This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-07-2007 06:02:29 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Akio and Nanami

Since I don't see this as mentioned before, I always wondered why Akio went after Nanami the way he did. As opposed to many other characters, he actually rather directly actively pursues her. Oddities of oddities. After all, there are a lot of students in distress at Ohtori, but Akio actually approaches Nanami with an "offer" to stay at his tower. He takes on the same brotherly manner that he does with Utena, as well as the old foot fondling, which is a pretty clear indicant of his intent to seduce. Inducting her into his little "family" and being something of a confidant.

It's a dynamic that always struck me as hilarious. Akio and Nanami. Really. So, any thoughts on why? Here are my ideas...

1) He wanted to aim a blow to assert his power further over Touga by taking away the attention of his greatest fan.
2) His own relationship with his sister would prove a valubale weapon in compelling Nanami to duel.
3) He's an opportunist and likes young virgins.

Most likely, a combination of all three.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#2 | Back to Top10-07-2007 06:15:07 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Re: Akio and Nanami

I'm going to go with the second. After all, at the end of her two-part saga, you see Touga and Akio discussing the ordeal. I'm pretty sure that Touga was in on this plan (to make her duel).

The third is logical, knowing Akio, but I don't really see it. You have a point with the foot touching, but Akio never really got close to Nanami the way he does with Utena, and definately not the way he does with Anthy. I believe that he's up for a little mind-fucking, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't pursue anything physically.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#3 | Back to Top10-07-2007 06:30:23 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Hey, if he'd go for Wakaba, I don't see why Akio wouldn't go for Nanami. She's much more attractive - physically and personality-wise (dominatrix anyone? emot-wink) - and even jail-baitier! emot-dance If I were him, I'd want her to be under the same roof as me too. Only I'd do something about it before she saw me fucking my sister.

Possibility two is really the most realistic in my eyes.

Also, Nanami is just special. She's the only duelist not to have been active since the beginning of the series.

It's probably not related to the fact that Akio got directly involved, but I see the Nanami project as an opportunity for Touga to be the one pulling the strings. Or at least, most of them. The sex-on-a-bed conclusion scene seemed to imply that the ruination of the poor girl's soul was her big brother's doing and not Akio's.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#4 | Back to Top10-07-2007 06:49:16 PM

Jellineck

You have a point with the foot touching, but Akio never really got close to Nanami the way he does with Utena, and definately not the way he does with Anthy. I believe that he's up for a little mind-fucking, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't pursue anything physically.

I think you underrate his status as a horn dog. In the grand words of Anthy, "My brother doesn't discriminate when it comes to girls." Plus, he refers to Nanami as a member of his harem. Then, he just happens to be there when she falls down the stairs and catches her. I agree that Akio does everything for an ulterior motive, but I think given the time and chance, he wouldn't refrain from seducing her completely. It might turn out well for manipulation as she'd feel like she's betraying Touga and, when you come down to it, he is a particularly cunning lustful predator rather than a machine with a penis.

Touga's influence, however, probably was the key thing. He probably asked Akio to give Nanami a place where she could stay. I see it likely, though, that Akio might take it one step further. What's really mind-boggling is how Touga would let his little sister into the home of a man he knows to the core. I mean, I get he's manipulating her, but jeez. Thus furthering my grand and highly philosophical conclusion that Touga is an asshole.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#5 | Back to Top10-07-2007 06:59:16 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I'm not saying that Akio wouldn't, per se, but from the short time she spends with him, I see no real indication of seducion or intent to seduce.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#6 | Back to Top10-07-2007 08:49:57 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

dollface wrote:

I'm not saying that Akio wouldn't, per se, but from the short time she spends with him, I see no real indication of seducion or intent to seduce.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

Ditto.  Furthermore, if Akio wanted to have sex with Nanami, he wouldn't let her walk in on him and Anthy.  I mean, sure, Nanami is young and impressionable, but she's still a Kiryuu; she has "normal" sexual mores, and he would've known that he had no chance with her once she saw that.  I'm inclined to think that letting her stay with him was all a power play to make her easier to manipulate.

#7 | Back to Top10-08-2007 05:52:20 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

he would've known that he had no chance with her once she saw that

Ah but wouldn't that make for quite the chase?

I think the bottom line was she needed to be there to catch Akio and Anthy, which was needed for her to realize what was wrong with her own feelings. I don't think his hitting on her really had any backing to it, it was more just a seductive creature doing what it does best; no real intent to make good on it, just a habit of behavior he saw no reason to restrain. He treats her rather stereotypically as a princess he must save. He might have been poking fun at her (and Dios) by treating someone he was leading to the slaughter like a princess.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#8 | Back to Top10-08-2007 09:05:36 AM

Jellineck

He might have been poking fun at her (and Dios) by treating someone he was leading to the slaughter like a princess.

