This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top03-13-2012 03:33:36 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Re: The Christian Theme(s) in SKU

Atropos wrote:

Utena is very much a Christ figure, displaying love and sacrifice even after the perpetration of the ultimate sin. She sacrifices herself to liberate Anthy (read: Humanity) from eternal torment. She is killed as a result, but comes back to life.

I'm interested in what makes you think she forgives Anthy if they ever reunite. Jesus loves us no matter what we do, but Utena was shocked and chagrined when Anthy stabbed her in the back.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#27 | Back to Top03-13-2012 03:41:22 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

Atropos wrote:

Utena is very much a Christ figure, displaying love and sacrifice even after the perpetration of the ultimate sin. She sacrifices herself to liberate Anthy (read: Humanity) from eternal torment. She is killed as a result, but comes back to life.

I'm interested in what makes you think she forgives Anthy if they ever reunite. Jesus loves us no matter what we do, but Utena was shocked and chagrined when Anthy stabbed her in the back.

Were we watching the same final episode? emot-smile  Utena was shocked, yeah.  But then she tried to save Anthy from her coffin.  Reached down to her, shouted her name, was devastated when she fell away.  As Atropos said, that is love and sacrifice for Anthy's liberation even after Anthy betrayed and crucified her -- er, stabbed her.  I didn't see any evidence at all that Utena is going to hold a grudge, or that she feels anything but love for Anthy.  That, plus her actions, is what makes her a real prince.  etc-love

#28 | Back to Top03-14-2012 08:36:29 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

The praise of the virtues is the praise of that which is most injurious to the individual. -Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (03-14-2012 08:36:42 PM)

#29 | Back to Top03-15-2012 04:45:29 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Overlord Morgus wrote:

The praise of the virtues is the praise of that which is most injurious to the individual. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I can't presume to speak for you, but as far as I'm concerned, it feels good to help people. Good to be kind, and charitable, and generous. Not as in a 'you'll get rewarded' way, it just feels good.
The idea of the ubermensch is inherently flawed—no matter how brilliant or how awe-inspiring their ultimate goal may be, no single man will triumph if they are in complete opposition to the morals of the rest of society.

#30 | Back to Top03-15-2012 06:31:54 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

I'd be delighted to see a legitimate discussion of Utena and Nietzsche, but I think it would merit a separate threads and lengthier citations. emot-tongue

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#31 | Back to Top03-15-2012 07:10:35 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Theoretically, the ubermensch would cause weaker wills to be drawn to his ideals, his metaphor was that of the "river pulling the gravel." Personally, I think the "ubermensch" is as much as a herd instinct construct as anything else.

#32 | Back to Top03-15-2012 11:51:35 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

dirufacade wrote:

I'd be delighted to see a legitimate discussion of Utena and Nietzsche, but I think it would merit a separate threads and lengthier citations. emot-tongue

This is correct!  Personally, I suggest this thread, entitled "SKU and Nietzsche."  emot-wink

#33 | Back to Top03-15-2012 06:18:02 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

dirufacade wrote:

We're still talking about Utena? emot-confused

#34 | Back to Top03-20-2012 01:46:34 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

satyreyes wrote:

Were we watching the same final episode? emot-smile  Utena was shocked, yeah.  But then she tried to save Anthy from her coffin.  Reached down to her, shouted her name, was devastated when she fell away.  As Atropos said, that is love and sacrifice for Anthy's liberation even after Anthy betrayed and crucified her -- er, stabbed her.  I didn't see any evidence at all that Utena is going to hold a grudge, or that she feels anything but love for Anthy.  That, plus her actions, is what makes her a real prince.  etc-love

I don't know. You can be upset with somebody and still save them. We don't subject prisoners to cruel and unusual punishment but that doesn't mean we're lenient with them either.  It just seems more realistic for Utena to be upset with Anthy if she ever met her in the real world. I'm not saying she wouldn't forgive her but it would take an awfully long time. That's my opinion, anyway.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#35 | Back to Top03-21-2012 11:47:51 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Hmm. Maybe it's something that would veer back and forth? I do think that overall, Utena very much wanted to save Anthy, and believes she'd forgive her. (After all, by that point, even Utena has to see that Anthy wasn't exactly acting on her own.)

At the same time, some injuries go deep, and I have to wonder whether Utena's as capable of complete forgiveness as she thinks. Would there be some lingering bitterness? A more argumentative relationship? Utena and Anthy have a relationship that, despite everything, is still built around the personality Anthy displays to her. We find out near the end that isn't necessarily her real personality, and though Utena may love her, she doesn't yet know what it would be like to deal with the 'real' Anthy day to day. At the end of the show, the two are driven together, despite differences and perhaps enormous rifts in their relationship, by need. Things reach a head, and they don't have time to iron out how to deal with the various hurts they've inflicted on each other. In a quieter aftermath, wouldn't some of these things surface?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#36 | Back to Top03-21-2012 12:33:55 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

There are no Christian themes, I'm happy to say. None. To see any is an exercise in make-believe and false correlation, period.

#37 | Back to Top03-21-2012 04:52:30 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

To read anything into this series is an exercise in make-believe then. We should take it all just at face value. That sounds absolutely brilliant. emot-rolleyes

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#38 | Back to Top03-23-2012 09:21:47 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

The fact remains that there is a fair bit of Christian iconography in it, or there seems to be, starting with Utena's (and Akio's) name and ending with that scene that evokes Michelangelo's Creation of Adam. There is probably even more Shinto and Buddhist iconography that is breezing right past us. (I think Anthy might be Kanon but need to do more research.) We don't know how deep an understanding Ikuhara & Co. have about what the Christian themes actually mean but since they seem to be educated people with wide-ranging knowledge it's legitimate to discuss.

#39 | Back to Top04-04-2012 06:31:48 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

The word I believe would be appropriate here is agape.
MORE STUFF: I just had the idea that Utena's receiving the Rose Signet from Dios rather than End of the World could correspond to Jesus' virgin birth, and the duel with Mikage is in some ways similar to casting the merchants out of the temple.

Last edited by Atropos (07-03-2012 12:56:50 PM)

Board footer