This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-14-2014 01:42:22 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Is Ruka a self-insert?

The last run through Utena, I couldn't help but notice a passing resemblance between Ruka and Ikuhara. That highlight in the hair especially gave me Ikuni vibes. This made me wonder whether he'd actually inserted himself into the story for some dark nefarious purpose.

I'm the first to admit that it's past midnight right now and I'm likely not in my right mind because of it. My thoughts are half-formed, but I know that, if I don't vomit them out now, I probably will never have the courage to do so later.

If Ruka is actually Ikuni, what does it all mean? A bit of theorizing follows:
* Ikuni genuinely wanted to "fix" Juri. She's one of the more decent characters whose only real flaw is because she was tragically disillusioned when she was younger, not to mention the fact that Ikuni has a well-documented appreciation for lesbian relationships. So he figured he'd see how he would act, for better or worse, when confronted with someone in her situation.
* The resemblance was to show that Juri's damaged psyche was so scarred that not even an act of God (or director) could repair it. Who would know her better than Ikuni himself, after all? If he can't make it all better for her, who possibly can?
* It was all a subtle attack on those who write fix fics where the author goes into the story to magically correct all of the problems that the characters have. The methods used would rarely work out in reality, and this was their way of showing that the characters were too complex for those to work. This theory was inspired by episode 33 being made partly as a jab at unauthorized doujinshi where characters wind up in sexually compromising situations.
* Chiho Saito was tasked with creating a new character design at the last minute and just went with copying the first picture she could find, which happened to be Ikuni. He was cool with it so they kept it in.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

Aside from the liner notes in the DVD set, is there any official word about who or what Ruka was supposed to represent? Even if that short blurb is all we have about him, I think we've all learned to take everything that Ikuni says with a grain of salt, so I say this is fair game for baseless speculation.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#2 | Back to Top09-14-2014 01:53:57 AM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Re: Is Ruka a self-insert?

I've always heard of Chu-Chu as being Ikuhara's avatar for the series.

I don't know... I view Ruka as being very similar to Touga and I don't see the personality of Touga matching Ikuhara's. At least based on what I know about him.

I also recall that Ikuhara didn't particularly like Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon and kept trying to get rid of him because he didn't like the Usagi x Mamoru shipping. So would this mean Ikuhara is saying he doesn't like Shiori x Juri? Is Juri Ikuhara's 'type?' Ikuhara had a special attachment to Sailor Mars (Even cosplaying as her.) So could we find parallels there to use as support?

#3 | Back to Top09-14-2014 05:48:00 PM

KC
Wakaba Wrangler

Jacrad wrote:

I've always heard of Chu-Chu as being Ikuhara's avatar for the series.

Wasn't Chu-Chu meant to be Chiho Saito? Or am I just connecting them because they both have a 'ch' sound in their names? Either way...

I'm not sure if Ruka is a self insert per se, but he definitely does strike me as a character in the same kind of vein. Like Flah says, he attempts to 'fix' Juri's situation despite it being far more complex than he seems willing to give credit for. His attitude and actions, plus the fact that he only appears in a single episode leads me personally to believe that Ruka is more of a metaphorical character than a real one. Perhaps he's actually meant to personify Juri's internalized resentment towards her situation; a imaginary friend that everyone else can see for some reason whose only express purpose is to help Juri free herself from Shiori's influence.

That's enough from me, though.

http://i.imgur.com/nVg8IPl.png

#4 | Back to Top09-15-2014 09:47:49 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

I'm not sure.  I think if a pro like Ikuni inserted himself into the series he'd poke fun at himself. He strikes me as that type.

Last edited by Riri-kins (09-15-2014 09:48:27 AM)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#5 | Back to Top09-24-2014 08:02:52 AM

QueenOfJebri
Miki Molester

Isn't Shiori one of Ikuhara's favorites, though? If so, that makes it difficult for me to believe that Ruka is Ikuhara's self-insert.

The absolute destiny... of hot pockets.

#6 | Back to Top09-24-2014 09:17:41 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

It's a good call, Flah.  Ruka definitely looks like (an idealized version of) Ikuhara, and you're not the first to notice!  A few years ago, for instance, our own Davine Lu Linvega had this interesting idea, that the resemblance might have to do with executive pressure to get rid of the show's one clear-cut lesbian relationship.  I'm skeptical of that particular explanation, personally, but who knows?...

