This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top05-11-2013 10:48:30 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Re: Intelligence and depression

Sure, I can open my window. Yay, look at that. It's the same fucking sky and the same fucking ground and that sun is a bitch.

A salad? Meh, be glad I have the energy to microwave a cup of ramen. Also, my veggies went bad a week ago and are still mouldering in my fridge because there's no point to getting rid of them. It requires getting up, going outside. And I don't have the spoons for that.

On a good day, I could do all of that and still be depressed. It's not always a response to life conditions. So really, you're giving the wrong sort of solutions to a problem.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#27 | Back to Top05-11-2013 12:40:30 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

It's important to distinguish here between mild depression and major depressive disorder. The suggestions zevrem have offered can help people will mild depression, especially if they identify their problem as outside themselves (ie. dislike of job.) They are also suggestions offered to people with MDD, but usually it's later in the person's treatment, when 'fake it till you feel it' can be a legitimate treatment option.

A danger I suspect more common in the intelligent is good old school-freud rationalization. The intelligent person sees clearly their dysfunction, and so can rationalize that behavior. Not as functional, but as inescapeable. Feeling trapped is one of the hardest aspects of depression. The intelligent person sees the trap more clearly, so rationalizes a greater hopelessness to escape it.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#28 | Back to Top05-11-2013 04:09:32 PM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

^ This. Whenever I start a really bad depressive episode, the one thing that makes it worse is when I sit around and ruminate about how depressed I am and rationalize that I'm always going to have episodes of depression. Knowing more about my condition, knowing and understanding about the chemical and brain functions involved didn't help me feel any better. All it left me with was a sense of purposelessness. What's the point if it will always swing back to where I am now? I forget that I can treat it and I don't have to wallow in misery. Sometimes you have to stop thinking and just do what you need to. Telling my brain to shut up is one of the best things I can do for myself in a depressive episode.

#29 | Back to Top05-11-2013 04:31:36 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Because intelligent people expect things to be easier. They expect to be better at skills, problem solving, etc, and when they encounter the crippling effects of emotional shock after a major life change of this nature, they don't accept that yes, depression, stress, and fear will actually make you functionally less intelligent. So they get MORE depressed.

I think that's part of the connection--intelligence may not manifest depression more, but when it does, it seems worse, because intelligent people place a larger expectation on themselves to NOT have these things happen. And in the case of patients like mine, intelligent people get more depressed because they think they should have learned to cath faster, transfer faster, have fewer bowel accidents, and kick more ass with bumping a wheelchair up stairs. Similarly, when intelligent people have difficulty with normal activities like job hunting, bank balancing, or staying fit, they take this failure harder. Because if they're so damn smart, why do they suck at these things so much, etc, etc? Part of it is because being intelligent doesn't necessarily give you an aptitude for bank balancing. It doesn't make you more emotionally prepared for the grueling process of ego crushing that is job hunting. It doesn't give you will power. It just. Means. You're. Intelligent.]

Thanks Gio, this is me.
It takes a lot of effort to do get past the whole, this should not be so hard; to do anything this basic, why are you failing so much? By the time I get around that I am tired and still have to do the task...oh well. This task is an everyday thing that all folks can do, you have no reason to not do this, and do it well. This is a thought chain that is depressive and loops in to a never ending fail block it not checked. So, in this case I can BS to a level of "functional aptitude" and hold a job; but not start a career.
The effort that it takes to fake it, whatever it might be; zaps my energy to so productive things, and pisses me off to a loop of hopelessness. Just like you said, Gio about traps.
I have bursts of Productivity followed by spells of not giving a fuck. I guess that If I can even out my bursts of Productivity this would get rid of my depression/lazy spells and I would have more energy for finding a permanent full time job; in this unstable market . Sigh.

So, in short depression can spring from a verity of issues and treating it is going to vary from person to person. Finding out why someone is depressed is half of the battle to treating it effectively.

Sometimes you have to stop thinking and just do what you need to. Telling my brain to shut up is one of the best things I can do for myself in a depressive episode.

This...is how I have do things sometimes!

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (05-11-2013 04:33:26 PM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#30 | Back to Top05-12-2013 01:19:36 PM

zevrem
Banned

Aine Silveria wrote:

Sure, I can open my window. Yay, look at that. It's the same fucking sky and the same fucking ground and that sun is a bitch.

