This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#376 | Back to Top09-27-2010 12:08:24 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Re: The Lady Nilamarthiel Chronicles, Book One: The Quest for Good Health.

Well, yesterday I finally bit the bullet and started my crazy diet, so...yeah. Let's see how this works out. cool With that said, I was a bit weirded out yesterday to discover that when I checked my weight using my Wii, I'd dropped two kilograms from the last time I did it, about a month ago. Considering the crap I've been eating, that's...odd. Never mind. But I thought I'd mention it because I decided to keep a blog about this, and the theme of said blog is...Nanami! Partially it's because I was nicknamed Clarabelle Cow as a child (due to my name, not because of any actual resemblance; even though I'm a heifer now, I was a skinny little kid), but the other reason is a bit weirder. If I do manage to drop these pounds, I want to cosplay Nanami. Exactly WHERE, I have no idea, but I just really, really want to. I mean, I love to dress up...and I never do, because of how I look.

...god, you know, if I properly get skinny, my credit card is gonna kill me. LOLIGOTH HEAVEN HERE I COME. emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#377 | Back to Top09-27-2010 05:10:00 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Best of luck, Clarice!  I'll be keeping a look in at the blog.  Is that the "Cohen's" that you referred to in your LJ so often?  I was wondering what the heck it was.

#378 | Back to Top09-27-2010 06:10:08 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Yes, it's Cohen's -- it's a fairly restrictive diet, but I chose it because its principal focus in each meal is on vegetables and protein. And I get to have SOME carbs, admittedly just in the form of crackers. But it's better than nothing. emot-rofl I also have a fruit allowance, so...unlike some other diets I've seen, it actually seems fairly sensible and the last four weeks are dedicated to getting you back to eating all the food in the world...sensibly. Which is really what I need to learn how to do. school-devil

Last edited by Clarice (09-27-2010 06:10:27 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#379 | Back to Top09-27-2010 07:08:14 PM

Mylene

I read up on it, and it sounds pretty cool. Much better than the starvation diet another one of my friends is doing.  I don't even know how to tell her it's a bad idea.  She's supposed to eat 500 calories--a day!  That's not a diet, that's an eating disorder. emot-mad

#380 | Back to Top09-28-2010 12:10:30 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Mylene wrote:

That's not a diet, that's an eating disorder. emot-mad

That sounds scary. emot-frown I don't like the diets that take everything away from you, that's for sure. I mean, sure, I can't eat a lot of my favourite foods right now -- well, actually, basically all of them emot-rofl -- but I think that says more about my eating habits than the diet itself. And I've got something from all the food groups every day, so...yeah. If only I wasn't so damn hungry. With that said, it'll settle in a few days. My body's just pissed with me because I won't give it any bread or potatoes. school-devil

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#381 | Back to Top09-28-2010 02:32:21 AM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

I was doing so well up here in Canada the last couple weeks, carrying suitcases, pushing $400 of groceries a couple miles in a stolen Safeway cart, things like that.  But I totally blew it this weekend in Banff; the people I was with didn't want to go hiking and we ended up eating pretty much everything we came across for three hours.  I am really not trying to live down to the stereotype of the obese American, for reals.  emot-frown  But I'm going hiking on a different trip next weekend, so maybe that will help.  And the second time up in the mountains I might be able to actually breathe.

#382 | Back to Top09-28-2010 06:16:13 PM

Mylene

A few hours of eating does not a diet blow.  Don't sweat it, just dust yourself off and get back at it.  Dwell on what you do good and not on slip ups.

As for me, our treadmill arrived today. etc-love 23 minutes on it, 17 on the bike (was going to be 20 & 20 but Paradox wanted to switch a little early) and my knee didn't start hurting until the final 3 minutes.  I wasn't even wearing my brace. emot-dance

#383 | Back to Top10-02-2010 05:44:22 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Right, one week in on the diet? Three kilos down. emot-aaa The weightloss won't always be like that -- it's apt to be between eight to ten kilograms for the first month, then about five per month thereafter -- but still. After a couple of years of always hovering around the mid-eighties, I am well back into the seventies. emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance I can't wait until I get out of the "obese" categorisation on my Wii! school-devil

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#384 | Back to Top10-02-2010 06:11:04 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

So, I kinda just discovered that a lot my sinus problems have to do with my super high dairy consumption - especially now since I don't eat meat really.

