This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-25-2006 08:38:07 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Favourite anime thread

Awwright, I didn't see one and after looking at the favourite Anime/Manga artist threads it seeems like that's not what's going on there. I'm surprised it's not here yet.

So what are your all-time favourite animes? I'm interested in seeing what other SKU fans are into.

In no particular order:
SKU, of course.
Read Or Die (You guys totally didn't see me slip this one on in on the sly)
Big O
Le Portrait de Petite Cossette
Now and Then, Here and There
Metropolis
Key the Metal Idol
Perfect Blue
Petshop of Horrors (Better than the manga 4evr)

Special Mention:
Simoun and Jigoku Shoujo debuted this year, and I'm going to wait to call them favourites, but I like them a loooooooooot.

Last edited by Hinotori (10-25-2006 11:04:42 PM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#2 | Back to Top10-25-2006 08:46:12 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Re: Favourite anime thread

I'll play! I like mostly science fiction/giant robot stuff.

Macross etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love (my favorite show of ALL TIME - all incarnations of it, though my absolute favorite is Macross 7. If you've seen Robotech, the first season of that is Macross, dubbed)
Fushigi Yuugi
Utena
Gundam (my favorite is Gundam X but I also like Wing and some others. I haven't seen Seed yet)
Initial D
Escaflowne
Cowboy Bebop

For manga, I like Touch, and of course the Tokyo Babylon series. I never got into X. It was too long and the plot went away after the first couple of volumes...

Have any of you seen the Nana movie? It is amazing. I haven't read the manga though.

Last edited by Ger (10-25-2006 08:47:23 PM)

#3 | Back to Top10-25-2006 08:48:08 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Let's see.... after Utena:

Figure 17 (would be #1 if not for Utena)
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiments Lain
NieA_7
(Texhnolyze ... currently watching for the first time, but ABe's involvement means it charts by default emot-biggrin )
Gunslinger Girl
Angelic Layer
Cardcaptor Sakura
Vision of Escaflowne
Witch Hunter Robin
Oh My Goddess
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
anything by Studio Ghibli

...and for anyone who's curious about what my entire collection contains: Lookie Here!

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (10-25-2006 08:55:50 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#4 | Back to Top10-25-2006 09:17:03 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

My absolute favourites right now are of course, Utena, and Fullmetal Alchemist. Way different, I know. I just adore Ed and Al.
Next would be Princess Tutu. etc-love And Neon Genesis Evangelion. I dabble in some Ludwig, Death Note, Angel Sanctuary, etc. Slayers and Fruits Basket are my old favourites but it's been a while. I really need to find some other things to check out. D:

#5 | Back to Top10-25-2006 11:16:17 PM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

My favorite anime, in order:
1. Shoujo Kakumei Utena
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. AIR (also known as AIR TV)
4. Haibane Renmei
5. Serial Experiments Lain
6. Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex
7. Pet Shop of Horrors

My favorite manga, in order:
1. Pet Shop of Horrors (better than the anime)
2. Adolescence of Utena
3. the ringu manga: Ring, Ring 2, Spiral, Birthday, Ring 0 Birthday
4. The Enigma of Amigara Fault (so fucking creeeepy!)
5. The Demon Ororon

And the BURNING HATRED list, because I hate these so much I feel the need to scream it to the world: Inuyasha, DBZ, DBGT, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho emot-gonk

WARNING: Rabid fangirl and well of useless trivia; wielder of endless random theories; pervy fancier of all things Anthy and/or Chigusa.
-I have the honor of playing Tenjou Utena on LJ's wonderful UTENA_RPG.-

#6 | Back to Top10-25-2006 11:52:31 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Slayers, Utena, Vision of Escaflowne and Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon. Yes, I like Sailormoon. You may laugh at me now.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#7 | Back to Top10-25-2006 11:59:09 PM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Slayers, Utena, Vision of Escaflowne and Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon. Yes, I like Sailormoon. You may laugh at me now.

I don't like it very much anymore, but Sailor Moon was pretty much my intro to the world of anime (that, and Dragonball)...so I don't see any reason to laugh.

WARNING: Rabid fangirl and well of useless trivia; wielder of endless random theories; pervy fancier of all things Anthy and/or Chigusa.

