This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-01-2010 09:45:33 PM

MsDevin92
Wakaba Wrangler

Re: NaNoWriMo 2010

I tried a couple years ago, but as an above poster said, trying it as a busy and easily-distracted high school student was probably a bad idea.  And my dual bad habits of procrastination and anal-retentiveness will probably have me cramming the last 10k words in before midnight, but I kinda made the mistake of mentioning this to my father and he's determined that I finish this with flying colors.  Perfectionist families, what are you gonna do? :U
Broke a little over 2k on Day 1.  I hope I can keep this streak.

#27 | Back to Top11-01-2010 09:57:55 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I managed just over three and a half thousand words my first day, which is excellent considering I had an exam this afternoon. school-devil Now that the exam is out of the way, mind you, it's time to get cracking on day two! So...once more unto the breach? school-sherlock

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#28 | Back to Top11-02-2010 12:04:15 PM

motorwaymurderer
Saionji Slapper

Two days and 6 676 words. 8 words over my goal.

I'm trying to get 100, 000 words this year, even though I failed last year. I would almost like to give you all a lecture about Finnish and English, and how writing in Finnish takes more time. Simple version, our nanowrimo should be 30 000 words long as our language differs from English so much.

Kukkulalla on talo. = There is a house on the hill. etc-love

#29 | Back to Top11-02-2010 07:20:00 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

Day 2: 4459 , nearly 9% complete and this time I honestly have some ideas for the other 91%!

I've wanted to write this story for at least three years now, it's so cool seeing it finally get out.

#30 | Back to Top11-02-2010 07:29:30 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I'm eagerly awaiting Paradox's completion, as he has been alluding to the story for years, but won't tell me anything about it. I wanna know!

I'm still doing well, trying to get as much written in the first two weeks as possible.  I'm up to 9,156 words thus far.  I won't get as far ahead tomorrow as I did yesterday and today (losing my lunch writing time), but I should be well on my way, at least enough so that my week I'm losing won't just kill my chances.

#31 | Back to Top11-02-2010 09:33:47 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Decided to join this year. This is my first time, and I'm very excited. I don't expect to reach the 50,000 word mark, but I've made a smaller goal for myself, sticking with it! Anyway, I'm still Melancholic_Soul in NaNoWriMo as well. Feel free to add me as a buddy emot-keke

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#32 | Back to Top11-03-2010 03:12:33 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

The first two days have seen me writing in 400- or 800-word bursts.  I'm at 1,233 at the moment, obviously far behind the recommended words per day count.  I plan to make it up during my weekends.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#33 | Back to Top11-03-2010 03:40:30 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I really wanted to write more today, but I have a bastard of a headache. emot-frown I hate stopping in the middle of things, but...I've hit 10k and I think I deserve some sleep. Even if I do end up dreaming of it. emot-gonk

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#34 | Back to Top11-05-2010 02:26:50 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Doublepost for great justice! How's it going, guys? I'm currently procrastinating on this gloomy Saturday morning by PAYING BILLS, wtf. I think I'll go buy some new shoes next. emot-rofl In all seriousness, though, I'm feeling reasonably optimistic about TEH NOVEL even though I am avoiding starting it today; I've got a particularly tricky section waiting for me, and though I want to write it my Inner Editor's sharpening her knives. Bitch. emot-gonk Also, as I was paying bills anyway, I was finally a good muppet and I donated to NaNoWriMo. I mean, I've been doing it off and on since 2003 and I've only ever bought a t-shirt, so...time to give a little back, I guess. I mean, I'm getting WORDS, and consistent words, on a novel I never thought I would write properly, so...I had to say thank you. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Now, if I could only keep resisting the urge to get out my Copics and draw roller derby!Morgan and roller derby!Eliot. THERE WILL BE BLOOD! ...god, there's not even supposed to be a roller derby in this novel, what the shit. emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

Last edited by Clarice (11-05-2010 02:27:59 PM)

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#35 | Back to Top11-05-2010 03:37:25 PM

Mylene

I haven't written yet today because I was at a conference, but otherwise NaNo's going swimmingly.  16k words currently, with the loose goal of hitting 25k by the end of the day on Sunday.

#36 | Back to Top11-05-2010 03:42:58 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Go Mylene!

#37 | Back to Top11-06-2010 04:37:45 PM

MsDevin92
Wakaba Wrangler

Last night I hit a huge stumbling block and was up till like 2, argh.  I'm awful with action-oriented scenes.  Luckily, today words are pretty much flowing out of me, so I'm almost at 12k! emot-dance

#38 | Back to Top11-06-2010 04:48:03 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I can't believe I got my worst wordcount so far on a Saturday. It's Sunday morning now and I'm still dragging my heels, but I think I've managed to get through the bit that was really holding me back. And I broke 20k yesterday, so...whee! emot-dance

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#39 | Back to Top11-06-2010 07:33:36 PM

Mylene

I can't update my status on the site currently, but I'm sitting at 23,557 right now.  I've reached a part of the story that I've been looking forward to since it came to me sometime near the end of last year's NaNo. The first part of the week I was doing well, but not fully enjoying any of the scenes that I was writing.  Today, however, has been pure bliss.  I'm not much of a writer, but as long as I can feel the emotions of the characters deep in my heart, I am fully content.  I think I'll do some character development and mini-plots for awhile before I dive into the next hard part. Giant war.

