This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top07-15-2008 07:31:36 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Re: Random Utena Questions? Possible Analysis and or Anwsers...

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I just wanted to note real quick that when Anthy steps out of the cabin to confront the villagers in 'Tale of the Rose', they fall into a confused silence with murmurs of, "Who is that?"  They don't know her prior to that moment of confrontation.

You could build an interesting story about Dios and Anthy before his fall...were they actually brother and sister in the sense that we're used to? Dios lived a very public life it's safe to assume, so why would the crowd not have known who Anthy was? Did he hide her away from scrutiny? Did she hide herself away from scrutiny? Is she perhaps much much younger than he is? Or, here's a more interesting thought, much much older? In a more prosaic vein, are they step-siblings? Anybody?

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#27 | Back to Top07-16-2008 10:29:47 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I've actually entertained the notion that Anthy didn't actually exist until Dios "needed" her.  That, somewhat like in the manga when Akio splits himself off from Dios and "kills" Dios, Anthy manifested from Dios to act as a scapegoat in his moment of weakness.  I've never mentioned it because I don't think it works very well as an explanation.

I think it's more likely that no one ever noticed Anthy prior to her acting publicly as a Witch.  Everyone was obsessed with and fulfilled by Dios, and Anthy was essentially invisible, a complete non-entity.  I think that supports and informs some elements of her personality.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#28 | Back to Top07-23-2008 07:07:43 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

I just re-watched a couple episodes and I have a question about what went on in episode 9.

Ok so it seems that Touga set up the the tipoff about Anthy being kidnapped and taken to the dueling arena. Also in all probability he was the one who sent Saionji the false letter as well. So was he the one who knocked out Saionji left him in the water face down and then set anthy up in the dueling arena ? (Damn Saionji with friends like that who needs foes)

Also why did he not take the Exchange diary with him and keep writing in it. Because it seems that he was more interested in it then anthy; and besides what girl would not want to hear about how much you miss her all damn day emot-rolleyes

Also if the girl in the coffin is indeed Utena (she had better be for my sanity) and Touga found her and talked her out of that coffin somehow emot-confused .Then I think that this leads credence to the theory Akio and Anthy have power/influence on events that take place outside the school grounds if they so choose.  But that works if and only if Touga talked Utena out of her coffin like Saionji suspects.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#29 | Back to Top07-23-2008 09:20:28 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I was just talking to Rhyaniwyn about this...I'm still not sure what happened to Saionji, but later events in the show make it pretty clear that it wasn't Touga that talked her out of the coffin.

-Truck North

#30 | Back to Top07-24-2008 01:15:29 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I always assumed (or maybe just liked to think) that Anthy was the one who knocked Saionji out. If Anthy truly didn't wish to go there, Touga wouldn't have any more ability to force her than Saionji would. And since Saionji was going to take her to the arena to begin with, why would Touga dirty his hands with fisticuffs to achieve the same goal?

As for the exchange diary... good question. Maybe he thought Touga would get Anthy to write in it for him? If he couldn't ask Anthy directly for some reason.

Touga definitely didn't talk Utena out of her coffin, literally or metaphorically.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#31 | Back to Top07-24-2008 07:48:49 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I always figured he gave the exchange diary to Touga as a half-ass way of destroying it. (Touga finished that part for him.) But he realized he was leaving behind that life, and that writing to Anthy would accomplish nothing towards obtaining her when he hasn't the power to fight for her. I always figured it was kinda like 'Well now what do I do with this?'

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#32 | Back to Top07-25-2008 04:34:24 PM

dabouse1
Touga Topper

I think that maybe this cigar really is just a cigar, but it's something that has always pricked at me: Does Anthy really need those glasses? At the end of the series, I assumed that she was wearing contacts. If I were to stretch and think that it may be symbolic, I'd say that she doesn't need a handicap for seeing anymore, because Utena opened her eyes to the real world.

