This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top08-01-2008 01:37:58 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Re: Random Utena Questions? Possible Analysis and or Anwsers...

OnionPrince wrote:

Here's a random question, relating to one of those things that, looking back, I never completely understood. The last line in episode 34...

"I watched your face while you slept. Who are you, really?"

God, that scene still makes my skin crawl. So, what did Anthy mean?

Actually the first manga makes that slightly clearer. Dios originally told her:
...and if you don't lose your noble self, we will meet again -- and you will save us.

What he means by us is an interesting problem in itself but anyway it sounds like he wanted Utena to become a Prince. She had forgotten that last clause but it explains why she wanted to be a Prince instead of a Princess. Akio wants her to be a Princess and Anthy is quite confused about what Utena is.

#52 | Back to Top08-01-2008 07:34:30 PM

Kaelyndra
Pained Growlithe

Giovanna wrote:

About Dios not being good.

Oh yay! I agree so completely its uncanny. Finally, good solid reasons for my dislike of Dios.

And now I have a question as well.

In Episode 21 dealing with the relations of Keiko to Nanami and Touga, there's that scene with Utena and Anthy towards the end.

Utena:  That's not what I'm talking about. How can she still be Nanami's friend?
Utena:  Even though she's actually carrying all sorts of feelings...
Anthy:  That's easy.
Anthy:  For someone you love, your feelings for any other people become insignificant.
Anthy:  You can deceive yourself as much as you need.

I'm not positive on who Anthy means that Keiko loves in this point. She could love Nanami as a friend and be ignoring her love for Touga for as long as she needs. But she could have just as easily be deceiving herself to Nanami. I really want to think that it's the former. That Keiko likes Nanami's friendships that much, but I'm a hopeless friendship whore. So, maybe it's not concrete, but is that what you guys got out of it, too?

And thought it might be off-topic, I love that line of Anthy's so much. It's a clear sign of her saying things that foreshadow her relationship with Akio all the time. In my opinion in means this: Her feelings for Utena are insignificant, because she loves her brother, and she's deceiving herself against being a person. That basic gist anyway. I love SKU's foreshadowing so much.

#53 | Back to Top08-01-2008 07:46:19 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Kaelyndra wrote:

I'm not positive on who Anthy means that Keiko loves in this point. She could love Nanami as a friend and be ignoring her love for Touga for as long as she needs. But she could have just as easily be deceiving herself to Nanami. I really want to think that it's the former. That Keiko likes Nanami's friendships that much, but I'm a hopeless friendship whore. So, maybe it's not concrete, but is that what you guys got out of it, too?

That's an interesting take on it! I always just assumed the obvious-- Keiko loves Touga, so she can ignore her negative feelings towards Nanami for as long as she has to. When she finally has her chance with Touga later in the series, she easily tosses Nanami aside. Her time for pretending has reached an end.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#54 | Back to Top08-01-2008 08:59:51 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I agree with dollface--I think Anthy means that Keiko "loves" Touga and so will deceive herself endlessly in order to be closer to him. 

It's one of many things Anthy says about the relationships/feelings of other characters that is as much Anthy talking of herself (if not more) than it is about anyone else.

Interestingly enough, it seems unlikely that Touga will ever feel for Keiko what Keiko would like him to feel, so any hopes Keiko has are also her deliberately deceiving herself.  (Sure, Keiko SAYS she didn't have hopes, but that's what she told herself consciously, not how she felt subconsciously).  You could pretty much say that Touga isn't and will never be the Prince for Keiko that Keiko wants.  Kind of like Anthy and Akio, huh?

I digress.  I really don't think Anthy could be saying that Keiko loves Nanami...  It seems evident to me that Nanami and Keiko aren't truly "friends."  Nanami has her good points, but actually considering her henchgirls real "friends"...?  And I doubt Keiko is so dumb as to think Nanami truly cares for her as a friend.  Whatever else you might say about the Black Rose duels, the feelings they find in the elevators are genuine...Keiko deeply dislikes Nanami.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (08-01-2008 09:02:51 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#55 | Back to Top08-02-2008 09:15:51 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I get the feel that Touga is indirectly responsible for that dislike, though.
During the orientation, Keiko, Aiko, and Yuko were the ones who came to ask Nanami if she'd like to be their friends. But because Touga showed up, that possibility for a relationship between normal friends was gone.
Then again, Nanami herself was pretty conceited. If I, K, U didn't meet Touga that day, would Nanami really acknowledge them as her "friends"? (Remembering that Nanami was not facing them at all when they were talking to her. She seemed to be minding her own business like I, K, U was never there)

