This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-16-2007 05:15:36 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

Strange Little Girl

This is the first topic I've ever started, so it is fitting that it should be about Tori Amos. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love 

I haven't really gotten into the new album, "American Doll Posse", but I've never liked an entire album the first time I've listened to it, but after a while, I love the whole thing. There is no album that I would ever get rid of or sell. I have some of "Y Kant Tori Read" on a mix CD a friend did for me, and some of the songs aren't bad, but it lacks the brilliance of her later work.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? My favorite album is "Boys for Pele". My least favorite is... "Y Kant Tori Read". I really, really, really want "A Piano".

#2 | Back to Top07-16-2007 10:32:40 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Re: Strange Little Girl

Well...I used to be a giant Tori fan. Back around "Under the Pink" time. Then...the preciousness of some of her music began to annoy me. Songs like "Hey Jupiter" in particular. I'm still a huge fan of her work when it's not completely impenetrable. I haven't heard "American Doll Posse" yet. Favorite song..."Wednesday" maybe. Or "In the Springtime of His Voodoo". Least favorite song: "Northern Lad". It makes me want to chew glass.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#3 | Back to Top07-16-2007 11:30:57 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I liked Nothern Lad...it's all about the first line for me.  Anyway my favorite album is probably Under the Pink or Boys for Pele.

"Cloud on My Tongue" has a way of making me teary and emotional whan I sing along to it.

"Raspberry Swirl" I love.

"Siren" from the Great Expectations Sountrack is happiness.

"Sugar" I think I like her little story leading up to the song more than the song.

"Josephine" is cool.

"Baker Baker"

I love Tori she's awesome.

As for American Doll Posse it's not really sitting with me. The Beekeeper sat with me better, but perhaps in time I'll grow to like it.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#4 | Back to Top07-16-2007 11:48:22 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Tori Amos! etc-love etc-love

She is definitely one of my favourite singers, ever. I adore her music and what she writes aside from her lyrics. She's very inspirational to me.

Although, I have to admit.. I'm not as fond of her later albums as I am with her earlier ones. But I still always find something I enjoy. In the Beekeeper, I now adore nearly every song.. they just took a bit of getting used to. Then again, nearly all of Tori's music takes a bit of getting used to and for the music to just.. sink in for me. I love the music, but it takes me a while to get an initial impression for her music more than it does for other bands. There have been songs that for months I would listen to and be 'eh', but then suddenly one day, I just get the song, and start to madly adore it. So I'm not too concerned that I don't like much on American Doll Posse yet... but for the record, I absolutely adore "Velvet Revolution" on it.

Favourite songs in general? There are so many. "1000 oceans", "Raspberry Swirl", "Me and a gun" (this one makes me want to cry), "Precious Things", "iieee", "Liquid diamonds", "Hey Jupiter", "Concertina" (one of those new favourites that I was absolutely apathetic to at first, and then just one day I started to love it so much), "Father Lucifer", "Carnival" (an obscure one, but one I really, really adore. The lyrics also remind me of the SKU episode where Akio screwed Utena, for some reason), "Kissing in the rain", "Jamaica Inn" (especially 'the sexiest thing is trust"... gah. etc-love ), and...

..oh, wait, that's too big of a list. emot-frown I really don't know how to narrow it down.

..Oh!

"The Waitress". I connect with this song most of all. It is my angry song:

"I believe in peace,
I believe in peace, bitch"

That's how I feel when I'm angry. emot-keke I love this song very much.

#5 | Back to Top07-17-2007 03:24:52 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Hmmm... it's difficult to say which album is my favourite, but maybe Tales of Librarian and "From the Choirgil Hotel".

My beloved songs: Snow Cherries from France etc-love , Siren, Precious Things, Playboy Mommy, Northern Land (yes!), Raspberry Swirl...

I don't like Datura and Me and a Gun, I just can't stand these songs.

#6 | Back to Top07-22-2007 10:49:12 PM

Quiet Israfel
Saionji Slapper

I haven't had a chance to go out and buy American Doll Posse yet, but I did enjoy what samplings I heard on iTunes.

