This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-14-2007 11:48:44 AM

Wolfio
Miki Molester

Re: SKU and the Zodiac

Was still worth a shot. I've heard the Japanese care more about bloodtype than the Zodiac in general, it's possible that they just threw random birthdays for all the characters. I do hope this isn't the case though.

#27 | Back to Top06-14-2007 11:52:36 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Hiraku wrote:

Shiori being B type Aquarius, the description I'm reading does not match her personality at all since it says that B type Aquarius does not want to be bound by the limits of wealth, fame, and position <-Really, now... emot-frown

Okay, maybe the idea of looking at their blood type wasn't the best idea, but at least it's worth a try...

I think a made a comment somewhere about Shiori's star sign, I was surprised they picked a star sign that was the VERY opposite of her personality.

I think everyones going wide eye'd on the Virgo-Akio thing (so am I). I think Giovanna's Akio site does say interesting things about Virgo in relation to Dios and Akio.

#28 | Back to Top06-14-2007 04:21:08 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Coco Melancholy wrote:

I think everyones going wide eye'd on the Virgo-Akio thing (so am I).

Virgos are:

Modest and shy
Meticulous and reliable
Practical and diligent
Intelligent and analytical

On the dark side....

Fussy and a worrier
Overcritical and harsh
Perfectionist and conservative

Well, looking at that makes me understand how this could be Dios more than Akio. All of those terms up there sound pretty accurate. All those good things listed above are what make him a good prince. He's modest, reliable, detail-oriented, and intelligent. Even some of the negative points are just positive aspects in excess. Modesty turns into being conservative. Diligence becomes fussiness and perfectionism, and being analytical easily degrades into vicious nitpicking and criticizing.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#29 | Back to Top06-15-2007 04:28:30 AM

Starfire
Rose Smilee

I agree, they did get Anthy as Pisces spot on. I mean the sign itself, of two fish one above the other, shows the duality of a Pisces personality. The whole thing of a water sign too - you see a clam facade e.g. a lake but underneath is a waterfall...

You know you want to. You need to. You have no choice. Do it.

#30 | Back to Top06-15-2007 10:47:21 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Starfire wrote:

I agree, they did get Anthy as Pisces spot on. I mean the sign itself, of two fish one above the other, shows the duality of a Pisces personality. The whole thing of a water sign too - you see a clam facade e.g. a lake but underneath is a waterfall...

I know, they really did didn't they? I mean, I'm so proud of them. I think Linda even said that Pisces women seem all sweet and wonderful, but are famous for having double lives. Did I forget to write how Pisceans are supposed to make good actors. I'm just.....I'm just so proud......such a difficult character like Anhty.....to get that well.....so proud.....so proud....

#31 | Back to Top06-15-2007 03:24:38 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

This was an interesting paragraph I found about Pisces:

They are never egotistical in their personal relationships and give more than they ask from their friends. They are sexually delicate, in the extreme almost asexual, and most Pisceans would want a relationship in which the partner's mind and spirit rather than the body resonated with their own. Unfortunately they can be easily misled by a lover who courts them delicately and in marriage makes them unhappy by a coarser sexuality than they expected. They are nevertheless intensely loyal and home-loving and will remain faithful.

Sounds like Anthy to me.

EDIT: And I wanted to add this here about Miki and Kozue. Keep in mind that they're Geminis, the most dual-natured zodiac sign. Touga is a Gemini too, but I'll get into that later.  I don't think I can dismiss the twins being under the sign of the Twins as being a corny in-joke or coincidence. Gemini is also the sign of youth. emphasized by Mercury as its ruling planet.

Geminis are prone to taking unnecessary risks and wind up harming yourself or others in the process. Sometimes pursuing pleasure too vigorously could also qualify as risk taking.

