This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-13-2012 08:40:51 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Food Detox

Food Detox is what Light does when she spends the better part of month eating fast food (and always in my car.  I have this weird thing where I like eating in my car.  I'll stop my car in a parking lot and finish my meal if I find I'm getting home quicker than anticipated.  srs I dunno).

Diets are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much work though, and switching from super easy instantly gratifying fast food to labor and time intensive healthy nerd food can kill off my desire to continue eating well.  Kinda like starting out a plan to exercise more by doing an hour long, super-intense workout and then promptly giving up.

SO.

Instead I go for a week of two of eating simple, simple food.  Not unhealthy, not exactly the healthiest, but easy food that isn't 10,000 calories to start me up.  I eat the same thing every day to control costs of food and make cooking simpler for about two weeks.  I also use only stuff that's already hanging around my kitchen so that I'll create space for my new, actual more long time diet thingy foods when I start it. 

DETOX:

Oatmeal with strahburries in the morning! UNH!

Carrots and ranch dip and macadamia nuts for lunch!  HOO RAH!

Scrambled eggs soon after because srs carrots and nuts like that's actually going to fill me up.  THATS COO I GUESS!

Two cans of different vegetables cooked together with a baked potato and fruit cup.  LOTS OF FIBER!

Throughout the day I drink Silk Vanilla soy milk instead of my usual soda.  EW WATER.

Any of youz alls has your own detox weeks?  When the diet has less to do with weight and more to do oh god what have I been putting inside my veins???

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (04-13-2012 09:19:18 PM)

#2 | Back to Top04-15-2012 11:11:36 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Re: Food Detox

I sure do.  I need to start drinking more water so I've begun weaning myself by switching to it and Diet Dr. Pepper again.  It's funny. When you're done detoxing and have junk food for the first time in months you feel funny. I can't describe it. You're not grossed out or lethargic. It's like wearing a really loud outfit at a business meeting.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#3 | Back to Top04-17-2012 10:14:21 AM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Riri-kins wrote:

I sure do.  I need to start drinking more water so I've begun weaning myself by switching to it and Diet Dr. Pepper again.  It's funny. When you're done detoxing and have junk food for the first time in months you feel funny. I can't describe it. You're not grossed out or lethargic. It's like wearing a really loud outfit at a business meeting.

I think that's a perfectly valid way to describe it! Loud suit at a business meeting - Check!

As for my detox weeks, I tend to lean towards straight up milk and V-8 juice in lieu of soda, hummus, with either carrots or cucumber for dipping, instead of the usual snack foods and I make a staple out of my marti gras rice (which is just a doctored brown rice with carrot, egg, red cabbage, roasted sesame seeds and whatever peppers I can dig up.) Surprisingly, this is less of gas inducing blend than you'd think. Which I only say because I know somebody read that ingredients list and was wondering!

Detox periods for me also tend to be punctuated by specific urges for:
- oatmeal with fruit (high-five!)
- maki sushi (which cannot always be afforded)
- roasted birds (I don't get as much protein as I should, so this is detox for me)
- and fresh salad (for which I inherited the superpower from my mom to be able to eat with no dressing whatsoever so long as there's cheese or meat of some kind mixed in)

Edit: forgot the sesame seeds.

Last edited by Rotten Mooring (04-17-2012 10:27:39 AM)

#4 | Back to Top04-17-2012 06:46:47 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I'm going to sound like a total pretentious prick for this, but I just want to put it out there. Please understand that I'm not trying to rip apart what you're doing. I'm no expert, but I've been trained in exercise science and nutrition as part of my job. So I just ask you to consider what I have to say and take it with a grain of salt (or two).

The term "detox" is inaccurate because the toxins that such diets are supposed to eliminate are undefinable. True detoxification occurs when you remove classifiable poisons such as drugs or alcoohl from the body. It sounds largely as if what you guys are doing is focusing on caloric restriction, with some nutrition added in (I see an increase of plant sterol and stanol intake, which is great).

Now, there's nothing wrong with caloric restriction. It's can be a very healthy shift. HOWEVER, the first thing that happens when your body senses it's being deprived of precious caloric intake is that it goes into starvation mode. That puts your body under considerable strain as your digestive system goes into overload, depriving as much nutrients from food as possible and storing them quickly into your fat cells. Shifting back and forth based on the week is called yo-yo dieting, and there's a whole host of research that shows how bad it is for you.

