This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#201 | Back to Top03-06-2010 07:36:58 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Re: RoseCon '10?

Oh man, cartrip. If someone (anyone) can pick me up from Baltimore, I would not mind helping to contribute to the cost of the fuel. (Because, well, yeah.... that would definitely beat the price of airplane, train, or buses)

Also, if I will be making it, I'm definitely asking to share room. I promise I'm a well-behaving roommate. I won't cause riots, commit murder, or sexually harass any of you. I swear on the burning tower of poptarts. poptart

Last edited by Hiraku (03-06-2010 07:40:35 PM)

#202 | Back to Top03-06-2010 08:53:22 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

At this point, I'm leaning toward attending. I'm pretty sure I'll have the money at least, I just don't know what's going to happen with moving in April. If it goes well, I'll be there. emot-smile

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#203 | Back to Top03-06-2010 09:11:02 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

At this point, I'm leaning toward attending. I'm pretty sure I'll have the money at least, I just don't know what's going to happen with moving in April. If it goes well, I'll be there. emot-smile

Provided money is good for me, I will coming with Stormy. emot-smile

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#204 | Back to Top03-06-2010 10:02:44 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Rock on. Let's make this happen. emot-dance

Money is sort of an issue for me--if I can split the gas and the room I will definitely do so, but whether I have to be on the cheap or not isn't the deciding issue for me. I'm ALL OVER the southern food museum holy shit. etc-love

Also, I really want to hear some fucking real shit good blues. I kicked myself missing the blues festival in Edmonton last year because it's something I need to find out whether I like. NO seems like a damn good place for that. My itinerary is going to focus on things that are either small (small museums) or I can sit on my ass for (eating), but I'm going to start planning possibilities and count on my enthusiasm to do the healing. emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance

In the meantime if there's anything I can do to help the rest of you along, count me in. I can't strictly organize it like I did for the last one, but I still wanna help if I can. emot-smile

You guys are seriously, the. Fucking. Best.

Edit: Googled stuff to do in NO and one said 'get a pet from the LASPCA' OH GOD KITTIES I CAN'T ADOPT KITTIES WE ALREADY HAVE TWO KITTIES BUT KITTIES emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#205 | Back to Top03-07-2010 06:10:45 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

....I may be able to get a discount for folks at certain hotels. I'm gonna spring it on my stepmom as a kind of very belated "It's my birthday and god knows how much you owe me" kind of deal.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#206 | Back to Top03-07-2010 11:17:03 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Discounts always welcome. etc-love

I was just looking through some of the history of Rosecon 08. It was truly epic, and I'm more and more psyched about doing it again. Circumstance is keeping me from playing a central part, but I'm all over this whether I can go or not.

I happen to have uh, every Tony Bourdain episode EVAR, and he did do one on NO--pretty closely after Katrina, so that's kind of the point of the show, but if anyone's curious to see that take on the city, I can upload it. In my experience, Bourdain's been awesome at showing a place from a very different angle from how you see it from anyone else, and judging by his NYC and Miami episodes, it's the 'real' face. My list of must-see places is based in no small part on his travels. (WHY AM I NOT IN OSAKA YET)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#207 | Back to Top03-07-2010 11:31:22 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

There's...a bar. A carousel bar. The Carousel Bar. When have us vIRGins ever, ever been able to resist a nerdy reference joke like that? If there were more pictures, I'd be photoshopping Akio's legs into them.

Also putting this here so I don't forget PRALINE BACON http://www.elizabeths-restaurant.com/dinner_menu

#208 | Back to Top03-07-2010 11:53:24 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Omg! Does it actually spin around the counter like a real carousel? 'cause that would be awesome! emot-dance

#209 | Back to Top03-07-2010 01:51:54 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

The Calgary tower has a restaurant that rotates at the very top. However, that Carousel Bar is way classier. That menu Gio posted is also making me ravenous. Everything sounds DIVINE. I am gonna gain 15 lbs by the time the trip is over. emot-biggrin

Is anyone else hunting for a cheap ticket? RoseCon is months away, but it's still fun looking. XD

#210 | Back to Top03-07-2010 01:59:41 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

In my experience, 3 months is the sweet spot for airline tickets. I hear you can get super cheap last minutes on flights where the seating didn't fill, but personally I'm way, way too compulsive about scheduling when it comes to that kind of thing to take the risk. And I almost never get on flights that aren't packed anyway.