Oooooh good wording.

It strikes me as odd, though, that he arranged for her to walk in on them. First, there's that eternal question of how. Second, it would be way too likely that Nanami might come down sobbing, Utena would see and maybe get it through her skull to be suspicious. I mean, at what point do the duelists have free will? Nanami very nearly comes out and says that the two are having sex with each other. How could he have predicted she wouldn't tell? How could he have prevented her from doing so? Anthy, maybe?

Plus, there was the reaction the next morning from Anthy. The rather confused glance she sends her brother. But maybe I'm the one picking up on imaginary signals.

#9 | Back to Top10-08-2007 07:28:10 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I had posted this in another thread but it fits here much better:

I think that it is very possible that Nanami saw a darker reflection of her own relationship with her brother in the blatant incest between Anthy and Akio. One of the reasons why she was so utterly shocked is due to the fact that it resonated very powerful with her situation, she suddenly saw it as something wrong and twisted. Once she sees lust externalized in an incest context she is able to assess her situation and is forced to acknowledge the full import of how she feels toward Touga.

#10 | Back to Top10-08-2007 08:20:36 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Nanami's relationship with her brother suits her purposes, because she has a guy to lust after and be possessive about, without sullying herself with actual sex (she is a prude and very afraid of sexual intimacy). So the fact that Touga is her brother makes the relationship "safe" because she has a legitimate reason for never consumating it, because incest is an unbreakable taboo. Many girls idolize unobtainable guys for similar reasons.

So when she walks in on Akio & Anthy, she is not only repulsed for normal reasons, she has to confront the idea that her relationship with Touga might not be so safe after all.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#11 | Back to Top10-09-2007 12:08:01 AM

Jellineck

I think that it is very possible that Nanami saw a darker reflection of her own relationship with her brother in the blatant incest between Anthy and Akio. One of the reasons why she was so utterly shocked is due to the fact that it resonated very powerful with her situation, she suddenly saw it as something wrong and twisted. Once she sees lust externalized in an incest context she is able to assess her situation and is forced to acknowledge the full import of how she feels toward Touga.

Absolutely. Agree one hundred percent. The comic episodes are actually vital to understanding Nanami as a character by portraying the full extent of 1) her naivete and 2) her obliviousness. She does not really understand that most others would perceive her adoration and possessiveness as lust for her brother. I think a good deal of her hatred for her brother's lovers is not for the sexual attention they receive, but for sullying her perfect illusion of her brother, much like purplepolecat said.

Also explains her affection for Miki, a kind innocent boy who probably reminds her of the compassionat memory of her brother. Someone who seems non-threatening and safe for Nanami to be around.

So the fact that Touga is her brother makes the relationship "safe" because she has a legitimate reason for never consumating it, because incest is an unbreakable taboo.

Absolutely. It's ironic that Nanami, of all people, would probably be the purest sexually of all the characters in Utena. Even more so than Miki.

#12 | Back to Top10-09-2007 09:14:52 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Nocturnalux wrote:

I had posted this in another thread but it fits here much better:

I totally agree with you.

#13 | Back to Top10-09-2007 06:30:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

purplepolecat wrote:

Many girls idolize unobtainable guys for similar reasons.

Absolutely. I suspect a lot of Miki's fangirl army is motivated in some way by this. Miki is far younger than many of the girls that crush on him, and so obviously nowhere near sexual maturity or interest that it's pretty safe to crush on him. As opposed to Nanami's darling brother. You could say nothing of your crush on him to anyone ever and he'll manage still to find himself alone with you in a dark room.

As for Nanami's attitude about the floozies, I think this kinda explains it:

Nanami:  What a waste for Himemiya Anthy to have such a kind brother like that.

I think it's always confused Nanami that her Great and Awesome brother seems to prefer the low grade drecks of floozies to Nanami. By her perspective, Nanami got dumped for a bunch of airheads with holes between their legs. It doesn't make any sense. So why should Anthy, who she also considers below her (oh those crazy Kiryuus) have a brother that by all appearances is filling the role in Anthy's life that Touga should fill in Nanami's? Of course when she finds out exactly what Akio's filling in Anthy's life, she realizes that's not quite what she was after, but at the end of the scene prior to this comment, Akio and Anthy have established themselves as having the sibling relationship Nanami does truly want. But Anthy doesn't deserve it. Nanami does.

The Kiryuu siblings both have enormously overblown egos, but in Nanami's case, the cracks being made in it over the show really make you wonder where she's going with it. Touga's behavior methodically puts in her mind that she's below floozies, but we see her fight stubbornly to ignore this. She succeeds for the most part, when she blows her fuse in the Akio Arc, she seems inclined to toss out the whole pot and start over. ('I'll beat you, and then my brother, myself up to now...everything...')

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer