This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-22-2009 03:36:43 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

What kind of car does Akio drive?

Taking a break from the symbolism it represents...
What kind of car is it that Akio drives? (or that it resembles most closely). Mainly because it's awesome, and I would totally save for a version of it, and I just curious. It does give off a retro vibe, and the red and gold doesn't help.
And also, if we could match other vehicles to the cast, that would be cool too. For instance, I say Touga should sell his bike for a red Honda VFR.

#2 | Back to Top07-22-2009 07:16:00 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: What kind of car does Akio drive?

Ah shit! We've covered this in one of the really older threads, but I can't remember for the life of me which thread it was. There was even a picture of the model itself in real life, complete with the paint job Akio's has. All I remember is something about "1954 Corvette Roadster" or somesuch. Suffice to say that the car Akio drives is not only real, but considered a classic amongst automobile collectors and enthusiasts.

...you know what, I'll bet Gio would know. She know pretty much goddamn everything even remotely related to Akio as it is, so if anybody on the forum would be the person to talk to, it'd definitely be Gio.

(Ya hear me, O Ends of the Forum? You should add an Akio Car subpage to LLOM!)

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#3 | Back to Top07-22-2009 08:15:57 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Other cars? I'd say either a '56 pink cadillac or a '98 blue mustang would be able to match up to the akio mobile, but I can't thnik of who to pair them with. How about the caddy for Utena, and the mustang for touga. Nanami needs something too...

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#4 | Back to Top07-22-2009 09:00:53 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Considering this takes place in Japan, I'd wager that just about every major character would be driving a Japanese made car. The reason I say "just about every" is because Akio's the exception and Touga would either want to emulate Akio or indulge himself with a Western-designed car.

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#5 | Back to Top07-22-2009 09:11:22 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Um, ohtori's kinda outside of time and space. I doubt they consider themselves japanese. Plus, there are extraordinarily few non japanese people in Japan. Where did they get the Indians? Or the European architecture for that matter.

That said, I'd love to see at least one of the cast members in something japanese. Maybe Saionji to fit my cultural heroes improvement idea. Like a incredibly suped up thing with ridiculous internal add ons and an ultra glossy paint job. Ooh, and some of the things in the interior could be really embarassing!

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#6 | Back to Top07-22-2009 09:20:05 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

1957 Corvette Roadster. You just missed one, apparently. emot-wink Top condition ones seem to run in the 100k-150k range, with much attention paid to the quality of the paint. Bruce Willis sold one for far less than 100k, but it was white, and no one liked that.

Also I'm pretty sure there were no car phones back then, Akio. emot-mad

BioKraze wrote:

...you know what, I'll bet Gio would know. She know pretty much goddamn everything even remotely related to Akio as it is, so if anybody on the forum would be the person to talk to, it'd definitely be Gio.

(Ya hear me, O Ends of the Forum? You should add an Akio Car subpage to LLOM!)

I'm like Akio's personal PR representative and secretary. Oooo etc-wankgirl

As for LLOM, I've actually even coded the page for that. The 'Absurdity' part was always a placeholder for a section to be called 'Machines', where I discuss the projector and the car and such. Frankly, updating the site is incredibly slow work. I'll admit, I just don't work on it lately except in monthly bursts of weekend activity. My life is incredibly busy, and ironically while I have the time and energy right now, I'm so wound up to get to Canada already (2 weeks!) that I can hardly pay attention to walking in a straight line. Seriously I'm so checked out of Florida I feel like I'm in a ghost town. emot-redface

PS. Akio's projector is a dumbbell design. These were the standard from the late 20's through most of the century, but any projector you purchased during the 50's would have been the design of Akio's. The state of the art ones today are spheres called starballs, which those of you who visited the Rose Center (AAHAHAHA) at the Museum of Natural History in NYC saw. emot-wink

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top07-22-2009 10:50:48 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Giovanna wrote:

I'm like Akio's personal PR representative and secretary.

Well shit, you're doing a better job of it than any other female he interacts with in the series. emot-dance Like Touga would be caught dead doing something like that to anybody but the Seitokai and (maybe) his floozies.

