This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-17-2006 09:58:21 AM

azuresquirrel
Touga Topper
Website

The Movie: Get your crack here!

We all know how . . . special the Utena movie is. While I can enjoy it for its ultra-mondo-symbolism of DOOM, I must admit that its primary value comes from how utterly on crack it is.

I especially enjoy showing it to other people just to see their reactions. My personal favorite was this one friend who started freaking out when the "Car Wash" popped out of the rose garden. "Car wash?!" she said. "What's up with that?" It old her to wait for it and when the Utena Car came out she was not the least bit phased. She was still going on about the car wash. "Yeah, she's a car and that's okay, but you don't make cars in a car wash! Why was there a car wash?!"

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Me on gender identity: "I have more gender issues than an anime character."

#2 | Back to Top10-17-2006 10:27:30 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: The Movie: Get your crack here!

I think the biggest problem with that movie is that it tried to compress a complex story like Utena into 1 and a half hours.

It just felt like they just rushed things through and left out too much.

I am having a hard time thinking of better ways to explain myself but as it is almost 2 in the morning, my brain is running on sloooooow!.

Movie Pros:
Great music and visuals.
Utena looking more boyish.
Anthy with her hair down.
More overt lesbian overtones.
The dance scene. etc-love

Movie Cons:
Movie Akio is too pathetic to be the Big Bad. emot-mad
If you didnt know the Utena story, the movie would have lost you completely.
Not enough duels.
It was for most part, a bit of a wank. etc-wankdude

#3 | Back to Top10-17-2006 11:10:05 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

The best description of Adolescence I've ever heard:

"It's like a beautiful woman you simply don't understand but keep around just to look at."

Last edited by angelicreation (10-17-2006 11:10:33 AM)

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#4 | Back to Top10-17-2006 11:43:56 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I think the car part is probably the most confusing part. I made my friend watch it too and later she asked me about the car part, hehe.
But the movie is very different from most things I've seen. That's also the reason why I like it, plus the surrealism. Must have surrealism.
When I first watched it, it actaully made some sense to me. Up to the Juri's duel part, that came out of nowhere and then it was followed by the car scenes.
I think it's definitely worth watching because of the visuals and symbolism. ^.^

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#5 | Back to Top10-17-2006 12:00:49 PM

Nariel
Miki Molester

As ever, I maintain that my first reaction to the Utena car was: It's a giant raw lobster. Thats it. Although it was really pretty compared to the Shiori car.

The ruler of the universe has spoken.

#6 | Back to Top10-17-2006 12:23:25 PM

Kohaku
New Student
Website

Tamago wrote:

I dunno. I saw the movie before I ever saw the series, and I was able to make some sense out of it.

It just makes more sense if you see the series first. emot-smile

(Although the car part still baffles me. But I can rationalize it away by thinking, "....okay. This is Utena. What do you expect?")

One does not simply walk into Wal-Mart. There is evil there that does not sleep.

#7 | Back to Top10-17-2006 12:59:17 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

The movie is FULL of symbols and i I like symbolism, They are similar to Sterne's idea of "mind who creates his personal meaning and feelings for something" (Ah, sweet philosophy!).
   Have you see the scene with Touga and Shiori in the bed? Beautiful, this is symbolism: something that have non-sense in reality, but that have a sense in our inward mind, isn't wonderful?
   There are a lot of symbols, and I can understand a little part of them. The videotape with Chuchu and Nanami for example, does anyone found a sense in that scene? I really don't, but it has sense.
   What about the setting? I like the new-styled Ohtori Academy, it's like an impossible picture, a sprawling labirinth, something of measureless. For me, this is the symbol of the complex life of the adolescents, that however is only imaginary (like the Academy).

The real weak point for me, are the characters, WHERE ARE RUKA AND MIKAGE, EH? EH???. No, seriously ,the movie is incentred only on Utena and Anthy, maybe Touga. I don't like it, the series was cool because we knows almost everything about the characters that are inside the Ohtori Academy. I love the personages of the series, they are really human. This is not present in the film, they seems only actors.