The reason why you're so hungry after an abrupt shift from fast food is because your body is recovering from sudden caloric deprivation. It takes about two weeks for your body to adjust to a new diet without triggering the starvation signals. If you're constantly shifting your diet back and forth, you're not allowing your system to recover. It's a very easy way to actually gain more weight (because the second you start eating more calories again, EVERYTHING will convert into fat) and produce long-term adverse health effects.

My advice (again, take this cautiously) is to start integrating these healthier foods slowly and gradually. Do a little more of a change each day. Then, stick with your developments for the long-term. Please please reconsider these "detox" periods.

Last edited by Katzenklavier (04-17-2012 06:50:03 PM)

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#5 | Back to Top04-17-2012 09:01:24 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The flipside to that (which is unfortunately true, from a nurse perspective) is that if your diet is consistently healthy and reasonable as far as amount of intake, you're actually much more capable of having a 'binge' day without major repercussions. Your body won't think it needs to save all the crap you took in.

Which is what I'm telling myself after eating fish and chips for dinner and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. emot-rolleyes

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top04-18-2012 08:14:49 AM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Katzenklavier wrote:

I'm going to sound like a total pretentious prick for this, but I just want to put it out there. Please understand that I'm not trying to rip apart what you're doing. I'm no expert, but I've been trained in exercise science and nutrition as part of my job. So I just ask you to consider what I have to say and take it with a grain of salt (or two)..

It's not pretentious, it's just concern emot-wink. I think we're all knowingly using the word "detox" incorrectly - going for the way it's used in the media, not the way it's used by professionals in the health industry. I know what OnlyInThisLight means when she talks about skipping over to a healthier diet for a short period, not for calorie cutting reasons but for more psychosomatic reasons. It's good to come out and clarify the point though. I hadn't been thinking about it at the time, but I would actually feel rather poorly if someone were to drop in here for a lurk and leave misinformed.

#7 | Back to Top04-18-2012 09:11:24 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Being that I used to be a fat kid, but has maintained a stable lean-built for more than a decade afterwards, please allow me to say something on this matter regarding an actually healthy diet.

Oatmeal in the morning is fine so long as it is without man made sugar of any kind.  The more you eat in the morning, the less hungry you'd be for the rest of the day, so eat lots.  Add fresh bananas for flavor if it's too bland for you.  Some people like adding kiwis too, but I'd only advise that if you're taking your oatmeal without milk, like just water.

Ranch dip and salad dressing of any kind is FAT and will make vegetables even more unhealthy than meat.  For me, I water boil my vegs slightly, without oil, and just eat them that way during lunch, dinner.  Eat the eggs for lunch but preferrably not dinner, as they're harder to digest overnight and might have more fattening effects as dinner.

In general, eat bigger lunches than you do dinner.  AVOID midnight snacking.

Canned vegetable and beans have little value health-wise and lots of greese so scratch that.  Eat the fresh stuff if possible.  Sprinkle slight amount of salt for flavor if you need it.

You can actually eat meat and stay healthy, lots of it even.  But you need to choose lean portions and/or white meat, or you'll have to cut out the raw fat before cooking it so your animal oil intake takes minimal. 

Eat fish belly portions of the fillet, or fish heads if you know how to prepare them, regularly for collagen to keep skin FIRM.

Stay away from soft-drink and sweetened shakes of all kinds - they'll easily give you not just fat, but diabetes.  STICK TO WATER OR GREEN TEA when possible.  Also avoid coffee as that causes indigestion and make food stay in the bowels longer and make your intake more fattening to you.

Eat oranges or other such grapefruit throughout the day when you think water's too bland.  Eat fresh pepper with your meals to lower meat/starch intake.  Apples before dinner is a good way to keep dinner volume low.

Baked potatoes are fine so long as they're baked with minimal or no oil.

Eat only until you feel your stomach sac fill up, then stop.  Do not have your stomach-sac stretching (a visible bump will be a warning sign) as that will give you increasingly large stomach and larger appetite in the future.

Try eating bakery items (cream cakes, pastries, donuts and such) and ice creams no more than one day per week (and none if you don't even like that stuff), as excessive intake  will make the face go bloated and without definition even before they make you lose figure.

The above with moderate exercise like lifting light barbells, hula hooping,  and walking often should give you that Utena-ish built already:wink:

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#8 | Back to Top04-18-2012 11:08:59 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I too shall throw in my two cents, since I love nutrition and am finishing my degree on Nutrition and Food Science this week (yipee!)

