This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-20-2009 02:19:11 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

The Christian Theme(s) in SKU

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but I was just curious what the main themes that correlate to Christianity if there are any.
As we've all seen, SKU has many religious themes, mainly revolving around Eastern religions.
Everyone's noticed the entire Lucifer/Akio connection, but was Dios supposed to represent an Angel or even an Archangel that fell? Was Utena actually 'saved' in that way? if so...What would that make Anthy?

Edited by satyreyes to fix the typo in the title.

Last edited by satyreyes (03-11-2012 07:28:36 PM)

#2 | Back to Top07-20-2009 03:33:14 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Re: The Christian Theme(s) in SKU

I am not sure. At core it seems more dualistic than Christian.

Akio himself says that Dios was once God or a god, and it is very strongly implied that Anthy is a goddess or an ex-goddess. It is very strongly implied that Utena is something like a warrior angel who set off on a mission to rescue Anthy and save what was left of the nobility of Dios (a rather forgetful angel though.)

People love to rip off the iconography of other religions and cultures without really understanding or even respecting them and the Japanese seem to be as bad as anybody. So I guess that the Christian iconography doesn't mean that much in itself. The stained glass windows, for example, probably don't mean anything although sometimes I wonder if it is meant to imply that her parents were Christian.

But there are themes that could be aligned with Christianity. Utena is trying to be a Homeric hero seeking self-glory and discovers that she needs to be more like a Christian hero offering her own self up as sacrifice to save others who do not seem to merit salvation.

One of the things I really like about Utena is that it depicts a very realistic devil; no possessing people, no thunderbolts or fumes, no cackling, no hurting people just for sadistic fun, no obvious evil, just a really cool guy in a cool car. I don't know of any other film that does such a good job of depicting the devil as he probably really is. Even more interesting is the implication that evil is basically just twisted good, there is no such thing as pure evil. Utena and Anthy seem to love him because he was once an angel.

And suppose the devil had a kid sister? What would her life be like? Pretty miserable, apparently. But I don't see an obvious Christian counterpart to Anthy.

#3 | Back to Top07-20-2009 03:38:31 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

I love that about Akio too! It's in the apppearance of a person, and it's even the opposite of what you would imagine in a way.

Weren't there also crosses in Episode 9 and in the apocalypse saga?(During the flashbacks of the coffins, etc. And they are in a church.)

#4 | Back to Top07-20-2009 04:27:00 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

But I don't see an obvious Christian counterpart to Anthy.

Unless you interpret her as a would-be Jesus, who takes the burdens of the world's sins upon herself...which does squat to help the actual human condition, or her brother, who she was trying to protect.

Still, I don't think that you can interpret SKU as a purely Christian metaphor. It would be easier to go with the Gnostic route, or use multiple religious allegories in conjunction - perhaps both.

Last edited by Lightice (07-20-2009 04:28:05 PM)

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#5 | Back to Top07-20-2009 05:00:25 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

One Christian symbol for Anthy, I noticed, was her possibly representing sinful humanity being delivered and becoming the Bride of Christ as is in Christian symbolising.  Utena opening up the coffin represents setting her free from her unregenerated nature and climbing to freedom.  Leaving Ohtori can be interpreted as leaving the 'world' to follow where her savior is (to eternity, so to speak). 

I think a variety of religious intepretations could be made (and I plan on studying some Buddhist philosophies to see how this ties in since a lot of it does). 

I once uncovered a lot of parallels on the Christian theme but may have to review them another time for a coherent post.

However, for people who are especially spiritual or religious, I think what they can learn from SKU is to focus less on the ritual aspect and focus on the love you feel for whatever deity you believe in.  Essentially I almost pursued a strong spiritual path upon first watching this because I felt that that was what I was missing in my life all along.  But the love Utena shows for Anthy would be what I call the 'agape' form of love which many religious groups idealize and strive to perfect.

#6 | Back to Top07-20-2009 05:01:56 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

ooooh, interesting topic emot-keke

I'm once again reminded of the manga...

One of my favorite panels is of Akio as Lucifer. There's a whole smattering of the meaning of his name, an Venus' relation to both a devil and beauty and/or goddess.