I definitely concur with SleepDebtFairy with a lot of those song picks, especially 1000 Oceans and Carnival (still can't get over that Carnival was on the Mission Impossible II soundtrack). I was actually introduced to Tori through my brother when he bought her To Venus and Back double CD back around '99. It's really funny, since I seem to be a bigger fan of hers than he is, nowadays.

Other favorite songs: Happy Worker, Purple People, Gold Dust, and Your Cloud. I also really enjoyed her cover of R.E.M.'s Losing my Religion.

#7 | Back to Top07-23-2007 01:56:24 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I love her cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit, although my favourite song is Winter.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#8 | Back to Top07-23-2007 03:45:01 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm still kind of new-ish to the Tori fandom, I've only started buying her CD's in the past year. I currently own "From the Choirgirl Hotel", "Boys for Pele", "Little Earthquakes", and "Under the Pink".  I just bought "Little Earthquakes" a month or two ago. I know I need to buy "Strange Little Girls", and I'm waiting for "American Doll Posse" to not be full price, but which other ones am I missing, so I can keep an eye out?

And I have to join the growing list of people who etc-love "Raspberry Swirl". If Tori ever does a dance album, I'll buy it.

And to share something incredibly dorky.... I once made a Mary Sue that was a burlesque dancer who performed to Tori Amos songs. emot-redface

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#9 | Back to Top07-24-2007 12:30:22 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

HOLY CRAP TORI AMOS THREAD! I love her. I love that she and Neil Gaiman are friends and she writes about his books in her songs. I love that every time I listen to her I think about Utena. So let's see...From the Choir Girl Hotel, Under the Pink, and many others. I like almost everything that she does. I even love most of her covers. Strange Little Girls was awesome, and I can't wait to get American Doll Posse. There are just so many good things about Tori. She gets so into the music that you can actually feel it sometimes. I am a huge fan of her piano playing, especially the song precious things. She brutally honest and real and beautiful.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#10 | Back to Top07-25-2007 05:26:35 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I love Tori Amos! She's like a female version of NIN. Trent Reznor always has at least one sad piano song on each of his albums, but in Tori's case, every single album is FILLED with sad piano music. There are not many CDs that I find pleasant to listen to in their entirety, however, Tori's music is so different because it seems like every single song strikes a cord - there's a part that's so beautiful to hear you can't stand it.

The new album, American Doll Posse, was the same way. I put it on, hungrily sped through all of the songs - and slowly one or two would stand out, until after the 30 or 40th replay, I had everything inscribed in my psyche. Smokey Joe reigns as my favorite on the new album, "If I kill him there on vacation. I did not ask for this, oh, but love, yes you did! Maybe it terrifies me.. it's too easy.. to wish you harm!" <-- while in the background the most haunting melody plays. Oh God, it's wonderful!   

Favorite album is hard to say, I love Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, and Boys for Pele, which utilized the more "traditional piano" sound, but I also love From the Choirgirl Hotel, To Venus & Back that had a more modern 'synthesized' sound. There's the beautiful piano accompaniment in each one, which is to say nothing of the incredible voice - like Robert Plant once said, "When I use my voice, it becomes an instrument," the same can be said for Tori. And what a sensual voice it is!!!

I have had red streaks in my naturally dark brown hair for years, as a nod to Tori! She's a real hero, to say the least. The story which illustrates this best, is when some 14 yr old girl came up to Tori after a concert, asking to be allowed to come along with the tour group, saying she would cook or clean or whatever they needed if only Tori would take her away! Because, she said, "Every night for the past nine years my father has raped me and when I go home tonight, he will rape me again!" What did Tori do? She said FUCK that, we are taking this girl with us!!! Yes, even though they warned Tori that the FBI would be called to deal with her for bringing the girl over state lines - she was not deterred! Tori broke the law to help protect that little girl! She's a true HERO!!! She was also the co-founder of RAINN (Rape Abuse and Incest National Network), a toll-free help line which connects callers with their local rape crisis center. So honorably, she got involved because she's a heroic person, and because of her own personal experience. http://thedent.com/rape.html What a way to make a difference in the world, after such a tragedy!!! etc-love etc-love etc-love

