This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#176 | Back to Top10-10-2010 12:34:15 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Re: Project Runway

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH IVY?

I do not understand this ENTIRE SEASON with the picking on Michael C. He seems like a perfectly reasonable, sweet guy! And everyone bullies him! Of course, once they get to KNOW him they're like "oh hay i actually like you a lot", such as Mondo. But jesus christ Ivy go fucking die in a fire. You are that petty to bring shit like that up after you've been off the show? Thank god for Tim Gunn being all "omfg stfu."

#177 | Back to Top10-10-2010 07:50:28 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Ivy and Gtretchen were both being big bitches last ep, (and April too.  Although at least her critiques of MC's sewing at least contain some modicum of rationale).  Mondo at first was being a major diva -Hiedi makes fun of everyone's stuff.  Thick skin, gotsa getsit, but it was cool to see hom overcome it.

Also.  I hated pretty much everything on the runway.  Probably because I found Heidi's bland beige baggy active wear line ugly in the first place.  There were bits and peices of promise and not-so-bad, and I actually rather liked MC's outfits, orange pants aside.  No, it wasn't active wear.  But it was actually attractive.  :/

LOL IVY GOT KARMA'D IN THE EYE.  LOLOLOLOLOLOL

#178 | Back to Top10-15-2010 12:06:35 AM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Emiemipoemi wrote:

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH IVY?

I don't think the forum software could support the amount of words I need to fully explain, so I'll keep it short.

She has no eye for design, period.

Yes, she can sew like a motherfucker, but the stuff that comes out is so incredibly bland when it's not confusing. I can't even call it vanilla because at least vanilla's a damn flavor. Her mad hate-on for Michael C. is entirely because she's jealous that, despite his questionable sewing skill and taste level, the judges liked his work and hated hers.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Ivy and Gtretchen were both being big bitches last ep, (and April too.  Although at least her critiques of MC's sewing at least contain some modicum of rationale).Mondo at first was being a major diva -Hiedi makes fun of everyone's stuff.  Thick skin, gotsa getsit, but it was cool to see hom overcome it.

Yeah, but Gretchen pretty much dislikes what everyone makes, even her alleged friends.

Mondo was being a bit of a bitch, but so was Heidi. I thought he was giving as good as he got...not that you're supposed to do that on a REAL job.

Also.  I hated pretty much everything on the runway.  Probably because I found Heidi's bland beige baggy active wear line ugly in the first place.  There were bits and peices of promise and not-so-bad, and I actually rather liked MC's outfits, orange pants aside.  No, it wasn't active wear.  But it was actually attractive.  :/

The activewear part killed me, and Heidi's stuff was fugly. At least Mondo's worked with the collection. As much as I like Andy's, it doesn't mesh as well as I'd like it to. And I think Michael C. would have been in the top if all or some of his pieces were done in the given fabric.

---------

As for this week....

I think the right person went home. I kinda liked April's stuff, but the judges had a point. Same shit, different week...not to mention two pairs of hot pants. She lost me with the hot pants.

As much as I dislike Gretchen, I think she needs to go to Fashion Week with Mondo and Andy to balance them out. Michael C. can't/won't do separates, but she can. Andy loves his black and Mondo loves color, but Gretchen is all about the muted colors and neutrals. All four of their aesthetics are so different that you could get a lot of variety from combining any three of them. April had to go because she was kind of redundant.

Now, I'm glad that Mondo's dress turned out so damned good, but I wish he'd just asked Andy how to cut sequins. Obviously he knew. (Dear God, I want something covered in sequins right now.) At least the judges can say he did something different by not using color. Seriously, I can't see him not winning the whole thing. He has to win, he just has to.

I liked Michael C's dress, and I knew he got his rhythm back when I looked at it and said, "Oh, the judges are going to hate it for being too simple and/or too literal." And then they loved it, just like all of the other stuff I thought they'd hate, but they liked.

