This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top09-12-2013 06:50:45 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: It looks like this is my lucky day! I'll take "The Rapists" for $200.

crystalwren wrote:

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Miki's just a snail in a pencil box.

Holy crap that's chilling. And accurate.

Too accurate.
Nanami being restless in my hobby farm?  Let's have her do cow moo-moos in front of all her peers.  Or, how about making her lay an egg?
Kanae being restless? Let turn her into a living vegetable.
That's the kind of deities/monsters that the siblings really are.

Satyreyes wrote:

I don't think he's under any illusion at this point that the Champion Duelist might survive by giving in to Akio's advances.  The Champion Duelist is toast.  That's why he's dueling Utena: he's trying to save her (against her will) even at the cost of his own safety.  In other words, he's trying to be a prince.  He's being a chauvinist about it

I think it is worth noted that  the photoshoot comes soon after Touga's final duel to Utena, in which he was blatantly acting against Double A (even verbally warning Utena off them).  The photoshoot's dialogue as follows:

Ep37
Touga:  But, is this goodbye?
Saionji:  Sending a letter to say goodbye is "you" down to the last drop.
Touga:  So what do you intend to do with her?
Akio:  What do you mean, what do I intend?
Touga:  I can't imagine that Tenjou Utena would go through the Rose Gate.
Saionji:  She has no reason to.
Akio:  Really?
Touga:  She didn't want to become the one to Revolutionize the World.
Touga:  But you have her heart now.
Touga:  She chose you, a real person, over her Prince.
Akio:  The choice is hers. And she hasn't chosen yet.

Through it all, Touga is asking questions/making statements all seemingly trying to pry more info out of Akio's mouth.  With Saionji by his side doing the same (in a well-prepared, non-shocked manner), I do think the boys really wanna do the following things:
1) damage control aka pacify World's End through seduction/offering sex, so the latter don't turn hostile and immediately hurt Utena (or them)
2) pry info on what will happen to Utena in Duel called Revolution
3) try and deter Akio from forcing Utena through Final Duel - 'pleadingly', on Touga's part - stating that she loves the Chairman

And yes, I agree that Touga is a chauvinist to the end.  I do, however, think it is noteworthy that this chauvinist is now whoring both himself and his friend out not for gaining power, but for rescuing Utena.  Character flaws aside, it does say something about the magnitude of Touga's feelings for Utena, as well as the magnitude of Saionji's feeling for Touga.

As for Akio's feelings on the matter . . . they're all just pets/animals to him. It probably amuses him to see them go in heat thinking they could arose him, but he's certainly not gonna be tempted into sparing any one of them.  Thus why Touga still do not know what will happen to Utena in the Duel called Revolution in EP 38.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#52 | Back to Top09-12-2013 07:52:14 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I walked myself right into feeling so fucking bad for Miki with this thread.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#53 | Back to Top09-12-2013 09:26:46 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

I honestly believe that Akio and Anthy's relationship makes practically no sense if you don't realize they're immortal and have only been able to depend on each other for thousands of years. They're the only ones who understand each other and their history, the only ones they can act with on relatively equal footing, etc. If you were alone for eternity with just your sibling and a bunch of ignorant animals, you'd probably eventually screw each other. Something that awful seems pretty much a given in that situation.

Totally agree with everything about this part.

Frau Eva wrote:

I personally always thought that a sense of guilt over Anthy's swords is what made Akio eventually just blame her for everything just to save his own sanity, like a little kid who grows up in an abusive home and starts to hate the passive parent more for never standing up(aaaaaand then usually ends up abusive when he/she grows up....). The scene with Anthy in pain in the car and Akio screaming, obviously VERY upset and angry, insisting that her pain has nothing to do with him. Suuuuuuuuuuure......

There is definitely a sense of guilt stemming from his failure as man there (failing in protecting his sister/woman like a man should be able to do, that line of thought).  Though I do believe there were stuff happening that caused his view of Anthy to go from "the goddess who sacrificed herself for me" towards being "the witch who enjoys being the witch" (Ep 39) through their long falling of years.  It could be him seeing/sensing Anthy's once saintly character having corrupted/deviated into that of a 'dirty woman' (what she called herself on the suicide rooftop), much like how Akio knew himself to be no longer anything like the noble Dios once was

On the Ep 37 Double A car ride, my version of the show has the following dialogue:
"Does it hurt? But I'm not the one making you suffer.  It's the World."
There is a pained expression twisting Akio's features then.  I myself believe this is what make makes his statement to Anthy in EP 39 (I always feel your wounds, your suffering, with my own body) so effective to Anthy (in getting her to give him Utena's sword) - because however un-Dios-like he's become, her brother is still the brother who had been suffering her pains along with her throughout her godly long existence.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#54 | Back to Top09-12-2013 05:28:59 PM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Touga is much more ‘grown up’ than Utena is. Technically he’s underage, but we do not assign the same weight of wrongness to Akio’s sleeping with him, because whether we mean to or not, most of us seem to interpret Touga as much more consenting figure in the situation. He’s still underage, though, and by our own standards, it’s still rape. Or is it because he’s male that we give Akio a pass on that one?