This topic also reminded me of a very small (and possibly the only) reference to Ohtori possibly being a Christian-esque school (in the manga)... Apparently, while Juri was torturing Utena to drive home the 'hands off Touga' point, she called Tenjou to come forward in mass.... If I'm not mistaken it was a solo hymn (re-reads) It's only one line, and because of it's insignificance it stood out to me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the anime, everything is done in a way that could speak to several different religious themes, and I find it hard to pick them out... but I will try to find some... I'm not particularly good at this u_u

hmmm... well.... I see several characters sacrificing themselves, but it is Utena and Anthy that stand out for me. Anthy goes against the hatred of the world in order to protect her brother. I always liked that she dangled from the Sword of Millions in such a fashion. It actually reminded me of Sailor Saturn (Hotaru) in the Sailor Moon Manga...

--now that I think about it, the duality of Dios and Akio is something I'd like to examine a bit closer. The thing that strikes me is the absence of 'God's Vengence'. Of the themes of contradictions there really isn't one for that particular aspect of the Christian god. Also Akio doesn't honestly seem to be bent on destroying anything... and Dios..well.... Dios is around. Anthy also doesn't read as the destroy-y type.

okay, so I'm running off at a tangent and this isn't going anywhere... I tried, promise...

--although funny story (not so funny actually) I bought vol. 1 and 2 of Utena when I was 14. I was going on vacay to a distant relatives house...who, to my disgust, had something against manga and anime. Anyway, I'm only a chapter away from finishing vol. 1 when she declares it evil and she doesn't want it in her house... I tried really hard to explain how un-evil it is... which turned out to be a bad idea. Why? Because she takes hold of the 2nd GN flips through a few pages, see's the word Dios and decides it's mocking christianity.... and that's how I spent a two week vacation pissed, because I REALLY wanted to finish that manga... I had to send it back with the rents...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#7 | Back to Top07-20-2009 05:24:34 PM

junior
New Student
Website

It pays off Christian symbolism, but not in a way a christian would be satisfied with.

The references of the poem about breaking the word's shell is to the novel Damien by Herman Hessee, which is a novel which talks about the idea of God being both good and evil.  (The Utena sountrack directly references the novel, as the student council theme in the American translated OST is called "The name of the God is Abraxis" a line from the cracking the world's shell discussion in the novel)  This is explicit in the manga, where Dios was a god that was both good and evil, that split into two entities, Dios and Akio.

In the series, the idea is instead that Akio is a devil figure, in Christianity associated with the idea of a fallen angel.  But Akio is actually a falllen christ figure, sacrificing himself for the daughters of the word, an ancient savior.  Rather than being betrayed and crucified by humanity, his sister was crucified for trying to save him, causing his "fall."

So, Akio is a fallen, Christ the devil and Jesus combined into one character, a God who is both good and evil.

Akio is also associated with the story of the gnostic sect of christianity, which is where the Abraxas term comes from, but that's a whole other story.

#8 | Back to Top07-20-2009 08:04:24 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Setsuna wrote:

Weren't there also crosses in Episode 9 and in the apocalypse saga?(During the flashbacks of the coffins, etc. And they are in a church.)

I don't remember that specifically but there are certainly lots of crosses and roses in the movie, both being Christian symbols of love and sacrifice.

A long time ago I started a thread where I pointed out that the that the climatic scene of the final episode paralleled Michelangelo's Creation of Adam. I can't find that thread. I also started a thread which you can find in Satyreyes's Table of Content about some of the Morning Star symbolism.

#9 | Back to Top07-28-2009 02:48:35 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

Well I would never think that SKU could be based solely after one religion so this is very open. :grin:

But the entire concept of the 'Prince' and in the very beginning opening, their armour like attire and style throughout the series can also correlate knightlike imagery as well. And the entire European themes jumbled in as well can also suggest that they meant some sort of ties to Christianity.

Here are the images I was talking about at first:
(linked because I didn't want to make this thread too heavy)
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 6.jpg.html
The Cross and the Church are singled out in one shot, which is SKU normally is deliberate, singling out what you need to see.

http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 0.jpg.html
The context of this scene is so rich with symbolism. If it just wanted to show a cemetary and church setting, then they would've had gravestones or something less ambigous. But instead there are crosses everywhere with the dominant blacked- out church in the back

Episode 9 alone:
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 1.jpg.html
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 3.jpg.html
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 9.jpg.html
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 8.jpg.html
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 2.jpg.html
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 5.jpg.html
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/e … 7.jpg.html

As we've seen, if it's repeated over and over, it's a hint to show you what it means.
Not to mention Akio himself thouroughly represents the idea of Lucifer. And Dios in my eyes was a prince, but he had to have a supernatural feel about him, possibly showing him the angel/archangel figure. And the images are always paired with a Dios/Utena or Akio prescence or connection.