I was fond of Andy's dress, too, despite the whole warrior woman/Chinese prostitute/dominatrix look...or perhaps because of it, who can say? I'm just happy that he's still there, to be honest.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#179 | Back to Top10-18-2010 02:11:16 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Slightly off-topic, but my friends and I went to see Tim Gunn host a fashion show at Ala Moana Center, the big mall in town.  Andy was there as well, being a local boy and all.  (My roomie and I have taken to calling him "Waianae," as that's the name of his hometown here on Oahu.)  Two things: Tim lost the tie for the occasion (gasp!) and declared Hawaii a "fashion-free zone," where normal rules of fashion don't apply.  It's not like they really can, in a place like this where there's only two seasons: when it rains a lot, and when it doesn't.  He was charming and gracious and BADASS, and I admit I got a little inspired.

As for PR as it stands right now, CAN GRETCHEN PLEASE SHUT HER FACE ALREADY.  I am so tired of the "I'm so happy for all of us being her together and doing great things and blah blah blah" bullshit, only to hear her spout another brand of bullshit later in the episode during judging.  Also, she looks terrible in red lipstick.  Her lips are just too thin for her to rock the look properly.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#180 | Back to Top10-21-2010 09:01:49 PM

ShinraiTenchi
Saionji Slapper

Just wanted to give my thoughts on tonight's episode, lol.  First: Andy should've been called before Gretchen, and second: Michael's elimination was one of the most uncomfortable TV moments I've ever had to sit through.  For a second there, I thought he wasn't even going to respond to Heidi's "Auf wiedersehen" since he just looked so...I dunno.  I can only imagine how awkward it must've been for Heidi and the judges.  That being said, I do feel kind of bad for him because of how emotional he was and how close he made it (though he definitely took the word emotional to the extreme...).  But I never was a fan of his work and had expected him to go home much earlier (he didn't deserve those awful insults from Ivy though- totally uncalled for) .  Based on the 10-piece collection he made (which be seen online on the "Blogging Project Runway" blog along with the collections of the other 10 last designers on the show who showed at fashion week), I wasn't sold either so his elimination was expected to say the least.

Also, Heidi's little "This was the hardest decision in Project Runway history" remark in the preview for next week is such a joke XD  Mondo is CLEARLY lightyears ahead of Gretchen and Andy as far as showmanship, taste, and workmanship is concerned in this finale collection.  I'll be really surprised if he doesn't win.  If anything, I would say the the hardest decision would've had to have been either season 4 or 5.  Christian Siriano was the clear winner in my opinion, but Rami and Jillian's collections were both equally satisfying.  It was a matter of taste.  Same with Korto, Leanne, and Kenley.  All of their collections were really beautiful.  I can't say the same about Mondo, Andy, and Gretchen.  I feel Andy could've done an amazing couture collection (like the warrior outfit he made for the High Fashion challenge), but instead chose a collection filled with silvers and greys and kinda...boring clothing.  Gretchen's stuff is very wearable, which is great.  But her colour palette and fabric choices do nothing for me.  Mondo's (to me) is the only fashion-forward collection of the three.

Ack, sorry for rambling!  I just wanted to let it all out at once ahaha emot-keke;

The moonlight carries a message of love.

#181 | Back to Top10-22-2010 07:35:28 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Just gonna say I cried. I love Michael C. Being a creative person is hard enough, but to have no support from your family . . . that's just terrible. I want to hug him and tell him he's just beginning.

#182 | Back to Top10-22-2010 08:03:27 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I feel like all four had such a strong desire, hell, a need to win that seeing any of them go is heartbreaking.  MC, you're a sweetheart and you are talented, but I do think you were the one that deserved to go. 

Even though all of their lines disappointed me a bit.  I despise animal print, Mondo's reminded me of those polka-dot and paisley quilt purses and wallets for older women you find all over Hospital gift shops, and Andy's looked fishlike.  Shiny, form-fitting thick silver fabric?  No thanks.  And Michel C would make something pretty, and then botch up the other half of it (that gorg top had a fugly back) and made stuff that, while pretty, didn't read fashion to me.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-22-2010 08:04:14 PM)

#183 | Back to Top10-26-2010 04:21:07 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

mercurynin: Slightly off-topic, but my friends and I went to see Tim Gunn host a fashion show at Ala Moana Center, the big mall in town.

My gods, I am envious. Ridiculously so. I always knew the man had his charmingly badass moments. I had a little "fag hag" swoon moment when he told Gretchen off for her manipulative tactics on the runway. Unlike many people in his profession, he calls bullshit when he believes it, rather than when he sees it as politically advantageous. Because he's so understanding and diplomatic, it's all the more significant when he takes a strong stance.