A salad? Meh, be glad I have the energy to microwave a cup of ramen. Also, my veggies went bad a week ago and are still mouldering in my fridge because there's no point to getting rid of them. It requires getting up, going outside. And I don't have the spoons for that.

On a good day, I could do all of that and still be depressed. It's not always a response to life conditions. So really, you're giving the wrong sort of solutions to a problem.

It requires getting up, going outside.

Then maybe you could meditate. Just sit on the ground with your eyes closed, balance your skull over your spine, hunch your shoulders back, breathe to capacity and exhale completely, and let all thoughts slide. If you get angry about not being able to do the last part (you will surely be able to everything else!), then let that thought slide, too! Air is free and easy to find, anyone can do this provided they are not swimming, or on a sinking ship. And your relative immobility suggests you would have an easier time starting out than most people. Even if you can only manage a few minutes at first, this will, over time, multiply and increase.

If you don't want to bother with that, then maybe ingest some hot peppers, or chopped garlic or ginger. This is a bit folk-remedy-ish, but these foods are supposed to compensate for a lack of energy.

Last edited by zevrem (05-12-2013 01:46:33 PM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#31 | Back to Top05-12-2013 02:14:05 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

... I'm not entirely certain what to say to you, since I'm not even certain if what I've tried to say to you already is something you even heard. I suppose I should have made it more clear I was speaking a bit sarcastically.

I appreciate the intent of kindness in your suggestions here. Please just realize that they could potentially make you sound like a facetious jerk to someone else (not that I'm one to talk, given my last post...). Not everyone responds well to these kinds of things, even though they do have value to others. I am far better than I have been in many years, and it's not because of anything I did on purpose. Things like what you mention seemed really pointless. Meditation only served as either a gateway to more self-mental-mutilations, or sleeping. Eating was usually a chore. Everything just was and had no point, even things I knew would help me.

Not everything can be fixed holistically, or on your own. I needed friends and people that loved me to keep telling me everything's fine and that the world isn't as bad as it seems and that they've been there. They didn't try to help, really. They just existed and loved me.

And even that won't work for everyone.

I do apologize for somewhat going off on you, but I got very tired of people spouting off things like you said, the cures of 'fixing your surroundings' and 'do little things to make things better'.

#32 | Back to Top05-12-2013 03:25:03 PM

zevrem
Banned

mental self-mutilations

Were these "self-mutilations" of a moralistic, guilt-ridden variety? I really think that people in industrial society have way too much shame/guilt. Aside from basics like "don't kill people" or "don't kick dogs in the stomach," morality doesn't have that much use. Guilt's not for when you get annoyed by little kids or when someone tells a racist joke and you laugh(There are like 3 good racist jokes, this won't happen very often no matter what jokes people tell). People need to realize this, I think.

Too much guilt is a bad thing, and is actually immoral. Oppressive social systems, like fascism, are really systems of excessively strict and numerous rules. They're like if you were to pilot a large ship and rapidly turn the rudder back and forth. The ship would swerve out of control, and the rudder would be useless for at least a minute. Give a servomechanism too much feedback, too much control, and you lose control. These principles are at work whether you're dealing with a robot arm or an airplane or a human child or a whole civilization.

Last edited by zevrem (05-12-2013 03:42:18 PM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#33 | Back to Top05-12-2013 07:40:03 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

If you call the cyclical self-loathing that comes about from not doing simple chores something society has burdened me with, I suppose so. There were always things about how ugly and undeserving I was of existing, because I was useless and a drain on all the people I knew, but that's less me feeling like a productive member of society and more me hating myself because 'why can't I do this simple thing, ugh'.

#34 | Back to Top05-12-2013 11:24:38 PM

zevrem
Banned

Did your self-loathing go away when you did your chores? Because if it didn't, then your negative self-reinforcement didn't work. Punishment only works if it decreases whenever the subject exhibits a desirable behavior. And if self-loathing is constant and habitual, then it won't decrease in the presence of "good" behaviors. Maybe you could go the Henry Ford way and think of how work is, in a way, its own reward, since work is, after all, the thing that creates civilization itself. It's a bit Brave New World, but there's a large grain of truth to such thinking.

