This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-28-2007 02:34:49 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Philosophia

So, orpheus has offered to explain/debate philosophy (except for Ayn Rand) with any and all. I happen to know he kicks major amounts of ass in this arena, so if anyone's got questions, bring it on!

Reposts from another thread:

orpheus wrote:

Okay...I am convinced....women in lingerie in the kitchen (isn't that akin to the Platonic Form of Beauty Itself?).

Who wants to discuss the finer points of Aristotelian ethics? Maybe I post a little something to get the conversation going...I wrote this with non-academics in mind....

Virtue translates the Greek arete, which in the NE refers to a functional excellence (1106a17). Arete is an hexis; an habit of response established in the individual character (1106a12). A virtuous disposition, i.e. a proneness toward excellence in moral conduct, is acquired through the repeated performance of appropriate activity. Excellence of function requires the avoidance of inappropriate responses to stimuli. Thus virtue seeks the mean between excessive and deficient response (1106b27). The mean regards human emotion and action (1106b17). As the appropriate response, the mean is “defined by a rational principle, such as a prudent man would use to determine it” (1107a1). Phronesis, i.e. practical wisdom, is required to direct action “toward the right objects, at the right time, toward the right people, for the right reason, in the right manner” (1106b20). The mean is not simply the midpoint between extremes, rather it is relative to the character of the individual and the particular situation which prompted the individual to respond with emotion or action. For each moral situation there is only one response which is appropriate for each individual. This response is at once an excellence in conduct and a mean between extremes. Virtue is not a proneness to mediocrity, it is the full flourishing of proper human function relative to the contingencies of the individual (1107a6).
    According to Aristotle, there are three common causes of moral error in regards to the proper emotional response to morally significant phenomena. The first is poor habituation; if a girl is “not brought up to feel pleasure and pain in the proper things” her capacity for proper feeling may be irreparably damaged. Corrupt habituation may become incorrigible, and may only be addressed through enforced alteration of response (via sanction or strength of will). The second error is the result of ignorance. One may have false beliefs concerning the particulars of a situation, causing her to respond improperly. This error can be addressed simply by being made aware of the truth. Finally, error may be due to lack of practical wisdom, and may be addressed by appeal to someone more prudent.
    Can this ethical system adequately account for emotions such as anger? Aristotle calls the virtue with respect to anger mildness (praotes) which is the mean between the excesses of apathy and short-temper. He defines anger as “an impulse, accompanied by a pain, to a conspicuous slight directed without justification towards what concerns oneself…always felt towards some individual”(Rhet.1378a32).  The emotion manifests certain components. First, there is the pain, or physical affect. Then, the standard of what is important and valuable. Thirdly, the perception that something valued has been damaged, slighted or treated unjustly. I will test the adequacy of this virtue theory by way of the following example.
    Meno has just been told that Zeno has harmed his son. This stimulus provokes a feeling of anger, immediate pain at the thought of something valuable to him being harmed. Meno’s moral disposition causes an impulse to grab his spear and seek out Zeno. His rational judgement assents to the course of action based on the belief that Zeno s a cad, his source of information is honest and accurate, and the law of Athens justifies such action. Finally, he acts, killing Zeno.

There are many points in this decision process for error. His initial feeling of anger may be helplessly flawed by sufficiently poor upbringing. For example, if Meno were one of Plato’s Auxiliaries he would be apathetic to reports of harm to ‘his’ son (Pol.1262b15). Next, the initial impulse arising out of his character may be vicious. In the virtuous man, the immediate impulse triggered by emotion will concur perfectly with the rational judgement of the prudent man. Then, his perception of the situation could be in error (e.g. his son was not really harmed, or was harmed by someone else). Meno could be lacking in prudence, thereby assenting to improper impulses, or over-riding proper impulse due to a mistaken conception of right action (e.g. Stoic apathy).
    The moral agent comes into any situation with a certain character as the result of prior habituation and education. He thus has a disposition in regards to various emotions. A situation occurs. The agent is affected based on a set of value beliefs, and his perception of the occurrence. His perception is affected by how his character is disposed to the emotions, for it precisely the emotions which alert the agent to the moral import of the occurrence. The emotions respond to the occurrence with a feeling of pleasure or pain, and motivate the agent toward some end. He must then bring reason to bear upon that end, either affirming or denying its appropriateness, and then, if appropriate, deliberating a possible means to that end. A choice is then made, and action initiated.
    It seems Aristotle’s theory of virtue can adequately encompass dispositions toward emotion if one is willing to accept certain premises. First, improper education and upbringing can render some incapable of virtue (e.g. the vulgar laborers in the Politics). Second, that emotional impulses can be rationally self-assessed prior to action (e.g. self-reflective moment of decision between the painful anguish and the outpouring of tears and lamentations). Thirdly, that there are at least some accessible wise men with knowledge of proper human conduct. And finally, that the repetition of prudent action in conflict against improper emotional impulses will serve to moderate and alter such impulses.
    It also appears that moral virtues are the perfection of proper response to emotional stimuli. They are required to properly assess morally significant situations. Poorly developed passions result in distorted perception of moral phenomenon.  Good character enables the agent to be ‘affected’ properly. Moral strength is needed to correct misperceptions caused by poor inculcation of character. Habitual correction should result in the eventual attainment of virtue. Finally, the virtuous man will respond by his emotions urging him to proper ends, and his practical wisdom determining the best means.

