This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-15-2011 10:39:48 PM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

La Fillette Révolutionnaire: Season II

In this thread, we will be makings of a continuation to Utena's story! What has happened after Anthy left Ohtori Academy? We're about to find out.

For each post, everyone takes turns to tell what happens in each new 'episode' of this season, like such:

Ep. 14: "The Boys of the Black Rose"

Utena realizes that Anthy disappears every Saturday night to visit her brother Akio, the acting headmaster of the school---but the relationship between the siblings are far from healthy or even legal. Akio is engaged to high-school student Kanae, daughter of the ill headmaster. Kanae loves Akio deeply, but feels distant from him and cannot bring herself to like Anthy. Meanwhile, the Black Rose Seminar appears in Ohtori Academy, led by "high-school" genius Mikage as a front for creating Duelists capable of defeating Utena. Instead of winning Anthy, he wants to kill and replace her with an ill boy in order to save his life. Mikage preys upon Kanae's fears to create the first Black Rose Duelist.

Si? It can be 'continuity' episode or 'filler.' And so, without further adieu, I start us off:

---

Ep. 1: "A Quick Brown Fox.."

It is 2006, and Anthy has already settled down in an apartment. For her day job, she works as a student counsellor at the University - helping depressed kids and giving academic advice to those who need it. Meanwhile, she cannot help remembering her experiences at Ohtori Academy. Especially Utena giving her the courage to save herself. By her desk are some pink roses she waters every day. It is revealed Anthy had endlessly sought the Earth for Utena, any trace of the pink-haired girl at all, but she couldn't be found in person.

It doesn't matter now. What matters is Anthy will treasure the moments she had, and carry Utena on in spirit. On occasion, Anthy exchanges scathing letters with her brother Akio; he holds tenure at Ohtori and in bitter words he wishes Anthy back with him.

One day, a mysterious pink-haired girl named Quon enters Anthy's office. Quon babbles on about life, the borders of the World, and kittens, before dropping a hard-boiled egg onto the floor. The egg doesn't crack.

But on the egg's shell is a rather familiar insignia; the Rose. Anthy immediately demands where the egg has come from, and who Quon is. The mysterious girl only replies, "where the one you seek awaits smiling." Then Quon walks away, with a white-haired pretty man following. Anthy picks up the egg. (Dun dun dun..! The next poster can fill in the blanks.)

Last edited by QQQQQ (11-15-2011 10:44:03 PM)

#2 | Back to Top11-16-2011 02:14:56 AM

Makubi
Touga Topper

Re: La Fillette Révolutionnaire: Season II

Ep. 2: Once Bitten...

The next day, and Anthy is walking through the campus on her way to her office, he eyes down, going over what Quon said about 'Where The One you Seek Awaits'. She is so lost in thought she collides with another member of the faculty, who kindly helps her pick up some case files which she had dropped (topmost on this pile is the case file for a student called Michuru who's file notes he suffers from depression brought on by the loss of his parents). Anthy idly asks the professor if he has heard of a student called Quon, and he replies that a student with that name transferred in about a month ago and has proven to be quite active in the student body. He motions to across the lawn where Quon walks with a groups of other girls, talking and laughing, and Anthy notices the white haired man watching her from a second floor window.

Later, Anthy is in her office, looking at the egg she was left by Quon. She flashbacks to the church scene from Seal of The Rose, only halfway through the scene child Utena and Anthy switch places and Dios is replaced by Akio.

She is surprised by the sound of a door opening and looks up to see Michuru, an ordinary looking boy with brown hair, standing in the doorway, apologizing for interrupting her. She smiles and asks him to come in and take a seat. As he does so he notes a large birdcage which stands on a small table by the window, and asks why it is empty. Anthy responds that she doesn't like to cage the birds, but keeps the cage as a reminder of someone she once knew.