But really, no one has wondered? emot-tongue

Also, at the end of episode 26, where Miki sees "the End of the World" and duels Utena again with Kozue as his rose bride, Kozue calls Miki a coward. I was confused when i first saw that, and I'm not sure why she said that. Anyone knows?

#33 | Back to Top07-25-2008 05:49:20 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

dabouse1 wrote:

I think that maybe this cigar really is just a cigar, but it's something that has always pricked at me: Does Anthy really need those glasses? At the end of the series, I assumed that she was wearing contacts. If I were to stretch and think that it may be symbolic, I'd say that she doesn't need a handicap for seeing anymore, because Utena opened her eyes to the real world.

But really, no one has wondered? emot-tongue

Actually, one of us covered that situation, along with unbinding her hair and Chu Chu taking off his own accouterments. Don't remember where, though. You'd have to dig.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#34 | Back to Top07-25-2008 06:26:44 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

dabouse1 wrote:

I have. In the preview of the body-changing curry episode, Anthy does comment how nice it is to see without glasses, but that isn't exactly canon. 
Perhaps she doesn't see well while she is under Ohtori's influence and bound to her brother and the million blades, but once she becomes free, her sight clears once again...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#35 | Back to Top07-25-2008 06:45:31 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Or the glasses are just her mask, one that she dons or doffs at will.

#36 | Back to Top07-25-2008 06:49:06 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

When I was younger, I used to think that Akio had her wear such huge glasses and wrap up her long hair so she wouldn't seem as attractive... y'know, to avoid people outside the duelling games macking on her. But now, I realize that it is a silly thought, since she still has Miki drooling over her for reasons beyond her role. Plus, under the assumption that Akio controls the students as-is, it really wouldn't be much of a concern in the first place.

(Sometimes I still think that in the back of my mind. But I know it probably had deeper symbolic meaning.)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#37 | Back to Top07-25-2008 07:10:29 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

As they say, it's always the quiet ones....

school-devil

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#38 | Back to Top07-25-2008 07:26:13 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

dabouse1 wrote:

Also, at the end of episode 26, where Miki sees "the End of the World" and duels Utena again with Kozue as his rose bride, Kozue calls Miki a coward. I was confused when i first saw that, and I'm not sure why she said that. Anyone knows?

This is one that has always troubled me. The way I see it, Kozue idolizes and worships her brother, while devaluing herself. So why would she call him a coward? It could be that she's never actually seen him fail before for one thing. It's also possible that she views his failure as brought on by his refusal to "become dirty". In other words, his prudishness about sex made her putting the moves on Anthy too distracting, and thus he lost. It is interesting to note that Miki lost this duel due to external factors. It wasn't a clear cut "Utena is better" kind of thing, or even the power of Dios, he just lost his concentration. Anybody else have any thoughts, I'd love to hear more about this one.

-Truck North

#39 | Back to Top07-27-2008 05:29:02 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

dabouse1 wrote:

This is one that has always troubled me. The way I see it, Kozue idolizes and worships her brother, while devaluing herself. So why would she call him a coward? It could be that she's never actually seen him fail before for one thing. It's also possible that she views his failure as brought on by his refusal to "become dirty". In other words, his prudishness about sex made her putting the moves on Anthy too distracting, and thus he lost. It is interesting to note that Miki lost this duel due to external factors. It wasn't a clear cut "Utena is better" kind of thing, or even the power of Dios, he just lost his concentration. Anybody else have any thoughts, I'd love to hear more about this one.

Without rewatching, I agree with you -- she calls him a coward because he refuses to see the darker aspects of his own character. He won't face up to the fact that he can be as "dirty" as Kozue has become, and at her heart Kozue seems to believe that is what is required to gain your true desires. It's a twisted logic, and twisted love besides. She does actually want him to be happy. She just doesn't believe he can be happy and still maintain this pretty vision of the world. Kozue has rejected that sunny garden, and thinks Miki is a coward for not doing the same. He's afraid of the adult world, so to speak, whereas by projecting her sexuality onto him Kozue has made the adult world more appealing to herself because she can still maintain an exclusive relationship with her brother in it. If that makes sense. It's late, and I am tired. emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#40 | Back to Top07-27-2008 07:43:46 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I'm gonna give this question a shot and start on my rambling. Ask me if you're confused by anything I say.

