This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-01-2009 07:56:37 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

An AU by any other name-

Lately, the high school discussion here on this part of the forum gave me an idea. I forgot who it was that mentioned that the school setting for Ohtori is a metaphorical setting.

So, I was hoping that we can all try to dish it out here. What other settings could the Ohtori have worked out? What if it was an Ohtori Bar? An Ohtori "Office"? How would these characters play their roles in different settings? And, why is it that I picture Kozue as a cocktail-waitress AND a pole-dancing stripper if Ohtori is actually a bar?

Let the creativity roam

#2 | Back to Top07-01-2009 08:14:33 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Re: An AU by any other name-

How bout Ohtori Prison? Or do I mean juvenile detention facility? school-devil

Utena was unfairly imprisoned, but the rest are all guilty of the same dark things they do/think in the anime, all for very emotional and totally understandable reasons of course. emot-tongue

Akio is the chief warden. If you're...nice to him, he might make you a promise about time off for good behavour. Or take you for a ride in his police car. Anthy is his little sister-gone-bad who's incarcerated (and passed around like drugs) for a reason that nobody knows.

I wonder what it could be... *shudders*

#3 | Back to Top07-01-2009 10:36:49 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

sharnii wrote:

Utena was unfairly imprisoned, but the rest are all guilty of the same dark things they do/think in the anime, all for very emotional and totally understandable reasons of course. emot-tongue

Akio is the chief warden. If you're...nice to him, he might make you a promise about time off for good behavour. Or take you for a ride in his police car. Anthy is his little sister-gone-bad who's incarcerated (and passed around like drugs) for a reason that nobody knows.

I wonder what it could be... *shudders*

An image of "OZ" comes to mind... I'd have thought Utena would be like an undercover FBI... or would that be Ruka. Then he'd be an undercover FBI who unfortunately failed because he got shot during a prison riot.

Ooh! Then the duels in Ohtori would be a prison riot!

#4 | Back to Top07-01-2009 11:15:04 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

sharnii wrote:

Ooh! I like that idea, sharnii. An alternate SKU would probably work best in some kind of social institution.  Maybe they could also be in the army/marines and the Student Council would be elite generals leading a war that only Utena the foot soldier believes is wrong.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#5 | Back to Top07-01-2009 11:44:56 AM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

Ohtori City. We'll have strip clubs, offices, homes, retaurants, schools, etc. All you'll ever need in a single NYC-like city.

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#6 | Back to Top07-01-2009 01:40:09 PM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

I've mentioned this before but i've often imagined the Utena characters in the universe of Frank Herbert's Dune. Not neccesarily the planet Arrakis itself, but having to do with the search for a semimythical savior that traps them all. Perhaps on the duellist's school on Ginaz? I'd really enjoy playing this out as a collaborative fanfic/RP

Akio-A failed attempt at creating the Kwisatz Haderach, now obsessed with creating another one so he can transfer his memories to an Akio ghola and unlock it for himself.

Anthy-His Bene Gesserit sister, held in bondage for hundreds of years while they use Spice and BG powers to remain ageless.

Mikage-Mentat who is unaware he is a ghola of a previous professor at the school

Utena-Naive swordmaster student who is secretly being monitered for signs of being a KH. I know the KH is supposed to be male...perhaps she was born with a Y chromosome?

#7 | Back to Top07-07-2009 11:17:57 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Hedgehogey wrote:

I've mentioned this before but i've often imagined the Utena characters in the universe of Frank Herbert's Dune. Not neccesarily the planet Arrakis itself, but having to do with the search for a semimythical savior that traps them all. Perhaps on the duellist's school on Ginaz? I'd really enjoy playing this out as a collaborative fanfic/RP

Akio-A failed attempt at creating the Kwisatz Haderach, now obsessed with creating another one so he can transfer his memories to an Akio ghola and unlock it for himself.

Anthy-His Bene Gesserit sister, held in bondage for hundreds of years while they use Spice and BG powers to remain ageless.

Mikage-Mentat who is unaware he is a ghola of a previous professor at the school

Utena-Naive swordmaster student who is secretly being monitered for signs of being a KH. I know the KH is supposed to be male...perhaps she was born with a Y chromosome?

A Kwisatz Haderach is just someone with both male and female ancestral memory. If you go by this definition, Paul's sister and both twins were KHs. I've seen fans note this on TV tropes. It could work, as in the original Dune, the Bene Gesserit are looking for a male KH. Hopefully, she doesn't go the way of Paul's sister. (I need to reread Dune... it's been a year since I've read it)

...but the roles you select are very well picked. I figured that the Black Rose Duels would be more like forcing BG-hood on various teens with variants of synthetic spice that doesn't last in the body and leaves the poor victim with their short term memory shot, but no sign of BG-hood. However, Kozue, Wakaba and Shiori would be left with remnants of ability, which would be feelings of deja vu, odd disconnected knowledge and extremely vivid dreams of the past.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

Board footer