#8 | Back to Top10-26-2006 12:03:40 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Dragonball was cute. DBZ is another story entirely.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#9 | Back to Top10-26-2006 12:10:03 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Haha, nothing wrong with Sailormoon. It didn't have much rewatch value for me, so I kind of consider it nostalgia. o; But the nostalgia is delicious. The ending made my 14 year old self cry.

Rosemary Bats: Mentioning two of my favourite manga (4 and 5) pretty much garantees attacking on the Petshop of Horrors thing. It could be that I have a hard time with shonen-ai and CLAMP (a whole other story there, but I'd rather not make any enemies in my first 10 posts) but I have a -really- hard time liking the manga. I cooulld be missing something, but out of curiosity, what made you like it?

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#10 | Back to Top10-26-2006 12:16:23 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

SKU as favorite, of course. Other anime I still like (I kinda got out of it after watching SKU):

GTO
Escaflowne
serial experiments lain (this only got knocked out of top spot because of SKU)
Trigun
Millennium Actress
Perfect Blue
Rurouni Kenshin
Saber Marionette J
Outlaw Star
Ranma 1/2
Dragon Half

I think that's about it, really. Neon Genesis Evangelion never hooked me the way any of those did, although I'd enjoy it if I watched it again. Same with Cowboy Bebop. Most of the rest was forgettable. I stopped watching most anime because it all started to seem forgettable after a while.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#11 | Back to Top10-26-2006 07:25:18 AM

Melusina
Wakaba Wrangler

Favorites. . .hmm. Let me see.

Escaflowne
Trigun
Witch Hunter Robin
Fruits Basket
Hellsing
Gravitation (I never said I wasn't a sucker for adorable things. Although it does look weird paired with Hellsing)
Victorian Romance Emma
Read or Die

#12 | Back to Top10-26-2006 08:16:59 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Some of the anime series that I liked:

Slayers, Slayers Next and Slayers Try (I like all the characters but my favorite has gotta be Prince Phil the violent pacifist)

Love Hina (One of the best examples of a harem series around)

Chobits (Its didn't really live up to its potential but I like it none the less...I want my very own Sumomo emot-keke)

Evangelion (Its dark, full of disturbed people, the mecha needs extention cords to work and Gendo Fetushands is both a good guy and a villain...cool)

Cheeky Angel (A story of a boy who was turned into a girl before puberty and her desire to become a man amongst men)

Ouran Host Club (A reverse harem series involving a flat-chested girl who doesnt care about her feminity forced to work as a boy in an upmarket host club)

Princess Princess (A boy goes to an all boys school and finds that he his chosen to be a 'school princess' for a whole year...yaoi scented)

Rune Soldier Louie (D&D type adventure with a priestess forced to serve a 'hero' who turns out to be a dimwit magician who prefers to fight with his fists)

School Rumble (Wacky highschool hijinks with Love triangles all about, mostly centred around a trouble-maker and a ditzy girl)

#13 | Back to Top10-26-2006 09:09:21 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I haven't seen much anime but here's my list anyway.

1. Utena (naturally)
2. Azumanga Daioh!
3. Perfect Blue
4. X/1999
5. Rose of Versailles
6. Miyzaki's work etc-love (Especiall "Nausicaä" and "Princess Mononoke")

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#14 | Back to Top10-26-2006 10:59:35 AM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Wow, I love everyone's list, gosh I hope mine has some good ones that ppl like as well:

In no specific order:

1. Paranoia Agent
2. Revolutionary Girl Utena
3. Ghost In The Shell: Both of the latest Series.
4. Noir
5. Macross, yes including the first 65 episodes of Robotech.
6. FLCL
7. Neon Genesis Evangelion
8. Excel Saga (OMG if you love Madtv and SNL you'll love it)
9. Mai-Hime
10. Genskishen, or whatever it's called. If you are in college then this totally reflects who you are if you watch anime.

Akio..and James Brown(R.I.P.) have two things in common:
1)They are sex machines...
2)They are the only ones that could possibly make jumping over the windshield of a car look effortless..

#15 | Back to Top10-26-2006 03:35:45 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Tamago wrote:

Chobits (Its didn't really live up to its potential but I like it none the less...I want my very own Sumomo emot-keke)

Wow, I'm not the only one in the world who likes Sumomo!  I too want my own. A lot of people seem to think she's annoying, but that's ok... more hyperactive persocom fun for me! emot-dance

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#16 | Back to Top10-26-2006 03:43:49 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

1) Utena, obviously.
2) One Piece.
3) Read or Die.
4) Azumanga Daioh.