Yasha wrote:

With all of that in mind, doesn't that mean that in each society, all virtuous men would react roughly the same way to the same things? The societal difference seems to be the only difference in reaction, because different societies would create different definitions of what was prudent. I seem to recall you saying that Aristotle's virtues were not relativistic-- does this mean that by Aristotle's view, entire societies could be lacking in virtue?

(also, maybe we should make a new thread for this...)

Edit: Ahahaha, that avatar even looks like you emot-biggrin

orpheus wrote:

...start a new philosophy thread and I will explain whatever philosophical theories you care to investigate (except Ayn Rand).

As for moral relativity, Aristotle is trying to bridge the gap between universal human nature and radically different cultural frameworks. WHAT is morally good is universally grounded in the shared horizons of human flourishing, HOW moral goodness manifests depends on cultural context (gender, political affiliation, language, etc).

satyreyes wrote:

morosemocha wrote:

^ ^ ^ ^ Yeah, okay, now can someone translate that into stupid-ese for me? emot-aaa

Sure!

Virtue is moderation.  When a virtuous man's emotions are aroused, they arouse him to the moderate course of action.  You can also have a nonvirtuous man whose emotions would lead him to extremes, but whose "moral strength" is great enough to bring the man's actions in line with moderation.  You become virtuous by exercising this "moral strength" until, over time, your emotions align with moderation.  In other words, fake it till you make it.

Whaddayasay, prof?  Do I get an A?  Or do I get points off for not mentioning what happens when the agent doesn't have his facts straight?

orpheus wrote:

"fake it until you make it"...lol...nice.

Consider, by analogy, learning to speak french. You learn by making french-like noises, without any sense that what you are saying is correct. You just keep mimicking the noises, and eventually, you develop a sense of speaking-french.
With virtue, we all have the ability to develop our emotions into virtuous motivations, but rarely ever have the commitment to become virtuous. Thus we can know what is morally, but not do it, because we have not trained our emotions to 'want' to be moral.
We become just by acting justly when we are not.

And for specifically Nietszche, check in here!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#2 | Back to Top05-28-2007 03:00:19 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Philosophia

Yasha wrote:

orpheus wrote:

"fake it until you make it"...lol...nice.

Consider, by analogy, learning to speak french. You learn by making french-like noises, without any sense that what you are saying is correct. You just keep mimicking the noises, and eventually, you develop a sense of speaking-french.
With virtue, we all have the ability to develop our emotions into virtuous motivations, but rarely ever have the commitment to become virtuous. Thus we can know what is morally, but not do it, because we have not trained our emotions to 'want' to be moral.
We become just by acting justly when we are not.

I'm just thinking out loud here because this keeps coming up in my life lately. This relates to something I see a lot in psychology. People seem to think that the 'self' is unchangeable, when really, most modes of expression and states of being seem to me to be habits formed by long use. If someone is accustomed to seeing events in life in a pessimistic way, it doesn't necessarily mean that person is a pessimist. It means just that they've trained themselves to be one, and it can be untrained as easily (emot-rolleyes easy yeah okay). This seems very similar to the development of moral habits, in that you're not naturally assumed to be a moral person. You have to learn it through long practice and trial and error. Just as someone isn't necessarily courageous to start with, anxiety or cheerfulness are also not necessarily components of the core personality, but rather habits of thinking developed by years of use.

(Please excuse slow replies, I'm at work emot-smile )

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top05-28-2007 03:50:41 PM

orpheus
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

A good example in our culture is SHYness. Many people treat this debilitating condition as though it were a naturally occuring phenomenon. According to Aristotle, it is a developed habit of the Self. It is a vice insofar as it impedes flourishing. Unlearn it. And you conquer shyness by acting as if you were outspoken (and that is too painful for most shy people to attempt).

