This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-14-2008 08:19:14 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Did Akio seduce anyone purely for pleasure?

I think he enjoyed being with Mrs. Ohtori because she was an experienced older woman, and they both knew it was casual. Some might argue he liked being with Anthy or Kozue, but we never know if he really does anything with the latter, and I see his time with Anthy as purely controlling. What do you think?

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#2 | Back to Top12-15-2008 12:42:18 AM

Madam Cheezy
Ballgoer
Website

Re: Did Akio seduce anyone purely for pleasure?

I want to say he might of did it with Utena for pleasure.

An older guy who can get an 8th grader in bed, with his penchant for the occasional sleaze....yeah, the timing was right, and I'm sure she wasn't the first he deflowered. But, because she was so strong, it was probably more of a win there.

And maybe Gio....emot-tongue

When I had asked my cat, 'Who's the best?' he stared back and said simply, 'Mao.'

"Arise, gay ocelot, and bitch up the fagtastic sniz-ake."
-My husband, drabble-ing

#3 | Back to Top12-15-2008 01:52:48 AM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

Trick question. With Akio, purely controlling is pleasure.

#4 | Back to Top12-15-2008 02:03:03 AM

Madam Cheezy
Ballgoer
Website

Quoth Hedgehogy:

So......that means everyone, right? emot-tongue

When I had asked my cat, 'Who's the best?' he stared back and said simply, 'Mao.'

"Arise, gay ocelot, and bitch up the fagtastic sniz-ake."
-My husband, drabble-ing

#5 | Back to Top12-15-2008 02:11:56 AM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Of course Akio is able to manipulate you by getting into your pants~emot-rofl
but that aside, can one say sleeping with Anthy is not a pleasurable thing in itself??

Last edited by Itsuke (12-15-2008 07:26:33 AM)

#6 | Back to Top12-15-2008 05:26:33 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Welll he must be flexible in his penetration efforts if he can avoid all the swords school-devil

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#7 | Back to Top12-15-2008 06:22:12 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

I think he'd get off on Anthy's pain. emot-aaa And the swords pierce only her no matter how they're sticking out (somehow, wow, isn't that mysterious and unexplained like so many SKU things heh heh) so he doesn't have to worry about it.

And I reckon he presses down harder just to make it hurt more, because that gives him more sadistic pleasure. After all he seemed to have a pretty good time "not noticing" Utena's pain and confusion.

He gets off on people being under his thumb, like Hedge said. So much evil pleasure...

#8 | Back to Top12-15-2008 02:34:48 PM

DeepSubmerge
Saionji Slapper

sSeducing someone has to do a lot with control. The ones who get seduced give in to him, and become to yet another ball of wax he can use for his purposes. There is also a lot of self-affirmation going on.
And as a side effect, it makes Akios ego grow larger than china.

#9 | Back to Top12-15-2008 04:26:02 PM

MissKosmic
Juri Jeerer
Website

Hedgehogey wrote:

omg you stole my thoughts right out of my head. how startling! emot-aaa

Last edited by MissKosmic (12-15-2008 04:26:20 PM)

#10 | Back to Top12-15-2008 06:10:14 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

No, he doesn't do anything for pleasure. Everything's business to him. And he doesn't really like it, either. Every day, he goes home and sobs into his pillow, feeling incredibly used. His groin is so beyond thawing that a pick-axe to that area wouldn't even make him flinch.

Ahahahaha. No. The two are combined to Akio. Pleasure is best complemented and is thus maximized by business. On its own, its satisfactory, but oddly empty. The brain is the most powerful sexual organ, after all, and Akio's real kink is emotional and mental domination. I imagine it would also give him the pleasure of marking something off on his agenda. Two birds with one stone, as the mysterious "they" say.

I'd reckon its an art form, really. The sense of accomplishment of merging both. Hedonistic as he is, I don't think he spends much time seducing for idle pleasure. He simply doesn't have that many hours to dedicate to it. Busy guy.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#11 | Back to Top12-15-2008 06:20:11 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Don't you think he'd get tired of balancing so many manipulated lovers, though? It's gotta be hard to convince so many people that they're the only ones he cares about.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#12 | Back to Top12-15-2008 10:27:31 PM

Katzenklavier

That's why he reserves his resources to only those that matter. Leaving a trail of broken hearts is messy and creates too many enemies. Not to mention it threatens his reputation. He's not a Touga who needs constant accoutrement to his ego, nor does he need to convince himself of his own seduction skill.

