This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-14-2011 12:24:36 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Subcultures

Recently I read some books and articles about subcultures and I have been wondering if you guys identify yourselves as members of subcultures and, if so, do most of your closer friends are the members of the same subculture or not?

Which subcultures are the most popular in the place you live?

Edit:
Actually, I should have posted it in General Dissection

Last edited by dlaire (01-14-2011 12:41:45 PM)

#2 | Back to Top01-14-2011 03:09:39 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Re: Subcultures

I live in a large city so the most common subculture is the thug/hip-hopper. Me personally, I'm not sure where I'd place myself since my interests are so varied. That being said I'll just say I'm a loud and proud GEEK.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#3 | Back to Top01-15-2011 11:20:06 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

I got into the goth scene in college and I went the whole 9 yards: nail polish, eyeliner, dyeing my almost-black hair one shade darker, etc. but now I'm more of a casual goth. I used to go to goth clubs all the time, but now I don't. I still wear mostly black, read and watch morbid stuff, and have an apartment that's always decorated for Halloween. school-devil

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#4 | Back to Top01-15-2011 03:27:52 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I don't know if I fit in any subculture. As a pre-teen I used to be a goth but nowadays I only wear black; but casual. I think I'm more of a geek than any other thing.

In my city, "modernitos" (like, pop culture) is the most popular sub culture. And chavs.

Last edited by Epi_lepsia (01-15-2011 03:28:23 PM)

#5 | Back to Top01-15-2011 06:33:05 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Ah subcultures, on the surface they appear to provide the illusions of individuality and a way to 'Fight The Man', but in reality, they are all just 'special little snowflakes' who provide 'The Man' with billions of dollars in revenue by buying the 'subculture uniforms' and other paraphernalia while claiming that they represent the counter-culture.

#6 | Back to Top01-15-2011 07:30:30 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Or as we call it in the USA: Hot Topic. emot-wink  They do have some neat stuff in that store (I've bought a thing or two there myself!), but all the kids who think that shopping there makes them anti-[you name it] make me laugh. They fail to realize that the clothing companies have them in the palm of their hand.

As for me... I dunno, I'm an anime/video game/sci-fi/fantasy nerd. But I wear it on the inside for the most part. Except for my bedroom which looks like a small anime boutique. emot-keke;

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (01-15-2011 07:30:52 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#7 | Back to Top01-15-2011 09:48:21 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Epi_lepsia wrote:

I don't know if I fit in any subculture. As a pre-teen I used to be a goth but nowadays I only wear black; but casual. I think I'm more of a geek than any other thing.

In my city, "modernitos" (like, pop culture) is the most popular sub culture. And chavs.

Yay for casual black! The only color of clothing worth wearing. :p

Seriously, I have the exact same wardrobe, except I also have like 4 different Gundam Wing shirts... I think I'm going to start collecting them. (Duooooo etc-love)

The only reason I ever leave my house anymore is to play Magic: The Gathering with my friends, so I don't really feel like a part of any subculture. I just kind of do my own thing... in the cave that is my room. I like to call myself an individualist, but it's a thin facade at best. etc-saiowank

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#8 | Back to Top01-16-2011 02:20:46 AM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Add me into the (now) casual goth thing, but I dont wear black 1/10th as much as I did in high school.

#9 | Back to Top01-16-2011 06:55:10 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I don't think I ever really had a subculture, either as a kid in school, or now, as an adult. I wore a lot of black, but I wasn't really part of the goth or metal sets, b/c, well, really, they also lapsed over into the stoner sets. My school was about 85% hispanic of some kind, so interestingly enough, it was more drawn up by racial and national identities. There were the Colombian kids, the Cubano, Brasilians, and Puerto Ricans -and then you had Islanders, and New Yorkers. And let me tell you something, New York Puerto Ricans hate Islander Puerto Ricans, vice versa. And if you mistake a Colombian for a Cuban, you will get fucking knifed. So for all intents and purposes, there were multiple versions of similar things. The Colombian kids who were into dance, and everybody else who was into dance. I don't know if that's a product of national identity, or immigration or something (we had a high number of kids who had moved to Orlando from foreign countries within five years), but it's something I noticed, and to an extant, resented for most of high school.

