This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1876 | Back to Top09-18-2013 04:20:22 PM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Re: [Welcome] Introduce yourself here!!

Yes, well, I've experimented with how to teach Utena in different environments. In essence, the more time I have to go into the topic, the more sensible it becomes to talk about it in the first place. In one of my first lectures at the college, I chose to introduce the series and show its general structure through the Juri arc in two sessions. Unbeknownst to me the Chancellor planned to sit in to one of my lectures to see what I was doing and what the course was about. He sat in just as I was going into the Mikage arc episode, talking about the confessional elevator and its relation to therapy and the Shadow archetype in general, and then going into whichever song is in that episode. The Chancellor got up and left without a word, with a fellow teacher coming in to tell me I would be summoned to the Chancellor's office after class, at which point I remarked to my students that this is probably the last time I would be allowed to set foot in this institution. Quite the contrary, the Chancellor was highly excited and told me how he now understood the depths of these kinds of works through how I talked about them. So, a highly positive experience there.
I also tried pulling the first episode out in introductory lectures at animecons and such, it works less many times than it does not, due to the nature of not being able to go in-depth into stuff in these kinds of spaces with limited timeframes and with a much more general audience. One time though, when I was invited to a high school to discuss how anime portrays high schools, I put Utena in as the last example, and the episode ran up to the start of the first duel. I was narrating what was going on as the sword came out of Anthy and two about 13 year-old girls screamed out in unison WHAT IS GOING ON, and a minute later, as I ran out of time and announced that I had to stop the video just as the duel was starting, the same two girls screamed out NOOOOOOO, either sparking great interest or scarring them emotionally for the rest of their lives. (Hoping it's the former.)

#1877 | Back to Top09-18-2013 09:36:40 PM

mistspinner
Ohtori Paramouri

My goodness, you sound far more qualified to speak about this than I am...I'm very impressed, and look forward to hearing your views! emot-biggrin

Welcome welcome, and I hope you enjoy your time here! etc-love

#1878 | Back to Top10-01-2013 02:45:59 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Greetings, everyone!
I have finally decided to join the forum after about three years of lurking (terrible, I know). I've been a SKU fan for four years, checked it out for the pretty visuals and kinda got hooked. My favorite character, if I had to choose,would be Mikage/Nemuro, though I like nearly all of them for one reason or another.

In life, I am a soon-to-be-twenty architecture student, I love anime and manga, videogames, reading (hardcore ASOIAF fan) and thinking too much into things (I blame SKU for that particular habit of mine etc-love ). My favorite colour is blue, I'm a Capricorn, I have a weird habit of calling inanimate objects sexy, and my guilty pleasures are Bollywood and K-pop. I also have a bit of a uniform fetish emot-biggrin

English is my second language, so please forgive occasional mistakes and typos. I also know a bit of french, and I dream of studying japanese or korean (or both).

Pretty much all I can think of at the moment. I have been a HUGE fan of this site since I first laid eyes on it, and I'm very happy to be a even a teeny-tiny part of it's awesomeness.

Sending love and cupcakes your way!
Snow

#1879 | Back to Top10-01-2013 08:57:13 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Welcome welcome! emot-keke Good to have you here in the Rose Garden, Snow!

I'd admit expressing curiosity to something about you, though, but considering it's a bit tactless to ask in front of everybody, even for me, I will be sending you a PM with my question.

Also, there's no such thing, to me, as reading too much into things. (It's gotten me in trouble a few times, but that's more a personal issue and not applicable to everybody else. *nodnod*)

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#1880 | Back to Top10-01-2013 09:49:42 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Thank you very much for welcoming me BioKraze emot-smile

As for reading too much into stuff, it makes life more fun most of the time emot-biggrin

#1881 | Back to Top10-01-2013 07:38:56 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Snow wrote:

As for reading too much into stuff, it makes life more fun most of the time emot-biggrin

You are so right. Glad to have you here! emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#1882 | Back to Top10-01-2013 08:08:56 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Welcome, to all the new posters! Don't be shy about posting.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1883 | Back to Top10-02-2013 12:53:17 AM

NastyQuacks
New Student

I'm just here because I've decided that this is my all time favorite anime.

Have you got a doctor in the balcony, lady?

#1884 | Back to Top10-04-2013 01:52:14 AM

SailorTralfamadore
New Student

Hi! I just joined because I recently saw the Utena anime for the first time and loved it (and already rank it among my top five anime), and I'll probably just lurk for a while until I feel more comfortable discussing it, but I wanted to post so my account wouldn't be deleted!

I'm Rose, I'm 23 and a grad student studying musicology. I live in Boston. I'm also a writer and I compose music as well (I mean I got my undergrad degree in it so I try to keep it up?). I don't know what else there is to say about me...