There are many, many variations across cultures on what a healthy diet is. What is common between them is abundance of fruits and vegetables, low meat and cheese intake and generally smaller portions. Some diets, like the Mediterranean Diet, push for high amounts of fat. The key here is that not all fats are created equal. Plant oils are a good source of Vitamin E and essential fatty acids (especially omega-6's). If we're talking omega-3's, the other essential fatty acid, then you want to look for fatty fish sources such as herring and sardines, while avoiding older, predatory fish species. I'd advise trying to cut down on your salmon, since fisheries are strained on the verge of collapse, and aquaculture is incapable of both meeting demand or being sustainable.

Lastly, the food system here in the US and Canada is quite skewed towards convenience and packaged foods. These are poor choices as they tend to be high in sodium, lower in potassium and generally less nutrient dense. I applaud any attempt at having more fresh fruits and vegetables, at any time of the week. What is probably the worst thing about all this convenience is that it is removing us from the food that we eat. We no longer have a healthy, happy relationship with food. Instead of seeing it as something to be enjoyed and savored in its preparation and nomming, we just kind of eat it and go, and see it as something to be managed.

And let us not get started on standards or perceptions of beauty, and how damaging they are to our health and mind.

#9 | Back to Top04-18-2012 03:47:46 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Rotten Mooring wrote:

Katzenklavier wrote:

I'm going to sound like a total pretentious prick for this, but I just want to put it out there. Please understand that I'm not trying to rip apart what you're doing. I'm no expert, but I've been trained in exercise science and nutrition as part of my job. So I just ask you to consider what I have to say and take it with a grain of salt (or two)..

It's not pretentious, it's just concern emot-wink. I think we're all knowingly using the word "detox" incorrectly - going for the way it's used in the media, not the way it's used by professionals in the health industry. I know what OnlyInThisLight means when she talks about skipping over to a healthier diet for a short period, not for calorie cutting reasons but for more psychosomatic reasons. It's good to come out and clarify the point though. I hadn't been thinking about it at the time, but I would actually feel rather poorly if someone were to drop in here for a lurk and leave misinformed.

Mooring put it perfectly.  The word detox is just hyperbole on my part.  It is not about cleansing ones bowels or loosing weight, it is more like suddenly needing to eat simple, small, home-made, fresh and low-impact meals for awhile after eating heavy, pre-packaged and grease-soaked fast food stuffs for too long.  When I move into my actual healthier new eating routine, it'll be much less of a routine and involve a lot more food.

#10 | Back to Top04-20-2012 02:08:38 AM

Rebel Prince
Mikage Mistruster

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

(and always in my car.  I have this weird thing where I like eating in my car.  I'll stop my car in a parking lot and finish my meal if I find I'm getting home quicker than anticipated.  srs I dunno).

God, I thought I was the only person in the universe who did this. I can't even go to the grocery store without eating a cereal bar or something out of the box when I get in my car. Sorry to be off-topic, but I flipped when I read that emot-aaa

#11 | Back to Top04-20-2012 05:49:59 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

And let us not get started on standards or perceptions of beauty, and how damaging they are to our health and mind.

I think a person's physical appearance is kind of like a food item's flavor: it's simply something that incite an involuntary reaction in people.  There's a Chinese belief that the craving for beauty and the craving for food flavor are both part of human nature and could not (and should not) be repressed.  To deny a look that is obviously beautiful would be just as silly (and ultimately, futile) as it is to deny a food item that obviously tastes good.

That being said, different people do have different tastes, and beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder.  Not everyone can conventionally beautiful, but everyone WILL find someone who thinks they're beautiful if they get to meet enough people.

I myself have no problem with people trying to look attractive, since appearance, like word choice and mannerism, is simply a part of a person's presentation to others.  It is only when people try and go against their predetermined physical factors (like bone structure and genetics) to look like something that they're not meant to look like that I get scared for them, knowing that it would land them in all sorts of trouble. 

p.s. The josei manga Helter Skelter, with its movie adaptation coming out this summer, deals with exactly this topic.  A review of it could be found on my blog for those who're interested (I know it's a shameless self plug, but I just couldn't resist when it seems so relevant to this thread's topic).

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#12 | Back to Top04-20-2012 09:48:14 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out! I love josei manga.

I more worry about American standards of beauty, which are extremely difficult for most people to attain. Another problem I have with it is that it is the primary measure of worth, especially for women. That's what I was really referring to. We can talk more about it in another medium, definitely.

