This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top07-19-2007 10:04:17 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: HARRY POTTER DISCUSSION THREAD HERE!!!

Okay alexielnet, I'm just as confused by those theories as you are. The Ron one doesn't even make sense from a sentence structure standpoint. What do they MEAN?

I like mocha's idea about Dumbledore's portrait - that could bring him back after a fashion with less of a cop-out feel.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#27 | Back to Top07-19-2007 11:35:47 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

I dunno about you guys, but I STILL haven't gotten over Sirius Black being killed.

TT___TT

I personally only like Snape for one reason and one reason only...

Alan Rickman.

And don't deny it.  You love it to.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#28 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:12:24 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Okay alexielnet, I'm just as confused by those theories as you are. The Ron one doesn't even make sense from a sentence structure standpoint. What do they MEAN?

Oops. I said it incorrectly. Dumbledore is Ron from the future. Ron travels to the past so that he can be in a position of power to help stop Voldemort and take care of Harry. Part of the argument was that he knew things he shouldn't have known, like he knew where to go when Harry was fighting Voldemort for the stone or that Ron saw himself in the Mirror of Erised outshining his brothers.

#29 | Back to Top07-19-2007 12:13:25 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Mmm, yes, that's one of the reasons, Hya. etc-love

I do not think that Dumbledore is coming back. In a few interviews, she has stated that he is dead, dead, dead, and he is not alive anywhere, and no, he isn't coming back. I really don't think that she'd say all that just to say, "OOP, FOOL'D U!!" and have the opposite happen. I do like Mocha's theory, though, as it is something that she would do.

#30 | Back to Top07-19-2007 03:37:52 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

these are all valid theories. i gots some things to say, and hopefully this will make you all think ;)

on Dumbledore: he is a portrait now. yes, hes dead. but i believe that if harry goes back to hogwarts for whatever reason, it will be to confer with Dumbledore's portrait. Dumbledore himself confered with the portraits on important matters quite often.

on book 7:
JK does not want anyone to write any profitable HP books later. the only way to accomplish this is to kill harry. thats it.
i think that when the end comes it will end up something like this:

Ron, Harry and Hermione set off together to destroy the horcuixs. somehow neville gets involved too. ultimatly, Ron and Herione live, Neville sees Voldemort use the torture curse to destroy harry's mind. Neville snaps and kills voldemort and harry ends up in St. Mongoes for the rest of his life like Neville's parents.
This way, Harry does not die per se, but is still "destroyed".

my alternate theory is kinda weird. the weasily family gets wiped out. ron, ginny, everyone. Hermione dies, but Snape lives. Harry lives too, and, having no one else, moves in with Snape. i dont like this one as it doesn't fit in with JK's writing style.

We all have our own little addictions.

#31 | Back to Top07-19-2007 05:15:03 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

guardian_rose wrote:

JK does not want anyone to write any profitable HP books later. the only way to accomplish this is to kill harry. thats it.

She has the legal rights to the series and the characters, especially Harry himself. No one can legally write anything in HP Canon without her consent so she doesn't need to kill off a character to make sure they don't appear in someone else's work.

Besides which, this is a series about magic. Even if Harry died, anyone could just magicks! him back to life again. Or write about characters and advance which occur parallel to the original series, making lots of room for scenes involving Harry which wouldn't have been reflected in the original works due to their unimportance to those stories. etc. etc.

And while I don't know Rowling, I'd like to think she wouldn't kill off a character just for the sake of spiting hopeful cash-ins.

Predictions: I've been making this since before reading the sixth book, and I believe I've mentioned it on this forum at one point, too. Snape is going to pull a Vader.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#32 | Back to Top07-19-2007 05:24:34 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Even if Dumbledore doesn't come back to life, he could still show up in book 7 as either a ghost or maybe he left a piece of himself somewhere. (After all thats what Voldemort did a few times eg; the Riddle Diary)

#33 | Back to Top07-19-2007 05:42:05 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

Predictions: I've been making this since before reading the sixth book, and I believe I've mentioned it on this forum at one point, too. Snape is going to pull a Vader.

...He's Harry's father? emot-aaa

I KNEW EET. cool

#34 | Back to Top07-19-2007 05:53:51 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

RotJ not ESB!

Although I've heard that theory more than once, too. emot-wink

(I also wouldn't be surprised if the prophecy in Order of the Phoenix turns out to be a load. And someone will say to Harry "Oh, didn't you know? Those prophecies are only ever potential absolute truth, you can always change them!")

#35 | Back to Top07-19-2007 06:56:46 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

Besides which, this is a series about magic. Even if Harry died, anyone could just magicks! him back to life again.

