This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-02-2008 06:24:57 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Happy Birthday Beautiful~

By my time zone, it's 8:30 AM on a Saturday. Unheard of for me! But I shot right up to wish Shiori a Happy Birthday! emot-dance

etc-love etc-love etc-love Happy Birthday Shiori! etc-love etc-love etc-love You're 27 now! That's insane.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#2 | Back to Top02-02-2008 06:57:46 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Re: Happy Birthday Beautiful~

Wow. Are we all invited to Shiori's party? emot-dance Happy Birdday emot-tongue

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#3 | Back to Top02-02-2008 07:03:50 AM

beautifulpanther
Qualified Duellist
Website

happy birthday!

*hands over a magic catbell and snickers* xD

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/NicoRobin1985/wheebanner2.jpg
Bianca   *1989 - +14.09.2007

"A duel against a feather has nothing to do with provocation or letting you look like a fool. Duelling the feather, the essence of all art and truth written down on paper, is a duel against your inner self to find security and cognition" (©Octavian)

#4 | Back to Top02-02-2008 07:33:14 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Shiori party at my place! Everyone's invited! emot-dance

Alright, time to get mushy... as stupid as it sounds to say an anime series changed your life, it did. Shoujo Kakumei Utena got me through, and it's altered the way I see the world. Especially Shiori. If it wasn't for her, I'd be more cynical than ever. She has shown me that having demons doesn't make you a villain. Not everyone can be pure and selfless all the time. I think it played a big part in the way I treat people. Some people may knock my obsession, and some people may think Shiori is a worthless character with no merit. But I wouldn't be standing (sitting) here today as the person you've grown to know, and maybe even love, without Shiori. She's as beautiful to me now as the day I saw her, and every time I pop in my DVDs, I fall more in love. etc-love

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#5 | Back to Top02-02-2008 08:22:17 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Happy birthday to Shiori...man, I never would have thought I'd say that.

But, thanks to some extended conversations with Yasha, I've come to recognize some of myself in Shiori, which has made me feel friendlier toward her. Even they are parts of me I find repellant, I can still sympathize. And maybe by now she's outgrown her inferiority complex? Probably not, but I do wonder what 27 year old Shiori would look like.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#6 | Back to Top02-02-2008 08:26:57 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Happy birthday, Shiori!

And this will be celebrated in this post with fic! coolemot-dance

...as soon as I get back from bashing my Zune into submission. emot-mad

#7 | Back to Top02-02-2008 09:13:18 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Happy birthday, Shiori!!!! emot-dance

Now you're one year older than me!!! YAY!!! Let's go out for drinks and see if we can still get carded!!!

Yeah, SKU was the perfect show for me. I couldn't have made it through the most difficult part of my life if I hadn't been watching the show, and thinking of parallels constantly to feel like I wasn't alone in my struggles.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#8 | Back to Top02-02-2008 11:25:00 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

The first time I watched SKU it was my senior year college exam week (or the one right before it, where I have to do all the studying bits). I had this 75ish page honor's thesis I was supposed to have finished by the end of the week, and I'd barely started. I ended up watching SKU bit out of a panicked impending knowledge of failure/almost-but-not-quite-hyperventilating... Good times. (The honors thesis /did/ get finished, actually, although I'll never be quite sure how. Believe in miracles, etc.)

I think I know what you guys are talking about though, re:/ charachters and themes with parallels. Especially what frosty just said, about watching the show and realizing that other people had the same issues. That's certainly one of the reasons I came to like the show so much. Plus - the flexibility/interpretability of the show's style let's you read a lot into it as well, whoever you are and whatever your issues are. I think almost everyone can find a few things to relate too within it.

#9 | Back to Top02-02-2008 12:21:10 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Yay! Happy birthday Shiori! emot-danceetc-love

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#10 | Back to Top02-02-2008 02:53:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Announced! emot-dance poptart emot-dance

I keep meaning to do that for character birthdays. By the way, this is the first time in four years we can get to actually celebrate Anthy's birthday!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top02-02-2008 03:50:41 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

...Ruka and I are still drunk/stoned/orgied out from our twinequse birthday a week and a half ago. D:
(Since I already have a twin, does that make us like... triplets?)

But unlike Ruka, I will wish Shiori a happy birthday.

#12 | Back to Top02-02-2008 03:52:37 PM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

Happy Birthday, Shiori!

Juri celebrates by spending the day in an asylum ("THERE ARE NO MIRACLES! SHIORI LIEEEEEDD!!")

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#13 | Back to Top02-02-2008 04:00:06 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Happy Birthday Shiori! emot-keke

27... wow.  That means most of the SKU cast is a year or two younger than me.  Somehow, that makes everything seem right. cool

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#14 | Back to Top02-02-2008 04:02:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

27... wow.  That means most of the SKU cast is a year or two younger than me.  Somehow, that makes everything seem right. cool

Saionji's totally older than me by this rule, so it's not statutory rape! emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance

Although it's kinda creepy to imagine how Shiori is at this age...

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#15 | Back to Top02-02-2008 04:28:26 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHIORI.

I feel a lot of post-series fic coming on.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#16 | Back to Top02-02-2008 04:48:05 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

[nerdiness]

Actually, Shiori's 26 today.