#4 | Back to Top05-28-2007 05:15:49 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I've never read much Aristotle, but I'm thinking maybe I should...he sounds surprisingly behaviorist.  As something of a behaviorist myself, unless I'm confusing my psych again, it's been a while...anyway, I second what Yasha said.  I know it's worked for me.  In the past, I have been a very depressed person.  That may have just been a high school thing, but what snapped me out of it was practicing smiling and telling jokes.  Seems pathetic, maybe, but it worked.  These days, people are always commenting on my cheerful attitude.  Is this some ruse?  Am I just duping them, and myself?  You could look at it that way, and when I try to encourage my friends when they're down, I occasionally get that kind of response, but if I'm the one that's happy, then who is the joke really on?

I've shied away from Aristotle in the past because I have the feeling that he's difficult to read.  I've been pretty thoroughly spoiled by Nietzsche.

And welcome, Professor Orpheus!  I really look forward to having debating philosophy with you.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top05-29-2007 12:35:52 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I have an Aristotle question!

Though there's some of both in me, I'm more of a scientist-type than a philosopher-type.  By that I mean that my opinion about the truth of a generalization is informed by evidence more than theory.  (For instance, I can appreciate the beauty and elegance of the Lamarckian theory of heredity, but evidence shows that it is a bad model for biological evolution.)  Now, let's use evidence to consider the Aristotelian proposition that you become virtuous over time by acting virtuous, like learning a musical instrument.  (This is what I called "fake it till you make it.")  What would Aristotle (one of the first great scientific thinkers himself, as I understand it) say to the following facts?

- Recovering smokers and alcoholics report that their cravings do not decrease in strength with the passage of time; rather, abstinence is a virtue they must always be conscious of practicing.  This is true even long after any drug-induced hormonal changes have corrected themselves (and given the hormonally mediated nature of anger and many other Aristotelian vices, I'm not sure it would matter if it weren't).  Ditto for diabetics and sugar, dieters and cake, Gamblers Anonymous members and slot machines, etc.  If Aristotle is right and behavior affects attitude rather than/in addition to vice versa, why is this so?

- Thousands, perhaps millions, of closeted homosexuals find that acting heterosexual does not change their inwardly felt orientation.  This doesn't directly have to do with virtue, of course, but it does challenge the "fake it till you make it" proposition.  Is preference about a sexual partner different from preference about a course of action?

- I know that kicking dogs is wrong, so I don't do it.  But geez, when my dogs misbehave, sometimes I really feel like kicking 'em.  If Aristotle is right, shouldn't I have long since stopped wanting to kick my misbehaving dogs?

Last edited by satyreyes (05-29-2007 12:38:03 AM)

#6 | Back to Top05-29-2007 06:44:22 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Well, Aristotle was pretty sharp, but it's unlikely that he had any real concept of brain chemistry.  Nowadays, we know that some parts of the brain are more malleable than others.  Drug cravings, in particular can be pretty intractable.  On the other hand, they can go away, too.  Drug use among American soldiers in Vietnam was very prevalent, but when they got back to America, most felt no further desire for them.  Sexual orientation is known to be pretty intractable, sort of like having two arms.  It's not a question of habit so much as a fact of your existence.  As far as kicking dogs goes, you don't actually do it, so the behavior is a matter of habit, just not the desire.

Another thing Aristotle might not have known about was the way the human brain develops and solidifies over time.  Personality types are pretty intractable past the age of 19 or so, some say younger.  It's sort of like Newton's idea of inertia, which Aristotle also probably didn't know.  If you keep applying force in a particular direction, it becomes harder and harder to change course.  The same goes for an increase of mass.  With humans, older personalities seem to have more "mass", and so require more force to redirect.  It's still possible in some cases, but it's much easier with younger people.

I just woke up, so I don't even know if that was coherent, and I certainly don't know if it jibes at all with Aristotle, those are just my random thoughts.  And kicking dogs isn't wrong.  Dogs are built tougher than humans, and respond well to systematic physical discipline.  The systematic part is real important though.

-Truck North

#7 | Back to Top05-29-2007 09:25:39 AM

orpheus
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Nice insight Satyr....I have to admit, you have put your finger on the problem I have with Aristotelian Ethics based on my personal experience, and also on of the main criticisms the Stoics and Epicureans levelled against the Peripatetics.