She then begins her session with Michuru, asking about how he is holding up and how his studies are going, reminding him that there is always academic recourse in the face of family trauma. Michuru puts a brave face on it, and then freezes as he notices the rose crest on the egg Anthy is still idly playing with. She asks him what the matter is and he tells her that the crest is the symbol of a new game that his been making the rounds at the university. He says it has something to do with a fairy tale about a Prince and a Rose Bride; that if you can become engaged to the Rose Bride she will grant any wish you desire. Anthy tells Michuru that the fairy tale is a lie because the Rose Bride was freed from her cage a long time ago, and there are no wishes to be granted. He laughs it off, saying that it is just a fairytale, and Anthy shouldn't believe such stories.

Interlude: Chu Chu is playing on a windowledge, poking at some climbing roses with a stick. Without him noticing a small pink bird flies down behind him and pecks at his wiggling tail. With a little screech Chu Chu falls off the windowledge.

Fast forward a week, and Anthy is back in her office, waiting for Michuru to come in for his weekly session. As she checks the clock on the wall, a voice tells her Michuru won't be coming. She looks round to see Quon standing in the doorway. Quon goes on to tell Anthy that Michuru tried to play the game, so that the Rose Bride would grant his wish, which she presumes was to bring back his parents, but that he has failed and 'fallen off the Border of the World''. Anthy remains silent, and Quon asks whether she would like to know what that means. She continues that 'the one who waits smiling lies beyond the Border of the World'.

Telling Anthy she doesn't want to take up any more of her time, she closes the door. By the time Anthy has reached the door and opened it, there is nothing but the usual throng of students outside in the corridor.

Last edited by Makubi (11-16-2011 06:46:59 AM)

#3 | Back to Top11-16-2011 03:57:51 PM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

Ep. 3: "Enter the Duel"

A brief glimpse of what appears to be Space. Amidst colourful nebulae and stars, three racers whiz across a floating "highway" at blazing speed. One of them tries bashing the other two off the edge, and successfully takes one off-course (along with himself). As the two racers float away into abyss, a deep masculin voice says, "Suffer, my darlings." The third racer disappears into the distance.

Anthy awakens to a phone call from the University - there are two kids waiting for her attention. When she gets there, Anthy meets the first kid: Okabe, age 19, star student majoring in Computer Science, and who says he lost his ability to dream. And because he can't dream anymore, Okabe has also lost the will to pursue his studies; he only sits in his dorm room staring at the wall with ennui. Anthy tries cheering him up, "You always have a future ahead of you." But Okabe turns away. He notes the egg sitting on her desk, and points out that he had an egg like hers, but it shattered into many pieces. Then he leaves.

The next student, Haruka, couldn't be found anywhere.

Disturbed, Anthy mulls over the incidence. She has a faint inkling the egg Quon dropped earlier has something to do with this. Remembering what Quon said earlier, Anthy tries to call her to her office, but Quon appears to have all her class timeslots occupied. Busy-body. Thus, Anthy tries to learn the significance of the egg with Woogle's(Google) help, and stumbles across a forum, titled "Wish-Granter's Foundation." Searching the forum, she learns of the secret duels organized every two weeks, at a randomly selected place in the University campus. The students who have been granted eggs are allowed the opportunity to make one of their desires come true with the Rose Bride. To fulfill their dreams, they must compete in a racing duel of up to four players. Winner take all, losers don't make the call. Testimonies include one's lifetime vacation in the Bahamas, how a friend was saved from cancer, to how one-true-pairing happened with so-and-so, and how someone gained phenomenal artistic abilities.

This is no good! The site doesn't mention much of who's behind this activity, but the next duel will be taking place tonight at the gym. 8:00 sharp. Who is this new Rose Bride?

After a nice thali with Chu-Chu, Anthy goes to the hallway outside the gym, where a red-headed exchange student girl, Asuka, also waits. Asuka jeers caustically at Anthy, but Chu-Chu crawls onto Anthy's shoulder and gives that brat a nice raspberry. *pfffty* Asuka asks what wish could Anthy possibly make, that could beat her longing to make her parents proud of her. Anthy isn't sure herself; asking for Utena back would be a little selfish of her.