I'm not sure whether it came through in my first post, but... I feel the exact opposite. emot-tongue

Anthy... Anthy I can't get an emotional read on.  I mean, a destructive relationship that goes on for MILLENNIA or what have you?  Yeah, that's really bad, I guess, but her response is just so weird that it all falls under the thinking category of response, and my thinking responses tend to be very, very mild and forgiving.  What's more, the last time we see her interact with Akio, she's telling him to take a hike, and that's awesome!

For Utena, Akio is pretty much a one-time thing.  Yeah, it's pretty bad while it happens.  There's no way I can watch that episode/those episodes without flinching.  But it's a mistake that she's essentially strong enough to recover from.  The last time we see her interact with Akio, she's shoving him in the face, and that's awesome!

And Touga?  Yeah, there's a few years difference.  But is he really that much mature?  He reads to me less as someone mature enough to consent to a considerably older partner and more like a kid in over his head and faking maturity.  And pretty badly, at that.  It took me a couple of watch-throughs, because we're used to the image of the "high school Casanova" in media. (anime especially, from what I can tell)  But a seventeen-year-old having casual sex with multiple partners at once?  Yeah, that's... really really troubling, and indicative of a high level of vulnerability.  And the last time we see him interact with Akio?  (If I remember correctly) He's brought a friend to a highly questionable photo shoot.  That's... terrible.  emot-frown

It really is sad when you put it like that. Akio gets comeuppance for his abuse of Anthy and Utena (as he bloody well should!), yet his abuse of Touga never does.

As for whether the fact Touga is male gets Akio a pass for what he does to him, I do believe that is a factor. At the very least, I don't see certain other parts of the fandom get up in arms over it like they do with Akio's other victims; in fact, some of them even seem convinced that Akio/Touga counts as "positive representation", which I... don't agree with at all.

There's also the fact that the relationship is just plain presented differently in canon. When Akio rapes Anthy, it's portrayed as something horrible, exactly as it should be. Ditto for ep 33. But when he's implied to do things to Touga, it's mostly presented as fanservice, and it usually takes some fridge horror to realise that there's something seriously wrong with that picture. Double standard? Who knows.

With regards to what Touga and Saionji were doing with Akio in ep 37, I've seen it speculated in another thread that Saionji was trying to protect Touga via presence, after having somehow figured out that his relationship with Akio was more fucked up than he first thought. So there's that idea.

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

Saying "yes" is not really the same thing as giving consent.  Consent is about saying "yes" when one is also reasonably able to say "no."  And I don't think that Touga is reasonably able to say "no."

I agree, and this comes back nicely to what I was saying about Utena earlier in the thread. Utena cannot say "no" because she feels intimidated by Akio, while I suspect Touga cannot say "no" because of his pride, which Akio uses against him. It's all pretty rotten.

Moving on to Anthy...

In ep 37, Akio wrote:

I think that's just Akio refusing to take responsibility for his part in Anthy's suffering. I also got the impression that he put all the blame on her from the start; he does describe the Million Swords of Hate as Anthy's "punishment for taking the Prince away from the girls of the world" in ep 34, after all. Instead of being most angry at the villagers who skewered his sister, as one might expect, he's more mad at her for disempowering him; I reckon that's how their whole abusive cycle got started in the first place.

#55 | Back to Top09-12-2013 07:26:39 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

MikoG wrote:

In ep 37, Akio wrote:

I think that's just Akio refusing to take responsibility for his part in Anthy's suffering. I also got the impression that he put all the blame on her from the start; he does describe the Million Swords of Hate as Anthy's "punishment for taking the Prince away from the girls of the world" in ep 34, after all. Instead of being most angry at the villagers who skewered his sister, as one might expect, he's more mad at her for disempowering him; I reckon that's how their whole abusive cycle got started in the first place.

Script from EP 38 reads as follows:
Akio:  For Anthy?
Akio:  I thought that she was a goddess who sacrificed her body for the one she loved, for me.
Akio:  I once thought so too.
Akio:  And she really might have been, once. But now she's a witch.
Akio:  And she enjoys being a witch.
Thus why my headcanon that something happened in their past to change his perception of Anthy.  Other interpretations might work too, of course.

With regards to what Touga and Saionji were doing with Akio in ep 37, I've seen it speculated in another thread that Saionji was trying to protect Touga via presence, after having somehow figured out that his relationship with Akio was more fucked up than he first thought. So there's that idea.

That sounds like an interesting idea.  I'm interested to know what exactly is Saionji trying to protect Touga from via his presence, being that they're both interacting sexually with Akio in that scene?

Utena cannot say "no" because she feels intimidated by Akio, while I suspect Touga cannot say "no" because of his pride, which Akio uses against him. It's all pretty rotten.

I suspect instead of "cannot say no", Touga is offering himself up sexually to Akio in hopes of sharing in the man's power.  If you ask me, the reason Touga go locked in room o emo for entire BR arc was because the idea that he could be worthless to Akio after losing against Utena traumatized and debilitated him.  Thus why when Akio again took up along in the car ride scenes, the power-desperate boy was instantly revitalized. 

As for Utena feeling intimidated by Akio, I have to ask. . . why?  Sure, he is the Acting Chairman, in a position of authority, but Utena is a spirited girl famous for slapping down/disregarding authority figures - thus why those many scenes of her openly dissing the Guidance Counselor and the Vice President.  What makes Akio more intimidating in her eyes, that she'd feel intimidated by him, but not the other teachers/staff at Ohtori?