When I see that episode, I was thinking that Miki was called a coward for the similar reason. He'd rather remain in his own contrived world of the Sunny Garden than to see that Anthy is anything but a sweet angel.
This also reminded me of what the Shadow Girls did on Episode 4, where the guy leaves B-ko (is it B-ko?) because B-ko likes garlic and boxing. The snails and mongoose and giant octopus balloon didn't faze Miki because none of them has hit him where it hurts (Those are for Nanami, anyway). I remember in Episode 5, he said he doesn't want to see Kozue (I don't remember, he said something like that when Kozue comes out of the music room) because Kozue is no longer the innocent, shining thing that Miki sought, that little girl who played the piano with him.
When Kozue was making out with Anthy, I think what shocked Miki was not only what Kozue was doing to Anthy, but Anthy's response. She pulled the handle and lowered the seat herself. I think the cowardice can also lie in the fact that Miki can't accept a person when he recognizes a flaw which he considers to be "unforgivable" (for the lack of better vocabulary). In short, yeah, he doesn't have the courage to take in something that's impure (Remember his decision to switch to Utena toward the end of the story).

#41 | Back to Top07-27-2008 09:27:40 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I think one of Miki's biggest faults, and the reason he is ever the duelist, never the Prince, is that good intentions are just that, good intentions.  They mean well, but by themselves or without any of the willpower or wisdom in which to act upon them, they acheive nothing. Miki wants to do good, and to help, but only if he can stay in his own comfort zone while he does it.  Touga and Akio convince him to act on his intentions instead of remaining passive, and they succeed.  At the same time Kozue tries to get him to leave his comfort zone, but fails.

Miki wants to protect the princesses, but he won't fight any dragons.

#42 | Back to Top07-27-2008 10:46:07 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

That sounds perfect to me. He knows being the prince is the 'right' thing to do, but he (reasonably enough) isn't willing to make the sacrifice necessary to fill that role. He seems to realize he's lacking in that basic will to action, and he has a lot of guilt issues, so it's hardly no surprise. Dios wanted to do the right thing and was willing to pay the price. Akio doesn't give a shit so he's not willing. Miki's a nice addition to the options. He wants to do the right thing, but in the end, he does damage, perhaps more so because he refuses to see things the way they really are. He has the lack of motivation but not the justification for it. If you were to ask the show, there is no justification for it, so Kozue's right--he's a coward.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#43 | Back to Top07-27-2008 10:50:14 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

That's pretty much what Dios is doing, too. He won't block the swords for Anthy. And, he's also a Prince.
But at least Dios is willing to see things as they are while Miki prefers to be blindfolded.

Last edited by Hiraku (07-27-2008 10:51:55 PM)

#44 | Back to Top07-29-2008 01:48:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Actually I wonder about that. Did Dios want quite so much to save Anthy? Dios did something that fell him. Could he have saved his sister then? Did he realize he could? Or does Dios' high moral character only extend to the role he plays saving princesses?

I'm not sure what I'm getting at here, except that it seems odd. Dios saved Princesses, not poor people, sick people, but Princesses. He chose a certain group that seems suspiciously like the one that would gain him the most status. When Anthy faces the mob, it's not Princesses that want his blood though, it's their mothers, fathers, friends. The people that should be doing the saving themselves, but are helpless without Dios. Maybe that was Dios' blindfold. He refused to see people as capable of helping themselves and others, and so by acting that way, he created his own presumption. By this you could say Akio does nothing more than pick at the wound already put there by Dios' blindfolded good intentions--he does seem to favor manipulating the not-Princesses, ignoring as best he can the one pretty obvious representation of one: his fiancee.