Edit: I just saw brian's post and will more then likely edit this again later because I'm going to go read those threads. ^_^

Edit 2:  Also playing off in Demian the chapter near the beginning in which Demian states that The Devil should be celebrated like God as well because they couldn't exist without the other, and nature wouldn't play out without another as well, which would also make it plausible that it's intentional that Akio is seen like both Jesus and Lucifer. If it weren't for that Ohtori's events wouldn't occur as they did, so it makes sense that if you want to appreciate Ohtori, you have to appreciate Akio.
Which would also tie with the meaning of Lucifer being 'adversary' and in Judaism, the character Satan isn't as prominant, if existent, because Lucifer helps is the one who 'keeps mankind in check' so to say. He is still an angel, and is loved by God.

Last edited by Setsuna (07-28-2009 02:56:39 PM)

#10 | Back to Top08-05-2009 06:18:17 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

The graves of Utena's parents were decorated with crosses. That does strongly imply that they were Christian. Who knows if a Japanese audience would make that conclusion?

I read a recently published glossary of anime and under the heading Christianity there was a discussion of how Christianity is depicted. He said that Christianity is admired for its idealism and compassion and also regarded as somewhat mysterious and spooky in part because it had been an illegal underground religion for a couple of centuries. (I forgot the title and author.)

#11 | Back to Top08-06-2009 06:02:18 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Personally, I just like casting the SKU cast in Jesus Christ Superstar. emot-tongue

Utena = Jesus
Anthy = Judas
Akio = Pilate
Wakaba = Mary
Touga = Herrod
Mikage = Caiaphas
Mamiya = Annas
Miki = Peter
Juri = Simon
Nanmi and co = soldiers
Shadow Girls = reporters/dancing girls during "Superstar" number
Black Rose Duelists = lepers

It's far from perfect, but certainly seeing Utena and Anthy sharing the roles of Jesus and Judas in one form or another is an interesting analogy.

Really, however, once you get past Jesus/Utena/Anthy dying for everyone's sins and Akio being the devil (surprise, surprise), there's not much more Christianity that a person who isn't well versed in the bible as I am can find. I find SKU's allegories to be more Greco-Roman in nature. Or a mix of both. The fun thing about anime is that it tends to be a mixed metaphor of western allusions.

Although, wait a minute. Anthy is Cain and Dios was Able? She even has the mark on her forehead, although, for that matter, so does Akio. Hrm... I'll have to think about this more the next time I read the bible and/or watch Utena.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#12 | Back to Top08-07-2009 03:02:45 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

NajiMinkin wrote:

Although, wait a minute. Anthy is Cain and Dios was Able? She even has the mark on her forehead, although, for that matter, so does Akio. Hrm... I'll have to think about this more the next time I read the bible and/or watch Utena.

Or another Demian comparison. emot-biggrin

#13 | Back to Top08-08-2009 08:33:27 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Well this is easy. Utena is Christ, what with the dying to deliver us from evil; Anthy is us, what with being saved by Christ; and Akio is Satan, the collective evil that surrounds us and binds us to our pain, and not necessarily and actual being so mush asa nature in mankind

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#14 | Back to Top06-07-2011 09:39:18 PM

artemis88
Mikage Mistruster

bump.. I'd really love to see what other observations/insights people have on this topic

#15 | Back to Top06-11-2011 12:57:16 AM

Nebula
Miki Molester

While much can be said about Utena as a messiah figure or Akio as a devil figure, what stood out for me personally were the themes of love, forgiveness, and redemption.  Over the course of the series, Utena's love for Anthy changed from something selfish and egotistical to something more selfless and understanding.  While there were moments of pettiness and resentment on both ends, Utena eventually tried to move past it to enter the final battle...and the infamous betrayal.   Despite everything Anthy had done, Utena found the strength of will to go on, not to save herself but to save the girl who stabbed her in the back, literally and figuratively.

It's this love that causes Anthy to abandon her hatred of the world and move on with her life.  However, Utena and Anthy aren't the only ones who have grown.  All of the Student Council members and most of the other major characters have gotten over their own baggage and bad habits by the end of the series, except for Akio...who is too stubborn and prideful to abandon his own sins.  Furthermore, his lifestyle prevents him from living a truly fulfilling life (think about it: at the end of the series, he is literally the classic adult who's still trapped in high school).  While I don't think it's the intended moral, one thing a person can get from Utena is that redemption is available to all who accept it, something that fits in with the practical theology of modern Christianity.