This is my judgment. emot-dance

PS: Sorry if I made some mistakes >_<

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#8 | Back to Top10-17-2006 01:21:06 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Kohaku wrote:

Tamago wrote:

I dunno. I saw the movie before I ever saw the series, and I was able to make some sense out of it.

It just makes more sense if you see the series first. emot-smile

I think I concur? Haha. ;;; I saw the movie after watching only the first season so... I'm not sure what that means, really. ...*shuts up*

Man, but I etc-love the movie~! I like the look/design of it more, the crazy campus, the rose-field-arena, Anthy's Bride Dress... *.*

And, of course, The Utenamobile emot-dance That's probably my favourite part of the movie. emot-keke;;; It's fun to watch that with people who aren't expecting it. emot-biggrin

Probably the most fun I've ever had watching the movie was at my old uni anime club. We had just watched the last three episodes, and then the movie and it was just...awesome.

Sey wrote:

...WHERE ARE RUKA AND MIKAGE, EH? EH???.

My inner Mikage fangirl would've liked to see him around, if only for revamped character design. Superficial like whoa? Haha. ;;; Seriously, much love for Mikage but it would've been too much to cram into a 90 minute film.

#9 | Back to Top10-17-2006 01:27:16 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I love showing the movie to my friends just to scare them. "... Did that girl just turn into a car?!" "Yep. : D"

The first part of my Utena obsession was spent obsessing over the symbolism in the movie... With that in mind, it's no wonder I didn't like Shiori at first.

You have no idea how many people take what Shiori did in the movie seriously. The frequent comparison between her and a butterfly makes this rather obvious. Hell, I've seen people quote movie Shiori word for word in a story about the series. With characters like movie Akio walking around, I'm surprised people still make those connections.

Then again, there are some pretty good things about movie-Shiori. For one thing, she got a really big role. She even got more lines than Juri. Not to mention the fact that they managed to make an already very frilly outfit even frillier.

Above all, she got one of the best and most memorable deaths in anime history. "*Evil giggle* Are you surprised? It was a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car... I'm a car now too!" She died in a car crash, and she was the car... Then again, the fact that my favorite characters death makes me laugh is kind of sad.

Last edited by Razara (10-20-2006 01:00:11 PM)

#10 | Back to Top10-17-2006 01:35:24 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Razara wrote:

"*Evil giggle* Are you surprised? It was a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car... I'm a car now too!"

Probably one of my favourite quotes from the movie. emot-biggrin It just makes me laugh.

And being as I'm terrified of series Akio, I'm all manner amused by frilly Movie!Akio. The little flippy-over-the-taxi-hood kills me every time. etc-love

#11 | Back to Top10-17-2006 02:13:37 PM

Kohaku
New Student
Website

BakaElf wrote:

Man, but I etc-love the movie~! I like the look/design of it more, the crazy campus, the rose-field-arena, Anthy's Bride Dress... *.*

THAT'S RIGHT. The movie rose garden. I love it. It's one of the few things they changed in the movie that I like. It's just so pretty. etc-love

And I have a soft spot for the dance scene.

One does not simply walk into Wal-Mart. There is evil there that does not sleep.

#12 | Back to Top10-17-2006 02:20:40 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

The movie.. well it's very.. uh.. I don't know whether to say I like it or I don't like it. It's really pretty though, and some of the crack symbolism is great. I understood it a lot better after reading the movie manga, and realized what was up with Touga in the movie and more of the.. you know, plot. XD In comparision to the series, I don't like it nearly as much, of course, but it's still fun to watch. (After all, the series is much longer and that's a ton to cram.)

Just the other day I was telling my little sister about it because we were thinking of anime to watch when we visit our friend, and I brought up the Utena movie and tried to explain it a little. (I've already corrupted her to the Utena series, and while she likes it, all the symbolism and lack of an obvious, straight-forward plot turns her off from it for the most part. Plus the Kozue/Miki thing, since Miki is her favourite. XD I think the characters are too tainted and sexual for her too.) After I explained how different it was from the series and all the huge amounts of weird symbolism and changes from how the characters are in the series, she said something like "Well, we can watch it and spork it." and then I said "Well, it's not bad.. just.... it's... Uhm. Different."