I believe we just found Kozue. emot-biggrin

But a lot of the description is that they're all these wonderful things(smart, charismatic, witty, fun, flirtatious, sharp, etc.) but they lose interest in things and people fast. As an added bonus, they're occasionally amoral, flighty, superficial, and sneaky as hell. Now it seems like a lot of this sounds like Kozue, and not like Miki AT ALL(beyond being smart and charismatic), but I think that's why they get to be Gemini; both Miki and Kozue don't embody all of the characteristics...yet.  Miki has some, Kozue has some, and they share the rest.

Miki gets to be the smart one, clever enough to form a winning strategy in fencing, but not enough to bulldoze Utena like Touga(the other Gemini) did. Kozue is clever and charismatic, getting the attention of any guy she wants, even her brother. However, she's fickle in multiple areas. She could be everything Miki is, if she didn't lose interest so quickly. Also Geminis are all about the ego-stroking, and Miki got it all from Kozue's perspective.

Also like children, they demand attention, admiration, and the spending on them of time, energy and money, throwing tantrums if they don't get what they want.

Now, theoretically, all the things that make us think of Kozue should make us think of Touga. Since he's not a twin, Touga has the full Gemini package: intelligence, cleverness, charisma, amorality, flightiness, and shallowness. Now his disappearance during most of the Black Roze Arc can be explained with this:

They(Geminis) reflect every change in their surroundings, like chameleons, and can become pessimistic, sullen, peevish and materialistically self-centered if circumstances force them to struggle in any way. If the conditions of life become really adverse, their strength of will may desert them entirely. They can become uncertain of themselves, either withdrawn, or nervously excitable worriers, sullenly discontented, hard and irritable, with "Self" looming ever larger in their struggles.

And what was the second Utena/Touga duel called again?

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (06-15-2007 04:55:56 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#32 | Back to Top06-15-2007 11:30:58 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I can see Akio as a Virgo with a Scorpio moon, it makes sense, because there is much evidence of Akio's sexual prowess convincing us of a scorpio -like tendency, after all Scorpio rules the groin.
I wish I knew my blood type.
According to the Indian-like zodiac described on page one, I am a cancer. I like being a Leo, but everyone seems to hate them, I don't know why.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#33 | Back to Top06-16-2007 02:02:22 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

I agree. And maybe Libra in he's rising since it's supposed to be the goody two shoes mask. I find it to be the opposite. In practice everyone loves Leo's and nobody likes Cancer's, well they like their sense of humour, but complain about them more than any other sign O.o, especially the guys.

Oh yes, Kozue and Miki are the twins aren't they. Since they're a dual sign I always pegged Miki as having the traites of one twin and Kozue the other.

Persephone wrote:

I can see Akio as a Virgo with a Scorpio moon, it makes sense, because there is much evidence of Akio's sexual prowess convincing us of a scorpio -like tendency, after all Scorpio rules the groin.
I wish I knew my blood type.
According to the Indian-like zodiac described on page one, I am a cancer. I like being a Leo, but everyone seems to hate them, I don't know why.

They(Geminis) reflect every change in their surroundings, like chameleons, and can become pessimistic, sullen, peevish and materialistically self-centered if circumstances force them to struggle in any way. If the conditions of life become really adverse, their strength of will may desert them entirely. They can become uncertain of themselves, either withdrawn, or nervously excitable worriers, sullenly discontented, hard and irritable, with "Self" looming ever larger in their struggles.

And what was the second Utena/Touga duel called again?

Interesting.

#34 | Back to Top06-16-2007 03:45:48 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

I think it is rather funny that Utena and Saionji share the same element, yet they have never got along well.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#35 | Back to Top06-16-2007 05:39:56 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Tenjou_sailorsaturn wrote:

I think it is rather funny that Utena and Saionji share the same element, yet they have never got along well.

You mean how they're stubbornly idealistic?? emot-confused In that case it'd be BECAUSE of the fact that they're so stubbornly idealistic, they fail to see what others really want, wouldn't it? emot-confused Or at least wouldn't want to admit it even if the truth flashes before them in giant billboard

Last edited by Hiraku (06-16-2007 05:40:19 AM)

#36 | Back to Top07-30-2009 11:43:39 AM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Necro-ing, because I want to add my two cents on the subject.

