This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-18-2008 01:09:44 AM

hollow_rose
Egghead

What is your favorite scene....

....in the series?

....in the manga (if you like it)?

....in the movie (if you like it)?

And why?

I promise will answer myself when I am more awake, I'm on Eastern Standard Time here and it's soooo late for me.....

20 threads dead so far.

#2 | Back to Top12-18-2008 02:24:43 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Re: What is your favorite scene....

Series:

When Touga confessed his love to Utena.

Manga (Adolescence Mokushiroku):

The consumation of love between Touga and Utena.

Movie:

Parting scene between Touga and Utena.

My reason is simply because I'm a die-hard Touga/Utena fan. etc-love

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#3 | Back to Top12-18-2008 03:00:44 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Seitokaichou wrote:

Movie:

I want that to be my favourite so bad. But I absolutely HATE how he swims away. His Touga feet, paddlin away. I love it so much, but then I see his Touga paddle swim, and I go NOOOO. emot-mad I can't think of anything else though, its certainly a love/hate thing.

In the show, I absolutely adore the shot where Dios gets on the carousel horse, and it makes the noise of a real one, as he starts to leave, while Utena opens the coffin. Stereotypical answer? Probably.

Or maybe in 35, when Utena's showing ChuChu hear earrings, and she turns to Anthy, and sees her silhouette go to hell. Yeah. That one's awesome too.

...Mine aren't really scenes, just brief animations shots.  Though maybe the play. I do like the play.

#4 | Back to Top12-18-2008 03:26:01 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

- Mikage's final scene, with him finally realizing that he was the one who burned 100 boys to death. Then he realizes Mamiya's deception and the picture frames crack and fall. It was a surreal, disturbing, and frankly shocking scene.

- Wakaba's Black Rose duel. Her speech was great because it was so very true, and her viciousness was refreshing and interesting.

- Juri appearing as if she's attempting to seduce Utena, then proceeding to rip her apart. I wasn't expecting it and it surprised me pleasantly.

- Utena's sex scene. It's one of the best-animated sequences in the series, and manages to feel so disturbing even when only showing Akio's hand and Utena's head and shoulders. Implication worked at its best there. The leftover feeling is so ominous.

- Touga finally coming to terms with the fact he has the ability to care for another, and his subsequent explanation to Utena.

Those are just some out of a long list of many.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#5 | Back to Top12-18-2008 07:25:18 AM

Esmenet
Tenjou Tilter

For the series? I can't pick one. There are too many!

For the manga: I've only read three volumes, but it has to be the scene with Touga in a towel. "Now that we're living together, you can see my body any time you want." ROTFLMAO material, and awesome. (Also because I'm a bit of a Touga/Utena fan. Hee.)

For the movie: the Toki ni Ai wa sequence. It's just so beautiful! I've watched it something like twenty times now. Though a close second is where Anthy encounters the student council on their own car and Saionji says "I'll be waiting to seduce you. *friendly smile*" That scene makes me go "Awwww" and get the warm fuzzies for some reason.

The bird is struggling out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world. [The bird is flying to God. The name of the God is called Abraxas.]

#6 | Back to Top12-18-2008 07:35:55 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

I have only two.

The first one is Utena's sex scene, as katzenlkavier said it. QFT.

The second(okay, and third) one is the shot of Touga on the floor when utena defeats him. The black shading
on his face really does it for me.

Subsequently, the scene two episodes later when Nanami opens the door to Touga's room and we see Touga angsting to the sound of his own recorded voice over his (granted, humiliating)defeat is one of the most hillariously lame moments in anime EVAR.

Last edited by P.D.M. (12-18-2008 07:37:16 AM)

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#7 | Back to Top12-18-2008 12:40:41 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

....this was my idea and I can't even pick just one!. *L*

Series:

The merry-go-round scene in the end, followed by Utena shoving Akio aside and doing it herself. I like the merry go round because its surreal but also captures the theme so succinctly. And Utena shoving Akio aside to me is her moment of really deciding she doesn't need her prince, she can do it herself.

Juri's last duel. It was so well done, esp. spliced in with her earlier duel with Ruka.

Kozue rescuing the bird. Totally not epic I realize, I just like it, I guess because it gives her character more depth. She's not just a bitch, she has her nice side too.

The scene in the church. It is creepy and surreal, really showcases the whole Touga/Utena/Saionji relationship.