All and all, my favourite part is Utena and Anthy's rose dance. It's beautiful. etc-love  I especially liked the part where Utena was sleeping and Anthy picked up an axe and it looked like she was going to hit Utena, but instead she hit the water pipes.

Razara wrote:

Above all, she got one of the best and most memorable deaths in anime history. "*Evil giggle* Are you surprised? It was a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car... I'm a car now too!" She died in a car crash, and she was the car... Then again, the fact that my favorite characters death makes me laugh is kind of sad...

That reminds me when she was driving in a car during Ruka's duel and she crashed when Ruka lost.. xD But yes, the idea of her being the car in a car crash is very funny.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (10-17-2006 02:24:47 PM)

#13 | Back to Top10-17-2006 04:15:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I suck at liking the movie, I'll admit it. emot-frown You people missing Mikage and Ruka should be glad. My two favorite characters are present. And just... emot-gonk I think the movie itself tells you exactly what it did to Akio. It chopped his weewee off. emot-gonk

That said, the movie really is absolutely, ridiculously gorgeous. From what I understand it's one of the last movies to be cell-animated, or at least was near the end of the era? The set designs and backgrounds are just wowowowow. (To say nothing of how lovely Touga looks in black. Rawr.) The only other one I can think of that came close to as gorgeous was the new Vampire Hunter D. (Amano...but animated.) The music was awesome too, both the duels and the actual soundtrack.

As for the rest...hmm. I think those who favor looking at the series symbolically will be drawn to the movie. I'm a nerdy psychoanalyst type, so the movie kinda let me down, as was expected from such a brief length. I always wondered why there was no OVA, though. So many parts of the story could be fleshed out...but I guess the problem there is that no one story could include all the characters. Ah well.

I recall vaguely Ikuhara saying in an interview that Shiori in the movie was Ends of the World. (Also that Shiori is his favorite character...) I KNOW I heard this somewhere, for god's sake someone confirm it. I guess it makes some voodoo form of sense since she's seen to communicate with a dead guy. (And sleep with him!! Is sleeping with Touga a rite of passage for EotWs?) Also she does rather nudge Juri into dueling. (As opposed to Saionji, who vaguely true to form, needed no help picking a fight.) Still, it's not like we get any indication as to what's in it for her.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#14 | Back to Top10-17-2006 04:25:07 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Nariel wrote:

As ever, I maintain that my first reaction to the Utena car was: It's a giant raw lobster. Thats it. Although it was really pretty compared to the Shiori car.

...um, am I really the only one who saw the Utena Car and thought "OMFG UTENA JUST TURNED INTO A GIANT PENIS. IN A CAR WASH."

And seriously, the Shiori car was like something out of That Seventies Show crossed with an explosion in a Belgian lace factory. Oh, the humanity...

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#15 | Back to Top10-17-2006 04:43:20 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Clarice wrote:

Nariel wrote:

...um, am I really the only one who saw the Utena Car and thought "OMFG UTENA JUST TURNED INTO A GIANT PENIS. IN A CAR WASH."

It took me a while to twig to that, and I wasn't gonna be the one to point it out but....yeah~ emot-biggrin

#16 | Back to Top10-17-2006 04:51:13 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I can't say for showing the movie to other people, but as far as the movie goes...  if I had to sell off every last bit on anime I owned save for one disc, Adolescence of Utena would be the one I'd keep.

It's magical spell of symbolism, abstraction, general weirdness, and a phenomenal soundtrack that makes it my favorite anime movie by a huge margin.  I could try deconstructing it in my mind for decades and I'd never tire of it.  Ironically, it's also because of this that I shy away from reading interpretations of it.  I even can't bring myself to finishing the manga version of the movie because I'm afraid it will color the movie too much for me!

I also make sure not to watch it too often.  I go for a long time between viewings so it can retain its mysterious aura each time I watch it.  I last watched Adolescence of Utena this past Spring, so I imagine I won't watch it again until this coming spring, late winter at the earliest.  It must be savored!

Almost forgot... favorite scene?  Illusion ~ Malice's Pupa and Touga's ordeal/Shiori butterflies.  Best. Scene. Ever.