#56 | Back to Top08-03-2008 12:35:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

You gotta also wonder whether Nanami is acting that way because it's who she is, or is there more to it? I mention this a lot, that Nanami (and Saionji) are like the show's fools, in the Medieval sense. They trip on their own shoelaces for our amusement but a fool that cannot read its audience loses it quickly, and they both at moments show themselves to be far more perceptive about the nature of others than their actions let on. How likely is it, really, that Nanami can't smell from a mile away girls that want to suck up for access to her shining dazzling brother? Were these three even the first example of it? They were quite obvious, practically jumping for Nanami's favor as soon as the connection to Touga was made. Even Tsuwabuki has, for one with a keen nose, the stench of a hero complex that makes him not entirely Nanami's own.

I don't doubt for a minute that Nanami is, well, a bitch. But I wonder if the degree of her using behavior isn't itself informed by her awareness that none of these people approached her for her. For that matter there is no relationship to another human being she has in the show that isn't somehow tainted by Touga's greater influence. Well, except for those three guys. The closest she seems to get to anyone else is Juri and Miki, and even they probably would never have spoken to her if they weren't already affiliated with her brother.

Saionji is less in this position but I suspect feels it nonetheless. It's part of why I think one could make a successful argument for shipping them.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#57 | Back to Top08-03-2008 11:42:38 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Once more whit the deep stuff emot-tongue ok I kid but really I would put those two together because they would proceed to understand each other slightcoughhackmental issues and they could teach each other lessons.
She would hopefully grow-up and learn some boundaries...or at the worse she would have a man who would to some point understand her big brother issues. He would learn that women are not to be physically pushed around.
Or if all that is way too much to hope for then they could be united in their hate for Utena and their like/love of Touga.

What do you think would happened if they combined their powers and started plotting Utena's demise...In the first arc I could see them splitting the spoils of war quite nicely. He gets Anthy and she would ruin one of her brothers distractions.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#58 | Back to Top09-09-2008 09:23:38 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

OK, finally I moved my ass and I started translating SKU into Polish once again, and I have one question about Shiori's quote. I remember that someone has already said that she didn't say 'Believe in miracles, and they will know your true feelings' as it is written in scripts, but I don't remember what exactly it was. emot-confused
Who remebers what did she say?

Edit: If someone remembers another things like that, please let me know. Unfortunately I don't know Japanese. And one more thing: does 'Kashira kashira' really means 'I wonder I wonder'?

Last edited by dlaire (09-09-2008 09:31:45 AM)

#59 | Back to Top09-09-2008 10:40:48 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'm going to look into Shiori's line, but I thought I'd go ahead and answer "kashira kashira."  Kashira is a strange word that has no good translation in English, but "I wonder" is as good as any.  Women stick kashira at the end of a sentence to indicate uncertainty.  (Men use "kana" instead.)  Kashira turns "he's really a nice guy" into "I wonder if he's really a nice guy."  It acts a little differently with negative sentences, where it can express a hope, but that isn't the context in which it's used in Utena.

"Kashira, kashira," where there's no sentence involved, just sounds gossipy.

Last edited by satyreyes (09-09-2008 10:41:32 AM)

#60 | Back to Top09-09-2008 10:54:54 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

If I have it right, Shiori's line is "Kiseki wo shinjite, omoi wa todoku to."

Literal translation: "Believe/trust in miracles, and [your] thoughts/feelings/hopes will reach [them]."  A couple things worth noting here:

- The part in brackets is implied.  There is no indication of who your feelings will reach, which is why the script says "they will know your feelings" instead of "he," "she," "people in general," "I," or even "you."  There's also no clear indication that it's your feelings that are doing the reaching.  It could mean "my feelings will reach you."  But I think the canon translation makes the most sense in context.  Japanese is a clinically ambiguous language!