Then the white-haired boy shows up, with a key in hand. ("Is this everyone?") He unlocks the gym doors, and asks the two to follow inside. His name is Ayato, and he transports them into the same Space Arena we've seen at the beginning. Anthy is bedazzled. At the start of the "highway", Ayato instructs the two to pull out their eggs, and hold them palm up. Then, they must swear the Oath to Order, and upon doing so, their eggs magically transform into futuristic-looking racers. (Just like Tron!)

Before the race begins, Ayato mentions the rules:
1. The first to reach the end of the course gets to meet with the Rose Bride, whom the winner can ask for a single wish.
2. Whoever is knocked off the skyroads, or have their eggs destroyed is "disqualified."

Anthy realises what disqualification means. It's what happened to Okabe, to Haruka and Michiru when they fell off the Border of the World. No, she must win at all costs! She decides to wish for those lost to be able to dream again.

The race is very exhilarating. At first, Asuka gains a big lead over Anthy -- how does one race these things anyway? But when the track comes to a huge loop-de-loop, we flashback to a memory where Utena is duelling with all the other students, and Anthy was watching by the side. Suddenly, Utena's passion shines through Anthy, and Anthy's racer manages a boost of great speed. She overtakes Asuka and reaches the end of the road.

In a blaze of white light, Anthy spots a blurry form approaching her. Anthy tries asking for all the losers to be restored to normal, but the Rose Bride says she can only affect up to three people at once. Thus, listing Michiru, Okabe and Haruka's names, Anthy wishes for them to be able to dream again.

The next morning, Anthy sees that her wish has come true. She sees Michiru by the foyer, daily business as usual, and - eyes meeting, they exchange a smile. Asuka is there as well, and the redhead shakes her fists, promising revenge one day.

Last edited by QQQQQ (11-16-2011 04:57:48 PM)

#4 | Back to Top11-29-2011 07:00:27 AM

wblstudios
Banned

Just for reference... is this supposed to be serious, or are we just allowed to pull anything and everything out of our collective asses?

#5 | Back to Top11-29-2011 07:18:54 AM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

Anything you want.. well, as long as you're not just turning it into a giant tatter. (Keep it comprehensible.)

#6 | Back to Top11-29-2011 07:53:18 AM

wblstudios
Banned

(deletes the Utena / ECW / House / Family Game Night crossover he was slapping together and starts working on something relatively serious... which is gonna be hard if I can't check the board until Saturday.  Luckily, nobody has done anything with Juri, Ruka and Shiori yet...)

#7 | Back to Top11-29-2011 10:41:22 AM

wblstudios
Banned

(I actually had to stop myself from writing a full episode, and just writing a summary.  I have multiple ideas for episodes now, so expect me to try to be more active in this thread.  I also added a couple little 'lists' other people can feel free to use in their chapters... just for the heck of it.  Actually, looking at this as it ended, I'm actually willing to write 'episodes' like this for the entire Student Council... of course, I don't want to be greedy and bogart them all for myself.  But if anyone's interested, that's the direction I'm willing to take, and how I'm willing to contribute.  Inasmuch as, instead of doing the usual and writing these episodes at home and posting them online, I'm willing to write them while I'm online, so as not to step on anyone's toes.)

[Story redacted by Yasha as per wbl.]

Last edited by Yasha (05-25-2012 10:56:40 PM)

#8 | Back to Top12-03-2011 11:12:19 AM

wblstudios
Banned

(Well... seems nobody objects.  I'm willing to write a Student Council episode episode twice a week... either that, or this thread is dead.)

Last edited by Yasha (05-25-2012 10:57:28 PM)

#9 | Back to Top12-07-2011 11:19:59 AM

wblstudios
Banned

(... no objections?)