#56 | Back to Top09-12-2013 07:49:09 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Here's a question: we see Anthy use sex and  her body to manipulate Akio, but unlike her brother, she only does this with the one person. Do you think she'd manipulate others in the same wayy if she had to? Or are the MOs of both siblings consistant regardless of target?

#57 | Back to Top09-12-2013 07:56:36 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

crystalwren wrote:

Here's a question: we see Anthy use sex and  her body to manipulate Akio, but unlike her brother, she only does this with the one person. Do you think she'd manipulate others in the same wayy if she had to? Or are the MOs of both siblings consistant regardless of target?

While Anthy's manipulation of Utena is all on the verbal/friendship level, her manipulation of Mikage (under Mamiya guise) does seem rather sexual (thus why the physical contacts and the "Bride suit you better comment in 1st BR Ep).  Plus I think on top of the exchange diary, it's reasonable to assume she must have done something sexual with Saionji to get him so obsessed with her on top of the 'eternity' comment.

#58 | Back to Top09-12-2013 10:08:33 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

crystalwren wrote:

As previously mentioned in the thread, if Akio and Anthy are aspects of the worst of men and women, so to speak, than Anthy's character might make more sense framed in a culture that expects and values submission from women.

She submits to everyone, even people she hates, and it's from a position of underneath that she stages her attacks. Utena would never do this--she'd just punch someone in the face. (And does.) That's reflected on differently by the show, and not necessarily in a good light, but in this Utena clearly wasn't supposed to represent the majority of women. Anthy has made more sense to me in time as I've exposed myself to more Japanese literature. A lot of the Japanese classics, especially if they involve relationships (and they often do), will have characters very similar to her in large roles. Females with vindictive personalities that attack from underneath to social structure they're held in. Conversely, a lot of the new female-positive literature deliberately breaks down these stereotypes. Strangely enough, though sex often features in these stories, I'm having a hard time coming up with one where sex is the primary attack the woman uses.

Having it be how Akio's offensive works is kind of a strange choice in the scheme of things, though. The 'obvious' choice of physical force to dominate women isn't really made to be his primary way of doing things. That's how Saionji exerts his will on the universe. And the show laughs at him for it. I kind of wonder if this isn't a cultural outlook built on a long history of physical/military force being not a great solution to some of Japan's problems. If Saionji's the stupid fighting samurai guy, Akio's the clever and refined politician of the Meiji Restoration. From a distance, the latter is no more effective and in many ways less respectable, but from inside the culture I can't help wonder how these two male archetypes are viewed. Akio is the consummate politician. It's hinted at with his (granted few) interactions with other adults, but a politician's job is to make people do things and think it was their great idea all along. He does that very well. If sex plays strongly in his approach, well, he's a horny guy, it's especially effective on youngsters just discovering their own sexuality, and it's one of the many things Akio seems to play at in an effort to appear more grown up than he actually is.

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Utena cannot say "no" because she feels intimidated by Akio, while I suspect Touga cannot say "no" because of his pride, which Akio uses against him. It's all pretty rotten.

I suspect instead of "cannot say no", Touga is offering himself up sexually to Akio in hopes of sharing in the man's power.  If you ask me, the reason Touga go locked in room o emo for entire BR arc was because the idea that he could be worthless to Akio after losing against Utena traumatized and debilitated him.  Thus why when Akio again took up along in the car ride scenes, the power-desperate boy was instantly revitalized. 

As for Utena feeling intimidated by Akio, I have to ask. . . why?  Sure, he is the Acting Chairman, in a position of authority, but Utena is a spirited girl famous for slapping down/disregarding authority figures - thus why those many scenes of her openly dissing the Guidance Counselor and the Vice President.  What makes Akio more intimidating in her eyes, that she'd feel intimidated by him, but not the other teachers/staff at Ohtori?

I always took his retreat after losing the duels to be exactly what he tells Akio it is later. He lost. This is a thing Touga Kiryuu Does Not Do. A spar here and there with Saionji, yeah maybe, but when he actually seriously wants it and applies himself? Never. Ever. Touga's hubris comes from a long history of success, and why wouldn't it when he's rich, attractive, smart, and knows how to bang four woman at the same time? Touga couldn't remember what it was like having to approach the world from the position of a loser with something to gain. He's always just groomed his own victory over battles no one really fought against him.

I actually agree that I don't think Utena is all that intimidated by Akio because he's in a powerful position or even because he's an adult. He's interested. He spends the whole BRS talking to her, listening to her input, reflecting it back to her, and giving her insight into her own way of viewing the world. No one else does that. Anthy doesn't ask her questions or help her understand her own thoughts. Touga doesn't either--she's flattered by his attention at times but the attention is not the same thing as what Akio is to her. Wakaba is a bubbly lovely little girl, but not the most introspective.

Akio makes her feel like she's deeper than she imagined she was. He establishes an intimacy with her thoughts and feelings and then attaches himself to that new found sense of self. He makes her feel important and interesting in a way no one else has, and she's intimidated by that. Because she's not used to it, doesn't know what to do with it, and is afraid he might find something buried that isn't what she wants to be. And he does. Similarly, sort of, Touga's most effective moments with her are when he edges close to things intimately important to her--that's when she's flustered and confused and a little scared. It's when he starts treating her like a lady that she shuts down, even though that's probably all that's needed with most of his lovers.