PS. Edmonton has one like that. La Ronde, or whatever. Yasha's dad takes us there once in a while. Frankly it's rather 'okay' given the massive price and attempted snob-factor. But I figure it's his money to spend, and I spend it accordingly.

Also, I'm going to gain all the weight I lost for the surgery on this trip, god damn I love some southern food. etc-love school-chef etc-love

#211 | Back to Top03-07-2010 10:10:54 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Anthiena, any possible discount is always welcome. And it looks like I've got two people reserved for splitting my hotel and car, so there'll still be room for another in our room and two more in my car. It's been my experience that a lot of swankier hotels in good areas won't allow any more than that, but I also got away with it in the $70 Katsucon hotel room by not knowing any better and not telling the staff.  school-devil But I'm a very risk-averse person, and I would hate a hotel putting their foot down and someone finding out that they're stuck in a city they suddenly flat-out can't afford.

YES SOMEONE WANTS TO GO TO THE SOUTHERN FOOD MUSEUM WITH MEEEEE. I was soooo hoping I wasn't the only one. Gio, I will wheel your ass all over that museum. And I can't believe I totally forgot about the Praline Bacon after my sister and her significant other tried so hard to get their hands on some the last time we were there. We didn't. emot-frown

Wow, I do want to go to the Carousel bar(Tennessee Williams was there? YUS). It probably is redonk expensive though because most revolving anything is. emot-frown If the bar itself spun too, I think that would be waaaaay too disoriented for the drunk. I mean, the room is already spinning.

Once this is all over, I have a feeling we'll be photoshopping Utena characters all over this damn city. And now that I checked out the LASPCA website and casually browsed through it....there's a black lab named Chu Chu up for grabs. I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.

Hat Mafia Member

#212 | Back to Top03-08-2010 01:33:45 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Syora: Is anyone else hunting for a cheap ticket? RoseCon is months away, but it's still fun looking. XD

I favor early looking - you never know. If anyone sees a fucking amazing deal on international flights let me know. emot-biggrin

#213 | Back to Top03-08-2010 11:49:30 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I'll probably be driving to RoseCon this year. Some random family member (or two) is likely to be with me, of course. emot-rolleyes Gotta start hotel searching! I, too, will probably be packing on ze pounds during this trip. Restaurants here I come! emot-dance

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#214 | Back to Top03-20-2010 06:49:26 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Just wanted to mention(and bump the thread emot-redface) that August 12th and 19th are both Thursdays, just to minimize confusion.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#215 | Back to Top03-20-2010 09:31:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Wait, didn't we decide on the 19th?  Do I misremember?

#216 | Back to Top03-20-2010 09:51:54 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I thought we picked the 21st... emot-rolleyes

#217 | Back to Top03-21-2010 06:06:39 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I made an executive decision for the weekend of the 19th. Sorry I use Thursday dates; I only do that because I will most likely be there the earliest--what with living two hours away and planning and all. But yes, that is also the weekend of the 21st. The 12th was the backup weekend in case something went horribly awry.

Hopefully I will talk to some people in hotel sales division this week. Last week I had a middle school math concepts test I had to study all week for and still might have only made a C(I wouldn't even give those problems to high schoolers goddamnit WTF). So we can hopefully get an answer about how much to rent a conference room and whether or not multiple credit cards would still count as a group.

Last edited by Frau Eva (03-21-2010 06:07:20 PM)

Hat Mafia Member

#218 | Back to Top04-04-2010 08:59:27 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

ATTENTION EVERYONE POTENTIALLY GOING TO ROSECON

Because many people have said that school would be interfering for the weekend I picked, I've made the decision to go to our back-up weekend of August 12th, 2010. Gio, Yasha, and Stormcrow would be completely unable to come on the weekend picked, and since it's because of school, I suspect we would be hearing similar from others if we kept up with the original date. I apologize for any confusion this may cause, and I hope no one's booked anything solid yet.

Hat Mafia Member

#219 | Back to Top04-04-2010 09:11:42 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

To help avoid confusion about where RoseCon is being discussed, I'm closing this thread at Frau Eva's request.  The place to talk about RoseCon is the RoseCon '10 New Orleans thread!

Board footer