#8 | Back to Top07-23-2009 01:02:26 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

By the look of that car and the price emot-aaa , your in luck Gio. Akio is also a rich bastard, too. emot-dance (Like we didn't know that already, but DAMN!)
But...I mean..even if I didn't like SKU, that's one of the coolest cars...like ever. That's one of those things that never go out of style. This is one of the biggest symbolisms in the whole fucking series. cool

#9 | Back to Top07-23-2009 11:37:04 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

A Zeiss projector costs millions. And they're made to order, unlike 'vettes. The car is sexy, but the projector gets into my pants. emot-wink

That said, Akio saw fit to mod his car (LOL PIMP MY RIDE LOL) with a carphone and god knows what else. That's balls, you don't mess with antiques.

On the flipside, his planetarium is at least twice the size of any presently standing permanent projector rig. (There have been tent domes that have gotten quite large, but even so.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top07-24-2009 02:28:21 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Giovanna wrote:

That said, Akio saw fit to mod his car (LOL PIMP MY RIDE LOL) with a carphone and god knows what else. That's balls, you don't mess with antiques.

Well, he does let them drive through buildings and crash into walls and stuff. He seems to think they grow on trees. >.< Not to mention adding backseats and all. Hey, he COULD have a carphone from back then, just, with a phoneline trailing behind him ala evangelion.

Though people did these things back then too. Like everyone in 63 changing their split rear windows, which are now really rare.

For some reason, Chevrolet REALLY wants us to embrace red seats, as I've noticed an OBSCENE number with them. (I'm sadly guilty of this too. :gonk: )

However, changing the seats and all is SERIOUS BUSINESS. Generally, there's the theory that everything needs to be stock or restored. And then there's the group that wants pimped out. (I am of the restored group.) Driving the car is terrifying, not only for fear of getting it hurt, but most people CAN'T SEE YOU. And if you need to change a panel on the chassis, you can basically kiss its value goodbye. (Repainted varies from person to person.)

The main thing I've noticed driving up Corvette prices is who wants that exact car, which can be history, sentiment, novelty, and of course, the condition.
Like, if all of you were in an auction for C1's, You's all more than likely go after one red with tan seats. What the audience wants usually sells for the most at auctions and such.
(None of these people will drive these cars. And you can't blame them. Also, they're a pain in the ass. All up to the current ones. They're more a hobby that you can conveniently drive.)

Given the status of the car, you can get one really cheap. I got my C4 dirt cheap, cause it had been parked for years, even though everything was original. (WHAT KIND OF BASTARD FILLS A CORVETTE WITH BEES) He's also currently the least popular style. :( (Fortunately, was the one I wanted.) I fixed him up, and now have a gorgeous show piece, who recently turned a classic. (My baby's growing up!) Actually, I almost recently bought a really beat up, cheap C1, but I don't think its the time in my life to do that. Buu.

Actually, I can do better.

Meet Touga.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/leeness/Touga-3.png

Not really the Touga bike (there's something so... stickly about his.) but I dare you to get closer.

I sold him in highschool, Probably for not nearly enough, to a collector who shows him to the world. I'm glad people get to enjoy him, as I wasn't doing much with him at all. (He was also once in craptacular shape. I'm talking, my mom chewed us out for bringing it home bad shape.)

The shield on the sidecar is new and was put on by us, cause, seriously, you do NOT want to ride in that thing without it. (Yes, we had actually gone lots of places in him.) He was from the 30's and you actually had to kickstart him.

He also had the most comfortable seat in the world (soft leather and springy!) and possibly the most memorable start up growl in the world. I miss my Touga~

(Dios would have a golfcart. DON'T DENY IT.)

#11 | Back to Top07-24-2009 09:57:03 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

As far as a projector is concerned, the only one I can afford is that tiny sphere projector, which costs about 500$. But it's not that enormous to fill my room, and shows only the stars. No castles, sorry...

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#12 | Back to Top10-04-2009 06:42:52 PM

Cyrias
Tenjou Tilter

Other people may have said it better than I did, but either Akio drives a Ford, a (1990's styled) Subaru or in my eyes a Datsun. emot-rofl but it looks like a car that came out of the Seventies, so possible an illusionary pimped up 70's styled car. emot-keke

In lumine tuo, videbimus amor ('In your light, we shall love') Slippy slippery mambo~ everyone at Ohtori is in some kind of spiritual land, created by Goddess Anthy and her brother Akio?!

Board footer