Ikuhara has said that Chu Chu is his SI, but Ikuhara has also said that Akio is drinking a lemonade with Dios in the last episode to symbolize draining Utena's life power, so, uh, grain of salt.  And of course Ikuhara might have more than one SI.

Jacrad, the interview you're bringing in is an interesting point!  Let me quote:

Q: Ikuhara-san, Utena and Sailor Moon are two of the most popular anime amongst yuri fans. Do you intentionally include shoujo-ai subtexts in your work?

A: No. I'm still able to make a story where it's between a boy and a girl. But I feel irritated to see my girl getting together with some other guy. I've tried to kill off Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon many times. But no matter how many times I tried to kill him, he gets resurrected so I only get angrier. So I decided it would be way better if the girl just didn't have a boyfriend to begin with. Of course I'm just kidding. In reality, if I have a guy in the show, the love relationship gets to have a bigger role than the show. And that would be an interesting element, but I wouldn't want that to make that the scene-stealer of the show. Most other shoujo shows are in that direction. It's about who-and-who are getting together, or who-and-who are breaking up. I thought it would be a loss if that would be the big motif just because a girl was the main character. I think there could be more shows with other motives than that.

And this time, I do believe him, because if there's one thing that distinguishes SKU from other shoujo shows, it's that SKU's themes are way more important than any of its relationships, even its central relationship.  So you can theorize: "SKU doesn't have durable heterosexual relationships because of Ikuni's preferences, and the in-story reason is that all the men are assholes.  The only adultish man whom the series encourages us not to view as an asshole is Ruka.  But if Ruka isn't an asshole, then someone might have a durable relationship with him.  Ikuni manages that risk by having Ruka die quickly, and in the meantime, Ikuni feels better about the whole thing if Ruka looks like him, so that the girl isn't 'getting together with some other guy.'"

Personally, I think the explanation is simpler.  Ikuhara gives Ruka the highlight for the same reason Ikuhara has his own highlight: because Ikuhara thinks it's a cool character design. emot-smile  But it's fun to think about!

#7 | Back to Top09-25-2014 04:15:50 PM

Gaston
Mikage Mistruster
Website

QueenOfJebri wrote:

Isn't Shiori one of Ikuhara's favorites, though? If so, that makes it difficult for me to believe that Ruka is Ikuhara's self-insert.

That make Ruka's and Shiori's sex scene even more creepy. emot-gonk

Proud Juri x Shiori, Nanami x Tsuwabuki and Utena x Wakaba fan

#8 | Back to Top01-03-2015 07:02:27 PM

Davine Lu Linvega
Spam Arsonist

Speak of the devil, and...

Anyway, my theory that Ruka represents a gay-erasing intervention by Ikuhara is more of a conjecture than part of my "personal canon." The idea of him as a creator's self-insert can go all kinds of places.

For instance, if Ruka is Ikuhara it suggests some interesting things about Ikuhara's relationship with the story he was telling. I recall Go Nagai said that after he'd started writing Devilman, the characters took on a life of their own and he could only follow where they led him. Maybe Juri's second duel storyline was partly about the distinction between what she wanted, what the creators wanted and what she needed as a character.

I think Ikuhara, on a basic level, wanted Juri to end up with Shiori, but I also think he knew (and most fans agree) that it's not a believable or ultimately a desirable ending for her, at least not before she and Shiori do a lot more maturing. To get past the unhealthy fantasy that dominated her life, she had to endure failure and despair. Ruka was unable to steer her away from that, but he did contribute to her ultimately positive outcome, and perhaps this speaks to Ikuhara's realizing his greatest potential as a creator. And in the end, Ruka leaves the story by dying. Could there be a better metaphor for the "death of the author?"

It's also interesting that this occurs right before the final arc of the story that brings about the most drastic changes in the characters. Ruka's death could be seen as a sweeping of all the creators' egos from the stage, the characters who have grown over the course of the story let loose to realize their true selves. And if that's what was going on in the minds of Ikuhara and the rest of the team, then perhaps all the conflicts that happened along the way were for the best, because if Ikuhara got everything he wanted I don't think the series would have ended up being as good as it is.

Not to mention that if Shiori is indeed one of Ikuhara's favorite characters, Ruka's storyline could have served as something of a fantasy vehicle as well...

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/albums/Series/Episodes/Akio_Arc/33/Series_ep33_030.jpg?m=1380825112

"Looking for a fantasy vehicle? Pile in."

Board footer