Now, Aristotle DOES mention some of these problems in Bk VII of the Nichomachean Ethics, but I do not think he is aware of the depth of the problem.

Aristotle claims that some vice can become so thoroughly habituated that it goes from vice to 'incorrigibility.' Incorrigible character flaws are so deeply ingrained that the person cannot improve them by his own choices. So, Aristotle advocates coercive measures as the only means for alleviating such defects (punishment, coercion, social disapprobation, etc)

Aristotle goes on to claim that homosexual behaviour can result from distinct underlying conditions. In the case of someone with homosexual feelings that never subside, he thinks that they will never be happy, since the condition is 'morbid' and incorrigible....he considers it a mental illness. So in order to live a full life you have to act heterosexual, but this will not result in character development, simply reduces the impediments to flourishing that giving into such 'unnatural' feelings would result in. Those who simply enagae in homosexuality through boredom, curiosity or molestation can be 'cured' through habituation, but are then also blameworthy for their indiscretions in a way that the former case is merely pitiable (though unpardonable).

I think what Stormy says is probably right...Aristotle misunderstood the degree to which habits formed at younger ages are harder (if impossible) to change. He show some signs of this dawning upon him when he discusses language learning (and his reasons for thinking construction workers, through a life of hard labour can reach a point at which nobility is no longer open possibility for them).

My personal experience is that I worked for many years for perfect the element of sexual desire in myself. After twenty years faithful to one woman it is just as tempting now as it ever was.....virtuous behaviour has NOT resulted in a honing of the underlying emotional response.  : (

But, maybe there is a counter from Aristotle.... moral development requires not just the action, but the commitment to the developed ideal, and the desire to become that person. Perhaps I am too fond of my lecherous proclivities to ever let them entirely pass away....

#8 | Back to Top05-29-2007 10:36:07 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Perhaps Aristotle would have benefited from the idea of a hardware/software distinction?  Certain proclivities are hardwired and not subject to conditioning.  I also detect in what I've read here a black/white moralistic dualism that always seems to muddy the waters of behavioral science.

On a related subject, I've heard that Aristotle wrote a book on comedy.  Is this true?

-Truck North

#9 | Back to Top05-29-2007 11:49:27 AM

orpheus
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

That is one of the key plot devices in "The Name of the Rose"...lol
but seriously, Aristotle wrote a book on literary criticism called 'Poetics'...in that book he claims that he will discuss Tragedy, Epic Poetry and Comedy....but the part on Comedy is missing....did he not finish the book? Is there a piece missing? Did evil Dominicans hide it, and poison its pages to preserve the solemnity of art?
He deals with comedy quite a bit in the Ethics (under his discussion of wit) and in the Rhetoric, in which humour is discussed as a form of persuasion....but no surviving copy of Aristotle's work on Comedy exists today.

#10 | Back to Top05-29-2007 01:06:42 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

Drug cravings, in particular can be pretty intractable.  On the other hand, they can go away, too.  Drug use among American soldiers in Vietnam was very prevalent, but when they got back to America, most felt no further desire for them.

If anything, I'd regard this as further evidence against Aristotle's claim!  Behaving in a drug-seeking way ought to condition drug-seeking emotions.  The Aristotelian prediction would be that the soldiers would experience cravings when they got home, but that the cravings would go away after the soldiers fought them off for a while.

As far as kicking dogs goes, you don't actually do it, so the behavior is a matter of habit, just not the desire.

But per Aristotle, the desire should follow the behavior.

Another thing Aristotle might not have known about was the way the human brain develops and solidifies over time.  Personality types are pretty intractable past the age of 19 or so, some say younger.  It's sort of like Newton's idea of inertia, which Aristotle also probably didn't know.  If you keep applying force in a particular direction, it becomes harder and harder to change course.  The same goes for an increase of mass.  With humans, older personalities seem to have more "mass", and so require more force to redirect.  It's still possible in some cases, but it's much easier with younger people.

Very true, and (as orpheus pointed out as well) Aristotle might have gained from considering this emot-smile  The inertia analogy is interesting.  Worth pointing out, though, is that by the Laws of Motion, it might be very hard to stop an object with sufficient inertia, but it is not hard at all to slow it.

#11 | Back to Top05-29-2007 04:14:50 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Well argued, satyr, I must accept your reasoning. <bows>

Maybe I won't bother reading Aristotle after all.  Who am I kidding, there was no chance I was going to anyway!