And of course, you could take advantage of the mantra that "there's always some place lower." Whenever you start bitching at yourself, you could give yourself a light pinch to punish this psychological behavior. Or you could use Youtube Doubler to associate videos depicting depression with videos depicting things you fear or hate. There are worse things in the world than depression, things you would avoid at all costs, like physical injury or torture or dead puppies. If you were to associate depression with those things, it would probably be less habitual. The American Psychological Association probably wouldn't approve of this. emot-biggrin

I'll have to wait until my book on Pavlovian conditioning arrives. Then I'll be able to think of more sophisticated methods.

This is the best I could do in like 2 minutes. A depressed man talking about depression vs cyst removal. Enjoy.

Last edited by zevrem (05-13-2013 02:07:52 AM)

#35 | Back to Top05-13-2013 09:06:37 AM

zevrem
Banned

A continuation:

I feel the Pavlovian stuff is "shock therapy" stuff. I think a lighter form of therapy is to ask yourself why you care about these things. Why are you beating yourself up? Is it because you want to help your family? Then think about ways to help your friends and family. You probably have ambitions beyond "doing chores," or at least you have a more general, holistic, (and proactive!) view of what it is to help your family and friends. Think of some general concepts, then assign some measurable factors to them. There's a guy, Tom Gilb, who helps large corporations design project requirements, and one of the exercises he does is that he has people assign measurable factors to hazy concepts like romantic love, such as the # of kisses/day, hours of skin contact, # of white lies told to the partner, stuff like that, then assign desirable levels to these factors. It is crucial that you develop these metrics, it is very difficult for something to succeed if you don't even know what you're trying to accomplish. In fact, I would suggest you do this even if you go through with the Pavlovian conditioning.

And above all, think of yourself, and what you want from yourself. Chances are, other people can get on perfectly fine without you, attachments aside. First worry about bettering yourself.

And on that note, I'm going to leave the Internet for a couple days. Please try not to break anything while I'm gone. ;)

Last edited by zevrem (05-13-2013 06:46:13 PM)

#36 | Back to Top05-14-2013 11:07:27 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hey zevrem, your advice is well-meant but not very helpful and, it seems, not very welcome. Please stick to discussing the actual topic of the thread or stay out of the thread.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#37 | Back to Top05-15-2013 09:10:21 AM

zevrem
Banned

I just want to say before I exit this thread that Pavlovian conditioning, at least in the form of "covert conditioning" utilizing visualization to associate desirable behaviors with desirable outcomes and undesirable behaviors with undesirable outcomes, has a history of being quite helpful for a wide array of addictions and behavioral disorders.

#38 | Back to Top05-15-2013 04:51:42 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Dude, seriously. I just straight up told you not to continue the derail. I think a few days off from posting might help with understanding moderation.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#39 | Back to Top05-24-2013 12:38:09 PM

zevrem
Banned

I think I have a result that is relevant to this thread. I posted it here.

Take a character string of nothing but the character 'a'. It can be 100 characters long, it could be a billion characters long, you can not increase its complexity by adding more a's. This is an intuitive result. Mathematically, this means that we can create a very small program that is capable of generating this character sequence (print x number of 'a').

This is the essence of intelligence: being able to look at data and create a much smaller program that can replicate the data.

Insanity, on the other hand, is the exact opposite: looking at data and creating a program to generate the data that is larger than the data itself. It's creating anti-patterns instead of finding patterns, introducing complexity instead of decreasing it. So instead of creating the program listed above, or simply echoing the character string, an insane machine would say (print abcda delete the last four characters, print badcd, delete the last 5 characters, print another a, etc.). This, I think, is the basic premise behind Marxism and other religions.

The popular definition, doing the same thing twice and expecting different results, is not a very good definition. If you do the same play twice in football, the play will probably fail the second time even if it worked the first time. This would also preclude the use of repeated trials in science, and nobody's stupid enough to give THOSE up. emot-biggrin

Last edited by zevrem (05-24-2013 12:42:47 PM)

#40 | Back to Top06-10-2013 09:28:48 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'll give you points for trying, but no, that's not relevant. Depression is not insanity.

Don't post in this thread again, please. You're not conducive to conversation in here.

Edit: http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/emotes/emot-frogout.gif

Totally using this from now on. Forgot I had it emot-rofl

#41 | Back to Top06-10-2013 08:08:38 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So uh, that made me think. About how we're describing depression here. And a possibility occurred to me.