We've established that she's a wonderful person, and can move onto the fact that she's also gorgeous! I have been trying to perfect this look: http://everythingtori.com/pm/uploads/ga … upiter.jpg ...with the smoky, dusty eyes for some time now, but I always finish looking like an extra from Dawn of the Dead. Still, with the most astounding music, the bravest, ballsy attitude, and the absolute beauty - Tori Amos is my ultimate idol! cool

Last edited by Frosty (07-25-2007 05:28:04 PM)

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#11 | Back to Top07-25-2007 05:36:47 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Tori does one of the best covers of "Murder, He Says" ever. emot-keke

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#12 | Back to Top07-26-2007 10:13:16 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

There is a Tori Amos video, "Spark", which reminds me of Keiko's Black Rose episode. The video begins with Tori climbing out of a wrecked car trunk, her wrists are bound, and she's blindfolded. She runs, runs, runs, through the forest, across a river, nearly drowns in the process, but instead looses the blindfold. You can see the hand checking the wristwatch, and polished shoes of the man in the suit who is chasing after her. At the end, Tori makes it to a road and flags down a car with twin girls riding inside. She hurries to the passenger window and turns around to show them that her wrists are bound. The twins have no expression on their face, one closest to the window turns to the driver and exchanges a stoic glance, then they just drive away looking straight ahead. Tori collapses in the road.

Thinking of Keiko's story, remember the part right after she offers Touga her umbrella and Nanami disbands her? Then Keiko runs over to Iko and Yuko and begs them for help, but they act as if they don't hear her! It's the same, except that in the video Tori was begging strangers for help, whereas Keiko is asking what we suppose were her dearest friends. Wasn't it right after that happened, that Keiko appears in the elevator, eventually grabbing Touga's sword? Just goes to show how damaging it can be when you ignore a person's cry for help.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

#13 | Back to Top09-05-2007 09:31:34 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

That's what I found on Tori Amos's blog:

Everyone is being affected by being in Eastern Europe. One young woman has done a comparative study of the cities Warsaw and Prague. She spoke about it for rather a long time, sitting at a café one day with perfect espresso and yet another rollup.
“Did you notice,” she began, “that there weren’t many trees in Warsaw?”
“Tell me more, “ I encouraged her.
“Have you looked into the eyes of the people in Poland?” She continued, “The people there are the city. Some of the architecture made an impression on me but for the most part the people are the lifeblood of that city. I haven’t been a lot of places where a city is almost completely defined by the people and their stories and their passion for their city. But passion for what, because let’s be fair here, you’re not being assaulted by the likes of the Acropolis. And then I began to understand how hard they’ve had to fight to be Polish, to be independent from an oppressor. I guess you’re just shit outta luck if it’s your city that gets flattened by an invader. No it wasn’t fair, but these people haven’t wallowed in self-pity. I was amazed to learn that old Warsaw had been rebuilt exactly as it had been before it had been destroyed.”
I was studying her, “These people have made an impact on you haven’t they.”
She looked out and responded, “In ways I never thought possible. I’ve been surrounded by boredom for so long and just an acceptance that life should be a certain way but these people in Warsaw that I’m speaking about have such pride and value for an ideal. Now Prague, how do you begin to talk about a city that has been able to maintain its glorious architecture for hundreds of years? I wonder if there isn’t a little bit of luck involved. Yes I see the people but it is the structural grandeur that has survived for so long that has romanced me personally.”
By then we had welcomed in the evening. I had a pervious engagement.
She concluded with, “I don’t think I’ll see life in the same way when I get back to the States.”
I smiled at her, “That’s a good thing.”

Forgive me if I'm boring, but my idol wrote about Warsaw (I met Susan there etc-love ) and cheered me up emot-rolleyes

#14 | Back to Top10-11-2007 02:06:23 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Oh YAY!!!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/749136

That Houston date, I am so planning to make it!!!!!!! etc-love

Last edited by Frosty (10-11-2007 02:07:48 PM)

#15 | Back to Top10-20-2007 07:19:06 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

May I ask a semi-off-topic but yet Tori-related question?