Honorable mentions: Karin, Rozen Maiden and Lain.

My favourite mangas are Fruits Basket, One Piece [again >_>] and Bleach.

#17 | Back to Top10-26-2006 03:46:53 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hina the Prince wrote:

2) One Piece.

Hina the Prince wrote:

My favourite mangas are Fruits Basket, One Piece [again >_>] and Bleach.

My brother said this was really good, and he's usually right. Maybe I'll work up to watching it someday.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#18 | Back to Top10-26-2006 03:51:24 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Yasha wrote:

My brother said this was really good, and he's usually right. Maybe I'll work up to watching it someday.

You so should! It's awesome. And in the arc I'm currently watching, God is Eminem. Man, I love this series. etc-love

#19 | Back to Top10-26-2006 05:02:10 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Mmm...favorites lists.  I just love them.  Anyway, I'll go with my top 15.  No real reason, I just want to.  Oh yeah, these only include series that I've seen in their entirety, and all were viewed in Japanese with English subtitles.  And in order we have:

1. Revolutionary Girl Utena (nothing is even close to this...at all)
2. .hack//SIGN (although I admit this one might move down once I rewatch it)
3. Noir (same for this one)
4. Millenium Actress (one of the best movies I've ever seen)
5. Air
6. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (I find there is plenty of rewatch value for me...and the characters are fun to play with)
7. Azumanga Daioh (I've even watched a couple of dubbed episodes and thought those were suprisingly good)
8. Gunslinger Girl
9. Haibane Renmei
10. Rozen Maiden (will probably move down eventually, but it was quite fun and I watched it fairly recently)
11. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (will definitely move down with a rewatch and deeper consideration)
12. R.O.D. the TV
13. Magic Knight Rayearth
14. Ouran High School Host Club
15. Trigun

Honorable mentions:
Rose of Versailles
Scrapped Princess
Voices of a Distant Star

NANA will likely head into my top 10 when I finish it.  I like that show way more than I probably should.  Princess Tutu will likely make it into the top 5 once I finish it.  It's too wonderful not to love.  Candy Candy might make an honorable mention, just because I love classics entirely too much.  ^_-  I'm looking forward to watching Brother, Dear Brother.

#20 | Back to Top10-26-2006 08:00:19 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Tamago wrote:

Wow, I'm not the only one in the world who likes Sumomo!  I too want my own. A lot of people seem to think she's annoying, but that's ok... more hyperactive persocom fun for me! emot-dance

After all everyone needs their daily dose of genki-ness! emot-biggrin

oOoOoOoOoOo

Here are more of my favourites!

Azumanga Daioh! (Seeing Yukari drive reminds me of Misato from NGE and Seta for Love Hina.  I can imagine the carnage that would result if those 3 were ever on the road at the same time)

Naruto (Any show that can feature boys turning into hot looking naked girls and yet still be shown during the afternoon slots on CN is alright with me)

GTO (If only I had teachers like him at my school BWHAHAHAHA!)

ROD the TV (Proves once and for all that Paper > Pen > Sword)

Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses ( Urd, Skuld and Belldandy in miniture mode how they make poor Ran-chan's life very interesting indeed)

Angelic Layer (I find this show so unreal in that if there really was such a thing as Angelic Layer, most of the people contesting in it would be boys not girls especially if this game was availible in Japan)

Fruits Basket (Tohru can be so sweet at times, that you risk falling into a diabetic coma)

Last edited by Tamago (10-26-2006 08:01:02 PM)

#21 | Back to Top10-26-2006 08:41:47 PM

assoil
New Student

I tend to read more manga, but in no particular order; my top 15

SKU
X/1999, my fave manga series of all time, also it was the first one I bought
KareKano: I identify alot with Yukino
MARS
Akuma na eros: Virgin crisis
Alice 19th
Angel anctuary
W Juliet
Evangelion
XXXholic; I etc-love Yuuko
Hoshi no koe
Zettai Kareshi
Hellsing ; I watched the anime
Paradise Kiss
Howl's moving castle

Also, in my heart is Sailor Moon, it's the first amine I've watched in my live.