Manga:

Miki kissing Utena. I like it because he has more of a backbone in the manga.

Juri stabbing the baseball. Because it showcases her general awesomeness.

Touga standing in the way of Saionji's sword, because unlike in the series, this is actually motivated on his part by a need to save her, not some carefully orchestrated manipulation (as it is in the series).

Movie: I'm going to have to go with the dance too, simply because it was so visually and musically stunning.

20 threads dead so far.

#8 | Back to Top12-18-2008 03:01:24 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Manga: Anthy breaks out the witch powers and stuffs people in glass coffins. And she looks so sad doing it.
Movie-manga: The end bit with the planetarium. So I'm a sap, sue me.
Movie: The 'art-class' bit. Weird, sexy, and kind of sweet.
Series: That moment in the last epsiode where Anthy finally reaches out to take Utena's hand...emot-gonk

Oh, and any scene with Juri in the shower. Or Juri and Shiori. Or both.
Yeah, I know, that never actaully happened. But I can wish.
*puddle*

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#9 | Back to Top12-18-2008 04:44:00 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Series : The end of ep11, after Touga wins the duel and Anthy happily goes to his side, leaving Utena utterly crushed. It's the most heart-wrenching scene of any anime that I can think of right now. I can't even think about it without getting a lump in my throat. It also reveals to us (and probably to Utena) for the first time just how deep Utena's feelings for Anthy go. Somehow it's even worse than the back-stabbing scene in the final episode, because by then Utena at least knows that Anthy is a dark and complex character.

Movie : midnight dance in the rose garden. emot-dance

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#10 | Back to Top12-18-2008 05:18:57 PM

MissKosmic
Juri Jeerer
Website

Oh It is very hard to say! I like the fountain scene when Juri goes off on Utena...it's unfortunate that scene didn't take a sexier twist.......most of Juri's scenes are good for me, personally. Although I dislike Ruka's character. I know, I'm blasphemous.

I can't help but love the scenes with saionji popping up in the background, spouting poetry and talking about his "secret love" just to be ignored or brushed off by the other characters. that gave me the best laugh.

I can't think of anything from the manga specifically, but I enjoyed the bit of backstory it gives us at the beginning, which the series lacks.

The movie... of course the scene where Touga drowns is beautiful but sad. I love the way they juxtapose Shiori's story with the scenes of Touga's youth. It's just brilliant. Plus it's a great animation sequence.
I like the scene where Utena throws anthy on the bed and the lights flick off. Not just because it's got sexy implications...it's a tense and carefully planned scene, it tells us a lot about anthy, utena, and the state of their relationship. I like the twist they took with the Utena character in the movie. I like that she finds Anthy tempting, even if she doesn't...yknow....go for it. I mean seriously....series Utena is just a little TOO straight for me.

I just about had a fan-girl-orgasm-heart attack the first time I saw how they changed Utena to have shorter hair and be somewhat more masculine in the movie. Short hair on girls (like kozue school-devil) is super cute.

oh no this post isn't very to the point....I etc-love every scene! etc-wankgirl

#11 | Back to Top12-18-2008 06:24:05 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

allegoriest wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

Movie:

I want that to be my favourite so bad. But I absolutely HATE how he swims away. His Touga feet, paddlin away. I love it so much, but then I see his Touga paddle swim, and I go NOOOO. emot-mad I can't think of anything else though, its certainly a love/hate thing.

LOL @ Touga feet, paddlin away. You're not alone actually. I was ready to bawl my eyes out until I saw that part; I sadly started chuckling before the tears could trickle down my cheeks. Seriously. emot-mad

Esmenet wrote:

For the manga: I've only read three volumes, but it has to be the scene with Touga in a towel. "Now that we're living together, you can see my body any time you want." ROTFLMAO material, and awesome. (Also because I'm a bit of a Touga/Utena fan. Hee.)

You win for mentioning that! poptart ROTFLMAO material indeed. school-devil And a quick hello to you, fellow Touga/Utena fan. *shakes hand*

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#12 | Back to Top12-18-2008 07:51:27 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Although I'm not a Miki fan, and I'm a Touga fan... I loved this little bit.

Juri:  Nanami-kun fought only to lose...
Juri:  ...just as Student Council President Kiryuu Touga had planned, right?
Touga:  It's regrettable that you see it that way.
Touga:  Since I always try to treat Nanami with affection...
Miki:  Like a pet cat?