Frau Eva wrote:

I personally always thought that a sense of guilt over Anthy's swords is what made Akio eventually just blame her for everything just to save his own sanity, like a little kid who grows up in an abusive home and starts to hate the passive parent more for never standing up(aaaaaand then usually ends up abusive when he/she grows up....). The scene with Anthy in pain in the car and Akio screaming, obviously VERY upset and angry, insisting that her pain has nothing to do with him. Suuuuuuuuuuure......

This was always my take on it, too. By the time of the series it's buried beyond any recognition and certainly beyond any capacity to create changes in his approach, but Dios must have felt overwhelming guilt at what happened. And shame. Dios...saved by a woman? How is this the way of things? Perhaps, at first, it was in sex that Dios found a way to re-establish dominance and a sense of the hierarchy of things. After all it would be a natural development for him from the role he previously served. After all, in any prince story, what is his ultimate reward for his goodly acts?

Also the Miki being a snail in a pencil box jesus mind blown emot-aaa

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#59 | Back to Top09-12-2013 10:15:38 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Also the Miki being a snail in a pencil box jesus mind blown emot-aaa

No shit emot-aaa

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#60 | Back to Top09-14-2013 01:14:08 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Gio wrote:

He spends the whole BRS talking to her, listening to her input, reflecting it back to her, and giving her insight into her own way of viewing the world.
<SKIP>
Akio makes her feel like she's deeper than she imagined she was. He establishes an intimacy with her thoughts and feelings and then attaches himself to that new found sense of self. He makes her feel important and interesting in a way no one else has, and she's intimidated by that.

Supposing something this can actually constitute 'intimidation towards enforcing sex' a.k.a 'rape', then we have a lot, lot more ‘rape cases’ at Ohtori beyond those previously discussed in this thread.

But let’s focus on Utena's case first. 

There are maybe a few elements that we have to consider when discussing Akio’s possible ‘rape’ of Utena in Ep 33:

1)    Ohtori is not set in a culture where faculty/student romance is strictly taboo, or Akio (19 on id) and Kanae (18 on id) would never be publicly engaged
2)    Unless Ohtori is in Tokyo, Utena (14 on id) is not legally underaged for sex
3)    Utena knows Akio to be a highly sexualized man, as her first encounter of him is of him making out with his fiancée Kanae in Planetarium (90s Japan is a culture where pre-maternal sex is frowned up by polite society).  It is impossible for Utena not to know what means to spend so much time alone with another girl’s (taken, oversexed) fiancée right in that same Planetarium engaging in personal conversations.
4)     There's a scene where Utena regards Akio car strangely - like she recognize it as those showing on the dueling arena, and are associated with the World's End
5)    The hotel where the deflowering happened was one where they did not stay overnight at, thus establishing the fact it is likely a love hotel charging by the hour.  This means that Utena has followed Akio into a love hotel’s room, showers, changed into the bathrobes, plays chess, do stretches all the while holding idle conversation with Akio, before being naked and underneath him.
6)    Soon after the sex act, Utena suggests taking pictures with both Akio and Anthy, and goes with them to a play.  At no point is she shown recoiling from the man in fear or in awkwardness.  If anything, she is behaving in a manner that suggests she felt herself emotionally closer towards Akio than before.  It is only when Akio mentions her not taking off the ring – her attachment to her childhood prince  - that she tenses up  . . . but not enough to pull herself away from the man.

With all that said, is Utena actually a rape victim?  Or is she really a victim of seduction - to the point that she betrays her existing moral standards (going from 'hands off he's engaged' to bedding and then continuously dating him), and made herself willfully blind (refusing to see Akio as World's End until incest reveal)?

#61 | Back to Top09-14-2013 08:55:26 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Giovanna wrote:

If sex plays strongly in his approach, well, he's a horny guy, it's especially effective on youngsters just discovering their own sexuality, and it's one of the many things Akio seems to play at in an effort to appear more grown up than he actually is.

Great point. Akio is very comfortably wedged between the youth and adult worlds. He's older and more powerful than the high schoolers, but still young, cool, and sexy. And while he's comfortable navigating the petty politics and nepotism of the adults, he would much rather play hooky and drive around in his fast red luxury car. He plays around with adulthood like a useful tool and entertaining, just as he does the ideals of youth. But he isn't an adult. He's a child - sensual, curious, and completely egocentric - in the body of a magical gay porn star.

I kind of wonder if this isn't a cultural outlook built on a long history of physical/military force being not a great solution to some of Japan's problems.

Definitely a class issue as well. These are a bunch of bored, incredibly privileged, incredibly beautiful kids from elite families. They've had lifetime to learn how to impale a heart/ego without drawing blood. I think you noted that Saionji shows all of the signs of someone from a physically abusive household - probably not as affluent as the rest. Poor guy, stuck with all the passive-aggressives. He's the one character who wears his heart on his sleeve, leaving it a throbbing target for the rich bitches of the ruling class.

gorgeousshuttin wrote:

Supposing something this can actually constitute 'intimidation towards enforcing sex' a.k.a 'rape', then we have a lot, lot more ‘rape cases’ at Ohtori beyond those previously discussed in this thread.