#13 | Back to Top04-20-2012 11:33:27 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Hi syora!

I more worry about American standards of beauty, which are extremely difficult for most people to attain

I know this is going off topic from food detox, but I just can't resist commenting on this.

The problem with American standards, I think, is that mainstream American culture seem to promote going into blind, reckless extremes instead of treading with careful, sensible moderation; that, and the people there are constantly encouraged to take easy shortcuts when doing everything.  Thus, a quest for physical beauty the mainstream American way is most certain to fail, and not without horrific consequences emot-frown

#14 | Back to Top04-21-2012 12:43:17 AM

Rebel Prince
Mikage Mistruster

Has there been a thread discussing perceptions of beauty? It may be interesting to start one up.

#15 | Back to Top05-20-2012 12:40:05 AM

Brea_the_Brave
Saionji Slapper

I'm not a nutritionist so if anything in my routine is wrong or unhealthy please correct me. I would honestly love that as I can't handle getting sick  again.

I've found vitamins to be harsh on my stomach so I usually start the day with freshly juiced vegetables instead. My go to juice is a mixture of kale, romaine hearts, cucumber, garlic, and ginger. If I can afford it I add live algae but it's really expensive. I also have a glass of the vegetable juice in the evening before I go to bed. I only drink water the rest of the day and I don't restrict my food intake. I do try to get my iron and B vitamins from kale and spinach instead of meat and I'm a fan of eggs for protein. Other than that I eat what I want as long as it's not from a fast food joint.

#16 | Back to Top05-20-2012 12:55:35 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Hi Brea. I think your juice sounds delicious! Definitely makes me want to invest in a juicer. One recommendation I have is to get your iron from legumes and beans. These are high in fibre, and are a better source of iron than your leafy green vegetables. Now, leafy greens are phenomenally healthy. Don't cut back on these if you can help it. However, the type of fibre and antioxidants in them can bind the iron and carry it out of your body, so it can't be used. The iron in legumes doesn't have the same problem. A good tip for iron that comes from plants is to have something with Vitamin C on the side. This helps with your absorption so you get the most benefits.

I hope that helps!

#17 | Back to Top05-20-2012 07:36:18 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Syora wrote:

A good tip for iron that comes from plants is to have something with Vitamin C on the side. This helps with your absorption so you get the most benefits.

I hope that helps!

TRUTH. emot-dance

Definitely up the beans. Also, nuts are a good idea to add a little fat. Actually a little bit of NATURAL (check the ingredients, if there's anything but peanuts and salt don't get it) peanut butter in your juice, or some nuts with it, will help absorption of the nutrients. As a general guideline, 'good' fats, such as nuts and oils (olive oil especially) should be a small part of every meal and every intake of food. We avoid fat militantly in our 'proper diet' culture, but it's so necessary. SO NECESSARY. Your juice is missing the fat that would help the nutrients you're taking in get to the right places.

The other suggestion is that if you can handle the smoothie instead of the juice, you've be taking in the fibrous material in the veggies that's so good for you. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#18 | Back to Top05-23-2012 01:45:43 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I've begun eating more fruits instead of sweets lately and I'll have a smoothie for a treat instead of my daily frappuccino.  In addition to losing weight I have more cash so that's always a good thing. If anybody ever wants a yummy snack that tastes like popsicles then try frozen grapes. I swear I can't get enough of 'em.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#19 | Back to Top05-23-2012 07:13:40 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Riri-kins wrote:

I've begun eating more fruits instead of sweets lately and I'll have a smoothie for a treat instead of my daily frappuccino.  In addition to losing weight I have more cash so that's always a good thing. If anybody ever wants a yummy snack that tastes like popsicles then try frozen grapes. I swear I can't get enough of 'em.

PREACH IT.  Frozen grapes are an old favorite of mine, I need to start nomming them again!

I've been trying to get more diary in my life as well as veggies.  I've been swapping out most sweet treats with nonfat greek yogurt topped with nutty, gluten free granola.  I buy pre-cooked chicken strips so lack of time and energy can't be an excuse of mine against making salads, and I subbed out soda for Vanilla soymilk.

I like soymilk.  Regular milk tastes like water and butt.  Soymilk tastes like the universe loves me.  etc-love

#20 | Back to Top05-23-2012 10:24:06 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

Yeah omg soymilk. Tastes so goooood~ Mom has been buying some lately emot-biggrin

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

Board footer