I asked about the comedy thing mostly because I find it really funny when philosophers discuss the theory of humor.  I've read a couple of things Kant had to say on the subject, and laughed out loud emot-biggrin.

-Truck North

#12 | Back to Top05-29-2007 04:24:42 PM

mefisto767
New Student

But are all our actions determined by reason? I think that biological drives comprise a good part of our psyche for example the need to eat, to increase the genetic variation of our population, the response to stress in difficult situations, etc.

Not all our actions are 100% logical and aligned to reason and for extension to ethical behavior. The arete which Aristotles so vehemently exposes I think is only a conditioning of the mind to control our biologic drives and impulses thorough repetition and internalization. This conditioning is faulty when the biological component interferes with the normal workings of the mind (drugs anybody?).

To me the cultivation of Virtue in aristothelian does not eliminate the problem or promotes ethical behavior per se it is only a change of focus.

The problem with people is that they don’t look at the big picture. Eventually, we’re each going to die, our species will go extinct, the sun will explode, and the universe will collapse. Existence isn’t only temporary, it’s pointless! We’re all doomed, and worse, nothing matters!

Calvin

#13 | Back to Top05-30-2007 11:04:29 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Wheee, I'm going to make a stupendous ass of myself now by jumping into a discussion on a subject I know nothing about. Forgive me orpheus, I promise I cook better than I philosophize. emot-keke

satyreyes wrote:

As far as kicking dogs goes, you don't actually do it, so the behavior is a matter of habit, just not the desire.

But per Aristotle, the desire should follow the behavior.

Couldn't kicking the dog be a virtuous act if it's the best possible way to encourage proper conduct? The dog is (we're assuming for argument) not capable of virtue for virtue's sake, and it sounds like Aristotle endorses forced virtue if willing virtue isn't possible. Judging by Meno and Zeno, nonviolence definitely isn't a requirement anyway. Now there are other ways to train dogs that don't use violence, or at least such severe violence. But are they necessarily more virtuous? Violence is the dog's native language; in the wild, the social structure necessary to their survival relies on violence and domination. Might there be something to be said for speaking the native tongue, or is virtue decided by our standards instead, which tend to favor less violent approaches?

Aristotle says you should seek the counsel of a virtuous man if you are unsure yourself, so I'm assuming that means a virtuous man has some duty to help those less virtuous than him. Wouldn't his approach to this vary depending on who he is dealing with? Advising someone who is on the fence about a problem but clearly capable of reasonable action would be a different beast entirely from forcibly steering someone with an incorrigible flaw in the direction of virtue. Of course, he also seems to think these are lost cause cases...would such force be proper in the name of maintaining a larger social structure or is it the right thing to do for the individual to force virtue on them?

satyreyes wrote:

Very true, and (as orpheus pointed out as well) Aristotle might have gained from considering this emot-smile  The inertia analogy is interesting.  Worth pointing out, though, is that by the Laws of Motion, it might be very hard to stop an object with sufficient inertia, but it is not hard at all to slow it.

In practicality, whether an object is in motion also depends on the frame of reference. A ball sitting on a carseat while the car is moving isn't in motion if the frame of reference is the inside of the car. Expand it to the city limits and the ball is in motion. It takes a lot less force to slow to a near stop the motion of my craving for a cheeseburger if the frame of reference is the inside of a car, where there's no cheeseburger. Expand it to the city limits, so there's a fast food place on every block, and the speed of my craving for massive gluttony is much harder to slow. But an object that's not in motion will stay that way with no force to act on it, so if the force of a temptation to non-virtuous acts is never presented, that ball will never start rolling. But how can you consider virtuous someone who has never had to decide against non-virtue?

...I just successfully raped philosophy and physics and totally confused myself. emot-gonk

Ask me about pasta fagioli. school-chef A woman's place is in the kitchen, not the School of Athens!

vvvv How can you say 'outside of the Bush administration'? The Bush administration is the very definition of absolutist. emot-frown

Last edited by Giovanna (05-30-2007 11:23:50 AM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#14 | Back to Top05-30-2007 11:18:35 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Ask me about pasta fagioli. school-chef A woman's place is in the kitchen, not the School of Athens!

fagi-whaty?emot-wink

Don't know for sure about Aristotle, but he may have agreed with Kant that there was no such thing as moral ambiguity.  Kant claimed that it was impossible to have to choose between two moral necessities, because moral necessities never conflicted.  Aristotle sounds like an absolutist, too.  Speaking for myself, I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard outside of the Bush administration, but there you are.

-Truck North

Board footer