This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-21-2007 08:53:29 PM

homogenized
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Where does Wakaba live?

I'm a posting maniac tonight.

So, in Wakaba's Black Rose episode (20, I believe), we frequently see her walking to her dorm room and it looks like a long walk. Does she live off-campus or on? I seem to remember her talking about on-campus dorms in the first episode, though it's been quite a long time since I watched the first episode. She also appears to live in a single. I'm thinking she doesn't want to associate herself with the utter craziness of on-campus Ohtori, so she lives off-campus and alone. Of course, that's just a theory...

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/chokkan/guylove.jpg
The internet is a series of tubes.

#2 | Back to Top01-21-2007 08:59:05 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Re: Where does Wakaba live?

some campus dorms are a little ways away from the campus so...it is the campus dorm...just away from Ohtori. thats my thought on it.

She needs one of those motorized carts for old/fat and lazy people that they have at grocery stores.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#3 | Back to Top01-21-2007 09:03:44 PM

homogenized
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Or a golf cart. That would be awesome!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/chokkan/guylove.jpg
The internet is a series of tubes.

#4 | Back to Top01-21-2007 09:15:59 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I bet Akio has a golf cart with a rose signet stenciled on the side for the days when he's too lazy (read: sexed out) to walk. emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top01-21-2007 09:18:53 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

With a reclining leather bench seat. (Bench seating basically makes a bed. I find it far more preferable to bucket seating, and is one of the reasons I will never give up my car)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#6 | Back to Top01-21-2007 10:24:29 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

I think the dorms are located off-campus, because we see Utena traveling some way to get to the dorm she shares with Wakaba. And Touga, Nanami, Miki, and Kozue seem to live in their actual houses in town.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#7 | Back to Top01-21-2007 10:27:14 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Touga lives in the "President's Mansion" though doesnt he? im pretty sure that was on campus

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#8 | Back to Top01-21-2007 10:38:45 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

I don't think that was ever mentioned in the anime.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#9 | Back to Top01-21-2007 10:51:10 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

It's never mentioned in the anime whether Touga's residence is his family's, the President's Mansion, or some kind of secret batcave where he tries on costumes and maintains the Bat-Scooter, but fanfics have made his residence into either of the first two, although I believe it's more often the President's Mansion than Touga's home.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#10 | Back to Top01-21-2007 11:04:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

I believe it's more often the President's Mansion than Touga's home.

In that case, nevermind what I said about being a shy brainiac attending Ohtori Academy. I will be entering the glorious world of student body politics!

First, I have to kill Touga.

...or just take him out of public life. It'll be hard to give cryptic speeches in the elevator if he's chained to my bed. school-devil

He can keep Saionji company.

school-devil

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top01-21-2007 11:07:26 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

You're certainly welcome to do so-- as long as you don't mind me spending all my free moments in your bedroom. emot-biggrin

#12 | Back to Top01-21-2007 11:07:39 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

To me looks like it was an offcampus Ohtori dorm. I suppose because it would be cheaper, and the most inside dorms and houses would be more expensive.

And about the students council houses. I have always thought that the richest families just have a house in Ohtori so their kids would be living there, and since Ohtori is a very old and top notch school it would be used generation by generation.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#13 | Back to Top01-21-2007 11:22:09 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Well, I'm pretty sure the houses are off campus, anyway. That aerial map for the Utena game shows the basic layout, and there doesn't seem to be room for the gigantic mansion houses. Miki and Kozue seemed to have spent their childhood at their house, so it could be that their family owns a few residences with one being in the town Ohtori is in. Touga and Nanami live together in their mansion, and it seemed really elaborate to be a glorified dormitory. The girl said that the part would be at 'the president's house', but she could be either referring to him as the president OR the house as 'The President's House'.

-Isaac Newton

#14 | Back to Top01-22-2007 01:04:40 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I do believe that Touga's mansion is indeed in his family's possession. Nanami's childhood flashbacks appear to be of the same place and everything...
That place certainly isn't in the campus, itself - don't forget that we see a visual of the whole campus from the sky.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#15 | Back to Top01-22-2007 01:12:08 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I could've made this up, but I remember in one of the Saionji-living-with-Wakaba episodes a classmate to her door and knocks on it. So that's either a dorm or some girl walked from her place into Wakaba's apartment and knocked directly on her bedroom door.

Could still be offcampus, though.

EDIT: And Touga seems like more of a Vespa guy to me.