Last edited by Yasha (05-25-2012 10:58:05 PM)

#10 | Back to Top12-07-2011 12:10:38 PM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

(Reading through your episodes 5 and 6 makes me feel like I'm watching Student Council soap opera time. While I can't argue your choice of plot occurrences or taste in music, it does seem a little jarring to suddenly shift things over to "What has the Student Council members been up to lately?" I'm still eager to read what you've got -- my programming assignment is keeping me busy.)

Last edited by QQQQQ (12-07-2011 12:18:17 PM)

#11 | Back to Top12-07-2011 01:18:39 PM

wblstudios
Banned

Nobody else was posting.  You said it was alright to write about what you wanted, what you liked, as long as you kept it comprehensible.  I'm a fan of the Student Council and Souji Mikage.  I can't really write too well about the original characters since I'm not the one who created them.  Nobody else was posting, so I decided I'd take a shot it, and write what I knew, and what I liked.

Consider this an arc, I guess.  If there's no objections, I'll type something up for Touga on Saturday (And I'll write it while I'm online, just in case someone posts a chapter before then), then go ahead and kick back and wait.

#12 | Back to Top12-08-2011 12:59:33 PM

Makubi
Touga Topper

Sounds good, I'm quite happy to wait for your Touga chapter before I think about writing anything else. And feel free to do whatever you want with Michiru, I was kinda expecting him to stay dead so I have no plans for him emot-tongue

#13 | Back to Top12-10-2011 09:05:10 AM

wblstudios
Banned

(The 'Asuka' in Episode 3 sounds a bit like Asuka Langley Soryu.  But I'm going to treat her as if she was an original character.  And I'm trying to use those previously introduced characters, not to step on anyone's toes, but to try to tie this 'arc' in with the original three episodes, which was originally a complaint.  Also, again, anyone can go ahead and post a chapter, but I think I have one more chapter of this 'arc'left in me, tying the Student Council together, later on.  But I'm willing to hold off.)

Last edited by Yasha (05-25-2012 10:58:57 PM)

#14 | Back to Top12-14-2011 12:11:41 PM

wblstudios
Banned

(Well... I guess this technically ends the "Student Council" arc.  I know some of you might be pissed off at me for kind of hijacking this thread but honestly, nobody else was posting here.  I really hope I didn't end up killing this thread off.  This thread kind of helped me rediscover that love for fan-fiction I was losing after I completed Extreme Bishoujo Wrestling.  So, for that reason, thanks.  Any feedback would be appreciated.)

Last edited by Yasha (05-25-2012 10:55:47 PM)

#15 | Back to Top12-27-2011 06:46:25 AM

wblstudios
Banned

Picture and link deleted.  Go to the "I Just Gotta Say" board to find out why.

Last edited by wblstudios (01-04-2012 01:50:19 PM)

#16 | Back to Top12-27-2011 11:52:10 PM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

*giggles!* Nanami looks like one of my bouncy ball seats. Juri's incredibly buff -- what the hell happened to Saionji and Touga? Touga looks like having a raging hard-on. emot-rofl

#17 | Back to Top01-04-2012 01:50:44 PM

wblstudios
Banned

I'm officially done with this thread.  It looks dead, as is my inspiration for writing it.

#18 | Back to Top02-29-2012 02:35:04 PM

wblstudios
Banned

Since this thread hasn't been touched for two months, does anyone have any objection with me posting my five chapters on my Deviantart page?  If Makubi or QQQQQ demand it, I could edit out references to the first three chapters.

BTW, bridges with the artist have been mended, so I'm reposting the picture he did for my chapters in this season.

[Picture redacted by Yasha as per wbl.]

Last edited by Yasha (05-25-2012 10:59:53 PM)

#19 | Back to Top03-02-2012 07:54:55 PM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

Sure go ahead. And in turn, might I perhaps retcon some elements of your elements for later episodes?

#20 | Back to Top03-03-2012 11:47:49 AM

wblstudios
Banned

So... what you're saying is you DO want to continue this thing... but you don't want the work I did involved?

