SO good!! etc-love theyre good if you dont mind the ending XD emot-rofl ) (basically, the two stories ive completely read from her were too similar, and i wouldnt have mind if it were good, but i dont want that to happen a third time XD)

#364 | Back to Top06-05-2011 08:05:42 PM

Mylene

I think I remember Alice 19th having a good ending, Yuzukelly.  I haven't read many of Watase's series, but I did like that one quite well.

I watched the anime of Aishiteruze Baby and didn't like it, but I did rather like the first volume of the manga. It just felt like the lead character had a different feel to him in either versions.  Kind of like how I loved the Paradise Kiss manga, but was left kind of cold by the anime, I suppose.

#365 | Back to Top06-05-2011 09:03:07 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Mylene wrote:

I think I remember Alice 19th having a good ending, Yuzukelly.  I haven't read many of Watase's series, but I did like that one quite well.

I watched the anime of Aishiteruze Baby and didn't like it, but I did rather like the first volume of the manga. It just felt like the lead character had a different feel to him in either versions.  Kind of like how I loved the Paradise Kiss manga, but was left kind of cold by the anime, I suppose.

Hm... Now that you mentioned Paradise Kiss... I have been wondering how Yazawa is doing lately. I haven't seen any update of Nana for a loong time now emot-frown

Off-topic: Did you hear about how there's gonna be a Paradise Kiss live action?

Last edited by Hiraku (06-05-2011 09:03:20 PM)

#366 | Back to Top06-05-2011 09:36:24 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Hiraku wrote:

Off-topic: Did you hear about how there's gonna be a Paradise Kiss live action?

I'd like to be excited, but I can't help but remember that horrible live action adaptation of Hana Yori Dango. The only live action version of a manga that I enjoyed was LIFE because it cut out a lot of the the unnecessary material but remained faithful to the manga at the same time.

#367 | Back to Top06-06-2011 07:48:39 AM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

Mylene wrote:

Ah, ok than you emot-keke I have began reading it again, im really not liking her sister XD

I didnt know it had an anime! But i dont think im going to look for it anytime soon. I dont know if i just didnt read it thoroughly, but the manga also left some questions unanswered, but for the most part until the end it's pretty good. it kind of reminded me of 'baby and me', i havent finished it but LOVED what i have read of it (which is just what shojo beat published in the magazine emot-frown ) i always ended a chapter of baby and me really happy, or about to cry. emot-keke

I havent finished the parakiss anime, i did watch the first 4 episodes, i just didnt care for them,, but i did love the manga too emot-biggrin the ending pissed me off when i first read it (i was about...11?) but i get it a little more now (17), but also after reading last quarter (the manga is GREAT, i dont like the movie at all. especially the little part about adam after the credits. i actually forgot they had that there, and i was watching the credits for listening to the song, and i saw it. pissed me off so bad. and the movie itself, maybe they were trying to make mizuki a stronger girl, but...no. i cant believe she did that to adam emot-gonk manga is waay better!) and ive read what's happened in nana so far, i think ai yazawa is a major sadist who hates her fans emot-rofl

oh...and the movie, yes i've seen the trailer. it doesnt look good to me. forgive me because im not good with japanese actors or idols (i only like a couple myself and dont keep up to date on them xD) but the man playing george does not look like a good george. he looks too sweet, and thats the same problem with arashi, and arashi looks younger than miwako! theyre like the same hight, and miwako doesnt look sugary adorable. she has a more yukari vibe to her lol

but the thing that bugs me most is the hair color. i would understand if it was a fantasy story and all the character had odd natural hair and they decided to make it normal for the live action, but they DYE their hair in the series, so i dont understand why they didnt do that for the actors or buy them wigs! i dont know why that bothers me so much, it really shouldnt, but...ugh DYE THEIR HAIR XD (i guess its too late now... :s )

#368 | Back to Top06-06-2011 05:37:40 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

The only whole manga I've ever read is Ceres... It was also my first emot-tongue I love that.

I also was trying to read Angel Sanctuary, I have like 12 or so volumes, but at some point I just...stopped. And I didn't feel like spending all my money on manga anymore.. I probably won't pick it up again unless I really decide I want to.

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#369 | Back to Top07-02-2011 08:59:03 PM

Mylene

*content sigh* Just read the first volume of Fantagraphics release of Wandering Son. Thus far, it has a very different feel from the anime. It's set before the anime starts though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how things shift into that different mood.

Plus the release is very well done--it's actually a hardcover! Although I don't think it's going to fit very well on my manga shelves. :\  I think it's going to have to go on the over-overisized shelf, not even just the oversized shelf.  I'm beginning to think I need to reorganize my manga shelves.

#370 | Back to Top08-28-2011 07:34:15 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Just got through to the last chapter of Usagi Drop

OMG!!!! The character development, especially for Rin, it was awesome!
And, I think there's gonna be some kind of encore volume coming up after Chapter 56? If that is the case, I am going to roll in my bed and cry because that's too awesome to be true!

#371 | Back to Top08-29-2011 03:42:49 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Hunter x Hunter is NO LONGER ON HIATUS!!!!!!  This is (for this HxH freak) AWESOME!! :insert celebratory dance here:  wait...there's an emoticon for that.  emot-dance

#372 | Back to Top11-05-2011 07:00:10 AM

Mylene

Catchup thread! 4 of months of manga read (since I'm already on a kick after writing about my non-manga reads in another thread):

We Were There v. 4-6 - I wish I had more of this series...