Emiemipoemi Just gonna say I cried. I love Michael C. Being a creative person is hard enough, but to have no support from your family .

Poor guy! Not only is he tormented by his restrictive family, but he was shit on by every other contestant except Mondo. I don't care if he was secretly the Stalin of the group. Unless he was taking a huge dump in their cereal every morning, their behavior is damn bitchy and unjustified. There have been plenty of douchey designers on the show and no one tortured them quite as much. So really...fuck those jealous bitches. Additionally, I'm quite curious as to his background. My theory is that his family is Roma. The "evil eye" symbol that he used in his print is a very common gypsy ward. Plus he mentioned that his family is crooked. I don't mean to make sweeping stereotypes about gypsies, but that seems to be in line with at least the perception of the group from many standpoints. I'm not sure how this is relevant, but still...it's interesting.

Speaking more in terms of fashion, damn Gretchen is disappointing. I mean...ugh, that drab repetitive color palette. That whole "granola" fixation. What frustrates me is how many people attribute that to the influence of Portland. Thank gods for Leanne Marshall.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#184 | Back to Top10-26-2010 06:05:37 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I'm still in love with Tim telling off Ivy, "Look.  This is heresay.  No one saw what you claimed happened, none of our personnel or MANY, MANY cameras did either.  So stfu."

And let's not forget MC's, "How does it feel to get kicked off the show for designing ugly clothes?"

etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Srsly Gretchen, think Runway not Street.  Collection not Line.  Remember who did that last season and it didn't work?  Because that totally misses the point of a runway show?  Huh?  Huh?  I'm all for comfortable, flattering, affordable smart clothes, but that is something you would create AFTER/IF you win, not in order TO win. 

Or go bake Mondo some cookies WHY HAS NO ONE BAKED THIS MAN COOKIES?????

[I say that feeling like MC's brothers totes bake him cookies.]

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-26-2010 06:06:17 PM)

#185 | Back to Top10-28-2010 09:06:35 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

FUCK. emot-mad

That is all.

#186 | Back to Top10-28-2010 09:25:19 PM

ShinraiTenchi
Saionji Slapper

... o_o

#187 | Back to Top10-28-2010 09:54:49 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

uh oh. i havent watched the finale yet but this does not sound good.

#188 | Back to Top10-29-2010 03:38:06 AM

Katzenklavier

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#189 | Back to Top10-29-2010 08:47:47 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

UH, SPOILERS

Before Judging:

Firstlies, for the first time I really like all three collections.  Andy's color choices looked horrible on the rack, but gorgeous on the runway though more than 2 colors would have been nice, I'm not a fan of Gretchen's hard-on for hot pants but love the rural, breezy look with SUPER BIG JEWELRY YAH and was grateful it wasn't laden with animal prints, and Mondo's was cute and diverse and some of the pieces I was worried about on the rack dazzled me on the runway (Skull etc-love), though the mixture of prints felt a bit overwhelming (Quilt-like) and of the three collections, his would be the least likely I would fantasize wearing (Key word: fantasize, as in, if I really had to wear a collection Gretchen's would be last because of the backlessness).  I would have also liked more polish and sophistication on his style (kinda like how Seth Aaron simultaneously wrangled in and accented his boldness in his collection).

After the Judging:

And while I love Mondo's stuff, I'm tired of people seeing bold color and black and saying CREATIVE, whereas just because a design is subtle and wearable and using neutrals it is automatically simple and boring and 'not designed.'  I look at Gretchen's work and do see creative cuts and uses of fabric.  That she needs a lot of socialization is beside the point.  I don't think she's evil (or a saint) just so damn awkward and unable to shut her mouth (while at the same time overthinking every word that comes out of it until it all becomes pointless and trite dribble), eager to please but also too quick to rationalize her own decisions, though then again, Mondo got way bitchy and intolerant of critique all the time -even cited his multiple wins as proof of his superiority over the judge's critique.  But I'll chalk that one up to stress over his wayward models.

I also felt they were comparing Andy...against Andy.  I feel for the guy, he followed their critiques and did what I was hoping Mondo would do in terms of reigning in his style and reinterpreting it, and got harangued for not being the super-hard, super-cray designer he was earlier in the season.