Then I found out that when I was little I was supposed to get shots for my sinuses and that my family doctor recommended that I be put on something resembling a vegan diet (yogurt was still okay, I think because of the digestive bacteria and that's something I have a problem with.)

I want to try this.  However, there is  an eensy problem.

I love cheese. Like 'Dangerous-love-affair' love. Like one of my favorite meals is tomato soup and grilled cheese. I've made homemade french onion soup. Sometimes I just make cheese sandwiches. Sometimes I just eat cheese slices.

UGH FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK GUYS WHAT AM I GOING TO DO.

Last edited by Anji (10-02-2010 09:19:29 PM)

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#385 | Back to Top10-02-2010 06:28:42 PM

Mylene

First off, CONGRATULATIONS, Clarice!  You've been working so hard this week to follow you're diet, and I'm so glad that your weigh in went well.  You deserve this, remember that. etc-loveetc-love

Anji, I'm a big cheese fan as well, but after I started eating less of it, I found I also craved it at lot less.  Could you maybe just find a way to cut it bad slowly?  For example, if a normal snack would be 5 slices of cheese, have 3?  And if you can do that, maybe sometime instead of having a cheese sandwich you could change it out for something else?  Slowly work it down to a lower level and perhaps see even just cutting it little by little will improve your sinus issues?

#386 | Back to Top10-24-2010 03:32:24 PM

Mylene

I double-post a lot in this thread. cool

Anyway, when Claire started her diet, I was motivated to start getting a grip on my own eating and exercising again.  Conveniently, my work started their annual fitness program (6-weeks long, last year it was a steps challenge, this year it's more of a general exercise challenge) at the same time.  I decided to take advantage of empathizing with what Claire was going through (your blog posts were like reading my own past) and putting in some extra effort with the work thing too (although the way it's set up, the most they ever want me to exercise is 180 minutes a week, which is what I already do.)

On September 27 I was 141 pounds, and 1 month later I'm down to 136.  I'm hoping my Christmas present to myself might be to be back down to my goal weight of 130.  I'm getting a grip on myself again, something that I lost for about a year.  I think I needed that year to make me remember why I did all the hard work that I did, and to be careful of my relationship with food.  Plus, it wouldn't hurt me to work out a little more.  Just adding a few minutes each week has helped a lot.  I hadn't been working out nearly as hard recently (in large part due to disappointment over my knee), but now that I know that I'm not adding to injury with running (it's never going to get better), I think I might rekindle some of my energy. 

In a few weeks, I'll be doing the Jordan's Journey 5k.  This is the one Paradox and I did last year that got us wanting to start running.  Today, I decided to force myself to run an entire 5k, just to prove to myself I can still do it even without training, because I really want to run the Jordan's Journey course.  I succeeded in 34:25.  Given that I haven't run more than 20 minutes at once since early August (and I've only done that a couple of times), I'm extremely pleased with myself.  An official 5k can have a variance of 10% either direction, and JJ seems to be on the shorter side (although not as short as another one we did), so I could potentially finish it in 32 minutes or so.  Last year I mostly walked it. This year, I'll run the whole thing.  That's not something I thought I'd be doing.

#387 | Back to Top10-25-2010 02:38:00 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Well, reading your stuff is inspirational too, because already you're teaching me a lot about what I need to do once the diet is over! Because honestly, in the end, the hard work comes after all the weight is lost...keeping it off will be the real trick. So, watching you learning and living with your body is hugely helpful to me, and I know I'll be looking to you once I get to that point. Although really I am now anyway. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Beyond The Silver Leaves

Board footer