Dios is so easily taken as purely good that I'm quite determined to prove he's not. emot-keke

#45 | Back to Top07-30-2008 04:25:37 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

"Touga & the Coffin"
The series pretty explicitly states that Touga didn't talk Utena out of the coffin.  In the flashbacks, he listened to what she had to say...pretty gravely and impassively for someone of his age.  He didn't try to argue with her, he accepted her decision.  Pretty respectful, I think (well, or indifferent).  He also seemed to grasp her despair...insightful, again, for someone of his age.  Supports my thoughts that Touga has some bad memories of his life before adoption that Nanami doesn't because she was still a baby.  But I digress.

"Saionji Drowning"
I couldn't answer Stormcrow when we talked about how in the world Saionji ended up there.  I'll tell you that I was of the opinion that he hadn't been there very long before Utena showed up.  Frankly I don't think that Anthy did it... Touga may have, he's ruthless enough.  But I just haven't decided yet...I actually tend to favor the idea (even as I think it's kind of dumb) that the arena did it.  That the entrance rejected him.  Which could ultimately mean Akio did it--and Akio was obviously supporting Touga's scheme, even if Touga didn't realize how much, because the projector was supporting Touga's scheme (and testing Utena with loaded imagery at the same time).  The idea suited Akio, gave him a chance to explore curiosity about Utena.

"Coward"
I agree with the spirit of why Kozue called Miki a coward.  He's a coward who is, ultimately, afraid to truly act to grasp what he wants.  Can't you see his "distraction" in both duels as an excuse: "I got distracted this time, but next time!"  I'd call Miki a coward for several reasons, but I think Kozue is referring to his inability to really do what it takes to win.  To her, this may mean getting dirty, or truly committing, or staying focused.  Kozue may think she herself is dirty and that Miki is perfect, but I don't think she would view encouraging Miki "fight dirty" as dragging him down or corrupting him--I think her admiration of him may be pathological in that way--Miki is the "good twin," no matter what he does.

"Dios"
I think I agree that there's more to Dios...or I have a similar urge to undermine his perfect image. ;-)  But one thing the series states is that Dios made all the girls in the world Princesses.  So it's not like it's class-based discrimination on his part.  Unless that's an exaggeration that really means "all the important girls, anyway", even poor girls would be eligible.  Every girl except Anthy would be eligible, from what we're told.

However, I think what you said still has application--because he's gaining almost universal admiration from the opposite sex, nonetheless!  And gratitude from their families.  So he's certainly getting a lot out of it, status particularly.  (I love being admired...especially by people of the gender I'm attracted to.  And there's that tradition of 'notches on the bedpost'...maybe there's not so much difference between Dios and Akio when all is said and done.)

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (07-30-2008 04:28:04 PM)

#46 | Back to Top07-30-2008 07:03:27 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

rhyaniwyn wrote:

"Touga & the Coffin"
He didn't try to argue with her, he accepted her decision.  Pretty respectful, I think (well, or indifferent).

He may have been just as flummoxed but better able to wear a poker face. Utena's plight might have fueled his own desire to grasp eternity.

rhyaniwyn wrote:

"Saionji Drowning"

The simplest answer is that Akio clubbed him over the head, or perhaps spiked his drink. emot-rolleyes After all we do see  Akio on the phone.

rhyaniwyn wrote:

"Coward"

They are trying to restore the baby birds at that moment and working together. That's a lot like real life, people can work together to a common end to reach a worthy goal and still bicker and even hate each other at the same time.

rhyaniwyn wrote:

"Dios"

Or maybe it's just a case of the cobbler's children going unshod.

Last edited by brian (07-30-2008 07:10:58 PM)

#47 | Back to Top07-31-2008 09:02:36 PM

dabouse1
Touga Topper

Giovanna wrote:

Actually I wonder about that. Did Dios want quite so much to save Anthy? Dios did something that fell him. Could he have saved his sister then? Did he realize he could? Or does Dios' high moral character only extend to the role he plays saving princesses?