Last edited by Nebula (06-11-2011 12:59:40 AM)

#16 | Back to Top06-11-2011 06:42:22 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

I think both Nebula and YostinAust have made good points. It's pity that there isn't a scan in the archives of manga Utena turning into an angel. Utena as Christ is a slightly awkward fit but Anthy as humankind works well and Akio as Lucifer works well too.  If Utena is Christ then it's fitting that she can do direct battle with him but Anthy wins by turning her back on him.

#17 | Back to Top06-23-2011 03:09:01 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

The final episode can be an allegory for the death and ressurection of Christ. Where Jesus/Utena goes humanity/Anthy can not follow unless we better ourselves. Anthy has to look for Utena like we have to look for Jesus.

NajiMinkin wrote:

Shadow Girls = reporters/dancing girls during "Superstar" number

I was reminded of the shadow girls during that number too!

Last edited by Riri-kins (06-23-2011 03:12:29 PM)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#18 | Back to Top06-23-2011 11:07:31 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

Utena reminds me a lot of a Dostoevsky holy fool, which he uses as his modern Christ-like figures.  She's incredibly naive and good-intentioned to the point of apparent stupidity, just like Mishkin in The Idiot.  The forum has a thread on her being a holy fool like Quixote, but I think Mishkin, or even Alyosha, is more appropriate in this context.

As for Anthy, Lilith anyone?  She isn't accepted as canonical, but she was supposedly the first, imperfect wife of Adam who refused to obey him.  She acts independently of Dios, winning the wrath of God (or, I suppose, many swords).  In that sense, the duels become an attempt at taming her, and Utena is a bit more like Eve, designed to be obedient and a perfect bride for Akio.

But, eh.  Shot in the dark.

Last edited by KaleMarsh (06-23-2011 11:09:01 PM)

#19 | Back to Top06-24-2011 12:02:34 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

KaleMarsh wrote:

Utena reminds me a lot of a Dostoevsky holy fool, which he uses as his modern Christ-like figures.  She's incredibly naive and good-intentioned to the point of apparent stupidity, just like Mishkin in The Idiot.  The forum has a thread on her being a holy fool like Quixote, but I think Mishkin, or even Alyosha, is more appropriate in this context.

I haven't read The Idiot, but I love Karamazov.  I see what you're getting at with Alyosha -- certainly he is more like Utena than like any other SKU character, and vice versa -- but the comparison seems a little too charitable to our heroine.  To put it indelicately, Alyosha is not dumb.  He knows the soup he's swimming in; he doesn't expect his relatives to be trustworthy or kind.  If anything, he expects the opposite, though in the nicest and most forgiving possible way.  So he's happy to encourage the people around him towards kindness, but he's also not particularly shocked to see them treat each other like shit or to find himself used.   If anything, he's more Christlike than Christ is.  Utena is not that.  She honestly thinks, to the extent that she thinks at all, that the people around her are nice folks with no ulterior motives.  She gets surprised a lot.  If she's meant to be like Christ or Alyosha, I fear she should show a little more realism about her relationships.  :\

Now, is she a heroic figure?  Definitely!  Just not in Jesus's mold.  Pip's, maybe, or Nite Owl's.  She is a black-and-white thinker living in a world of shades of gray.  Jesus and Alyosha are just the opposite: exquisitely comfortable in grayscale, able to accept and understand people on their own terms who even the reader is ready to call evil.  Utena just forgives them and puts them back on her "nice" list without particularly trying to understand -- until the last few episodes, when she finally seems ready to accept Anthy's inner complications rather than avoiding them.  SKU is a coming-of-age story, not a story about a fool who starts wise and stays wise.

My two cents emot-smile

#20 | Back to Top06-24-2011 12:13:23 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

I think you make valid points about Alyosha (especially mid to late book Alyosha), which is why Mishkin is probably a more apt comparison.  He is quite blind to ulterior motives.  Even when he sees them, he is forgiving.

Dostoevsky might pit Utena as a Christ-like figure.  He would argue that to be like Christ, in this day, would seem quite naive.  This, however, is meant to point out the faults of surrounding characters rather than Mishkin's faults. 

In the case of SKU, I think Utena is more will-fully, or even selfishly, naive than Mishkin or Alyosha.  She's happy seeing the things the way she does and casting herself in the role of the righteous prince when she doesn't belong there.  In other words, no.  Not Christ.  But I can see her as SKU's response to Dostoevsky's naive Christ.  This is perhaps more interesting.