#21 | Back to Top03-03-2012 09:50:32 PM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

I'm considering writing more posts if I find the time. It's a little fascinating I find to write for a television series, an ongoing story, and it'll be interesting expressing what Utena is from our own viewpoints. This is not to say the writing you did was crummy (reading it made me laugh in light of the Student Council members' future) - I'm thinking there should be some room for variances, a "Depending on the Writer" allowance. A few things I disagree on, like turning Nanami into an exercise ball libby, that I might rectify later to give her character more depth.

#22 | Back to Top03-04-2012 07:21:49 PM

wblstudios
Banned

Well, if anyone remembers, I WAS trying to wait to give people time to post on their own, add their own say.  But NOBODY was doing it.

And I didn't say Nanami was immobile fat.  I just said she was fat.  That was one artist's particular art style.  That's his interpretation.

If anyone wants to continue this, I'm all for it.

#23 | Back to Top03-07-2012 11:54:06 AM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

Ep. 9: "The Nine Sisters (Part 1)"

Anthy asks the faculty management for more funding. There is hardly any decoration (or coffee for that matter) by her office; the bareness compared to the other offices makes her feel uneasy, and almost envious. They'll think about it, they say. In the meanwhile, she waters the pink rose at her desk.

By lunch, she walks around the postmodernist campus, greeting the students passing her by, and orders some noodles from the Sobi Noodle Kiosk - served by Yours Truly (Y.T.). In the midst of being served, Anthy spots a girl being slapped in the face by another girl-- the slapped girl wobbles, on the verge of crumbling to the ground like stacked cards, and then she runs away, burying her tears in her hands.

Anthy approaches the Meanie Girl (Keiko) - how could she have done this? Keiko tells her, Sanae has dishonoured herself and squandered her membership in Cafe Tea Étaín; what Keiko gave her was the slap of disenchantment, a rejection. Tea Etain is one of the highest ranking clubs in the university, serving drink and coffee, and to visit their services is to be touched by royalty. But to serve onboard as a member, that is an even higher honour. People will fall heads over in your presence - at least, if you keep up appearances and play your part right. In a way, you're trapped in the gilded cage of respect.

Some club, Anthy thinks. Heading back to her office, Anthy has a new appointment from one Sanae Kobayashi, tomorrow around noon.

#24 | Back to Top03-21-2012 11:59:00 AM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

Ep. 10: "The Nine Sisters (Part II)"

"Stories of the supernatural are always optimistic. Supernatural fiction and ghost stories are positive with the basic suggestion that we survive death. If we survive death, that's optimistic."

"What about Hell?"

"I don't believe in Hell."

---

Sanae arrives at Anthy's office in the following afternoon - looking as if lively life has been sucked away from her veins. Her legs visibly wobble and a cold sweat has broken over her forehead. Worried, Anthy offers her a glass of warm oolong tea - "It helps soothe the body." Then Anthy asks Sanae some consoling questions, to break the ill feelings and make her more comfy.

We switch into Sanae's mental glimpses, the faces of Keiko, Romeo and Kyoka (Tea Etain presidents) staring back at us-- at her. A cup drops, shattering and sending droplets of white coffee over Kyoka's legs. Then the sound of a sharp slap.

As we cut three weeks earlier, Sanae narrates how she stumbled into Tea Etain. She only vaguely heard about the club beforehand, except one time when a friend had her try out some mocha frotte - it's expensive, 1,200 yen! But delightfully so, the sweet, nuanced taste is far beyond priceless. It was only when by chance, Sanae heard about public auditions into the club for waitressing - she has loans to pay off, and she imagined she could do a good job at service.

Little did she know how prestigious the club was. Besides her, there were numerous chicas vying to be part of the elite. The auditions took place in the midst of campus fields - where Keiko and Romeo introduced the challenge. They'll watch how you pour tea for the twelve tasters by the table. It's intimidating when the entire crowd of auditioners are hoping you'll fail, one way or another, so they have one less to worry about.

Sanae happened to be one of the front-liners.

(To be continued.)

Last edited by QQQQQ (03-21-2012 12:06:27 PM)

Board footer