My best friend (well, if you can call someone a best friend when you haven't spoken to them in 4 months...) is a BIG Tori fan.  Can anyone suggest any eye-popping Tori-related ideas for Christmas?  I know I could get an album or two off her Amazon Wishlist (there are a couple there), but are there any other Tori nifties floating around that a non-Tori fan wouldn't know about but a Tori fan would die to have?  (Not that I dislike Tori--I just fell asleep while driving when listening to her once and haven't felt the urge to attempt that again emot-redface)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciate.

#16 | Back to Top10-20-2007 07:24:37 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm sure Frosty will have a good gift idea for you.

But can I be nosey and ask which album you were listening to when you driving? emot-confused

#17 | Back to Top10-20-2007 07:28:38 PM

Mylene

Mix CD that my friend made me.  I don't know if she only picked the slowest Tori songs ever, or if I just tend to go for faster music in general (currently listening to "Romance" - Komatsu Ayaka from PGSM).  Whatever the case, it knocked me out completely.  I should probably find it again and give it another shot.  I'm starting to like slower music now...Just not while driving. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Cerise (10-20-2007 07:29:32 PM)

#18 | Back to Top10-21-2007 04:27:05 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Aside from the tickets to her concert (which are less than 50 bucks), Tori released a special boxed set called "The Piano" and what's cool about it is that the box actually is shaped like a piano. Heh. But the songs within, are all songs that are on her regular albums, so that's something a completionist collector would want. But what's really big for Tori fans (I think, I am not a member of any groups, just from reading websites & my own experience) is collecting copies of the music from her live shows. She has a habit of changing up her songs, singing a different line here or there, putting in a different piano riff, and she'll do cover songs since she used to play in Piano Bars back in the day. So, this means for one Tori Amos song, like Cornflake Girl, a fan might have 12 different copies of the same song - all from different tour dates sprinkled over the years. But, it takes knowing what you have in your collection and what you want to get, before that's really an option.

So, I'd say the best bet would be the box set, or the CDs she wants from Amazon (cause it's all about the music). You can sometimes find cool stuff on ebay too. I bought a beautiful oil painting of Tori, on a big canvas, for less than 40 bucks with shipping! Good luck shopping, Cerise! emot-dance

If you want to try a faster Tori song, check out "Blue Skies", it's the only Tori song I can request at clubs! Haha! But they always play it, and it packs the floor, because it's an awesome song. Not much (if any) of her piano in that one, just the hypnotic voice!

#19 | Back to Top10-21-2007 09:01:49 AM

Mylene

Actually, I believe she has Piano, or has attempted to get it.  I think hers arrived without the box though--the fun of the Amazon Marketplace.  Given she hasn't been responding to any emails recently (not mad at me, she just sucks at returning phone calls, emails, etc...possibly not wanting to answer the question "So, did you tell your family yet?") asking her if she ever got it resolved would probably be an effort in futility.  >_<  Tickets would be cool, but she's an athletic trainer, so she has no set schedule.  Weekends she's almost certainly working, weeknights--pretty decent chance of working then too.

I might just get the album or two she has on her Wishlist, and perhaps peruse a bit of eBay while I'm at it.  Thanks for the ideas, Frosty!

#20 | Back to Top11-02-2007 04:17:03 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I just bought "Strange Little Girls" today for around $6. Honestly, I'd only heard of one or two songs on the album, but it was pretty impressive. I will say this though. Her cover of "97 Bonnie and Clyde" creeped me the fuck out.  Still love it, anyway.

#21 | Back to Top11-02-2007 04:37:13 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Yes 97 Bonnie and CLyde is the creepiest thing ever, awesomely good but sooo creepy.

#22 | Back to Top11-03-2007 05:07:44 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Here's the creepy lyrics for everyone interested. I forced my relative who was in an abusive relationship to listen to this song, she then requested I burn her copy & continued to play it as a motivational tool for leaving that shitty relationship, which she finally did. Gogo Tori cover songs! etc-love

97 Bonnie and Clyde wrote:

Just the two of us..