- "They will know your feelings," of course, isn't quite the same as "your feelings will reach them."  I don't know the precise connotations of "todoku," to reach.  If it means to reach someone in the literal sense, "they will know your feelings" is a strong translation.  But if it can be more metaphorical, like the word "reach" can in English, then "omoi wa todoku to" might be better translated as "they will be touched by your feelings" or even "they will share your feelings."

- There is also a subtle difference between believing in miracles and trusting in miracles.  ("Shinjite" can mean either one.)  I like "trust in miracles" better in this context, but I'm no professional.

- There's one other possible translation for "omoi wa todoku to," namely "... and [they] will reach [your] thoughts/hopes/feelings."  Wa is sort of a vague particle that doesn't make clear whether the feelings are doing the reaching or being reached.  I think the above translation is more sensible, though.

Last edited by satyreyes (09-09-2008 10:59:52 AM)

#61 | Back to Top09-09-2008 02:54:04 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

don't know if this was already answered....

but in one of the first season episodes Anthy is kidnapped and someone calls Utena to tell her that she was "kidnapped."

Just who the hell was on the phone? Was it Akio?

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#62 | Back to Top09-09-2008 05:51:22 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/4228-1/Series_ep09_130.jpg

Looks like Touga to me.

And so smirky. emot-keke

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#63 | Back to Top09-09-2008 07:14:57 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Satyreyes is right about everything concerning Shiori's famous "believe in miracles" quote. The only thing that I'll add is that the "to" at the end of "omoi wa todoku to" makes it a quote.  We see that same quote get translated as "I told you, "Believe in miracles, and they will know your feelings"" near the end of Juri's angst scene, but there's no real proof that she's quoting herself. ""Believe in miracles, and they will know your feelings..." Weren't those your words?" From what Ruka says, it could be that Shiori's quoting Juri's words, probably in a passive-aggressive/tormenting manner.

I etc-love direct translations like the one Satyreyes posted. Finding multiple translations like "Believe in miracles, and they will know your feelings," as opposed to, "Believe in a miracle, that your wish will come true" are the reasons why I waste so much of my time double-checking the translations for obscure words like "seishoku-jiku." emot-frown

#64 | Back to Top09-09-2008 07:32:37 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oh, now that's an interesting interpretation of the "to," Razara, and once I hadn't considered.  It makes sense, though.  I'd been interpreting it as a different "to," the particle that means "and therefore," which is where you get the cause-and-effect of "if you believe in miracles, then your feelings will reach them."  But your way actually makes at least as much sense, in which case the cause and effect comes from the "shinjite."  But then maybe shinjite isn't an imperative?  Wow, then the sentence could mean "you believe in miracles, so your feelings will reach them -- or so someone said."  With no implied "believe in miracles" command.  Wow, this sentence is really ambiguous even for Japanese.  We need to get someone who actually speaks the language in here.

#65 | Back to Top09-09-2008 07:36:58 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

lex wrote:

I always assumed it was Akio.

#66 | Back to Top09-10-2008 12:13:35 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

satyreyes wrote:

We need to get someone who actually speaks the language in here.

*Raises hand.*

I could clear this line up for you easily if I had the original Japanese script. As it stands, though, I am 99.99% sure that Razara's interpretation (and the series') is accurate, or as close as is reasonable. The "to" at the end pretty much has to be a quotation indicator from the context.

Regarding the shadow girls, remember that Kashira also means "chief," (in this case, the head of the theater group), and is just one of the many terrible puns the shadow girls make that only work in Japanese.

#67 | Back to Top09-10-2008 05:20:08 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

brian wrote:

lex wrote:

I always assumed it was Akio.

Sorry, as we see in the picture, it was Touga on the phone. You can even recognise the voice, if you've heard the same actor play older guy roles. And remember how he later calls Akio (though we don't know at the time who he's talking to), explaining about using his End of the World-trademark.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#68 | Back to Top09-10-2008 04:17:55 PM

lex

oh it is Touga....how did I manage to skip that? what other roles has that voice actor played?

#69 | Back to Top09-10-2008 04:22:28 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

lex wrote:

oh it is Touga....how did I manage to skip that? what other roles has that voice actor played?

His name is Koyasu Takehito.

EDIT: You might recognize him as Il Palazzo from Excel Saga or Kira Sakuya from Angel Sanctuary.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (09-10-2008 04:23:42 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#70 | Back to Top09-10-2008 04:31:19 PM

lex

ohhh okay, I mainly recognize him from the Initial D anime....thanks for that link, Raven.