So yeah, I love it to pieces. cool

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (10-17-2006 04:54:12 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#17 | Back to Top10-17-2006 04:57:46 PM

azuresquirrel
Touga Topper
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I think the movie itself tells you exactly what it did to Akio. It chopped his weewee off. emot-gonk

I always laugh when I see the tower for that exact reason! I always say to people, "Look at it! What happened to the tower from the series! IT'S AKIO!" They never seem to get it. Glad I'm not the only one who looks out for every penis or castration of said penis.

Yes, like everyone else I'm all about the pretty for the movie and the soundtrack, and trying to come up with as many interpretations of the symbols as I can. For the real meat and potatoes of the plot and characters, you have to go to the series. And the whole Shiori thing? I'm in agreement with those who hate what it did to her image. Movie!Shiori and Series!Shiori are seperate people, dammit! She might not be that likeable in the series, but I've always seen her as a very confused teenage girl, and they tend to do stupid things. To say that she's more evil than Touga or Akio really pisses me off and just reeks of misogynism to me.

Last edited by azuresquirrel (10-17-2006 04:58:16 PM)

Me on gender identity: "I have more gender issues than an anime character."

#18 | Back to Top10-17-2006 05:07:36 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Giovanna wrote:

I recall vaguely Ikuhara saying in an interview that Shiori in the movie was Ends of the World. (Also that Shiori is his favorite character...) I KNOW I heard this somewhere, for god's sake someone confirm it. I guess it makes some voodoo form of sense since she's seen to communicate with a dead guy. (And sleep with him!! Is sleeping with Touga a rite of passage for EotWs?) Also she does rather nudge Juri into dueling. (As opposed to Saionji, who vaguely true to form, needed no help picking a fight.) Still, it's not like we get any indication as to what's in it for her.

The first time I saw Akio in the movie, I didn't even believe that it was really him. The hair was gone, the clothes looked stupid, and the voice... Gah, I hate the new voice they gave him. They ruined everything good about him.emot-gonk

I can't help but wonder if Shiori was actually acting on Akio and Touga's behalf. Someone must have given her the tape, and what not. If she was in communications with End of the World, as well as sleeping with Touga, who has a lot of influence over the main character, then could these two people have affected her actions? If not, then her motives seem to be surrounding the fact that Juri was the cause of her prince's death.

As for the design of the Shiori Car, the overuse of frilly accessories always amuses me. They've got it on the steering wheel, the seats, and even the gearshift. (Could you imagine if Akio's car was like that...? o _o)

#19 | Back to Top10-17-2006 05:15:27 PM

Fluffy
New Student

Very very quick reply, but -- I'd always assumed movie!Akio and Anthy were /earlier/ versions of themselves. Akio looks way more like Dios than series!Akio does, Anthy is far perkier and less beaten-down, and he's capable of remorse/torn between pure joyous evil and being the prince. So it screws him up and he's a dork and is tipped by Anthy admitting to being awake/responsible for her actions/not needing or having to submit to a prince to realising his own badness and uselessness and, well, jumping out of the window. He neither has the key to the Akio car nor to a Dios-car. So he's all frilly, and sucks.

Shiori's banal human evil, Touga's the cost of having cruelty inflicted on you and the price of true princehood, both representing what happens to him by the end, what he does to himself (wait, that implies that scene is older Touga raping younger Touga no wait what?) and what Utena has to do (die to escape/help others escape). Also, remember Juri's story about her sister and the man whose name she forgot? Drowning? Has to link in somewhere.

PLUSU! How come super-capable Juri FAILS at swimming?

#20 | Back to Top10-17-2006 05:50:11 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Fluffy wrote:

Very very quick reply, but -- I'd always assumed movie!Akio and Anthy were /earlier/ versions of themselves. Akio looks way more like Dios than series!Akio does, Anthy is far perkier and less beaten-down, and he's capable of remorse/torn between pure joyous evil and being the prince. So it screws him up and he's a dork and is tipped by Anthy admitting to being awake/responsible for her actions/not needing or having to submit to a prince to realising his own badness and uselessness and, well, jumping out of the window. He neither has the key to the Akio car nor to a Dios-car. So he's all frilly, and sucks.