(Also, read The Idiot.  I like it better than Karamazov.)

Last edited by KaleMarsh (06-24-2011 12:15:35 AM)

#21 | Back to Top06-24-2011 12:28:33 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

KaleMarsh wrote:

In the case of SKU, I think Utena is more will-fully, or even selfishly, naive than Mishkin or Alyosha.  She's happy seeing the things the way she does and casting herself in the role of the righteous prince when she doesn't belong there.  In other words, no.  Not Christ.  But I can see her as SKU's response to Dostoevsky's naive Christ.  This is perhaps more interesting.

Yeah!  Yeah, yeah!  That makes much more sense.  Utena is not Christ; she's a naive and somewhat self-absorbed teenage girl trying to be Christ (or a prince, to use the show's vocabulary).  That makes her a much more obviously realistic character.  emot-biggrin  And, I add as an afterthought, more relatable.

(Also, read The Idiot.  I like it better than Karamazov.)

I will take this advice.  emot-smile  Translation recommendations?

Last edited by satyreyes (06-24-2011 12:32:21 AM)

#22 | Back to Top06-24-2011 10:48:40 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

I read the Myers translation, which I enjoyed, but I have been told that Pevear and Volokhonsky do a really nice, or even the best, job with their Dostoevsky work.

#23 | Back to Top03-09-2012 07:36:45 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Utena is very much a Christ figure, displaying love and sacrifice even after the perpetration of the ultimate sin. She sacrifices herself to liberate Anthy (read: Humanity) from eternal torment. She is killed as a result, but comes back to life.

#24 | Back to Top03-11-2012 05:04:54 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

One way to view the Bible as a whole is as a succession of false utopias after Mankind's expulsion from Eden. First you have brotherhood, represented by Cain and Abel, which is destroyed by jealousy. Then you have the time of great men and heroes, which is destroyed by a flood due to its wickedness. Then you have technocracy and empire, represented by the Tower of Babel. Basically, Man must go out into the world and toil and consume because he is imperfect, which is why the lame, nomadic shepharding society of the Jews is favored over all those more badass social paradigms.

You could see Ohtori Academy, the representation of the archetypal Upper Class School from shoujo, as another one of these false utopias, one that combines all of these false utopias into one piece. You have Touga and Saionji representing brotherhood and jealousy, the Seitokai as a whole representing the time of heroes, and Mikage Souji representing technocracy. Brotherhood fails because of inevitable inequality, the Nietzschean paradigm implodes because the ubermenschen inevitably compete with each other and destroy the very populace on which they depend, and technocracy fails because the simple logic on which it is based will inevitably come into conflict with reality. In the case of Babel, it fell apart because the people ended up speaking different languages, representing the inevitable degradation of language and decomposition of meaning that any society built on knowledge and innovation will face, and Mikage Souji fell apart because he faced a problem that he could not solve and a factor that he could not understand or control, the human libido.

The New Testament represents a refutation of even the shepharding society of the Jews; it is a statement that people must be free, free of simpleminded social protocols and modes of organization. It is an acknowledgment that nothing that Man creates is perfect, that he must continuously adapt in order to survive.

You could see Anthy's leaving Ohtori Academy as a refutation of shounen anime ethics (idealism, ambition, competition, authority, opposition between ideas) and the embrace of shoujou anime ethics, ethics that value people and social harmony over moral absolutes and the pursuit of maximums. I remember reading somewhere that a lot of shoujou anime from the 70's involved a young girl going to Europe or America in search of a family member, that's pretty much the ending of Utena.

Hmmm... Maybe Utena/Akio/Anthy can be seen to represent Nietzsche's 3 stages of human development. Utena can be the Camel, one who seeks great burdens precisely because they are great. Akio can be seen as the Lion, one who seeks to destroy all moral precepts. Anthy can be the Child, a being who is free of preconceptions of right and wrong, great and small.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (03-11-2012 05:31:54 PM)

#25 | Back to Top03-12-2012 08:12:15 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

While there are a lot of religious elements in Utena, I personally think that Christianity is not a particularly big one. The traditional tarot deck and perhaps particular Hindu gods are by far and away the most likely culprits, imho. I think that any apparently overt Christian religious motif can be adequately explained by the way that certain themes are common in many/most religions, particularly the eastern ones.

Board footer