Well, it's been made pretty clear that death is irreversible, but I agree with your central point.  Rowling won't kill Harry just to stop other authors from writing about him.  (I still think she'll kill Harry, but not for that reason.)

Tamago wrote:

Even if Dumbledore doesn't come back to life, he could still show up in book 7 as either a ghost or maybe he left a piece of himself somewhere. (After all thats what Voldemort did a few times eg; the Riddle Diary)

Yes, but Dumbledore himself calls Horcruxes vile, and says the fragmentation of the soul is something only the darkest mage would contemplate; they are a banned subject at Hogwarts.  I guess we can't rule out his coming back as a ghost -- do we ever learn why Nearly Headless Nick and the rest came back? -- but it strikes me as unlikely.

Ragnarok wrote:

(I also wouldn't be surprised if the prophecy in Order of the Phoenix turns out to be a load. And someone will say to Harry "Oh, didn't you know? Those prophecies are only ever potential absolute truth, you can always change them!")

I think Dumbledore has already said something pretty similar to that emot-smile  Along the lines of "this prophecy wouldn't have come true, except that Voldemort heard of it, and by his actions, he made it come true."  That said, the only way for the prophecy to be proven false would be for Harry, Neville, and Voldemort to all survive Book 7, and what are the odds of that?

Last edited by satyreyes (07-19-2007 07:00:14 PM)

#36 | Back to Top07-19-2007 07:15:19 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Well, it's been made pretty clear that death is irreversible, but I agree with your central point.

Rowling definitely wants death to be absolute. In the ulikely event that someone else was able to take up the series, I wouldn't be at all surprised for them to treat magic related deaths very differently.

satyreyes wrote:

That said, the only way for the prophecy to be proven false would be for Harry, Neville, and Voldemort to all survive Book 7, and what are the odds of that?

Any one (or all) of them could still die, just so long as neither Harry nor Neville kill/are killed by Voldemort.

#37 | Back to Top07-19-2007 07:35:52 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Sevelle is going to put in his three cents:

Snape is such a bad person. He's two timing both Dumbledore and Voldemort. Dumbledore’s greatest weakness is he trusts people way too much. He did after all let the imposter Moody slip Harry’s name into the Gobelt of Fire, which sent Harry on a merry little trip to death. And it is evident that Snape is a great Occulemense, since Voldemort has yet to send him to the land of the dead.

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#38 | Back to Top07-19-2007 07:44:03 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

That is a possibility, and a rather popular theory, as well. However, what could Snape possibly gain by playing both sides against each other? He doesn't seem like the kind of person who would put his life at risk for shits and giggles.

#39 | Back to Top07-19-2007 07:46:53 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Maybe he wants unlimited power like Voldemort? Or to finally get back at James through Harry.

Last edited by Sevelle (07-19-2007 07:47:14 PM)

you said

#40 | Back to Top07-19-2007 08:05:15 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

However, what could Snape possibly gain by playing both sides against each other? He doesn't seem like the kind of person who would put his life at risk for shits and giggles.

Snape doesn't have much of a choice. Picking one side means being targetted by the other, while being a double agent (openly so to both sides!) keeps him safe to jump on the winning side when the tide turns. He was forced to kill Dumbledore to keep the Unbreakable Vow, but I still believe, as of the end of book six; he's on whichever side will keep him alive.

Until Voldemort starts electrocuting Harry to death, whereby Snape must throw his former master down a bottomless pit.

#41 | Back to Top07-19-2007 08:30:18 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

I still think Snape is in it for his own gains. I mean who carries on a grudge for so long, that they pass it on to the son?

(Don't answer that.)

you said

#42 | Back to Top07-19-2007 09:35:31 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Harry Potter's father might have become a all round good person by the time he was killed but as a teenager, he was a smugass dickhead.

#43 | Back to Top07-19-2007 10:19:55 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

satyreyes wrote:

I guess we can't rule out his coming back as a ghost -- do we ever learn why Nearly Headless Nick and the rest came back? -- but it strikes me as unlikely.

I hear this theory a lot and it pisses me off to no end. emot-mad Not to say you've pissed me off, bebe, but the people that don't take into account Dumbledore's basic personality and preach this as the Gospel Truth and Something That Will Happen Damn You.

Nick says in the end of 5 -right around when Harry finds Sirius' mirror- that the reason he and others come back as ghosts is basically because they're afraid of death and what might come after. Sirius won't come back because he's pretty much fearless. Reckless, is a better word, in my opinion, but still. Dumbledore might be afraid of some things, but I don't think death is one of them -after all, doesn't he say "To the organized mind, death is simply the next great adventure." Dumbledore is nothing if not highly organized.