Japanese children start 1st grade when they turn 6 just like we do. The only difference is that they do it in April instead of August/September. So, anyone who's not 6 by April 1st has to wait for next year.

[/nerdiness]

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#17 | Back to Top02-02-2008 05:45:09 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I wonder how Shiori would feel to have a group of strangers on the internet wishing her a happy birthday. Would it help alleviate her feelings of inferiority or make her paranoid?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#18 | Back to Top02-02-2008 05:58:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

I wonder how Shiori would feel to have a group of strangers on the internet wishing her a happy birthday. Would it help alleviate her feelings of inferiority or make her paranoid?

It wouldn't help. A person with low self-esteem won't gain it by having internets worship. Trust me on that. emot-frown

But it'd totally make her walk around Ohtori all cockylike until Touga bangs her in the music room. emot-dance

(Doesn't this dating by the release of the series land Akio in like...his 50s? Oh baby I don't mind. They make drugs for that these days. emot-dance)

#19 | Back to Top02-02-2008 06:11:00 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

From where I come from it is already Feb 3rd so I will be a day late to say happy Birthday to Shiori, so instead I have made up a list of character Birthdays as well as their star signs.

Shiori: Feb 2 - Aquarius
Anthy: Feb 29 - Pisces
Wakaba: Mar 14 - Pisces
Kanae: Apr 2 - Aries
Kozue May 28 - Gemini
Miki: May 28 - Gemini
Touga: Jun 4 - Gemini
Mitsuru: Jul 10 - Cancer
Nanami: Aug 8 - Leo
Saionji: Aug 25 - Virgo
Dios: Sep 15 - Virgo
Keiko: Oct 6 - Libra
Mikage: Nov 30 - Sagittarius
Juri: Dec 1 - Sagittarius
Utena: Dec 29 – Capricorn

I find these facts interesting:
Anthy and Wakaba are like the two sides of the same Star sign.
Miki and Kozue are Gemini? Didn't see that coming. emot-tongue
I can see Nanami as a Leo esspecially when she was all fours looking like a lion.
Saionji as a Virgo = Yes, Akio as a Virgo? BWHAHAHAHA!emot-rofl
Keiko is a Libra huh, well, her hair kinda looks like The Scales.

(It should be noted that January is the only month without a character birthday and that Taurus and Scorpio are the only star signs not in use.)

Last edited by Tamago (02-02-2008 06:35:36 PM)

#20 | Back to Top02-02-2008 06:19:30 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

awwwwwww cool happy b-day to her and I wonder what her b-day party would be like?

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#21 | Back to Top02-02-2008 06:20:06 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

(It should be noted that January is the only month without a character birthday and that taurus and Scorpio are the only star signs not in use.)

Which is interesting, since Scorpio's ruling body part is the genitals. emot-confused

As for Saionji and Akio...Saionji as Virgo makes sense. Poor kid. Akio as Virgo...well I guess it's based on Dios' birth date, huh? emot-frown

As an Aquarian myself...Shiori as one makes like...no sense. This is the humanitarian sign!

#22 | Back to Top02-02-2008 06:34:50 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Akio as Virgo...well I guess it's based on Dios' birth date, huh? emot-frown

But if you think about it, Akio wasn't born as such, Anthy created him from Dios and if this event occured between October 23 - November 21 (Scorpio) then you could say that in a sense that Akio became a Scorpio. school-freudcool

#23 | Back to Top02-02-2008 06:36:13 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Tamago wrote:

(It should be noted that January is the only month without a character birthday and that taurus and Scorpio are the only star signs not in use.)

Which is interesting, since Scorpio's ruling body part is the genitals. emot-confused

As for Saionji and Akio...Saionji as Virgo makes sense. Poor kid. Akio as Virgo...well I guess it's based on Dios' birth date, huh? emot-frown

As an Aquarian myself...Shiori as one makes like...no sense. This is the humanitarian sign!

I always never really liked nanami, and she's under the same sign as I. I really should have been a cancer, but Touga as a Gemini PERFECT! muahahahahha, all my friends and family members are gemini.

In the same breath I do have to say I appreciate nanami as a chara.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#24 | Back to Top02-02-2008 07:07:31 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Happy birthday, Shiori!  Wow, good thing I saw the announcement in time!

I'm a Gemini, which is nice because I like all three of those characters.  Miki and Kozue do a fair job showing off both sides of Gemini: intelligent and compassionate, but often a shallow social butterfly.  I don't remember reading the part that said Geminis are manipulative, unscrupulous power-grabbers, though.  I guess an astrologer who said that to his client would not have a job for very long.

Ikuhara evidently passed up the opportunity to make Nanami a Taurus (and hence a figurative as well as a literal cow) and to make Shiori a Capricorn (though to be fair, he couldn't have been expected to foresee the Shiori = goat comparison).  Utena feels to me less like a Capricorn and more like a Taurus.  As for Kanae in Aries, I can only think that was intended to be ironic.

#25 | Back to Top02-02-2008 07:21:12 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I share my birthday with the Gemini's as well. emot-smile I'm not a big Miki fan, but Kozue and Touga suit me just fine. It's nice to share something with them that isn't an STD.

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Shiori! emot-keke If she is still alive by now, I can only assume Jury is either dead or in an asylum.

Actually, I wonder what kind of career Shiori would have at 26? I can't think of anything that really suits her...

Board footer