A lot of the statistics for early childhood diseases seem on the rise. More autism, for example. Sure, it's possible that the population has just become more likely to be autistic emot-rolleyes because of immunizations emot-rolleyes, but it also seems likely that in the last few decades we've become more adept at identifying it, and more importantly, more likely to find it due to improvements in health care and parents being more likely to bring psychological and behavioral concerns for their children forward.

Intelligent children get, frankly, a world of attention above and beyond the rest--better access to child health services in the school, more observant less overworked teachers, and often (for better or worse) more parent involvement. Is it possible that we're not seeing more depression in this population, we're just seeing this population more?  Could it also be that we eagerly overdiagnose depression in these kids? Clinicians want an answer for unusual behavior, a sense of social isolation, or abruptly adult-like behaviors and outlooks too early in life. At this point I'd even suggest they are overeager for the diagnosis because there's an expectation that many intelligent kids suffer from it.

I know this doesn't address the adult population, but this connection people find between the two features seems often to begin early in life.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#42 | Back to Top06-10-2013 11:58:06 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Giovanna wrote:

Could it also be that we eagerly overdiagnose depression in these kids? Clinicians want an answer for unusual behavior, a sense of social isolation, or abruptly adult-like behaviors and outlooks too early in life. At this point I'd even suggest they are overeager for the diagnosis because there's an expectation that many intelligent kids suffer from it.

Has the criteria changed for being diagnosed as depressed over the years? That could be it too.

But if incidence of depressing in children is rising, it could be a lot of things. like not being able to safely go outside and play, shitty parenting, a lack of good role models... but I'm just conjecturing here. Maybe intelligent children are quicker to notice negative things in the news and the media, but we haven't taught them how to deal with it.

#43 | Back to Top06-11-2013 09:55:49 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Just gonna throw my short two cents in here. Depression in intelligent kids and teens was a thing when I was in high school, but I don't think it was a very well-documented or studied thing yet. Either that or my school had a shitty shrink for a counselor. She actually said to me once, and I remember it very clearly:

I've been doing this for years, and I've talked to a lot of kids. It always surprises me that it's the really intelligent ones, the ones you would think would be the happiest, that suffer from depression. Almost always. It's painful to watch, but just remember, you're definitely not the only one.

Of course, I never gave her the chance to help me, so I don't know if she was good at her job. When I couldn't (wouldn't) explain why I was freaking out, eventually she referred me to a psychiatrist, who put me on useless pills. If they'd known my mother was going insane, and that was why I was depressed, they might have done something. But then again that profession is full of useless http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/emotes/emot-circlefap.gif anyway.

#44 | Back to Top07-02-2013 07:36:30 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Back on topic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc … re/303534/

W. Gallagher wrote:

"A party animal doesn't dash off a Paradise Lost. The same high-strung families much afflicted by moodiness and depression are more likely than others to include writers and dancers, painters and composers. Happily, this strain is hypersensitive not only to stress and danger but also to art and nuance: as Byron wrote, 'Of its own beauty is the mind diseased.' Hagop Akiskal, after investigating (in collaboration with his wife Kareen Akiskal) what he calls 'the romantic idea that mental illness is related to creativity,' discovered a link not with disease per se but with a variation on the reactive disposition which he calls the 'cyclothymic temperament.' People of this type alternate rapidly between high and low levels of mood and activity which are far less marked than those of manic depressives. The 'down' spells foster contemplation and reflection; during the 'up' spells surging energy, ambition, confidence, and mental puissance drive hard work."

Ideas? Insights? Things gleaned? The entire thing is worth reading.

#45 | Back to Top07-02-2013 08:54:26 PM

zevrem
Banned

I was on Lamictal for "manic-depressive" behavior and was on and off the psychiatrist's couch for a couple years. I've gone through long, long cycles of rationalization and reflection, and I've come to the conclusion that mainstream psychiatry, which is all derived from Sigmund Freud any way, is bunk, and that pretty much the only things that are really valid are Pavlovian conditioning, operant conditioning, and some instinct.

Keep in mind that the only real purpose of psychiatry and, for that matter, morality in general, is to condition people to "fit in." There's no higher, more intelligent principle than that at work. The ideas that motivate the masses are vacuous and uninspiring, and, in most cases, nonexistent. You shouldn't really feel a need to accept them for anything other than practical purposes. Shame is a product of the internalization of these values, and it helps to realize that these values really aren't worth internalizing.