Grawr. I need munchies.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#44 | Back to Top07-20-2007 12:07:41 AM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Ragnarok wrote:

She has the legal rights to the series and the characters, especially Harry himself. No one can legally write anything in HP Canon without her consent so she doesn't need to kill off a character to make sure they don't appear in someone else's work.

This is currently true. but i do believe that an author only has legal rights to their works for a certain period of time before the need for renewal.

either way, this was just an opinion based off of JK's writings thus far ;)

We all have our own little addictions.

#45 | Back to Top07-20-2007 12:16:07 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

morosemocha wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

I guess we can't rule out his coming back as a ghost -- do we ever learn why Nearly Headless Nick and the rest came back? -- but it strikes me as unlikely.

I hear this theory a lot and it pisses me off to no end. emot-mad Not to say you've pissed me off, bebe, but the people that don't take into account Dumbledore's basic personality and preach this as the Gospel Truth and Something That Will Happen Damn You.

Who is bebe?  Is that me?  I am four-square against the ghost hypothesis!

m&m wrote:

Nick says in the end of 5 -right around when Harry finds Sirius' mirror- that the reason he and others come back as ghosts is basically because they're afraid of death and what might come after.

I'd forgotten about Nick's explanation.  Now I am five-square against the ghost hypothesis!

guardian_rose wrote:

i do believe that an author only has legal rights to their works for a certain period of time before the need for renewal.

I don't know what the law is like in Britain, but in America, copyright persists for seventy years after the author's death.  If British law protects copyright for even a fraction as long, Rowling has no need to worry about anyone resurrecting Harry in her lifetime -- unless, of course, someone resurrects Rowling.

#46 | Back to Top07-20-2007 12:31:58 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Tamago wrote:

Harry Potter's father might have become a all round good person by the time he was killed but as a teenager, he was a smugass dickhead.

That he was. I do recall in Book 3 that Lupin asked Snape if he'd really send an innocent man to Azkaban because of a schoolboy grudge and he never really answered it. That does seem a bit over the top, but perhaps for Snape it's not so much.

#47 | Back to Top07-20-2007 01:18:23 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Copyright

Be that as it may, but it certainly doesn't stop people from making and even publishing fanfics. Nobody has control over that, do they???

In any case, I don't necessarily think James is an all round good person even as an adult. I think he's very kind to Lily and Harry, but I bet he's still the same James as he was back in school days when he's with Sirius and Lupin.

As far as Snape is concerned, in my opinion, I've always felt that his betrayal was a bit sudden since he just sort of confessed about working for Voldemort toward the beginning of book 6.

#48 | Back to Top07-20-2007 02:50:09 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Hiraku wrote:

NOBODY CAN STOP US FROM WRITING FANFICS RIGHT?

Actually I know of two instances where the publishers have offically banned people from writing fanfiction using their characters.

Anne Rice who wrote the Vampire Chronicles hates the very idea of fanfiction and as such has taken her legal right to ban fanfiction based on her works.

The people who own Archie Comics have also banned people from writting fanfiction as they fear that people might protray them as something other than totally wholesome characters and that includes any of them having sex... OH MY!

But for the rest of the writing world, its a stepping stone sometimes to writing their own stuff.

#49 | Back to Top07-20-2007 09:20:41 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I don't think Rowling is going to calculate the worries of copyright infringement into her actual writing of the book, but I still think Harry could be killed because, like Satyreyes said, that's nearly the only way the deaths would balance the sides of good and evil; unless, Snape was made into a tragic hero - by explaining his selfless motives and then giving him a martyr's death. That could go either way. It has to be one of the two main subjects, I don't think we're going to be let off with a side character. 

Last night, I called my Harry Potter friend and said, "What are the chances of myself being able to swipe a book at the release?"
Excellent, I have a spare ticket. We will be dressing up - will you be participating?
"Sure. I do happen to have black cape in my wardrobe." (true, completes the VAMPIRE look)
That won't do. We'll need to get you in a tie, matching the color of the House that you wish to represent. Meet with me in the morning and we'll transfer an emblem of the same house onto a shirt for you as well!
"How's about Hufflepuff?" emot-dance (intentional irritant - because they are Slytherins)
I would be very disappointed with your choice.
“All righty then. I’ll take one Gryffindor, please!”

So it’s settled! Tonight, I’m gonna bring my camera and take pictures of all the lines of Potter fans! I swore I wouldn’t, but I just can’t pass up an evening of dressing up and waiting for something that makes everyone excited! It’s why I love Christmas shopping! emot-keke etc-love

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#50 | Back to Top07-20-2007 09:27:47 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

The thing is, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw really aren't all that important... they're just to make it look so the school isn't divided into the good guys of Gryffindor and the bad guys of Slytherin. The only important student characters not from either of those houses are Cho and Cedric.

Board footer