Or at least, that was my second high school experience. I wasn't even really a part of the anime or artist subcultures at the time, largely because those cliques had formed in Freshman Year, when I was at another school. :shrug: I wore a lot of black, hung out with the few people I knew, failed miserably at my math classes, slept my way through English, and hid in the art labs as much as possible. Whether there's a subculture for that or not, I don't know.

Nowadays, I'm told that I'm "indie" and "hipster" which I think are because I try to use farmers and local markets for shopping as often as possible, and because I love shopping Etsy (curses to Gio for introducing it to me), and the bands I like best (Dashboard, Jack's Mannequin, Belle and Sebastian, LaRoux, among others) fall into that category. But personally, I don't identify myself that way, because I shop in big box stores just as often as I shop local and handmade, and because I also love and adore music from Gaga and Britney Spears.

So here's the thing that I wonder. What creates a subculture? Because it seems to me that the major tags and labels that are created to "define" people, don't. There's too many variables. Is that because of the general atmosphere here in IRG, or is that because the labels are immutable and being applied to people who, by the very nature of growing and existing are always changing? Or do labels and subcultures themselves change over time? Are they as transmutable as people? And why do clothes seem to go hand in hand with a personal label? Even cultures who claim to be all about personal freedoms -say Rastafarians, or Hippies- tend to adopt a uniform of some kind. Is it because people have a psychological need to be like other people? Or to be able to point to a group of people and say "This is where I belong" and have the visual satisfaction of seeing it confirmed?

....dlaire, I'm really sorry I soapboxed all over your thread. emot-frown

Last edited by MissMocha (01-16-2011 06:57:44 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#10 | Back to Top01-16-2011 07:37:05 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

MissMocha wrote:

What creates a subculture? Because it seems to me that the major tags and labels that are created to "define" people, don't. There's too many variables. Is that because of the general atmosphere here in IRG, or is that because the labels are immutable and being applied to people who, by the very nature of growing and existing are always changing? Or do labels and subcultures themselves change over time? Are they as transmutable as people? And why do clothes seem to go hand in hand with a personal label? Even cultures who claim to be all about personal freedoms -say Rastafarians, or Hippies- tend to adopt a uniform of some kind. Is it because people have a psychological need to be like other people? Or to be able to point to a group of people and say "This is where I belong" and have the visual satisfaction of seeing it confirmed?

These are all really interesting questions!  I'm sure we'd all have different answers to them, and those of us looking in on a subculture from the outside might answer in different ways from those who identify as part of it.

I can only speak from personal experience here, but I'll try to get at some answers.  I'd love to say I don't belong to any subculture, and in some ways that's true: I don't have some Platonic ideal of goth/punk/indie that I'm trying to match as closely as possible, and my political and moral beliefs sometimes don't match my friends'.  Still, there's no denying that I'm a cultural geek.  I came of age during the Internet's first burgeoning; my favorite hobby as a kid was computer programming, and my favorite websites in high school were Fark.com and Something Awful.  I still keep up on the viral YouTube videos and Internet kitsch.  In other words, whether I meant to or not, I do share a subculture with other geeks, simply because I know their cultural touchstones -- I catch the Star Wars and Monty Python quotes, I laugh when people say "Final Fantasy XIV makes Farmville look like World of Warcraft," and as much as my literary tastes have improved over the last decade and a half, I still in my heart of hearts think that Raistlin Majere is a badass.

So what if you followed all that -- you share the same geeky cultural background -- but you don't feel a sense of belonging in the geek community, and you don't define yourself in terms of your geekiness?  Are you a geek?  I guess it's a semantic question.  Is subculture about what you act like, who you hang out with, who you are deep inside, or is it as simple as "I say I'm punk, therefore I'm punk?"

ETA: Moved to GD by request.

#11 | Back to Top01-16-2011 02:12:36 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

I listen to punk music, have many piercings, wear punk/alternative clothes and have a mohawk. I am also told I have a punk type 'attitude' (which is total bullshit, I'm a complete pussy apart from when I'm drunk).

