This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-01-2010 07:56:21 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Random people's response to Utena duel themes?

I find it to be the best thing ever. I was playing Juri's 2nd duel song in the car while driving, had my sunglasses on looking all bad and the people nearby were just dumbfounded. Have any of you ever experienced this awesomeness?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#2 | Back to Top03-01-2010 10:38:45 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Re: Random people's response to Utena duel themes?

Never played them around random people seeing how self-conscious I am.  The only person I played them around was my best friend which was met with indifference.  We are both big anime nerds (him more so), so it's like 'no big deal.'  We're both so freaking nerdy and weird in our interests that it's like 'anything goes.'

#3 | Back to Top03-01-2010 11:32:44 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

They're not THAT strange. I play them all the time. And I get weird looks from people who clearly don't know what music is.

But I don't think they're that strange. More recent Seazer releases make people uncomfortable in my apartment. Older ones make people leave. Utena-Seazer makes people slam doors on me.

...I like to play the older ones obviously. And of you have sexy time with me, you better be prepared for Shintokumaru.

(I cannot live without Seazer, no.)

#4 | Back to Top03-02-2010 08:41:11 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

I don't consider the music weird, either, but certainly 'different' enough to potentially be considered so by people, at least in this part of the world.  Though my self-consciousness is more towards all of my personal tastes which I tend to hide from others, which is more my drift.

#5 | Back to Top03-02-2010 03:02:39 PM

Katieryn
Rose Smilee

My best friend and I exchange mixed CDs periodically, and I put "Virtual Star Embryology" on one. He said, and I quote, "What the fuck is this awesome thing?!"

"If Utena was a novel, you'd be studying it in college." -- EM site info

We're patient for now, and we're patient for tomorrow, when the past will redeem all the toil extreme and all the sorrow.

#6 | Back to Top03-02-2010 07:39:42 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

My friends mostly don't know that I like anime at all, and even if they do know, they don't know the extent so anything Utena music related does not ever reach them.  It's like a double life I'm living xD

#7 | Back to Top03-02-2010 07:54:20 PM

Hermine
Anthy Assailer
Website

The scene: working on the school newspaper and listening to Hermine's iPod. Orpheus comes on.

Hermine's friend: Is that the death march?! It's scaring me!

Hermine's Utena-liking friend: Yes! We want your soul!

...not a duel theme, but fun times.

#8 | Back to Top03-07-2010 06:17:05 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

LOL~

My cousin and my niece loved Rinbu Revolution and TRUTH to pieces. My beautiful, lovely cousin... *glomp* (Swear to god, nothing sexual-she is just gorgeous inside and out)

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#9 | Back to Top03-19-2010 05:32:56 AM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

My dad first heard them in the car w/ me. His response: "This sounds like a religious song, like a bunch of people fighting to die for their beliefs in the Crusades."

"To copulate is to enter another...and the artist never emerges from herself."
-Charles Bauldelaire

Board footer