No matter how enticing a lover may be, they are only part of his all-consuming ambition to gain the power of Dios. He picks and chooses his targets from those who are well-bound to the Rose, and manipulates them from intermediates such as Mikage or Touga. For the ones he needs the most, he gets them nice and close within his web before fully taking advantage of him.

Yeah, he's sensual, but he's not a dumbass either. He's a very good strategist.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#13 | Back to Top12-16-2008 02:40:03 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Anthy.

(Wait, that might be pain.)

I'd like to say Saionji, but he could have just wanted to make him and Touga more comfortable so Touga could have a bride and such. :\

#14 | Back to Top12-16-2008 07:14:41 AM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

Personally I think Akio is like Light Yagami from Death Note, he only has sex as a means of been able to manipulate people better, any fun he has is pure gravy.

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#15 | Back to Top12-16-2008 07:42:12 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Riri wrote: Don't you think he'd get tired of balancing so many manipulated lovers, though? It's gotta be hard to convince so many people that they're the only ones he cares about.

I see what you're saying, Riri, good thought.

However imo Akio doesn't really bother to make his lovers feel cared for. Or even like they are the only ones. He lets them feel guilty (Utena re Kanae), or avoids them (Kanae), or boasts of his other conquests (Touga re Utena), or f's them with both parties enjoying the illicit knowledge that he should be with someone else (Mrs Ohtori re Kanae), or waits for other parties to walk into the room (Tokiko re Nemuro), or deliberately meets up in front of other parties (Kozue re Nanami), or does it with multiple parties at the same time (Touga & Saionji), or does it with their full knowledge that he is sleeping with multiple partners and can they manipulate more people into sleeping with him too please (Anthy). emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa

Mock wrote: Personally I think Akio is like Light Yagami from Death Note, he only has sex as a means of been able to manipulate people better, any fun he has is pure gravy.

Hmm. *turns thought over* I reckon Light is a bit more asexual...he really doesn't seem interested in sex in any way excepting manipulation.

Akio however seems to enjoy it. He's much more sensual, and fully exercising/flaunting his sexuality at every opportunity. He seems to look for opportunities to use sex for manipulation. Whereas Light seems reluctant to have sex, even when he has to for manipulative purposes.

Plus Akio is getting a LOT more sex than Light is. From a LOT more people. etc-wankdude

#16 | Back to Top12-16-2008 08:05:44 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

sharnii wrote:

However imo Akio doesn't really bother to make his lovers feel cared for.

I think he does! At least for the duration of what it takes to seduce someone and have sex with them in bed (or some other place closest to). Someone might feel neglected by him whenever out of his presence, but as soon as he's in near proximity, he has the ability to just charm away any doubts the character had. At least for a short while.

On another silly note, there's no suggestion Akio ever slept with Kanae. emot-frown emot-rofl

#17 | Back to Top12-16-2008 08:51:56 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Arki wrote: Someone might feel neglected by him whenever out of his presence, but as soon as he's in near proximity, he has the ability to just charm away any doubts the character had. At least for a short while.

But is his particular brand of charm (as in making them feel hot enough to drop their socks) the same as making them feel cared about? Isn't there a subtle difference? *enjoys debate*

On another silly note, there's no suggestion Akio ever slept with Kanae. emot-frown emot-rofl

I for one feel sorry for Kanae. She's probably still a virgin! emot-aaa For Akio's fiance, that's aPALLing! emot-aaa emot-aaa
Poor sweetly-smiling (sexually repressed) Kanae. All she ever gets is Akio's arm around her shoulders, and even that's for the benefit of the watching Utena. Oh and she got some hand-feeding too. I suppose that was pretty hot. In a way... school-devil

#18 | Back to Top12-16-2008 12:24:35 PM

Katzenklavier

Yeah, but I repeat that he's smart. He uses sexuality as his weapon, and he's very effective at what he aims it tow -

Oh fuck. I just had this image of Akio's schlong with a target seeker program, following some poor unsuspecting student. Then he punches his jollies and blast-off!

Okay, anyway. What I mean is that his sexuality is not a goal in and of itself. It's a way to accomplish a greater ambition. His approach (sexual charm vs. romantic flirtation) depends very much on the target. And again, he's not screwing people left and right like Touga. Which is why I respect him. His brain may be in his junk, but at least it's a damn good brain.

As for Kanae, yeah, I'd say he hit it. Why? To cement a business contract. If he has sex with her, then it's a sealed engagement that can't easily be broken in terms of traditional values. Also, Kanae is attractive, and I don't think he's quite so off-put by her that he wouldn't indulge himself. After all, when Utena first met them, they were engaged deep in liplock. And let's not all forget about Mrs. Ohtori's speech on "pleasing" her daughter. *COUGHCREEPY*

#19 | Back to Top12-16-2008 01:05:24 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

sharnii wrote:

But is his particular brand of charm (as in making them feel hot enough to drop their socks) the same as making them feel cared about?