I back up what a lot of people have said: if all this counts as rape, then seduction has officially expired. Still. Anyone up for my undeveloped prefrontal cortex argument=statutory rape argument? Utena is too young to make rational judgments? After all, the age of consent isn't purely random. school-freud

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#62 | Back to Top09-14-2013 09:14:22 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

gorgeousshuttin wrote:

I back up what a lot of people have said: if all this counts as rape, then seduction has officially expired.

Word X 100.

Still. Anyone up for my undeveloped prefrontal cortex argument=statutory rape argument? Utena is too young to make rational judgments? After all, the age of consent isn't purely random. school-freud

Remember how ancient immortal Double A really are, they're literally from a time when both men and women are married by the age of 13-14.

As for brain development and ability to make rational judgement . . . let's remember that a lot of girls and boys are already working as professionals in the high fashion and entertainment industry (see Disney stars) in their early teens.  Gemma Ward was already the world's most successful high fashion model at the age of 14.  Liz Taylor was already promoted as the world's most beautiful woman by age 15; reports say she was also courted by Howard Hughes, and turned the man down despite her mom wanting her to marry him.

#63 | Back to Top09-14-2013 09:14:48 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

Anyone up for my undeveloped prefrontal cortex argument=statutory rape argument? Utena is too young to make rational judgments? After all, the age of consent isn't purely random. school-freud

I'm having trouble wrapping my (perhaps undeveloped?) prefrontal cortex around a moral protagonist who is not able to make rational judgments.  If we don't let Utena choose her own sex partners, why should we let her choose her own clothing, her own gender role, her own reaction to the duels, her own disposition towards Anthy, etc.?  Are you saying that we can't ascribe agency to Utena at all?  Or is sex a special case as far as the prefrontal cortex is concerned?  I understand how sex can be a special case as far as socialization is concerned, but brain development?

#64 | Back to Top09-14-2013 09:21:07 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

satyreyes wrote:

If we don't let Utena choose her own sex partners, why should we let her choose her own clothing, her own gender role, her own reaction to the duels, her own disposition towards Anthy, etc.?  Are you saying that we can't ascribe agency to Utena at all?

I for one always see her as a spirited young woman with a developed mind, just like any other non-mentally-handicapped 14 yr old in the real world.

#65 | Back to Top09-14-2013 11:43:40 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

satyreyes wrote:

Are you saying that we can't ascribe agency to Utena at all?  Or is sex a special case as far as the prefrontal cortex is concerned?  I understand how sex can be a special case as far as socialization is concerned, but brain development?

Brain development is important insofar as it contributes to the capacity for judgment. I'm saying that the rationale behind the age of consent is that they're not developed to the point of making mature and capable decisions regarding sexuality, especially in the case of a significant power differential - at least in the eye of the law. Sex with a minor is perceived as thus perceived as exploitation under any circumstances.

I emphasize again that I DON'T, in my own personal view, believe that Akio raped Utena. Did he exploit her? Yes. He abused his power over a relatively immature person to manipulate her into sex. But in my view, she made a very conscious decision that played an intrinsic role to her development. To claim that she was forced deprives her of her agency.

That's my personal view, but I wanted to address why the age of consent exists and why the issue of statutory rape is debatable. In a topic rich with ambiguity and gray area, I think it's especially important/interesting to explore the logic behind the counterarguments.

Last edited by Katzenklavier (09-15-2013 12:00:54 AM)

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#66 | Back to Top09-15-2013 01:51:40 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I find that highly likely.  Finding out what was going on RE: Touga/Akio is what I suspect was up with Saionji when he went to challenge Utena all, "EVERYTHING IS FINE I JUST WANT TO HIT THINGS NOW AHAHAHAHAHA."  Something had him freaked the fuck out, and Akio and Touga were in the car with him.

I should probably put an edit on the post being like, "YES I KNOW THERE WAS MORE GOING ON IN THAT SCENE, JEEZE."  But on the other hand...

gorgeousshutin wrote:

That sounds like an interesting idea.  I'm interested to know what exactly is Saionji trying to protect Touga from via his presence, being that they're both interacting sexually with Akio in that scene?

Emphasis on "trying".  Not on "succeeding".  emot-gonk

I mean, Saionji's still just a kid, too.  And one we see easily manipulated, at that.  In a lot of ways, he's just as vulnerable as Touga.  Even if he has his shit together enough to realize that Touga's relationship with Akio is seriously screwed up, that doesn't mean he really has the power to do anything about it.

What's more, Saionji is doing his best to support his friend.  He tries to talk to Touga about the situation, but I get the impression that he realizes that fighting Touga on a decision either isn't going to do anyone any good.  Touga has his own reasons for fighting Utena, and for going to see Akio, and so the only thing that Saionji can do is to go along and hope he can do something helpful.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#67 | Back to Top09-15-2013 03:09:46 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

He plays around with adulthood like a useful tool and entertaining, just as he does the ideals of youth. But he isn't an adult. He's a child - sensual, curious, and completely egocentric - in the body of a magical gay porn star.[

(...)

Anyone up for my undeveloped prefrontal cortex argument=statutory rape argument? Utena is too young to make rational judgments? After all, the age of consent isn't purely random. school-freud

I think we're forgetting here, also, that the age of consent defined by a society isn't just about sex. It is, by merit of the agency bestowed when it's reached, the age at which a society thinks a person is mature enough to survive alone within it. And where it does concern sex, the question is more of whether a person is deemed old enough to deal with the repercussions of poor sexual decisions. That's a cynical thing to say, but the age of consent isn't exactly the border between tons of dangerous unprotected adolescent sex and totally mature condom-wearings consequence-aware college sex. emot-rolleyes The age of consent is a legal boundary in the most technical sense, but culturally I think most view it as the border between where a bad decision is societies/mom's/dad's/the education's system's fault and where it's your own damn problem so deal with it.