Shiori's banal human evil, Touga's the cost of having cruelty inflicted on you and the price of true princehood, both representing what happens to him by the end, what he does to himself (wait, that implies that scene is older Touga raping younger Touga no wait what?) and what Utena has to do (die to escape/help others escape). Also, remember Juri's story about her sister and the man whose name she forgot? Drowning? Has to link in somewhere.

Wow, I really like this idea. Akio in the movie definitely did look a lot more like Dios. And when he poisoned Anthy to sleep with her, which is not like series Akio at all, it could have been Dios growing into Akio and coming to terms with what he's becoming and not liking it at first. In the series, after Anthy took the sword of Dios and Dios was talking to Utena (in her real memory) he still looked like Dios but he certainly didn't act much like a prince.

#21 | Back to Top10-17-2006 06:04:54 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I CONCUR.

I heard that somewhere too. It might have been from my dear Giovanna, though. Take that for what it's worth.

The movie is... gorgeously animated and scored, surreal enough for me to like but sensible enough to follow, and has Touga-rape in it. I don't know why, but I'm just as happy watching Touga get raped as watching him flick his hair around and be snobby and look pretty.

But if I said only what I liked about the movie, I'd have nothing to say but 'I agree' to about half the posts here, so here's my big bombshell.

I dislike the kisses.

That's right, you heard me. I don't like Anthy and Utena kissing. It makes their relationship into an ovary-fueled lustfest. Actually, I don't mean that, I just wanted to say 'ovary-fueled lustfest'. It makes their relationship so self-explanatory. You can put it down to love. It was far more interesting in the series when you didn't really know what to think about it; I thought it was a bit... off not to keep up the ambiguity. It's not like you couldn't have done that in the movie-- just leave the nudity, the weirdness, the dancing, even the bedroom scene sans zipper noise, and take out the kisses

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#22 | Back to Top10-17-2006 06:10:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

azuresquirrel wrote:

I always laugh when I see the tower for that exact reason! I always say to people, "Look at it! What happened to the tower from the series! IT'S AKIO!" They never seem to get it. Glad I'm not the only one who looks out for every penis or castration of said penis.

I'm all about the Freudian symbolism (school-freud) and my god does SKU deliver. When I figure out what the carrot Touga had was all about...I mean, it's obviously a penis but whose?

azuresquirrel wrote:

To say that she's more evil than Touga or Akio really pisses me off and just reeks of misogynism to me.

Hmmm. While I agree it's kinda stretching it, perhaps people see it that way because she's so pointlessly cruel. Touga's a jerk, but he's fueled by a desire to obtain something. Akio is on thinner ice there, if you delve deep enough into his motives for doing, well, anything at all, but on the surface, he has reasons for his behavior as well. Why is Shiori such a bitch? Akio and Touga use their heartlessness to get things they want, but Shiori doesn't stand to profit at all from the things she does.

Razara wrote:

As for the design of the Shiori Car, the overuse of frilly accessories always amuses me. They've got it on the steering wheel, the seats, and even the gearshift. (Could you imagine if Akio's car was like that...? o _o)

They don't show you the inside of movie Akio's car. emot-gonk

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Wow, I really like this idea. Akio in the movie definitely did look a lot more like Dios. And when he poisoned Anthy to sleep with her, which is not like series Akio at all, it could have been Dios growing into Akio and coming to terms with what he's becoming and not liking it at first. In the series, after Anthy took the sword of Dios and Dios was talking to Utena (in her real memory) he still looked like Dios but he certainly didn't act much like a prince.