#1885 | Back to Top10-04-2013 02:28:02 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

NastyQuacks wrote:

I'm just here because I've decided that this is my all time favorite anime.

I know what you mean. I basically stopped watching anime after SKU. My brain just went, "welp seen the best one, I'm done now." emot-keke

SailorTralfamadore wrote:

Hi! I just joined because I recently saw the Utena anime for the first time and loved it (and already rank it among my top five anime), and I'll probably just lurk for a while until I feel more comfortable discussing it, but I wanted to post so my account wouldn't be deleted!

I'm Rose, I'm 23 and a grad student studying musicology. I live in Boston. I'm also a writer and I compose music as well (I mean I got my undergrad degree in it so I try to keep it up?). I don't know what else there is to say about me...

Ha, you have a great name for this fandom. Welcome to both of you! emot-keke

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#1886 | Back to Top10-04-2013 09:10:24 PM

dreamingallby
New Student

Well, I hope I'm doing this right....

Hi, nice to meet you!  I only watched Utena recently, though I tried when I was younger and just could not get into it.  However, this go-around I really loved it and was surprised at how dense the story is.  I mostly joined this forum to read about what other people think about the series and its various themes. 

I suppose for personal information I'll say that I'm a twenty-something female from Florida.  I'm looking forward to exploring this community! emot-keke

#1887 | Back to Top10-09-2013 11:19:11 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hi Dreaming!  Welcome to IRG from a fellow Floridian! emot-smile  I suspect SKU is one of those works that you appreciate on a different level depending on where you are in life when you watch it -- or maybe you just focus on different things.  I'm happy you gave the show a second try and wound up here!  Feel free to jump in anywhere!

#1888 | Back to Top10-23-2013 07:40:16 PM

DameGrise
New Student

It looks like a few weeks since anyone else new joined up.

I have been a huge fan of SKU for many years. My boyfriend and I just bought the 3 new boxed sets, so I was able to see the Apocalypse Arc clearly for the first time. My brain is a little fried because we first got the set last Thursday and finished it sometime on Sunday.

I'm a little scared of the fans of this show, so I'll likely be very quiet. This is a beautiful site, and I think it's probably fans like the people who built this place that kept the buzz of the show high enough that there was a new release.

Now I just have to save up for Rose of Versailles.

#1889 | Back to Top10-23-2013 09:50:27 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I don't know how the SKU fandom got a reputation for being all intimidating and scary.  Maybe it's just that any group looks that way from the outside.  I hope you find us less scary from the inside than you did from the outside.  Speaking only for myself, I've never known a nicer bunch of people. etc-love

Congrats on finishing what sounds like a very fast Utena marathon!  And welcome to IRG emot-smile

#1890 | Back to Top10-23-2013 11:24:33 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Just a reminder to the newer people, thread necros are appreciated here! You never know when someone has a new spin on something we've discussed.

And welcome! emot-keke

#1891 | Back to Top10-25-2013 02:38:35 PM

DameGrise
New Student

satyreyes wrote:

I don't know how the SKU fandom got a reputation for being all intimidating and scary.  Maybe it's just that any group looks that way from the outside.  I hope you find us less scary from the inside than you did from the outside.  Speaking only for myself, I've never known a nicer bunch of people. etc-love

Congrats on finishing what sounds like a very fast Utena marathon!  And welcome to IRG emot-smile

I'm trying to observe more closely, because I probably do eventually have things to say. I had kind of a rough time when I was RPing some SKU people at different times. Not really about the RPing so much, but interacting with a few people in talking about the canon. Could have been as much my fault. Online communication can be so easy to misunderstand.

I almost insisted we slow the watch down, because the last time I'd done it in a week and that was hard. Right now I'm stuck with it getting into my dreams and having various bits of music stuck in my head all the time. When I watch it again, I am probably gonna watching it on my computer so I can do the subtitle version with the remastered audio. I don't have any fancy speakers, but the things said about it all in the booklets almost makes me want to pledge my eyeteeth to get a home theater system. But food and shelter and stuff take a higher priority.

Thanks for the welcome.

Also, to Yasha, thanks to you too. I've been reading backwards into the archives. I know I'm probably going to say something eventually. I am so sad that the huge discussion of Utena mods for The Sims 2 were so long ago. I never liked 3, so I still play with 2.

#1892 | Back to Top10-25-2013 09:28:45 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

I miss TS2 -- I had it installed on my ancient PC, but with space at a premium, I couldn't really justify having it on here.

But since I plan on getting a newish laptop in February anyway, I can wait a few months longer... as long as I can downgrade to Win7, that is.

(okay, I could use 8 if I absolutely HAD to, but...)