Approached from that point of view, it's not an age thing anymore, it's a maturity thing. There are definitely prefrontal cortex issues there. If you go the operations approach, Piaget's age of consent would land around 12, which is the entry into formal operations. The point where the ability to abstract realizes itself, and where a person is expected to take a general principle like 'unprotected sex is bad' and specify it to a consequence, 'it might give me STDs.' That's a very broad definition for maturity though, and misses finer points like the degree of abstraction a person is capable of. The problem is at what point do we all agree a person can handle information complicated enough to make very adult decisions? Some are ready for that at 13. Some aren't ready for that at 23. The prefrontal cortex develops more or less at an expected rate, but a person's ability to use it? That's a variable we have no way of enforcing laws or expectations in society around. The only way to make it work in society is to say 'you're not old enough for driving' because 'you're not mature enough' is much too difficult a thing to test.

Now given all that, is Akio any more prepared to consent to sex than Utena is? Probably not. As much as Akio and Anthy are ancient beings, they're both beings whose development has been completely arrested. Akio is a child in a man's body, full of the ideas a young boy would have about what adults should be like. He lives up to those, but that's because a young boy isn't seeing adulthood as balancing checkbooks, he's seeing it as fast cars and being a pretty cool dude. If anything, Akio's even worse. Utena expects to grow up. She anticipates it and works towards it and is aware of her own lack of maturity with regards to many things. Akio? He thinks he's already there when he isn't. Adulthood to him is exactly what he's made it out to be, with no surprises, and he doesn't expect any change or development from who he is to something more mature. He's a Peter Pan. What's truly unsettling to me about about that is the cynical way the show depicts him interacting with actual adults. They drink his act up, and admire him for things that aren't necessarily admirable traits for an adult to have. Children spend their whole span of youth waiting to become adults, but how many are really satisfied with it when they get there? Akio is easy for an adult to admire, because he makes being an adult look easy. Like we all thought it would be when we were children.

If maturity is how it's decided whether someone can make rational decisions, Akio's as hooped as everyone else on the show.  If the achievement of a certain age is that border, well, he does a bit better. That's how society would see it, too. If he left Ohtori and was hanging around in Tokyo, he would be assumed to have the capacity to make these complex decisions. That's the best we can do, but we know it's a faulty system. How many times have you dealt with a fully grown adult with their own credit cards, mortgages, and vehicles and thought 'Jesus this asshole acts like a 10 year old?'

satyreyes wrote:

If we don't let Utena choose her own sex partners, why should we let her choose her own clothing, her own gender role, her own reaction to the duels, her own disposition towards Anthy, etc.?  Are you saying that we can't ascribe agency to Utena at all?  Or is sex a special case as far as the prefrontal cortex is concerned?  I understand how sex can be a special case as far as socialization is concerned, but brain development?

I think we're, meaning to or not, differentiating sex because we're treating it like an all or nothing boundary. Clothing decisions, gender role, and reaction to outside forces are all things that are a development process. We expect girls her age to experiment with clothing, or change widely in how they react to their world. We even expect some experimentation with gender identity as a normal thing. We should be placing the same expectations on sex, because sex is also a developmental process. We're kind of not doing that because one minute she's LALALALA WHAT PENISES GO WHERE? LOL NO WAY and the next she's got one lodged in her girlybits. We really don't see any kind of healthy gradual development of a sexual identity. She goes from a childlike adoration of a hero figure to being a sexually active teenager. That wasn't healthy.

Granted, the show probably didn't have the means or permission to depict a healthy developing of sexual identity. We weren't, and shouldn't have been, shown scenes of her learning to masturbate, or even experimenting with friends. But more subtle signs? We don't get those either. Contrast her to Wakaba, who despite having what will no doubt be completely disastrous taste in men, is developing in a comparatively healthy sexual way. She has a crush on Saionji, it's childlike and she's completely smitten. That gets rather brutally stomped out...twice. Her next crush is Akio, and that one is much more healthy for a girl her age, and shows a development of perspective. She's attracted to him, but knows he's out of reach (for better reasons than Saionji was.) She still pursues him, badgering him into a drive in his car, knowing it was going to be the experience of being alone with an adult, a male one, that would be the adventure. Wakaba certainly did not think she would have sex with him, and I doubt she really would have wanted to. The flirting with it, so to speak, and the experimenting with the lead up to it, was what she was after. When she got it, and it was over, she savored what it was and moved on, knowing that this was not a life or death situation, and that Akio wasn't what she wanted to take home to mom.

Utena's seduction is especially jarring for us as viewers because not only is she not, to our minds, old enough for it, but she's just plain sexually ignorant. Kozue is younger and yet most of us don't really bat an eyelash when she walks off with Akio. Why? Because she knows what's going to happen. Whether she's cognitively mature enough for it or not, Kozue is not in any way ignorant as to how events may play out and what their respective roles will be in them. Utena? She thought she was going to deliver some roses.

