This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-21-2009 09:50:57 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Ohtori as an afterlife

....Anyone besides me see this as a possible interpretation?

The implication that graduation = death for Mikage does it for me, and also a general death-themes in the Black Rose Arc... Also Utena's odd disappearance, and no one remembers her at the end.

Also the fact that the campus is shaped like a keyhole.

...Wow look my art history major comes in handy! In ancient Japan, the first recognizable tombs of important people were in this shape. I realize it could just be the tomb of Dios, but it makes me wonder about everyone else.

20 threads dead so far.

#2 | Back to Top01-21-2009 10:48:41 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Re: Ohtori as an afterlife

When I first saw this thread topic, the first thing that hits me was actually Ohtori as a limbo, and everyone who is stuck in that limbo is actually waiting for the time when they are ready to be reborn again.

But, the tomb thing is quite interesting! I wonder if Wikipedia has picture of that

#3 | Back to Top01-21-2009 11:05:25 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

i think about this all the time, though i think it's less like a limbo for just anyone, and more like an afterlife wherein everyone is connected through the different problems and struggles they never were able to work out during life.

...like, i sort of believe that all of the "background" characters belonged to the group of villagers who ultimately ended up killing anthy, and that though everyone on the campus may not have met during their lives, their problems and respective unfinished businesses are so closely linked, that there in that afterlife, they were all drawn together somehow.

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

#4 | Back to Top01-22-2009 02:56:47 AM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

WMG @ TvTropes wrote:

Everyone at Ohtori is dead.
Their souls are stuck in a spiritual purgatory, created by two gods with distinct multiple personality disorders. Note, the campus itself resembles a funeral plot. Also, in the flashback, Utena's parents' funeral in her memories had a third, unusually small, coffin. Her "hiding" in it? It was hers. This is further supported by The Movie, where at least one major character with whom Utena interacts is in fact dead and has been for years.

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#5 | Back to Top01-22-2009 03:04:06 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Mock Puppet wrote:

WMG @ TvTropes wrote:

Everyone at Ohtori is dead.
Their souls are stuck in a spiritual purgatory, created by two gods with distinct multiple personality disorders. Note, the campus itself resembles a funeral plot. Also, in the flashback, Utena's parents' funeral in her memories had a third, unusually small, coffin. Her "hiding" in it? It was hers. This is further supported by The Movie, where at least one major character with whom Utena interacts is in fact dead and has been for years.

.....I never looked at TvTropes before. Now I am hooked.

And yeah I guess this interpretation is more generally accepted than I thought it was. Usually I prefer seeing Utena as a metaphor for growing up but I can also very definitely see the limbo concept as well, esp. if you factor in the movie with Touga being dead. One of the reasons I like the series so much is there can be multiple interpretations, and none of them are necessarily the absolute "right" interpretation.

20 threads dead so far.

#6 | Back to Top01-22-2009 10:05:40 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

school-freud
chews on the edge of a pipe
quite right, quite right.

#7 | Back to Top01-23-2009 02:32:34 AM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

hollow_rose wrote:

TvTropes has that effect on people.

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#8 | Back to Top01-23-2009 08:05:51 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

http://www.geocities.com/sefiru_kai/utena.htm
this, i found interesting.
i often forget about the movie, when i'm thinking about or analyzing Utena.

and, while this is less related to this particular topic, and more to my thoughts on the movie:
there's a scene in the movie, when you see a fractured image of Anthy's body.
as if several different photos of her body have been taken, only her upper chest is missing.
the camera zooms into the spot where her heart should be, and ...you see an image of Dios.

this is kind of a reference to a different thread, that i can't quite recall.
about Akio and Dios, and where the latter is. i remember someone cited that the series mention that she locked away the noble part of Dios... eh, my brain hurts right now, so i'm going to stop.

#9 | Back to Top01-24-2009 11:24:25 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Sometimes I think Ohtori is either Hell or an earthly place that Akio sculpted to his wishes. Mind you it's only Hell if characters, i.e., the Student Council Members, make it that way and they can't escape unless they let go of their selfishness.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#10 | Back to Top01-25-2009 04:23:06 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Mock Puppet wrote:

hollow_rose wrote:

TvTropes has that effect on people.

It's absolutely addicting.

But I'd like to think that Ohtori could be an afterlife or limbo. Or something like that. The movie much more so, though.

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

Board footer