#40 | Back to Top11-06-2010 07:54:26 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

I just now broke the 2,000-word mark, and I think I'm going to update my word count on the site in 2,000-word increments from here on out.  Writing at the moment is like pulling teeth; I'm a bit uninspired.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#41 | Back to Top11-06-2010 08:56:54 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

Day 6: 12,117, and I'm on a roll.  Hoping to hit 15k tomorrow.  No way I can keep up with our Iron Women of Authorship (Mylene and Clarice), but I think I've got a really good shot of finishing the challenge and finally getting this story written down.

#42 | Back to Top11-07-2010 02:18:15 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I'm glad to hear it, Paradox! Always good to feel the story coming together at last...I think I said earlier that I've had this story in fragments for at least five years and never really expected to write it out properly. I'm nearly the end of the second third now and think that this month I have a real shot at keeping the faith and getting well into the third part...and maybe, just MAYBE, to the very end. emot-aaa

I've also got 27,682 words now, so...halfway mark! Although really, NaNo is just something I do to MAKE me write. Even once I hit 50k, I still have a long way to go. Hopefully I will keep going and really make something of the energy I have right now. etc-love

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#43 | Back to Top11-07-2010 07:23:59 PM

Mylene

Holy smokes, the muse was alive and well today!  I got through another 6,902 words today alone!  I'm just shy of 31k.  I could start the next scene and get there, but then I'd want to keep going until I finished the scene (like I just did, when I was briefly just shy of 30k), and I'd never get to bed tonight.  Need to save some ideas so that my lunch writing tomorrow goes smoothly.

This was a great weekend, I'm not looking forward to going back to work and not being able to spend entire days writing whenever the desire hits.

#44 | Back to Top11-07-2010 07:27:35 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

Day 7: 16,541 words down.  Great day, over 4,400 words done, got quite a bit of other stuff done too, just kept this open all day, working on it when the inspiration hit.

Currently on target for a Nov 22 finish.  Go team IRG!

#45 | Back to Top11-10-2010 11:54:21 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

So, how's NaNo treating y'all? I had a rough night the other day, but I'm hoping that's behind me. Just over 38k now, and when I was flicking through the .doc at midnight last night I suddenly realised I am in the downward slide into the end of the second part of this damn book. emot-aaa I figure once I hit 50k, which is likely to be at the weekend, I'm going to keep going until this second part is finished and then run with the third. RUN LIKE I'M RUNNING WITH SCISSORS, DAMMIT. If all goes well, I think I might move my wordcount goalposts to one hundred thousand words and just...see what happens. Despite the angst of the other night, I just...really want to see where this book ends. So, we'll see. school-devil How's tricks for all of you right now?

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#46 | Back to Top11-10-2010 08:09:02 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

Day 10: 23,524 words.  This is already the longest single-author project I've ever written.  I'm into the second section of the story and on good pace to clear the halfway point tomorrow.  I'm thinking about taking a couple of days off next week, which should give me a really good chance to cross the 50k finish line by the 21st.

Of course, the word count is only half the battle, I am finishing this story.  If that happens at 45K and I need to write a side story for the last 5K or if that takes another 10 or 20K, I'm doing it.  I haven't had the writer's high this bad in a long time and I intend to ride it all the way to the finish line.

#47 | Back to Top11-10-2010 08:12:49 PM

Mylene

I crossed the 40k mark today.  I should definitely make the 50k mark this weekend.  However, that won't be enough to actually finish the story.  I'll probably take a bit of a break and slow down once I make the goal (I miss reading!), but one of my 101 things in 1001 days is to finish this particular story that I've been writing for 3 NaNos, so I'll definitely keep working on it at a slightly less intense pace.

I can't wait for Paradox to finish!  I think I've mentioned before that he's been mentioning he's had this idea for years but that's all that he's told me.  He's got my curiosity thoroughly piqued.

#48 | Back to Top11-11-2010 12:18:36 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Things are looking grim, folks.  My plate's just too full right now.  Whoever said, "Oh, November's a GREAT time to write a novel in a month!" should be taken out back and shot.  Clearly, this person was never a full-time college student, let alone a full-time GRADUATE STUDENT.  *seethes*

#49 | Back to Top11-11-2010 05:03:06 AM

Mylene

mercurynin wrote:

Things are looking grim, folks.  My plate's just too full right now.  Whoever said, "Oh, November's a GREAT time to write a novel in a month!" should be taken out back and shot.  Clearly, this person was never a full-time college student, let alone a full-time GRADUATE STUDENT.  *seethes*

Oh, most certainly agreed.  That's why I skipped 2006-2008, I was getting my MLS at the time.  There's no way I would ever even consider attempting NaNo as a student.  Many props to you for even attempting it!

#50 | Back to Top11-11-2010 11:46:49 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I have to admit that's why it can be slightly better for us down here, because our semesters run from February-June and July-November, meaning most students tend to finish their exams fairly early in November. That's why I found the first one back in 2003 relatively easy; I finished all my exams by the sixth and then didn't start my job until early December. emot-rolleyes I've never been as successful since, though this year I seem to be on track for it. I think mostly because I'm being stubborn, I love this story, and, weirdly enough, the diet I am on right now means I have to be more organised than usual in everything...

I'm almost at 42k, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for one hundred thousand words by month's end because that might actually be something I struggle for. Once I get through the second part of the story, too -- hopefully this weekend! -- the third is bound to trip me up and depress me somewhere. I should use NaNo to get through it...

Beyond The Silver Leaves

Board footer