Katzenklavier wrote:

That's my personal view, but I wanted to address why the age of consent exists and why the issue of statutory rape is debatable. In a topic rich with ambiguity and gray area, I think it's especially important/interesting to explore the logic behind the counterarguments.

Hellz yeah. This thread's definitely making me develop and reframe a lot of my views about Akio and Utena and Anthy. I haven't changed my mind about the basics, but the finer points are definitely shifting around. It's always good to see the other viewpoints from a place of them also being valid. It's one of the things I love about this forum. (Believe me, we think we're bickering but you should see how rape conversations go ANYWHERE else emot-mad)

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

What's more, Saionji is doing his best to support his friend.  He tries to talk to Touga about the situation, but I get the impression that he realizes that fighting Touga on a decision either isn't going to do anyone any good.  Touga has his own reasons for fighting Utena, and for going to see Akio, and so the only thing that Saionji can do is to go along and hope he can do something helpful.

Definitely a support situation. You do something hard, scary, you kinda want a friend by your side, even if they can't help you, even if they can't change how things play out. Saionji is, despite himself, actually a good friend, and probably insisted on going, because he knew damn well Touga wasn't going to ask for that kind of support. But he also wasn't going to refuse if Saionji invited himself. By that point, they've talked enough that whether he says so explicitly or not, Saionji can see Touga isn't happy with the position he's in with Akio, and going with him was really all he could do to help.

They are very much opposites and you wonder sometimes how they can manage to be friendly ever at all without tearing each other's throats out. But it's exactly that that makes them so fascinating. By the end, you know they really, truly are friends. Confidants for each other, people who see what the other is, has done, and forgives them for it. Saionji knows Touga's done manipulative, cruel things to him. He knows why. Touga? He knows Saionji beat on Anthy. And he gets it. Hell he probably sympathizes. They're two people who can see the absolute worst about each other from a distance because they're so unalike. But that distance is the perspective the other needs. It's really quite touching.

Touching. etc-saiowank Ahem.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#68 | Back to Top09-15-2013 04:14:37 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Saio and Wakaba was actually - sadly - one of the healthier romances in SKU. They had the potential and range to clear out the junkier aspects over time and were providing something the other (thought they?) needed.

And you know who fucked that up.

That's right.

It's a conspiracy, man! It's a fuckin conspiracy! Fox Mulder would have a stroke in Ohtori. (Dib. Heh. Dib in Ohtori is one of those reasons I'm glad I don't write fanfic.)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#69 | Back to Top09-15-2013 06:21:28 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

If we don't let Utena choose her own sex partners, why should we let her choose her own clothing, her own gender role, her own reaction to the duels, her own disposition towards Anthy, etc.?  Are you saying that we can't ascribe agency to Utena at all?  Or is sex a special case as far as the prefrontal cortex is concerned?  I understand how sex can be a special case as far as socialization is concerned, but brain development?

. . .  We really don't see any kind of healthy gradual development of a sexual identity. She goes from a childlike adoration of a hero figure to being a sexually active teenager. That wasn't healthy.

I couldn't agree more!  But what you're describing is not, as far as I know, a brain development phenomenon, but a socialization phenomenon.  As you point out, maybe for Kozue we could talk about brain development, because she has the sexual identity that Utena lacks, an unhealthy identity though it is.  But we wonder whether Akio rapes Utena because Utena is so sexually innocent (which is to say, undersocialized compared to the likes of Kozue), not because we think Utena has an underdeveloped brain that robs her of agency.  That's all I was disagreeing with Katz over.  The reason this is an important point to me is that if Utena lacks agency then SKU is not a meaningful story about choices, since people without agency can't make choices by definition.  By contrast, if Utena has agency but was seduced into sex before she was really ready, then the Apocalypse Arc is very much a meaningful story about choices, beginning with the fallout from her decision to sleep with Akio.

#70 | Back to Top09-15-2013 09:57:38 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

satyreyes wrote:

The reason this is an important point to me is that if Utena lacks agency then SKU is not a meaningful story about choices, since people without agency can't make choices by definition.  By contrast, if Utena has agency but was seduced into sex before she was really ready, then the Apocalypse Arc is very much a meaningful story about choices, beginning with the fallout from her decision to sleep with Akio.

Yes, that's pretty much how I see it.

#71 | Back to Top09-15-2013 10:38:07 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Gio wrote:

Akio is a child in a man's body, full of the ideas a young boy would have about what adults should be like. He lives up to those, but that's because a young boy isn't seeing adulthood as balancing checkbooks, he's seeing it as fast cars and being a pretty cool dude. If anything, Akio's even worse.
<Skip>
He's a Peter Pan. What's truly unsettling to me about about that is the cynical way the show depicts him interacting with actual adults. They drink his act up, and admire him for things that aren't necessarily admirable traits for an adult to have.

With possible exception of the Vice Principal, those adults who 'admire' him admires only his hot bod (yes, I'm including you, Guidance Counselor who admires the AC's 'sense of style').

But supposing Akio really is that childlike in mind, then couldn't it be argued that Akio is a victim of (repeated) sexual advantage-taking from both Kanae and Mrs. Ohtori?  These women both do blatantly coerce him for sex while putting themselves in a position of power over him (Kanae stressing her family spending huge sums on him, while her mom flat out states that he's nothing without the Ohtori Clan) . . .

