This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-03-2007 09:57:46 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Re: Harry Potter ...Theme Park?

Sevelle wrote:

I watched that History Channel special on Star Wars, let's just say Bush has an odd similarity to the Sith Lord.

I actually think the current pope looks like the emperor... the popetine... god... emot-gonk

And still think the park is a good idea, and knowing how millionary is the franchise they will try to do it right

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#27 | Back to Top06-03-2007 10:09:50 AM

CrystalRose
New Student
Website

Romanticide wrote:

I will be 22, never thought some of you were younger than me XD

Lol, what about older? I just turned 26 on May 10th.poptart

* ~ My Inner-child needs a good SPANKING! ~ *

#28 | Back to Top06-03-2007 10:14:54 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Well, the pope only has control over a very small region of the world. I don't think he'll be enslaving this planet any time soon...
Right???

In any case, I'm scared for the Harry Potter theme park. I mean it's new and fresh and popular now, but after Rowling published her last book this year, and after they finished making all 7 movies... I have a feeling people will lose interest in Harry Potter franchise completely, probably in about 20 years or so emot-frown

#29 | Back to Top06-03-2007 10:36:59 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Hiraku wrote:

In any case, I'm scared for the Harry Potter theme park. I mean it's new and fresh and popular now, but after Rowling published her last book this year, and after they finished making all 7 movies... I have a feeling people will lose interest in Harry Potter franchise completely, probably in about 20 years or so emot-frown

I'm not so sure about that, as huge of a worldwide cultural phenomenon that the series has become.  I see it having a legacy more similar to Star Wars, dare I say it - The Lord of the Rings (the HP books more than the movies in that case), or even Disney's "Golden Age" rather than dying a slow death into obscurity.  I think our generation(s) especially will keep Harry Potter around 20-30 years from now and beyond, and the kids of the future will still be discovering it for the first time.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (06-03-2007 10:40:05 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#30 | Back to Top06-03-2007 10:57:27 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

I'm not so sure about that, as huge of a worldwide cultural phenomenon that the series has become.  I see it having a legacy more similar to Star Wars, dare I say it - The Lord of the Rings (the HP books more than the movies in that case), or even Disney's "Golden Age" rather than dying a slow death into obscurity.  I think our generation(s) especially will keep Harry Potter around 20-30 years from now and beyond, and the kids of the future will still be discovering it for the first time.

That makes me feel so much better emot-smile

#31 | Back to Top06-03-2007 10:57:56 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Maybe it's because it looks so new to me, but I can't believe HP is going to become a classic like Disney films or LOTR... but sure the promotors of the Park think it will!
I hope they make something nice and funny, a well-done park emot-keke

Btw, I'd be 21 too emot-tongue

#32 | Back to Top06-03-2007 11:00:18 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I wonder if they'll ever make a theme park based on C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.

#33 | Back to Top06-03-2007 02:33:34 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

In terms of things reaching icon status, I can think of one off the top of my head that's happened in my lifetime...

20 years ago (I would have been 8), I never would have figured that a portly Italian plumber and his lanky brother that stomp on mushrooms and turtles would become one of the symbols of video game culture (more specifically, home console gaming) and remain so to this day.  The fact that I don't have to name them and just about everyone here probably knows who I'm talking about is evidence of this. The same could be said of a certain speedy blue rodent.

Classics never seem to be classics when they are evolving under your nose.  While some may see HP not having 'what it takes' to become a classic, I think it's got all the elements necessary going for it to become one.

One way or the other, we'll all find out in 2027 if we're still here to talk about it. emot-wink

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (06-03-2007 02:35:30 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#34 | Back to Top06-03-2007 04:33:41 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Well it helps that the plumber in question has kept himself busy for the past two decades, including getting a doctorate at some point. New material for Harry Potter pretty much ends this year, as the movies aren't going to introduce new concepts/characters/wizarding rules to the existing canon. Part of the reason Star Wars is so successful is from all the material inspired by the movies. Authors have written tons of books that expand the galaxy by a huge margin, and really make it into the fandom that it's become. Harry Potter has that kind of potential, as many fans have demonstrated, but my understanding is that J.K. Rowling doesn't want anyone else playing in her sandbox. Without approved of additions to the fandom, it's bound to stagnate and eventually lapse into obscurity. I don't know how it will look in only twenty years, I'm sure it will still be quite popular. However, as long as Rowling says the series has ended, there's no where for it to go but down.

About Lord of the Rings, until the movies were released it wasn't a huge thing. The books were 'required' reading if you fit into the stereotypical nerd profile or liked fantasy books, for the most part the biggest promotion of Tolkien's works was by D&D. The only thing which made LotR classic is that it was among the first stories in the fantasy genre, important for historical reasons as much as or more than the quality of the writing. (Of course, most of Tolkien's good ideas were actually taken from other sources, luckily no one cared.) The stories are modern mythology, with the benefit of clearer explanations (and the detriment of being way too long in my opinion) as well as being open to people of any religion, so long as they don't consider their religion to be against fictional stories of magic and elves or what have you.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#35 | Back to Top06-03-2007 05:25:53 PM

beautifulpanther
Qualified Duellist
Website

To be honest I don'T understand that Harry Potter hype anyway. The story is totally random, I quit reading it after the the second book and even the first bored me. Ok, everyone has it's own taste but why creating a theme park for it emot-confused

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/NicoRobin1985/wheebanner2.jpg
Bianca   *1989 - +14.09.2007

"A duel against a feather has nothing to do with provocation or letting you look like a fool. Duelling the feather, the essence of all art and truth written down on paper, is a duel against your inner self to find security and cognition" (©Octavian)

#36 | Back to Top06-03-2007 05:33:52 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Razara wrote:

But the Harry Potter fandom has lots of amusing fan-made things like this. emot-keke

YES! Potter Puppet Pals! emot-dance

Don't ask why, but three years ago, I had a crush on Neil Cicierega. Ai yai yai.