I'm not sure what I'm getting at here, except that it seems odd. Dios saved Princesses, not poor people, sick people, but Princesses. He chose a certain group that seems suspiciously like the one that would gain him the most status. When Anthy faces the mob, it's not Princesses that want his blood though, it's their mothers, fathers, friends. The people that should be doing the saving themselves, but are helpless without Dios. Maybe that was Dios' blindfold. He refused to see people as capable of helping themselves and others, and so by acting that way, he created his own presumption. By this you could say Akio does nothing more than pick at the wound already put there by Dios' blindfolded good intentions--he does seem to favor manipulating the not-Princesses, ignoring as best he can the one pretty obvious representation of one: his fiancee.

Dios is so easily taken as purely good that I'm quite determined to prove he's not. emot-keke

I always thought that it was Dios who purposefully sent Utena to eventually help Anthy, but I never understood the reason why.  My first guess was what you said, about Dios blindfolding himself to seeing that "people that should be doing the saving themselves, but are helpless without Dios."  One of my interpretations of Utena was that the whole thing about Dios saving the day was a major theme, at least at the end.  Maybe this belongs on the religion-y thread, but I think it's relevent here.  Dios was supposed to symbolize what some people think about God, that he'll just suddenly come to the rescue like a prince on a white horse.  But the truth is, that's not how it's supposed to be, and Dios learned that when Anthy was attacked by the mob.  So before he "died," or became/was seperated from Akio, he tried a different approach, because he was upset about what happened to Anthy and was probably ashamed.

Then again, this view has...plotholes.  Like why the hell no one knew about Anthy -- unless she symbolized the idea that people shouldn't depend on Dios so...literally (for lack of a better word), and people just didn't realize that yet.  And I'm also pretty sketchy about why Dios was only saving women.  My first assumption would be another Christian-metaphor: that God and the Church (which, yes, includes both sexes) are like husband and wife.  But it's just a guess.

I'm sorry if I didn't degrade Dios like you wanted.  I really want to, and I kind of tried! emot-biggrin  If it's any consolation, I was very doubtful and suspicious of Dios when he was seen with Akio as Utena was painfully walking towards Anthy's coffin at the final episode.  They both looked pretty chill. emot-rolleyes

#48 | Back to Top08-01-2008 12:59:09 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Here's a random question, relating to one of those things that, looking back, I never completely understood. The last line in episode 34...

"I watched your face while you slept. Who are you, really?"

God, that scene still makes my skin crawl. So, what did Anthy mean?

#49 | Back to Top08-01-2008 06:56:14 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

It seems to me that in this part of the show Anthy is becoming more and more aware of her feelings for Utena, and more uncomfortable with them. It may be that she's never cared so much about anyone but her brother, and doesn't understand why or what it means. Plus, she doesn't really trust Utena, not yet. In that episode, she's recently given into Akio's charms, which I suspect was at least a disappointment to Anthy, apart from any feeling of betrayal she may have. So she doesn't know what to make of her, and I think she's a little scared, which isn't something she's used to.

-Truck North

#50 | Back to Top08-01-2008 09:32:32 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

It is also definitely implying that Anthy has a vague memory of seeing Utena when they were children.  Anthy says that in our big "history reveal" episode, that gives us explanations for how Anthy became the Rose Bride, how Dios became Akio, what exactly earned Anthy the title of 'Witch', and how Utena really got that ring.  She says it right after Utena wakes up from a dream in which she "saw a familiar landscape" that she really "can't remember".  And what Utena seems to have been dreaming of was the day Dios came to her in the coffin and showed her Anthy.  When Utena resolves to become a Prince, Anthy briefly opens her eyes and looks at Utena.  Both of them have since forgotten it.  The events that were set in motion that moment are coming to a head.  It's like Anthy is saying...you look familiar to me, but you're just a pawn in our game, so why?  That she felt the need to ask speaks to the fact that Anthy realizes that Utena feels like someone important to Anthy, but she isn't comfortable with that idea.

Board footer