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/12732-1/Series_ep30_192.jpg
Kanae (thought bubble): Inviting your sister's under-aged tart friend over to stay in your feeble attempt to keep my pussy at bay, huh?    See if I don't sic Mommy Dearest on you emot-mad

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/12736-1/Series_ep30_194.jpg
Mrs Ohtori (thought bubble):  19 yr old college stud son-in-law offends daughter by inviting under-aged tart over to stay overnight, night after night? emot-aaa  It looks like this is my lucky day! I'll take 'The Rapist' over the Planetarium for a 'talking-to' . . . school-devil

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (09-15-2013 11:18:44 AM)

#72 | Back to Top09-15-2013 10:53:38 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

But supposing Akio really is that childlike in mind, then couldn't it be argued that Akio is a victim of (repeated) sexual advantage-taking from both Kanae and Mrs. Ohtori?  These women both do blatantly coerce him for sex while putting themselves in a position of power over him (Kanae stressing her family spending huge sums on him, while her mom flat out states that he's nothing without the Ohtori Clan) . . .

I don't know about Mrs. Ohtori, but Kanae doesn't seem to be quite aware of how childlike his mind might be. Although she does describe him as childlike in some ways, she also seems to view him as more mature than herself, in a way. I'm too lazy to re-check right now, so I'm just going by my memory, but that's more or less what she says in her elevator-scene.

(While we're on the subject of Kanae, I like to think that Akio just can't get it up unless the sex is taboo enough. Which is why he has little interest in Kanae that way. emot-tongue )

#73 | Back to Top09-15-2013 10:59:15 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

(While we're on the subject of Kanae, I like to think that Akio just can't get it up unless the sex is taboo enough. Which is why he has little interest in Kanae that way. emot-tongue )

Now, now pre-marriage sex/making out on its own is frowned upon by Japanese polite society in the 90s, so the compromising scene Utena and Anthy saw them in was indeed compromising.  Then again, canon Kanae is the kind of girl who's already complaining about Akio not spending 'enough time' with her like 5 minutes after making out with the guy.  Maybe Akio avoids her cause he's worried that she'd eventually drain him dry school-devil

#74 | Back to Top09-15-2013 11:42:58 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Lurv wrote:

Now, now pre-marriage sex/making out on its own is frowned upon by Japanese polite society in the 90s, so the compromising scene Utena and Anthy saw them in was indeed compromising.  Then again, canon Kanae is the kind of girl who's already complaining about Akio not spending 'enough time' with her like 5 minutes after making out with the guy.  Maybe Akio avoids her cause he's worried that she'd eventually drain him dry school-devil

Yeah, but still. ~Spending time~ with your fiance vs cheating on her with your mother in law... Or sex with students. I just don't think Kanae can measure up.

But yeah, Kanae's personality might account for it as well. emot-keke;

#75 | Back to Top09-15-2013 12:58:23 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Now given all that, is Akio any more prepared to consent to sex than Utena is? Probably not. As much as Akio and Anthy are ancient beings, they're both beings whose development has been completely arrested. Akio is a child in a man's body, full of the ideas a young boy would have about what adults should be like. He lives up to those, but that's because a young boy isn't seeing adulthood as balancing checkbooks, he's seeing it as fast cars and being a pretty cool dude. If anything, Akio's even worse. Utena expects to grow up. She anticipates it and works towards it and is aware of her own lack of maturity with regards to many things. Akio? He thinks he's already there when he isn't. Adulthood to him is exactly what he's made it out to be, with no surprises, and he doesn't expect any change or development from who he is to something more mature. He's a Peter Pan. What's truly unsettling to me about about that is the cynical way the show depicts him interacting with actual adults. They drink his act up, and admire him for things that aren't necessarily admirable traits for an adult to have. Children spend their whole span of youth waiting to become adults, but how many are really satisfied with it when they get there? Akio is easy for an adult to admire, because he makes being an adult look easy. Like we all thought it would be when we were children.

If maturity is how it's decided whether someone can make rational decisions, Akio's as hooped as everyone else on the show.  If the achievement of a certain age is that border, well, he does a bit better. That's how society would see it, too. If he left Ohtori and was hanging around in Tokyo, he would be assumed to have the capacity to make these complex decisions. That's the best we can do, but we know it's a faulty system. How many times have you dealt with a fully grown adult with their own credit cards, mortgages, and vehicles and thought 'Jesus this asshole acts like a 10 year old?'

My opinion? Akio isn't anything like a Peter Pan.

Akio's development isn't arrested. He's not a child god in the body of an adult. He's an old god who is keenly aware of both what children aspire to be and what adults wish they could be, and he behaves the way he does because it gets him what he wants.

This line "How many times have you dealt with a fully grown adult with their own credit cards, mortgages, and vehicles and thought 'Jesus this asshole acts like a 10 year old?" doesn't seem to apply to Akio to me. He has composure far beyond what a child typically has, even when faced with things that are contrary to his expectations or even his desires, and he usually deals with these situations in a very rational if Machiavellian manner.

This doesn't make him infallible, far from it. He still makes what most of us would consider to be poor decisions and his moral center is skewed from what we typically consider mature.

Of course, I see him in a much more unforgiving light than many in the fandom, so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Ashnod (09-15-2013 12:59:03 PM)

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

Board footer