Well, I'd like to think Akio has a way of manipulating individuals by playing on what they're weak on, making them believe that having sex with him (or in other words falling under his influence) will somehow bring some kind of benefit to their goals. An example of this could be Touga, which strives for power. And who has more power than Akio? Or Himemiya, who is somehow convinced there is no other way to live than the way she currently does. It is at the end of the series she realizes it's not the case and does the extremely banal thing of simply packing her bags and leaving.

Because it really was that simple, but changing your own beliefs and convictions is very difficult. And it is Akio who manipulates people to believe something that isn't so, just for his personal goals. Which is what I find very appealing in him, because it's so much more sexy than an inhumane power of just making everyone drop like fleas onto their knees. emot-rofl

Hmm. Perhaps it's not really a matter of caring for a character. I doubt Touga is really in it for the love. emot-rolleyes

#20 | Back to Top12-17-2008 10:22:04 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

Don't you think he'd get tired of balancing so many manipulated lovers, though? It's gotta be hard to convince so many people that they're the only ones he cares about.

Kozue was a pure sport fuck, as far as I'm concerned.

But while I agree with Katzen here, for the sake of argument, how about this? Akio always manages to have a convincing strategic reason to seduce the people he does, yes? How reinforcing that is to the image he has of himself. His lusts are diffuse, aimed only at others by accidentally reflecting it off himself, the only person he has any real interest in. It's convenient for him to be always be able to justify his actions in a grander scheme. Otherwise he'd have to contend with desiring another.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#21 | Back to Top12-18-2008 12:07:16 AM

Katzenklavier

A very perfect and interesting point, Gio. It would explain a lot of his conflict over Anthy. You noted before how much he attempts to dominate and diminish her. Especially given his tears in the end, it's to degrade his own mixed passionate feelings for her that he can't fully come to terms with. Now these feelings I wouldn't equate with caring for her so much as needing her. Needing her to reinforce his image of himself - which Anthy carefully undermines.

It's strategy, but there's a definite psychological basis for it. Oh. Oh. So I've always asked why Akio pursues the End of the World. Now I think I have it. Akio uses it as an excuse, pretty much. He needs justification for his actions. Ooooh. *goes off to think*

Thank you, Gio! etc-love

#22 | Back to Top12-18-2008 02:28:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I do try. emot-smile

With Anthy though, it's so obviously about needing her under his control. Lust, desire, that's a trickier subject and in some ways a lot more dangerous for him. Need is something rare enough in Akio's life that he can ignore it, call it something else, bury it, distract it. Desire, however, is supposed to be the language native to him, something he flaunts his mastery of, so for him to sexually desire one specific other person could be, based on degree, a weakness. 'I want' as selfish greed, for example, is perfectly safe. 'I want' as him admitting there's something else out there he desires, that (whether he accepts this or not) could actually not want him back? Ruh-roh.

Which actually starts to sound very much like Touga. The two have more in common than I suspect either likes to think about.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#23 | Back to Top12-26-2008 10:46:37 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Did Akio seduce anyone purely for sexual pleasure?
No. He cannot achieve the goal without someone's humilation or sth like that. Just like some rapists - they do not rape in order to satisfy themselves but to make someone suffer or to humilate somebody.

Did Akio seduce anyone for pleasure?
Hell, yes! He's Valmont, he could peak if he saw a slave asking for his touch on his knees. (Begging on knees, not touching knees.)
His cruelty and human sorrow arouse him. Perfect kink, his queerness is almost invisible, hidden in his mind.

Edit:Now I wonder - has he ever lost control over himself? emot-confused Or over his passion? He may be a devil, but he isn't a robot for sure.

Last edited by dlaire (12-26-2008 10:47:13 AM)

#24 | Back to Top12-26-2008 11:27:50 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I think he tried to with Anthy. At least I felt she's probably the only one if there is any that he would be willing to lose control for.
Evidence? When Anthy gave her goodnight, he replied, "How long will you torment me?" He wants "something" out of her, maybe it's something similar to what Saionji wanted out of Anthy? Except in this case, it would have been a very, very, very, very, very, very special friend.

#25 | Back to Top03-06-2009 09:29:08 AM

Nickyhabac
Wakaba Wrangler

sharnii wrote:

And I reckon he presses down harder just to make it hurt more,

So much evil pleasure...

emot-gonk

Board footer