#71 | Back to Top09-10-2008 07:14:51 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

satyreyes wrote:

I'd been interpreting it as a different "to," the particle that means "and therefore,"

That's what I thought for a long time. I only knew that "to" could have that meaning because my sister pointed it out to me a while ago.

OnionPrince wrote:

I could clear this line up for you easily if I had the original Japanese script.

I think there used to be an episode guide with the original Japanese in the gallery, but I can't find it. This might be it, "奇跡を信じて、思いは届くと" but all I really remember is that "to" was written in hiragana.

#72 | Back to Top09-10-2008 07:18:59 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Ragnarok wrote:

http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/4228-1/S … 09_130.jpg

Looks like Touga to me.

And so smirky. emot-keke

Sigh so damn tasty.

So wait if that was touga on the phone then did he leave his green haired pal face down in the water?

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#73 | Back to Top09-11-2008 06:06:01 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

satyreyes, thanks for help! poptart

#74 | Back to Top09-11-2008 08:24:54 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Onion wrote: Here's a random question, relating to one of those things that, looking back, I never completely understood. The last line in episode 34...
"I watched your face while you slept. Who are you, really?"
God, that scene still makes my skin crawl. So, what did Anthy mean?

I'd like to add some thoughts to this one (although good thoughts have been said already!)

Firstly this gives me chills too. emot-aaa Great line.
I like to think of it as the revelation of a core difference between Utena & Anthy. I shall attempt to explain! school-eng101

There comes a moment when you know another person to such an intimate level, that you become aware of a unbridgeable gulf between you and them. In other words, attaining much knowledge about something means you inevitably awaken to your overall ignorance. That person (that beloved person) is the "unknowable other". You can't ever truly understand them, no matter how close you get...

In the case of Utena, she's a pretty strange person as it is. I mean, she's the only person at Ohtori who is SO er innocent (*coff gullible*). She looks at the world through some seriously skewy glasses. And this allows her to look at Anthy with love.

Anthy is quite markedly different in her views. She is perhaps...sadly realistic. Utena is deliberately unknowing, but Anthy is omniscient. She doesn't have love left to give anyone. Would you if a million swords of hate were skewering you every moment?! At first glance Utena would have seemed so simple to her (read "an idiot"), and oh so easy to manipulate. But even the hardest heart begins to feel a few pangs of conscience at persistent and undeserved love.

I'm not saying Utena is perfect or even good (just not mentioning her many flaws at the moment). But I am saying that she did care about Anthy, and eventually (in this line, and other places) we see that start to "get to Anthy". She has a moment of profound self-doubt. She views the unknowable other, the possible (she thought impossible) savior, and can't help asking..."Who are you, really?"

She suddenly realizes she can't guess what Utena will do. She can't know Utena, even though she thought she did. Her revelation forces her to ask Utena outright - which of course is a stupid idea as she realizes moments later. Utena doesn't have a clue what the question is! emot-biggrin But Anthy wasn't in control of herself in that question. The mask had slipped.

*sigh* Tangent: I love all mask-slippage moments, whether good or bad, loving or evil.

Okay, time for my random question.
I have always wanted to know...

What the heck happens to the black rose duelists when they lose?
Why do they seem to "die", fall through the chalk-marking of a murdered body on the arena floor, and have their coffin fall into hell/giant-crematorium???
And how does that not kill them, but just steal their memories?
Inquiring minds want to know...hey I know it's all symbolic, but I need some help here on wtf this symbolism is supposed to mean! emot-aaa emot-gonk

#75 | Back to Top09-11-2008 09:35:47 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Well, this isn't really how I see things, but I suppose you could say that the black rose duelists are possessed by one of the 100 dead ones. But only until they lose, after that it's back to hell with them.

As for OnionPrince's question, I basically agree with Sharnii. After all this time of waiting and hoping for someone to save her, Utena comes along. I'd guess that Anthy didn't suspect for a while that Utena had any chance of saving her...I mean, she's so dumb, right? Plus the fact that Anthy has probably given up by now and wasnt really looking for that anyway. So in this scene I'd say that she begins to really accept the possibility that Utena may be the one. She doesn't really believe it until the very end though.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

Board footer