Despite this, I fucking love Kate Bush, I love anime/manga/RPGs/reading, look a bit scary in order that people won't bother me/pick on me, have never been to see a proper band or owt because I hate crowds, and am secretly very shy and want people to like me.

So people, even my close friends, call me a punk, but what I actually am is a geek. emot-smile

But I dunno many other geeks like me, just like academic geeks, and I don't know any punks. S'kinda sad. Also normals are really bloody boring to sit around with in my experience.

But yeah, that's the craic-a-laic. At the minute I am a subculture of one.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#12 | Back to Top01-17-2011 08:06:53 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

I have absolutely no idea what subculture I would fit in. emot-tongue Back in 2007 I did a big Rocky Horror group trip with friends I hung out with in high school and they were naming what they'd label us as. I was labeled as punk which wasn't too off the cuff since I did listen to a ton of punk while in middle and high school. I figure it was probably because I more often than not wear sexy military boots around and have tattoos. emot-tongue I was kind of quasi goth, not going all the way but I do mostly wear dark colors anyway and have a love for gothic metal (Type O Negative being one of my favorite bands ever). I would peg myself in the industrial scene since that's my favorite genre but I certainly don't dress the part since a lot of folks in said scene where really complicated (but neat) outfits. emot-tongue

I just view myself as being a dork really. Love music, videogames, anime, tons of sci-fi, mythological creatures (IE werewolves, REAL vampires (real as in not the bullshit that stems from Twilight, ugh)) and D&D (I swear by 2E but I can handle 3E, not too keen on 4E though). I really don't know where I'd put myself.

#13 | Back to Top01-17-2011 05:14:38 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

If there is a subculture, does that mean there is a superculture?

Last edited by Tamago (01-17-2011 05:15:00 PM)

#14 | Back to Top01-17-2011 05:45:44 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I only wear black; but casual. I think I'm more of a geek than any other thing.

Ditto. It's just so much easier to pick what to wear when everything you own is black, dark grey or (very occasionally) white.

In musical taste I'm closest to being a metalhead, but I really don't consider myself a hardcore fan of any band, and I don't bother to follow which ones are famous, and which are too famous - my hardcore metalhead acquaintances get always pissy about liking the "wrong" subgenres or listening to a too mainstream band. Me, I just listen to what I like, which usually means metal, but also classic, movie soundtracks and occasional rock or jazz piece.

It's funny; in some topics I can be quite a snob, but culture, popular or otherwise, isn't one of them. If anything I feel superior to the people who pick a narrow niche and never peek outside it, until the mainstream finds them, at which point it's RUINED FOREVER.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#15 | Back to Top01-17-2011 07:01:39 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Or as we call it in the USA: Hot Topic. emot-wink  They do have some neat stuff in that store (I've bought a thing or two there myself!), but all the kids who think that shopping there makes them anti-[you name it] make me laugh. They fail to realize that the clothing companies have them in the palm of their hand.

As for me... I dunno, I'm an anime/video game/sci-fi/fantasy nerd. But I wear it on the inside for the most part. Except for my bedroom which looks like a small anime boutique. emot-keke;

Also; Hot Topic is very overpriced. Especially considering most of the stuff sold there can be brought pretty much everywhere else now. XD I love listening to the little weeaboo/s at my school when she goes on about how "omg, so i went to hottopic last niiiight, and omg~".

As for me...I dunno. I can think of a few derogatory niches I fit into (the most apparent being the sterotypical fujyoshi/otaku girl). But I don't just focus on one thing. I bounce around between various subspecies of geekdom (art, animu, fashion, warcraft, books, ext.) I guess the umbrella term would just be geek, with an emphasis on animu and mango.

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

#16 | Back to Top01-18-2011 12:44:57 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Lightice wrote:

...my hardcore metalhead acquaintances get always pissy about liking the "wrong" subgenres or listening to a too mainstream band. Me, I just listen to what I like, which usually means metal, but also classic, movie soundtracks and occasional rock or jazz piece.

It's funny; in some topics I can be quite a snob, but culture, popular or otherwise, isn't one of them. If anything I feel superior to the people who pick a narrow niche and never peek outside it, until the mainstream finds them, at which point it's RUINED FOREVER.