20th Century Boys 8-10 - Ditto...

Suppli v. 1-3 - I need to finish buying this before it goes completely out of print and gets expensive. Not my favorite josei, but since we so rarely get any over here these days, I'll take what I can get.

Monokuro Kinderbook - I was actually a bit disappointed by this one, I liked some of the stories, but overall it wasn't as good as some of the other non-mainstream pieces I've read.

Little Fluffy Gigolo Pelu v. 1 - I really, really hope the second volume of this gets released.  It's utterly bizarre, trippy, and hilarious all at once Junko Mizuno is one helluva weird writer.

Video Girl Ai v. 4-6 - Continuing to thoroughly enjoy the series.

Monster v. 4-6 - Still good, although reading the manga and watching the anime is really redundant.

Honey and Clover v. 1-4 - I think I'm liking the manga a bit more than I did the anime, but it's also making me want to rewatch the anime.

Anne Freaks v. 1-2 - A bit generic, but interesting enough.

Boys over Flowers v. 11-18 - A continued guilty pleasure, although there's a lot more guilt than pleasure to it.

Cinderalla - Another work by Junko Mizuno, but I didn't like this one so much.  Zombie Cinderella just doesn't do it for me.

Bunny Drop v. 4 - Continues to be wonderful, ends up just about where the anime ended.  I'm betting the time skip will be coming soon, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

With the Light v. 8 - The final chapter of the story about raising a child with autism.  Tobe died before she finished, so the final chapters are just early storyboards, which kind of broke my heart because it made it so clear that she wanted to keep working but just could not finish for her illness.  They also snuck in a couple of pre-With the Light one-shots she'd done.  She always had a strong sense of optimism in her work, usually with a touch of bittersweet snuck in.

Codename Sailor V v. 1 - I had read part of this in Japanese, but really didn't pick up on the comedy with in it.  Such a fun, light romp!  And still sitting at #6 on the Bookscan list for manga and graphic novels.

Sailor Moon v. 1 - Fantastic first volume.  I'd read some of the series in English as well as French, but I haven't actually completed all of the manga, so I'm really looking forward to the continued release.  And I doubt we have to worry about it stopping--it's still #1 on Bookscan for the second straight month, and they already had to do the first reprint, so there are 100k copies of this in the world right now. emot-keke

Chi's Sweet Home v. 1 - I didn't realize this was being released in color!  Vertical also chose to flip it in order to reach a broader audience, and since it's been one of their best sellers, I think they made the correct choice.  This is the perfect gift for an anime fan, but also for a young child.  It's just the cute adventures of a cute kitten--can you ever really go wrong with that?

Kitchen Princess v. 7-10 (complete) - I am going to try all of the recipes shared in this book, I swear.  It's a pretty standard shoujo, but it v. 6 left me crying, and I enjoyed the rest of the series as well.  Fairly predictable in parts, with a couple of twists thrown in that weren't hugely telegraphed.  Sweet little series if you enjoy shoujo romantic dramas.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya v. 8-9 - I somewhat regret reading these before watching the corresponding movie.

Twin Spica v. 1-2 - I can't believe I waited so long to start this amazing series! I'm also kicking myself for not getting more than just the first two volumes.  It's a fantastic character drama with the trappings of space travel.

Saikano v. 1-3 - Another great one that I shouldn't have waited so long to read (and I hope I can someday get the final volume at a reasonable price). 

The Devil Does Exist v. 1-2 - First couple of chapters were so stereotypical I nearly quit reading. It's a by the numbers sort of tale of good girl and bad boy, but fairly enjoyable after awhile.  Guilty pleasure material for sure.

Penguin Revolution 1-5 - Speaking of series that I wish I had the final volumes off without having to overpay...v. 6 has gotten way to pricey for my taste, although I've found the final volume at an OK price.  It reminds me somewhat of Kitchen Princess with a bit of W Juliet tossed in.  It's not flashy, but it's a fun little story.

Right now I'm most of the way through The Drops of God v. 1, the wine manga.  I like it well enough, but since I have no interest in wine, I'm not getting nearly so into it as others.

#373 | Back to Top11-05-2011 09:39:40 AM

wblstudios
Banned

Yotsuba&!  I even found a site where they put up and translate every chapter almost right after it comes out.

#374 | Back to Top11-05-2011 04:22:17 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

In my latest Book Off adventure, I found all of Rose of Versailles; it's the 2004 reprint collected in six volumes. I managed to score the first five volumes for $15 total. Yes, it's in Japanese, but there's furigana, so I'll be able to muddle through if I don't feel like consulting my dictionary the whole time.

I've only skimmed it a bit, and the costumes are so detailed and stunning. That figures, since this is Marie Antoinette we're talking about, AND the series is old-school shōjo of the highest order.

Last edited by mercurynin (11-19-2011 01:28:47 AM)

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#375 | Back to Top11-26-2011 08:46:56 AM

Mylene

Just read v. 1 of Princess Knight by Tezuka Osamu.  Hmm....I really expected this to be a bit more feminist.  Unfortunately, what I'm getting from it is that girl hearts are weak and afraid and frilly.  Only if you're a girl with a boy heart accidentally inserted by a mischievous angel (in addition to your girl heart) can you be brave and fence, etc. 

That wasn't what I was expecting. emot-frown Also, it's one of his frantic stories, every three pages taking a strange right turn again.  It's not bad, but after reading the utterly amazing Ayako last year, I think I was wanting something a bit more profound.

Board footer