#22 | Back to Top10-26-2006 08:45:37 PM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

Hinotori wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Haha, nothing wrong with Sailormoon. It didn't have much rewatch value for me, so I kind of consider it nostalgia. o; But the nostalgia is delicious. The ending made my 14 year old self cry.

Rosemary Bats: Mentioning two of my favourite manga (4 and 5) pretty much garantees attacking on the Petshop of Horrors thing. It could be that I have a hard time with shonen-ai and CLAMP (a whole other story there, but I'd rather not make any enemies in my first 10 posts) but I have a -really- hard time liking the manga. I cooulld be missing something, but out of curiosity, what made you like it?

You mean, why do I like Petshop the manga so much? Well, first, it's definately like a combination of the Twilight Zone and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, in that people who break the contracts often get their just desserts in VERY ironic (and violent, at times) ways. Secondly, it goes into more detail with the stories in the manga, especially concerning just what Count D is. The end volume is especially mindblowing in that respect, and the scanlations I have of the sequel, Shin Pet Shop, just continue to push the envelope of "how freaky and violent can we make this?" For example, a side-story in the manga that has never been released in the US has Count D's grandfather selling a Kirin, the beast that grants rulership of a nation to the person who buys it (or the lover of the person) to a photographer in WW2-era Berlin. The photographer, of course, is Eva Braun, future wife to Adolf Hitler.

I love things that are otherworldy without being typical fairy story material, I love the morbid and depraved, I love animals, and I love when things in the storyline aren't directly answered. I don't think there's any way I COULDN'T like it. etc-love

CLAMP isn't responsible for Pet Shop of Horrors (and I'm not particularly fond of most of their stuff), and as for Shounen-Ai...Count D is 100% asexual, and actually admits at one point: "Love between humans...I don't understand it." He is attracted to no one. He sees the detective as an interesting person to observe, and maybe even as a friend or even family near the end of it, but never anything else. Orcot does seem to be reluctantly attracted to D, but it's never in ANY way reciprocated. D did make out with a man in one chapter...but only because he knew the man was a mythical beast in human form and wanted it under his control, and was willing to do anything to obtain it (he says, after learning the 'man' was a cannibal out to kill him, "I would have gladly lost an arm or two to obtain a creature like that."). In fact, SPOILER HIGHLIGHT TO READ- Count D's whole line reproduces asexually and has the exact same DNA, so I don't see WHERE you get Shounen-ai. -SPOILER END

The anime is just watered-down versions of 4 randomly picked stories. Although DESPAIR was one of my favorites, and I appreciated being able to see it in moving picture, I prefer the manga telling.

#23 | Back to Top10-26-2006 08:46:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Cerise wrote:

11. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (will definitely move down with a rewatch and deeper consideration)

I was thinking about watching this since the anime forum at Something Awful is acting like it's the second coming. You sound less enthusiastic. emot-frown

For me...Utena, obviously. Escaflowne, Lain, Evangelion, Slayers... wow it's really been kinda a long time since I've been an anime mop. emot-redface

Rosemary Bats wrote:

Petshop of Horrors

Dude, I loved that anime but it was so short...I didn't know they'd brought the manga over, this sounds like delicious. Did they edit anything for the US release?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#24 | Back to Top10-26-2006 08:54:26 PM

assoil
New Student

I think Petshop of Horrors was released by Tokyopop. I've seen it in the store I buy my manga.

#25 | Back to Top10-26-2006 09:01:09 PM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

Rosemary Bats wrote:

Petshop of Horrors

Dude, I loved that anime but it was so short...I didn't know they'd brought the manga over, this sounds like delicious. Did they edit anything for the US release?

The manga is here in the States, all ten volumes. Only 2 side-stories were edited out for number-of-pages reasons, but I downloaded them from a scanlation site that I'm sure I could relocate. There's a sequel series too, Shin Pet Shop, that HASN'T been brought here yet, but the start of it is also available for download at the scanlation site. I highly recommend the manga: exquisitely, beautifully drawn and compellingly told, with smatterings of random-ass humor. emot-dance

And to Assoil: yes, it's Tokyopop. Thank you for recalling that. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Rosemary Bats (10-26-2006 09:01:42 PM)

Board footer