Baby your da-da loves you
And I'ma always be here for you
no matter what happens
You're all I got in this world
I would never give you up for nothin
Nobody in this world is ever gonna keep you from me
I love you
C'mon Hai-Hai, we goin to the beach
Grab a couple of toys and let da-da
strap you in the car seat
Oh where's mama? She's takin a little nap in the trunk
Oh that smell da-da musta runned over a skunk
Now I know what you're thinkin - it's
kind of late to go swimmin
But you know your mama, she's one of those type of women
that do crazy things, and if she don't get
her way, she'll throw a fit
Don't play with da-da's toy knife,
honey, let go of it
And don't look so upset, why you actin bashful?
Don't you wanna help da-da build a sand castle? (yeah!)
And mama said she wants to show how far she can float
And don't worry about that little boo-boo on her throat
It's just a little scratch - it don't hurt, her was eatin
dinner while you were sweepin and
spilled ketchup on her shirt
Mama's messy isn't she? We'll let
her wash off in the water
and me and you can pway by ourselves, can't we?

Just the two of us..

See honey.. there's a place called
heaven and a place called hell
A place called prison and a place called jail
And da-da's probably on his way to all of em except one
Cause mama's got a new husband and a stepson
And you don't want a brother do ya?
Maybe when you're old enough to understand a little better
I'll explain it to ya
But for now we'll just say mama was real real bad
She was bein mean to dad and made him real real mad
But I still feel sad that I put her on time-out
Sit back in your chair honey, quit
tryin to climb out (WAHH!)
I told you it's okay HaiHai, wanna ba-ba?
Take a night-night? Nan-a-boo, goo-goo ga-ga?
Her make goo-goo ca-ca? Da-da change your dia-dee
Clean the baby up so her can take a nighty-nighty
Your dad'll wake her up as soon as we get to the water
Ninety-seven Bonnie and Clyde, me and my daughter

Just the two of us..

Wake up sweepy head we're here, before we pway
we're gonna take mama for a wittle walk along the pier
Baby, don't cry honey, don't get the wrong idea
Mama's too sweepy to hear you
screamin in her ear
That's why you can't get her to wake, but don't worry
Da-da made a nice bed for mommy at the bottom of the lake
Here, you wanna help da-da tie a rope
around this rock?
We'll tie it to her footsie then
we'll roll her off the dock
Ready now, here we go, on the count of free..
One.. two.. free.. WHEEEEEE!
There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta
No more fightin wit dad, no more restraining order
No more step-da-da, no more new brother
Blow her kisses bye-bye, tell mama you love her
Now we'll go play in the sand, build a castle and junk
But first, just help dad with two
more things out the trunk

Just the two of us..

#23 | Back to Top11-03-2007 02:52:26 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I love Tori...when the pretension factor is turned way down.

I was introduced to her right after LITTLE EARTHQUAKES came out, and I still feel it's her most powerful, and most honest work.

Around the time of BOYS FOR PELE, which I feel is her next strongest work, she had a song called "Caught a Lite Sneeze" that has a lyric which says "made my own pretty hate machine."

*sobs*

That just smacks of trying too hard to me, if you have to literally use a NIN album title as a lyric. Especially when you had Trent Reznor singing on your last album.

I think overall the quality of her work has lessened as the years have gone on - I didn't enjoy SCARTLET'S WALK, THE BEEKEEPER, or AMERICAN DOLL POSSE as I had her previous outings.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#24 | Back to Top11-03-2007 03:01:09 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Frosty wrote:

She's a real hero, to say the least. The story which illustrates this best, is when some 14 yr old girl came up to Tori after a concert, asking to be allowed to come along with the tour group, saying she would cook or clean or whatever they needed if only Tori would take her away! Because, she said, "Every night for the past nine years my father has raped me and when I go home tonight, he will rape me again!" What did Tori do? She said FUCK that, we are taking this girl with us!!! Yes, even though they warned Tori that the FBI would be called to deal with her for bringing the girl over state lines - she was not deterred! Tori broke the law to help protect that little girl!

Oh wow, that's mindblowing. Is there a link you have where I could learn more??? I'd love to read up on that. emot-dance

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

Board footer