Okay fine, I'll grudgingly allow such a blasphemy to be spoken of series Akio. Just know you people are ON NOTICE. emot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mad

Even so it's at best representative of their youths, not an actual catalogue of events. Is an interesting thought though, in the movie, Anthy is the one that comes across as a sexual creature. Akio...well...we all went through that period (usually in middle school) where we tried to find who we were and ended up finding what gigantic fools we could make of ourselves, right? emot-frown

Yasha wrote:

It makes their relationship so self-explanatory. You can put it down to love. It was far more interesting in the series when you didn't really know what to think about it; I thought it was a bit... off not to keep up the ambiguity. It's not like you couldn't have done that in the movie-- just leave the nudity, the weirdness, the dancing, even the bedroom scene sans zipper noise, and take out the kisses

True, but you can only dance around ambiguousness and ignore the sexual tension for so long, right? Besides, the movie was clearly a pro-lesbian etc-love<3fest.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#23 | Back to Top10-17-2006 06:57:33 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

From what I have read from all the different statements people have made, that while as a whole, the movie is far inferior to the anime series but it still has a lot of tasty pieces that makes it worth keeping. etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

If nothing else, Anthy has a great future ahead of her in rally car racing emot-keke *hehe*

#24 | Back to Top10-17-2006 07:12:41 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Yasha wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

I CONCUR.

I heard that somewhere too. It might have been from my dear Giovanna, though. Take that for what it's worth.

I heard about it in one of the rant's in Blade's lovely Shiori gallery. Is that where you heard about it as well?

As for the kissing, I agree with you on that. I loved Anthy and Utena's relationship in the series, and the movie ruined it. I can't really say I'm completely oppossed to it, though. Every once and a while I'll be rewatching the series, and I just can't help but wish they would just admit their feelings, kiss, and then live that happy ending that they keep promising us, but never really happens.

Fluffy wrote:

Maybe there's something in the water? I mean, if water symbolizes Shiori in the series, (or at least that's what I assume, what with Juri's need to be around water whenever she's depressed, and Ganymede,) then perhaps a "tainted" Shiori affects the water? :0

But seriously, I've always felt that water has a connection to Touga. Could it be that water and red roses symbolize the two princes in Toki ni Ai wa? Touga, who drowned, and Akio, who Anthy burried in her rose bed to hide her brother dead? (Sorry, it's catchy.) The stars are undoubtedly a connection to the prince, so could water and red roses be a connection as well?

Giovanna wrote:

Razara wrote:

They don't show you the inside of movie Akio's car. emot-gonk

That's probably for the best. Movie Akio's car would probably be as frilly as his clothes are. And he probably wouldn't even drive a stickshift.

Giovanna wrote:

azuresquirrel wrote:

To say that she's more evil than Touga or Akio really pisses me off and just reeks of misogynism to me.

Hmmm. While I agree it's kinda stretching it, perhaps people see it that way because she's so pointlessly cruel. Touga's a jerk, but he's fueled by a desire to obtain something. Akio is on thinner ice there, if you delve deep enough into his motives for doing, well, anything at all, but on the surface, he has reasons for his behavior as well. Why is Shiori such a bitch? Akio and Touga use their heartlessness to get things they want, but Shiori doesn't stand to profit at all from the things she does.

Edited: Once I stopped depriving myself of sleep, I realized that a big explanation about Shiori's motives is not suited for a topic about the movie. (Sorry 'bout that.) I'll just leave a tiny, bitesize explanation.

Shiori is the way she is because she was living a miserable life in the shadow of Juri's brilliance. Stealing that boy from her was the only way she could put herself on the same ground as Juri. (Wow, two sentences.)

Last edited by Razara (10-18-2006 08:02:59 PM)

#25 | Back to Top10-17-2006 07:34:05 PM

ZSPACE
Touga Topper

Tamago wrote:

I think the biggest problem with that movie is that it tried to compress a complex story like Utena into 1 and a half hours.

It just felt like they just rushed things through and left out too much.

I am having a hard time thinking of better ways to explain myself but as it is almost 2 in the morning, my brain is running on sloooooow!.

Movie Pros:
Great music and visuals.
Utena looking more boyish.
Anthy with her hair down.
More overt lesbian overtones.
The dance scene. etc-love

Movie Cons:
Movie Akio is too pathetic to be the Big Bad. emot-mad
Not enough duels.
It was for most part, a bit of a wank. etc-wankdude

I would have to completely disagree with you. It is the movie that first got me into Utena ( i saw the movie before the series) and I didnt confuse me. I believe the movie a combination of a retelling and a telling of after what happened in the series. But the movie is on crack like me.

Board footer