And Mondo, you are still amazing.  I agree with the judges in choosing Gretchen but you have gotten some wonderful exposure and made some great fans (and a cool 20 grand cool).  I expect you to go places.  Do not disappoint.  And also I need your address so I can mail you and yo man SUM COOKIES.

Seriously it sounds like I'm ragging on Mondo but I loved his collection -I loved all three- I just feel that since Gretchen is so hated on I would have to explain my preference for her's quite a bit.  Any of these collections could have easily beat many of the past season's finale collections (a big exception being Seth Aaron because I screenhump whenever him or his work is shown on screen).

I am also in love with how the three finalists weren't catty bitches to each other.  That was really nice to see.  Although, granted, I did skip most of the introductory group talk with the past designers because I am so damn sick of the drama and just wanted to see the final collections.  Did I miss anything?  As in, did people FINALLY (aside from Mondo) apologize to MC for being so shitty towards him?

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-29-2010 08:48:18 PM)

#190 | Back to Top10-29-2010 09:20:23 PM

ShinraiTenchi
Saionji Slapper

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

UH, SPOILERS  Did I miss anything?  As in, did people FINALLY (aside from Mondo) apologize to MC for being so shitty towards him?

They were all very very friendly for most of it.  The only thing that stood out was when Ivy surprisingly spoke badly about Gretchen right in front of her.  That was rather surprising, only because it seemed as though Ivy and Gretchen had been friends during the taping of the show; just as surprising was the fact that Michael C stood up for Gretchen after Ivy (and April kinda) spoke badly of her.  Basically, Ivy came across (yet again) as a total she-dog.  If anyone was evil this season, it was definitely Ivy, not Gretchen.

I was kinda shocked that they chose Gretchen only because I really thought Mondo had it in the bag.  When I first saw images of both his and Gretchen's collections online a few weeks ago, I didn't really like either of them.  But it's funny how your opinion changes after seeing the clothes move.  Andy's for example looked SO much prettier as the models wore it down the runway.  Gretchen's looked so much better as the girls were walking in it, and Mondo's came across as a lot more editorial (to me).  That said, I do think Mondo did kinda go a bit over the top with the prints (I still loved them though).  My mum loved Gretchen's collection a lot (except for those panty-shorts she had a few times come down the runway...) and I have to admit that I was fond of it too.  I could see where Nina+Michael were coming from, and I could also see where Heidi+Jessica were coming from.  I'm not really upset that Gretchen won though.  To be honest, I would've been fine with either of them winning since they each have so much potential and talent.  I just really thought that based on Mondo's previous work and his consistency in his 10-piece collection, he was going to win. 

I agree with you that their collections were a lot more appealing than some collections from previous seasons.  I could definitely see them beating Chloe's from season 2 and perhaps Jeffrey's from season 3.  I think my favourite finale collections are Christian Siriano's and Seth Aaron's.  They were both really edgy, very fashion-forward, and memorable.

#191 | Back to Top10-29-2010 10:54:16 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I am really tired of the words "Wal-mart," "JC Penny," and "Homeless" being used as slang insults to describe Gretchen's work.  It isn't about whether or not it's true,  it is just, being from a relatively low-income, rural family myself, I find them incredibly offensive and moronic.  I like bronzes and rural patterns, I like stuff that looks as accessible as it does chic, I like taking rural, multicultural clothing and art, which is associated with a lower class of society and not fashion, and celebrating the beauty of it and reinterpreting it into modern fashion without turning any of it into tokens of fashion without meaning.   ANYTHING THAT ISN'T URBAN ISN'T AUTOMATICALLY CHEAP AND TASTELESS.

Everything Mondo does is not blessed by angels.  Everything Gretchen does is not a fugly nightmare.  Fuck trolls.

#192 | Back to Top11-04-2010 12:04:20 AM

Katzenklavier

Everything Mondo does is not blessed by angels.  Everything Gretchen does is not a fugly nightmare.

