This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-10-2008 01:33:43 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Random Utena Questions? Possible Analysis and or Anwsers...

I love asking questions and I hope someone would be kind enough to explain? 

I was looking at episode five the sunlit garden part 2. An exchange happens between Miki and Juri while they are Fencing and he finally scores a point. 

She compliments him on his skills and touches on the fact that he has feelings for the rose bride. Also I think that she states the strength of his feelings are helping fight. Miki basically claims to have no idea what she is talking about. Juri says something such as your sword was not meant for battle. emot-confused

I was fine until the last line spoken by Juri. Now Miki and I are in the same spot because, I don't understand what in the hell else is the purpose of his sword if it is not for fighting and or battle. Unless the entire point of that line is to tell him that battling Utena is filled with fail. emot-confused

Sorry if this is confusing but that line stood out to me as kinda strange; in fact it has been in my head for a few days.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#2 | Back to Top07-10-2008 01:58:47 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: Random Utena Questions? Possible Analysis and or Anwsers...

Well, an actual duel and fencing practice certainly aren't the same thing. One's certainly more controlled and predictable, the other's whatever goes. To me, Miki seemed to really be there cause he was smart, and it was a good extra-curricular activity for someone like him.

I don't think I have ever met anyone who fences that I'd actually be afraid would kick my ass. (THAT I'VE MET. There could be some I'm sure, but really.)

Besides, Miki is SO a lover and not a fighter anyway. He wanted everyone to stop dueling cause it wasn't nice. (obligatory sword in his pants mention)

hm. not all too insightful, but that would be my tiny answer.

#3 | Back to Top07-10-2008 02:25:58 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

I love asking questions and I hope someone would be kind enough to explain? 

I was looking at episode five the sunlit garden part 2. An exchange happens between Miki and Juri while they are Fencing and he finally scores a point. 

She compliments him on his skills and touches on the fact that he has feelings for the rose bride. Also I think that she states the strength of his feelings are helping fight. Miki basically claims to have no idea what she is talking about. Juri says something such as your sword was not meant for battle. emot-confused

I was fine until the last line spoken by Juri. Now Miki and I are in the same spot because, I don't understand what in the hell else is the purpose of his sword if it is not for fighting and or battle. Unless the entire point of that line is to tell him that battling Utena is filled with fail. emot-confused

Sorry if this is confusing but that line stood out to me as kinda strange; in fact it has been in my head for a few days.

I can understand what you're getting at. I think the answer lies in Miki's duel and its end result. Now, I'm not entirely up to speed with the nature of fencing these days, but it strikes me as being orchestrated and artistic. It's like a dance with unheard music, which suits Miki down to the ground. I don't know that fencing was itself ever used as a true form of swordplay, although I believe it was training. Not sure. But it's a stark comparison to Saionji, who practices a discipline that harks back to a bloody (though noble) history of swordplay that killed.

Now, swords have one more purpose besides fighting or battle, or at least there's an angle you didn't catch. Swords can kill, but they can also protect. You don't have to play the offensive card to win a swordfight, and you don't have to start a fight to win it. This is Miki, down to the ground. He doesn't start fights, which in Juri's opinion seems to be his weakness. His sword is not an offensive weapon, it's strictly defensive. This is not necessarily a weakness, but all the other student council members are more aggressive than Miki.

As for why he lost and what that has to do with this: Miki lost the duel because he thought he was using his sword in defense of Anthy (which is his strength) and he was in fact using it offensively. Anthy tricked him into thinking she needed to be saved, so he challenged Utena. It's a direct parody of Utena's own induction into the game, although Utena was defending Anthy from Saionji. (OR WAS SHE?) Still, the point stands -- Miki is stronger on the defensive, as when he gets aggressive he loses. No-one else seems to realise this, except Anthy and Akio, who exploit it for their own gain. Or something. I may just be talking out my ass. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#4 | Back to Top07-10-2008 01:49:27 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Clarice wrote:

I may just be talking out my ass. school-devil

Not at all! You perfectly summed up what I wanted to say on the topic. And in a well reasoned way that I hadn't yet reached.

In fact, the only thing I want to add is off topic. Utena's first duel with Saionji isn't to protect Anthy, it's for Wakaba's sake. (Though Utena's doing it selfishly; but as I say, I'm going off topic.)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#5 | Back to Top07-10-2008 08:18:12 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

thanks for the answers emot-biggrin and more random Utena questions to come.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#6 | Back to Top07-11-2008 10:52:52 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Does Anthy really love Utena, or maye she just wants to be rescued? emot-confused