"Bother bother bother!"

Why couldn't I be there?!

Last edited by Rae (06-03-2007 05:35:55 PM)

#37 | Back to Top06-03-2007 06:29:39 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Teapot wrote:

Razara wrote:

I didn't think that I would like it at first, but then Kealdrea forced me to read them, and I ended up liking them. The concept itself made me think that I wouldn't like it, and it's vast popularity somehow turned me off from the idea.

But the Harry Potter fandom has lots of amusing fan-made things like this. emot-keke

I ~love~ the Potter Puppet Pals etc-love Forget about the books and the movies, they can't even compare.

"Snape.. Snape.. Severus Snape (DUMBLEDORE!!)"

Potter Puppet Pals wrote:

Hermione, "I love to learn!"

Harry, "I love magic!"

Ron, "I love you Harry!"

When Ron stated that, let's just say I was happy. God only knows how much I love me some Puppet Pals, and then the strong Harry-and-Ron-are-gay-lovers overtones in the series.

emot-biggrin

As for Harry being a classic, C.S. Lewis! Hello! He wrote the Chronicles years and years ago, and they're still popular! (Well not popular enough to have competed with other blockbusters at teh movies . . .) And I not need mention the Wizard of Oz series.

I think it is rather safe to say Harry's here to stay.

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#38 | Back to Top06-03-2007 06:36:36 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I like song section. Voldemort's amuses me. emot-biggrin

beautifulpanther wrote:

To be honest I don'T understand that Harry Potter hype anyway. The story is totally random, I quit reading it after the the second book and even the first bored me. Ok, everyone has it's own taste but why creating a theme park for it emot-confused

I've never liked the first two books all that much myself. When I reread them, I usually go in reverse order because if I start on the first book, I can never seem to finish it. The third book is my favorite.

#39 | Back to Top06-03-2007 07:09:28 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Razara wrote:

I've never liked the first two books all that much myself. When I reread them, I usually go in reverse order because if I start on the first book, I can never seem to finish it. The third book is my favorite.

THANK YOU emot-biggrin

The third is still my strong favorite. Everyone's always telling me it shouldn't be. Most people like the second or the fourth. I stopped reading after the fourth. I felt I outgrew HP in general. I like the stuff in HP but the plot is just ... not good enough for me. I've been an ueber LOTR fan for years and still read the books once a year around Christmas time.

But I'm still up for the park idea! Thinking about it again, there's enough stuff for everyone.

#40 | Back to Top06-03-2007 07:12:40 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I read Book Three in one week.  Then proceeded to burn through much of Book Four immediately after. As a result, until the movies came around for them, I would always confuse which events happened in which book. emot-biggrin

#41 | Back to Top06-03-2007 09:47:35 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Sevelle wrote:

As for Harry being a classic, C.S. Lewis! Hello! He wrote the Chronicles years and years ago, and they're still popular! (Well not popular enough to have competed with other blockbusters at teh movies . . .) And I not need mention the Wizard of Oz series.

I think it is rather safe to say Harry's here to stay.

It's definitely going to be remembered for quite some time. A decade from now when all of the special effects in the movies are considered laughably bad, people will rewatch them and reflect on how much they used to like it. But how many people are out there writing Scarecrow/Tinman slash right now? It's not that Harry Potter is a fad, it's just not going to be the phenomenon it is now; when the books and movies are all released and put on the shelf.

I don't think the theme park is a bad idea at all, and the sooner they get it going the better. If it's well done, it may well be the best legacy the series could hope for.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#42 | Back to Top06-03-2007 10:33:04 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Rae wrote:

Razara wrote:

THANK YOU emot-biggrin

The third is still my strong favorite. Everyone's always telling me it shouldn't be. Most people like the second or the fourth. I stopped reading after the fourth. I felt I outgrew HP in general. I like the stuff in HP but the plot is just ... not good enough for me. I've been an ueber LOTR fan for years and still read the books once a year around Christmas time.

funny most people I know love the third the most. I'm not really sure which one is mine XD

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#43 | Back to Top06-04-2007 04:34:44 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Sevelle wrote:

I watched that History Channel special on Star Wars, let's just say Bush has an odd similarity to the Sith Lord.

I laughed my ass off when they showed that.

As far as the theme park, yes I will go. It will kick the ass out of Disney, in my opnion.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#44 | Back to Top06-04-2007 08:50:39 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

bella wrote:

Sevelle wrote:

I laughed my ass off when they showed that.

"Either you're with us, or a terrorist!"

You know now that I think about it . . . Star Wars and everyday life seem to becoming one and the same . . . Oh god- Soon we shall have a 200 pound asthmatic "strangling" people and taking orders from a man with a butt head!!!

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#45 | Back to Top06-04-2007 09:52:25 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

And if Bush is the Emperor, what does that make Cheney?

Find out here.

Anyway, personally, I think the Harry Potter theme park is a terrific idea.  Hell, I'd go.  The maintenance staff has to dress up as half-giants and speak with Scottish accents, right?  Thought so.

#46 | Back to Top06-05-2007 01:14:15 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I think it could be fun - I quite like Harry Potter, as Rowling's style appeals to me and I'm a big fan of light-reading fantasy genre stuff (mostly Xanth and Discworld, really...). I also like theme parks in general, though I'm not a big fan of Disneyland but that's because I just don't really like Disney all that much. If I lived in the area, I'd go, but if I was visiting I think there would be other, more pressing demands on my time.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Board footer