Absolutely. The judges were utterly correct in that Mondo could've benefited heavily from some serious editing. Granted, I love the fact he's willing to explore with prints, especially in ways that are both entirely unsafe and incredibly appealing. That's a rare gift. It's refreshing also that he loves to explore bright and interesting colors. But sometimes it seems like he has style diarrhea. He's not John Galliano - he doesn't have that level of influence yet to get away without editing. I felt his styling was a bit unfortunate and while many of his separates were entirely wearable, thrown together they occasionally seemed quite clumsy in presentation.

I did appreciate Gretchen's very rural/Southwestern influence. It reminds me a fashion rendering of National Geographic sometimes - her work is reminiscent of modern tribalwear. I love that she comes from a different place than most of the other designers. I also love the fact her collection isn't fundamentally "Portland" - of which has it's very own distinct hipster chic perspective. Her second piece coming down the runway, the long dress with asymmetrical sleeves and the brown/yellow/green arrow print, was extremely flattering and quite likable. However...

I didn't like her collection in total. There were a few looks I really liked, but altogether, it was just bland to me. I hate that little granny panty short trend that's so in right now, and it popped up THREE times in her collection. It was all quite wearable, yes, but it came off as just incredibly dull. It's all so quintessentially 70's hippie environmental aesthetic that it doesn't really bring a new fashion forward designer element. It's more like she was creating period pieces. Mondo's, while imperfect, was right for the runway. You're supposed to be awed, intrigued, and occasionally confused about a runway show. His was unique and, love it or hate it, you'll definitely remember it.

All this said, the real reason for my post was that I just found my new fashion orgasm, courtesy of Irina Shabayeva. She was NOT my favorite on my show, nor was her runway anything compared to Seth Aaron's or McCarroll's in my view. But...feast your eyes on what I think is one of the most gorgeous collections I've seen in a long time:

http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/2010/ … ction.html

GAWRAHGRAHAAAUUGGHHH etc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowank!!!!!!!!!!

#193 | Back to Top11-04-2010 07:34:39 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I think she won for her overall style and aesthetic  during the season versus Mondo's as opposed to collection versus collection.  And at least the judges admitted a good deal of their personal taste went into the decision, instead of deriding Mondo.  And I hated the hotpants (?).  I assumed they were only there to show off leg.  I'm also still a bit sad that Andy's collection was so hastily dismissed.  emot-frown

And...omg...that...Irina...so....unfunfunf...she was so mean...but..so....want.

#194 | Back to Top11-04-2010 10:17:14 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Most of my displeasure with the finale stems from the fact that all three designers disappointed me in some way.  My biggest problem was that no one understands the concept of creating a color story, and that "cohesive" does not mean make everything in the same bloody fabric or only use 2 colors. Oddly enough, this is remarkably similar to the complaints lodged against Michael C. at his last elimination.

Why I'm pissed at Gretchen:

1) Her collection was so damn current it was almost retro. I swear some of these things used to live in my mom's closet in 1991.
2) Boring ass print.
3) Using said print in damn near everything.

Why I'm pissed at Andy:

1) 2 Fucking Colors. That's it.
2) It's pretty, but this was not the time to show the Softer Side of Andy. The runway show is the time to be YOU turned up to eleven.
3) Where was the showstopping "Holyshitlemmegetmahcamera" item? That could have saved him.

Why I'm pissed at Mondo:

1) That blue shirt that forces me to stare at the model's obvious nipples.
2) Whipping out that polka dot number AGAIN for final judging when two of the regular judges clearly fucking hate it. *facepalm*
3) There is a third reason, but I forget.

Anywho, I feel like the judges tend to forget that runway shows, especially ones at Fashion Week, exist almost solely as a live, moving commercial for critics and top-level buyers. Wearability is supposed to fall back in favor of introducing concepts/techniques that will appear in the actual merchandise. That's why the ridiculous hair and heavy makeup are often used in these presentations; they're an over-the-top version of the real clothes. Couture shows are basically this times a billion.

#195 | Back to Top11-06-2010 03:26:18 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

I think this blog post, which most importantly includes a video of Tim Gunn's reactions and opinions of the finale, sums it up best.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#196 | Back to Top11-06-2010 03:43:29 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

http://www.pinkisthenewblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/110310_timgunnspeaks.jpg

best image ever? oh yes.

#197 | Back to Top11-10-2010 01:26:26 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs572.ash2/149485_10150316338945113_258811420112_15891059_4265960_n.jpg
etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Board footer