In fact, I loved almost all of the diouloge in SKU.  It was just so edible.

Like this:

Anthy to ChuChu:  "This was yours and not mine, wasn't it?"

Just about every time Kozue appeared on screen was a favorite scene of mine.  So awesome... like, her casually screwing Touga in the piano room and then bumping into her brother, her remorse and loneliness, her duel scene, and then all the epically awesome things she said in "Miki's Nesting Box."

The part where Utena actually LOOSES to Touga!  I loved that, it made it feel so much more realistic.  Her fighting in the girl's uniform was one of my favorites in the entire series.

Touga and Saionji riding a bike together.  It was so bittersweet and sad.  Not to mention, how gorgeous the animation was in that shot.

Anthy and Utena... after Utena has gotten back with her date with Akio, and Anthy tells her how "All girls are like the rose bride."

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#13 | Back to Top12-18-2008 08:03:49 PM

Shinolala2
Forum's Favorite Mommy
Website

i would have to say the egg episode. i like the part when nanami is all going balistick over the egg and yelling at saionji.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c … D=35617207

if you have any rgu art request please do ask!
https://www.instagram.com/joyb0mb/

#14 | Back to Top12-19-2008 02:04:38 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Seitokaichou wrote:

allegoriest wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

Movie:

LOL @ Touga feet, paddlin away. You're not alone actually. I was ready to bawl my eyes out until I saw that part; I sadly started chuckling before the tears could trickle down my cheeks. Seriously. emot-mad

I wish it had gone from the kiss to her face into the solid wall crying. I really do. How I would have loved that so. ;___;

#15 | Back to Top12-19-2008 07:32:01 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

allegoriest wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

allegoriest wrote:

I wish it had gone from the kiss to her face into the solid wall crying. I really do. How I would have loved that so. ;___;

That would be a more painful sight though... but I couldn't agree with you more. ;_;

#16 | Back to Top12-21-2008 02:24:10 PM

Notebook Darling
Black Rosarian
Website

Series: That has got to be episode 25, where Akio loses a bit of his.. Akio-ness (?) and grabs Anthy.

Manga: Akio's pants.

Movie: Kozue & Miki's bathtub scene.

#17 | Back to Top12-21-2008 02:42:07 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Series: Anything involving Shiori. etc-love Her elevator scene is the best. It's just so full of raw passion. I also stand by the fact that her malicious face barely peering out of the chained door at Juri is the most heartbreaking sight in the entire series.

Movie: it has to be the dub's version of the Shadow Girls.

E-Ko: It's the headmaster!
F-ko: It's the headmaster!
C-Ko: Yes, it's the headmaster!
E-Ko: We were wondering where you were...
F-Ko: ...And it turns out you've been six feet under...
C-Ko: ...So we wonder how you died!
E-ko: If someone burried you after all...
All: ...Then who's the one who did this thing? Captain, captain, have you heard? Captain, captain, have you heard?

Manga: I really do like the different twist on the ending. And I love Akio and Utena's reaction to the blood, as if they'd never seen it before. It's actually very similar to Allegoriest's feelings on Touga's feet-- that scene in so emotional, and the fact that Anthy goes to Utena instead of Akio is really touching, but... she just has such a delayed reaction! Like, "What's this feeling? Why are my hands red? Is that blood?.... AAAUGGGHHH THE PAIN." Her face is just amazing.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#18 | Back to Top12-23-2008 11:04:46 PM

Rose Rust
Juri Jeerer
Website

In the Anime, Wakaba's Duel,  Shiori right before she pulls the sword out of Juri and when Miki kisses Kozue's forehead after her duel with Utena.
In the movie, when Anthy stands on the edge of the rose garden right before she is confronted by an angry Utena, when Juri is with Miki in the garage and Miki and Kozue's bath scene emot-wink
Why. I'm always eager to look into the romatic side of Miki and Kozue's relationship. It is no often you see Juri so vulnerable and Anthy is just so cameragenic you have to love it every time you see her actually thinking by herself.

Last edited by Rose Rust (12-24-2008 03:50:17 PM)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n231/jazzknh/thAnthyHimemiya.gif

#19 | Back to Top12-31-2008 01:49:11 PM

Esmenet
Tenjou Tilter

As I said, there are definitely too many in the series to pick one -- however, I've been watching bits of the last two episodes over and over lately, and I love love love the moment where Utena punches the floor, shattering her ring, and drags herself to her feet. (I wish all of Missing Link were like that one bit that plays right then. That song would be my favourite song EVER.)