That sounds familiar. I was a metalhead in high school, and the other metalheads (and me, at first) were very judgmental about anyone listening to anything non-metal. It happens in all subcultures, but metalheads are probably the worst offenders.

#17 | Back to Top01-18-2011 07:57:31 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

purplepolecat wrote:

Lightice wrote:

...my hardcore metalhead acquaintances get always pissy about liking the "wrong" subgenres or listening to a too mainstream band. Me, I just listen to what I like, which usually means metal, but also classic, movie soundtracks and occasional rock or jazz piece.

That sounds familiar. I was a metalhead in high school, and the other metalheads (and me, at first) were very judgmental about anyone listening to anything non-metal. It happens in all subcultures, but metalheads are probably the worst offenders.

I see your metalheads and raise you hipsters. emot-tongue

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#18 | Back to Top01-18-2011 09:30:04 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Bluesky wrote:

purplepolecat wrote:

Lightice wrote:

I see your metalheads and raise you hipsters. emot-tongue

Hipsters think you're doing everything wrong if you aren't doing it wrong ironically.

#19 | Back to Top01-18-2011 10:22:34 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Epee_724 wrote:

Hipsters think you're doing everything wrong if you aren't doing it wrong ironically.

Too much bloody effort in my opinion.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#20 | Back to Top01-19-2011 11:22:06 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Interesting thread! I'd say I'm part of the otaku/fujoshi subculture rather than a general geek and the biggest subculture in my area would be Christians. Both have really shaped me.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#21 | Back to Top01-19-2011 12:35:12 PM

CoffinBreaker
Rose Bride

I'm kind of a geek/neo-hippie/otaku hybrid, personally. Although the geek/otaku part tends to win out most of the time, I have a strange affinity for folk music and weirdly colored hand-made clothes. And I have a constant yearning to have been around for the 70's emot-redface

You don't need to understand Revolutionary Girl Utena to understand it.

#22 | Back to Top01-20-2011 10:57:41 AM

poetoffire
Mikage Mistruster

I like to call myself a literary freak, because writing, reading, mythology, and history are where my geekiness is focused.  I don't really fit into a subculture, but I feel most "at home" with members of the teen Shakespeare troupe from across the metro of the city I live in.  Other than acting, there's a bit of dissonance between what's enjoyed, although we've figured out we love British things.  Actors as a whole, I feel, tend to be a certain subculture more focused on personality and talent than specific interests.

I wear black every day, with every outfit.  I'm not goth, I'm just lazy.  It works.  My younger cousin said she thought I was scene because I wore black "but not in a sad way".  My style is lightyears from the scene kids.

#23 | Back to Top01-20-2011 12:21:23 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

poetoffire wrote:

I'm not goth, I'm just lazy.

Needs to be on a T-shirt. emot-rofl

#24 | Back to Top01-20-2011 12:22:37 PM

Artsychick
Touga Topper
Website

When I was in high school I kind of kept my geek/nerd/anime personality on the down-low, most people knew I at least watched anime or played tabletop games and I was smart, but it wasn’t overly obvious to a lot of people. I dare say I almost was one of the popular kids (not like I was homecoming queen or anything) but everyone was friendly to me and I never really got picked on, I probably could have had more friends if I didn’t try to keep to myself so much. But I never really wanted to be “popular”, I was happy with my four friends who I could act crazy with and no one would give me a strange look.

Now that I’m in university I am officially queen on the geeks, through one of my friends from high school I met a bunch of new people who would fit into the geek/nerd/anime/video-game subculture (a couple gay and lesbian friends too). But I think I’m still pretty versatile about who I can get along with, I like sports, pop music and current movies just like most people do, I just feel like I can be myself more around people who identify with these subcultures.

As for how I dress, I almost never wear black unless it’s to look dressy, I wear pretty much standard clothes and sometimes dress up, even for school. I don’t really think about clothes too much.

Roses, everywhere! Of every color! In your architecture! In your teacups! In your jam!

#25 | Back to Top01-25-2011 10:11:21 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

Speaking of this thread, I ran into a friend at her job today. She called me anime girl. I was kind of disappoint in myself. :< Do not want be lumped with weeaboos, plz.

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

Board footer