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#1893 | Back to Top10-26-2013 06:59:33 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

DameGrise wrote:

Also, to Yasha, thanks to you too. I've been reading backwards into the archives. I know I'm probably going to say something eventually. I am so sad that the huge discussion of Utena mods for The Sims 2 were so long ago. I never liked 3, so I still play with 2.

My honest opinion? Ask about them in-thread. Someone may come out of the woodwork to reply. Or pm/email the members that made the mods. I can promise you they won't be offended. 99.9999999999% of the people who've passed through here have been fantastic human beings who would be flattered to know that someone liked their mod and wanted to use it.

#1894 | Back to Top11-06-2013 03:29:57 AM

Orphic Okapi
Wakaba Wrangler

Hi guys. I really like SKU. I have watched the show in its entirety twice now within six months. Both times I finished it, the ending filled me with a euphoric sense of having witnessed a masterpiece, and a desire to run around outside screaming, "Himemiyaaa!!! Utena-samaaaaaa!!!! Himemiyaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Utena-samaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!" until I collapse. God the ending is beautiful. Seriously if you ever want to dissolve me into a puddle of tears, just mention something that vaguely reminds me of Ep. 39.

I'm not a huge anime fan in general, but I do enjoy some of the more "artsy" stuff, like Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei. I would like to find more shows in that vein. And . . . that's pretty much me. I'm boring.

Oh yeah I really dig these smilies etc-saiowanketc-jurishlick

#1895 | Back to Top11-06-2013 08:27:41 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Orphic Okapi wrote:

I'm not a huge anime fan in general, but I do enjoy some of the more "artsy" stuff, like Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei. I would like to find more shows in that vein.

I acknowledge your taste.  etc-love  If you're not aware yet of the novelist Haruki Murakami, you need to jump on that, because he's very much part of the same literary movement as Ikuhara and ABe, who sometimes explicitly draw inspiration from his work.  I'm told Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World parallels Haibane Renmei very directly, though I haven't read it myself yet.

As for anime, you might try on Dennou Coil.  I was reminded forcefully of both Lain and Haibane Renmei while watching.

Oh yeah I really dig these smilies etc-saiowanketc-jurishlick

Don't we all?  emot-wink

Welcome to IRG!

#1896 | Back to Top11-06-2013 08:37:54 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Orphic Okapi wrote:

I'm not a huge anime fan in general, but I do enjoy some of the more "artsy" stuff, like Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei. I would like to find more shows in that vein.

Check out Eat-Man. The second season (Eat-Man 98) was considerably more mainstream (though still decent enough), but that first season goes out of its way to be intensely paced and articulate, while refusing to explain itself or make any kind of explicit judgment of its characters' behavior. People chasing success, people manufacturing new lives for themselves, seeking answers in analysis or in conflict, people living to support others or dying to defend people who've already betrayed them.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1897 | Back to Top11-07-2013 01:26:34 AM

Orphic Okapi
Wakaba Wrangler

I am actually a pretty big Murakami fan! The Wind-up Bird Chronicle was the first of his books that I read, and remains my favorite. I think he can be a bit of a one-trick pony sometimes (like every SINGLE one of his books features a mysterious woman who disappears), but Hardboiled Wonderland stands out to me as one of his more unique books. I could definitely see some parallels between it and Haibane Renmei.

Dennou Coil has been on my to-watch list for a long time. Your recommendation may convince me to finally give it a try!

I have never even heard of Eat-Man but it sounds really interesting. Also I watched the OP on Youtube and it was really awesome in a totally ridiculous way (MELODY!!! MELODY!!!). Thanks for the welcome guys!

#1898 | Back to Top11-07-2013 11:18:43 AM

Junopsis
New Student

Hello!  I hail from sunny Florida and when I'm not doing tutoring, I sell crafts and buttons at conventions.  If you attend conventions in Orlando or Tampa you may have seen me.

I've been registered here before, but that was in college, and those e-mails got shut down after a while.  I have no idea what my username used to be.  So here I am!  I kind of got reminded that this fandom is a deep and abiding thing in one's soul because Utena turned up on Hulu and.. just wow.  Rewatching at the moment.

#1899 | Back to Top11-07-2013 12:13:27 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Utena is on Hulu now?  Hallelujah, we're, like, mainstream or something. emot-biggrin  Time to cash in by writing a fanfic novel, changing the names, and selling it as an original work.

Welcome back to IRG! emot-smile  If you want to use your old username or just remind yourself what it used to be, that's a super easy thing for me to look up; all I need to know is what your email address would have been.  PM me if you'd like some help!

#1900 | Back to Top11-07-2013 02:34:40 PM

Kenchikushi
New Student

Hey there.
I've just recently rewatched Utena after a bunch of years and felt the urge to find more interpretations of its symbolism.
Other than that, I am not very talkative person and yet, you can be sure I'll read as many threads here as my busy timetable allows me to.
Greetings from central Europe!

Board footer