Last edited by Hinotori (01-22-2007 01:12:31 AM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#16 | Back to Top01-22-2007 02:42:43 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Wakaba certainly lives in a dorm, as does Utena, although the architecture is quite different between those buildings. Utena's dorm is without doubt outside the school campus and considering that Wakaba has to walk up the hill, as well, it's propable that so is her dorm.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#17 | Back to Top01-23-2007 12:38:17 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Actually, I think that the dorms are kind of blended into the town. I've seen schools with that kind of layout before where the dorms are on one side of the street and the rest of town is on the other side. The impression I've always gotten from the opening pan-out from episode 1 was that Ohtori was on a big-ass island and that the academic buildings were closer to the center.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#18 | Back to Top01-26-2007 01:35:54 PM

Rampala
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

I'd like to just say, "Oh, well, she seems to live in town, so the dorms must be off campus," but... Well, this conflicts with some of the motifs of the series for me.  Namely, that everyone is trapped in Ohtori, that there is timelessness, and except for "Curried High Trip" where Nanami and minions fly to India-- no one ever leaves campus.  Saying that Wakaba lives off campus would just... shatter this happy little image I have of no one leaving campus until Anthy leaves in the last episode.  In terms of her mental state, Wakaba most certainly does not "live" off-campus.  But... yes.  The whole thing always bothered me for just that reason.

#19 | Back to Top01-26-2007 02:00:35 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Rampala wrote:

Namely, that everyone is trapped in Ohtori, that there is timelessness, and except for "Curried High Trip" where Nanami and minions fly to India-- no one ever leaves campus.

Even when Nanami (and friends) go to India, they aren't free from Ohtori's influence. Note also that her plane appears to be taking off from campus grounds. "Ohtori could use an international airport!"

I think the restrictions Ohtori imposes are mental, not physical. For example, Ruka leaves the campus for an extended period of time, only to return. Arguably at the cost of his life. The hospital in which Juri visits the injured fencing student probably isn't on campus either. (This is Ohtori, so I can't rule it out unequivocally.) Nevertheless, the shadow girls appear as nurses at the hospital and imply it's where Ruka had been staying as well.

There's no physical barrier to lock Anthy behind Ohtori's gates and technically she could leave at any time. It's Akio's manipulation that keeps people bound to the school, as well as what draws them to it.

Getting back to Wakaba, she might be considered too normal to bother trapping at Ohtori. Though she does appear to be entwined in the school's grip, it's not necessarily by active design.

Last edited by Ragnarok (01-26-2007 02:01:11 PM)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#20 | Back to Top01-26-2007 02:09:25 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Even Utena spends her nights outside the walls of Ohtori Academy - we clearly see her climbing the hill to the Academy as her morning routine. But she comes in every day. As Ragnarok says, the barrier isn't physical in nature - you can leave whenever you want, but you always end up coming back.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#21 | Back to Top01-26-2007 02:36:20 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Lightice wrote:

Even Utena spends her nights outside the walls of Ohtori Academy - we clearly see her climbing the hill to the Academy as her morning routine. But she comes in every day. As Ragnarok says, the barrier isn't physical in nature - you can leave whenever you want, but you always end up coming back.

Between climbing the hills each day, sometimes with Wakaba on her back as well as walking all the way up those stairs to her duels without collapsing afterwards, Utena proves one thing, she's not just fit she's like super-uber-fit.  She would kick some serious bottom if she ever enter the 'Ironman' Triathlon contest.

#22 | Back to Top01-28-2007 12:34:27 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I agree with Ragnarok. It's not the physical boundary that matters, it's the mental boundary. Anthy's step across the threshold wasn't of physical importance so much as mental importance, in that she was finally leaving her old ways of thought and her mental patterns of abuse and victimization behind for good. The physical step was shown as a representative of her decision to leave them in Ohtori, without her.

#23 | Back to Top02-01-2007 08:52:08 PM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Actually, I think that the dorms are kind of blended into the town. I've seen schools with that kind of layout before where the dorms are on one side of the street and the rest of town is on the other side. The impression I've always gotten from the opening pan-out from episode 1 was that Ohtori was on a big-ass island and that the academic buildings were closer to the center.

Seconded.

Personally, I would consider that Ohtori Academy has a HUGE campus, more or less like a town itself. Inside the school there are shops running, roads and traffic and everything. I would assume that EVERYBODY in the academy lives on campus, (yes, including the teacher too) it's a mini-town so big that they can build all kinds of extravagent dorms.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#24 | Back to Top02-02-2007 05:40:32 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I believe the place is actually supposed to be a peninsula and from the large pan-out shots the town seems way too big to consist solely of school-owned buildings - even for place of Ohtori's size. That's not a small campus-town, there but a full-fledged city.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#25 | Back to Top02-05-2007 12:29:27 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Well, a campus is simply grounds designated as being grounds of the school.  So if the dorm is school housing and located on property owned by Ohtori, it's still "Ohtori", in a way.  The school I work for owns a lot of land around here and has an apartment complex associated with it.  The actual "campus" is just the part of school that has the school buildings and library & stuff.  But FSU has dorms and frats scattered among school buildings right smack in the middle of town, some are campus, some aren't.

I always figured Ohtori itself was pretty isolated.  Like there might be a city there that some of the school property merges with (Wakaba goes grocery shopping), but that town is isolated from other towns and thus more under the influence of Ohtori.  Remember the town in Haibane Renmei?

I agree that the division's importance is more symbolic and mental...but I think there's got to be an associated physical landscape.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

Board footer