Last edited by zevrem (07-02-2013 08:59:44 PM)

#46 | Back to Top07-02-2013 09:51:32 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Yasha wrote:

I'll give you points for trying, but no, that's not relevant. Depression is not insanity.

Don't post in this thread again, please. You're not conducive to conversation in here.

Edit: http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/emotes/emot-frogout.gif

Totally using this from now on. Forgot I had it emot-rofl

zevrem wrote:

Anything.

Dude, what is going on in this forum? I thought people read and remembered things.

#47 | Back to Top07-02-2013 10:47:07 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Guess not. emot-biggrin

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, zevrem just got another, longer suspension.

#48 | Back to Top07-08-2013 04:03:20 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Syora wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Could it also be that we eagerly overdiagnose depression in these kids? Clinicians want an answer for unusual behavior, a sense of social isolation, or abruptly adult-like behaviors and outlooks too early in life. At this point I'd even suggest they are overeager for the diagnosis because there's an expectation that many intelligent kids suffer from it.

Has the criteria changed for being diagnosed as depressed over the years? That could be it too.

But if incidence of depressing in children is rising, it could be a lot of things. like not being able to safely go outside and play, shitty parenting, a lack of good role models... but I'm just conjecturing here. Maybe intelligent children are quicker to notice negative things in the news and the media, but we haven't taught them how to deal with it.

I guess no one has ever tought us to deal with our emotions. We are told to lie when someone asks us "How are you", we are told to pretend to be fine. If I weren't able to express my sadness, it would control me completely. I guess intelligent children socialise less and it may put them in a very vulnerable situation: less friends usually equals less social support.

I don't know if it's a rule but I know people who were very intelligent and had very poor social skills and consequently they couldn't develop their interpersonal intelligence.
I see a vicious cicle here: high intelligence -> less people to talk to about stuff you like -> less friends -> less social experience -> poor social skills -> more time spent alone -> higher intelligence & lack of social skills....
I suppose there are intelligent people who think they understand people but they cannot really get that understanding is one of many steps we have to take to communicate properly.

Also: I'm not sure if there are more depressed people or maybe we are just getting better at diagnosing it.

Last edited by dlaire (07-08-2013 04:04:51 PM)

#49 | Back to Top07-09-2013 06:09:59 AM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

I can see the whole social aspect of giftedness playing a part in our tendency towards depression. The older I got and the smarter I got, the harder it was for me to interact with other kids my age. I always felt like I was dumbing myself down for everyone else's sake and I got really resentful after a while. And in turn got lonelier and had more stress and mood problems.

I think a lot of the issue for a good number of gifted people is that while we're prone to depression, we're also prone to anxiety. Hence a lot of the social problems. I know how to act around people, I could probably have a lot more friends than I do if I got out and socialized more. But I'm terrified of people in general. And that seems to be the way a lot of gifted people are. It's not so much a lack of understanding in how to be social, but a feeling of fear to do so, usually because we feel different from most of the people around us. Especially if you were given a hard time for it when you were younger. A lot of gifted kids get bullied, and that can be pretty traumatic. I was considered a "social butterfly" by my teachers up until the third grade. I can safely place a good amount of blame on being harrassed for years on end for why I don't get warm fuzzies when I socialize with people I don't really trust.

As for why there are maybe more depressed kids nowadays, could it just be that over time the percentages of people prone to mental illness is increasing? Mental illness is very heritable. In families where it exists, it tends to exist in more and more people as the generations go on. And it does seem to get more severe as it travels down the bloodline. Maybe that combined with the stress of life today just means more and more kids have a natural predisposition toward depression and other MI

#50 | Back to Top07-09-2013 12:12:32 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Being bullied can make our social life miserable for decades, I really admire people who are capable of building healthy relationships after traumas.

When it comes to mental illness and bloodline and I agree we can be prone to some ilness genetically. I wonder how many problems we inherit and how many we... mimic. I'm pretty sure that I share some of my mother's problems because our behaviour is often shaped by our environment. It's easily observed that our vocabulary is influenced by people we spend time with. I get the feeling that the that horrible stress comes from the desire to control everything instead of accepting the fact we cannot control everything. We hear we can achieve everything, we can make our destiny and when we fail we feel punished for not trying too hard.

There are so many things out of our control that we get really, really scared. We try not to think about that - we pretend we are capable of controlling fully our lives.

Board footer