The bird is struggling out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world. [The bird is flying to God. The name of the God is called Abraxas.]

#20 | Back to Top12-31-2008 08:54:58 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

When it comes to the manga I agree with dollface and for the same reason. For the series it's pretty much all of episode 34 where we hear different versions of history. (Anything with Shiori in it is a near-tie). For the movie it's the dance scene. And for the movie manga, it's any scene where Anthy speaks her mind.

#21 | Back to Top01-05-2009 02:08:45 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

My favorite scene is when Saionji's all like, "Waah, Wakaba!" Not only was seeing him cry funny, it made me fall in love with him.  etc-loveetc-love  A close second is Nanami's second duel. It's just so powerful and I really wanted her to surpass her previous self. I think it's the only time I was pulling for somebody besides Utena.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#22 | Back to Top01-05-2009 03:23:51 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

How can I choose? emot-dance

Series: The oh-so morbid and beautiful imagery of Anthy being stabbed by the swords of hatred has and always will be my favorite. There's just something about it that's so spooky and mysterious and creepy and ..well, symbolic, like the rest of the series. I just love it so much. Every time I see a picture from those scenes I have shivers going down my spine and it reminds me how much I love that show. Damn, that sounds kind of creepy.

Movie: The dancing lesbians scene, of course. etc-love So beautiful.

Manga: It's been a while since I read it, so I'm not sure. ): Probably when Anthy kissed Utena. The whole "marriage" ceremony thing.. the idea of the engaged getting married to reach the castle and revolutionize the world was just so cool. (I'm remembering this correctly, right?)

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (01-05-2009 03:25:24 PM)

#23 | Back to Top01-05-2009 04:25:02 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Manga: It's been a while since I read it, so I'm not sure. ): Probably when Anthy kissed Utena. The whole "marriage" ceremony thing.. the idea of the engaged getting married to reach the castle and revolutionize the world was just so cool. (I'm remembering this correctly, right?)

emot-aaa
So. Buying. The manga.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#24 | Back to Top01-05-2009 07:03:01 PM

pojypojy
Miki Molester
Website

*waves shyly* Well, it's hard to pick favorites, and I haven't made a thorough rewatch of the series (or reread of the manga for that matter) in a LONG time (will be taking care of it soon btw), so these favorites are most an off the top of my head thing rather than a well reasoned list :-D

Manga (regular, not the movie one): I loved the comedy bits in it, so I'll go with the Touga in a towel scene someone already mentioned, and the curry episode. I remember that cracked me up.

Series:
there are so many - I'm tempted to say all the implied and not-so-implied sex, tee hee. But since I just rewatched it - Wakaba's Black Rose speech about special people was really impressive. What with all the surrealism and the borderline relationships in the series, Wakaba kicks us back into reality with her (very relatable if you ask me) resentment over those who are just on a whole other league than her. I also found it interesting because, in a way, she's the first (?) to really question Utena's role as the hero of the story. Utena is sincere in believing in her "princely" values, she is brave and generous - but like most privileged people, she doesn't see the privilege. And sometimes that's the worst offense to those who aren't privileged (or if it isn't the worst, it's damn annoying).

Movie:
Okay, the dance scene wins. But I also like the elevator scene where Utena realizes Touga is dead. Aww, sad.emot-frown

#25 | Back to Top01-05-2009 11:22:49 PM

StarlightArcher
Miki Molester

My favorite moment of all time comes from the series, and I had to wait all the way to the end for it. I love the dialogue between Utena/Anthy as she pries the coffin lid off. It breaks my heart every time.

Anthy:  Who are you?
Utena:  I came to save you.
Anthy:  But, you're a...
Utena:  I came here to meet you.
Utena:  So don't be afraid of this world where we'll meet.
Utena:  ...Himemiya...Himemiya...Himemiya!
Utena:  Himemiya!
Anthy:  Utena...sama...?
Utena:  Himemiya...we finally...meet.

The image of Utena in tears as she finally reaches Anthy. The real Anthy, the vulnerable one who lives inside the armor of a coffin. As she finally reaches the girl who inspired her to become a prince in the first place. Yeah, I cry like a little girl every single time.

Why yes, I am made of Fabulous!

Board footer