I actually think the creators put at least some thought into the character's astrological signs. Even though the sign itself may not relate to the character, the sign's ruling planet(s) and its house do.

For example, Anthy and Wakaba (to me) are perfect Pisces. Anthy as a Pisces is pretty obvious. Pisces are the psychics and escapists, Neptune (the planet of illusions and dreams) rules the sign, and the 12th house is traditionally the house of secrets and self-undoing. Taking the million swords is something a true Pisces would do. Yet, at the same time, I think Wakaba makes a perfect Pisces too. That's because I think Wakaba is channeling the more positive and Jupiter (Pisces old ruling planet) aspects of Pisces. Of course Wakaba isn't always happy; she has her own illusions about Saionji. Though the scene in episode 12 where Wakaba is trying get Utena back to her own brand of normal? Very Pisces-like (with a bit of Aries in Mercury). I'm probably missing a thousand and two points I wanted to make about these two but I want to get to the main point of this post.

Another proof that the creators knew what they were doing is the lack of Scorpios. When I noted the lack of Scorpios in the cast (even though it's quite tempting to turn Akio into one) I almost jumped for joy. Seriously. Scorpios are the masters of transformations and cycles. They can hold onto emotions forever (a cycle of sorts) but (without help from others) they can free themselves from the cycle. In the terms of SKU, a Scorpio doesn't need to fight for the power of revolutionize the world because they already have it. They just need to use it.

And as far as Akio's sun sign goes, all the other signs really don't fit. He isn't emotional enough to be a water sign, he isn't hot headed enough to be a fire sign, he isn't detached enough to be an air sign, he isn't starting new projects left and right like a cardinal sign, and he (Dios really) isn't fixed in his ways like a fixed sign. By process of elimination we only have one sign combination left: mutable earth i.e. Virgo.

Last edited by Malacoda (07-30-2009 03:23:40 PM)

#37 | Back to Top07-30-2009 01:42:12 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

[I wouldn't worry about reviving threads...somehow I think it's encouraged if you have something to add not that I ever do so.]

With Akio, I see his sign as Virgo to be sort of a form of an irony on one part since the idea of him being born in the sign of the virgin is laughable.  However, that aside, Akio does seem to have an aura around him I associate with the sign...cleanliness, exacting execution, mentally acute, etc.

Anthy and Wakaba, too, make me think of the typical Pisceans.  Anthy for obvious reasons (magic, playing the role that anyone wants her to play, having an aura of sweetness whether it's real or not.) and Wakaba...well, she certainly reminds me of an old friend of the same sign.

Touga's Gemini, I believe, and he has a very quick mind and an almost dual nature between being princely and being a manipulative skank, not to make generalizations.  And as for Miki and Kozue also being Geminis, well, that's obvious to put them of that sign since they are the 'twins.'

And with Utena, a Capricorn, she does seem to show the stereotypical traits of perseverance, holding a sense of rectitude, and being a bit naive of people's feelings and maybe being a bit dishonest about hers.  She is very dedicated to her goal.  In many ways, I identify with her on those points (Heh, I'm even a Capricorn myself, not that that is the reason why, but just pointing that out) and even though I probably am closer to bearing Anthy's character, I identified with Utena first and foremost when I began watching SKU.

But considering how much care was put into the TV anime in wrapping in motifs from all sources, I think it's fair to think there was some attention placed to the signs, though I realize that could be mere coincidence since Saito established the birthdays and whatnot, though I wouldn't be terribly shocked if Ikuhara and herself took some advantage of that.

Of course, this, as always, is mere speculation, but that's the fun of it.

edit: Heh, some of my favorite people and mentors are Scorpios. lol.

Last edited by spoon-san (07-30-2009 01:46:18 PM)

#38 | Back to Top07-30-2009 02:04:20 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I never understood why most other forums are so against necroing threads that haven't been used in some time, after all, there are new people who also would have liked to contribute to a tread if they were around when it was around, not to mention the fact that at a later date, a lot of people who did contribute, may have changed their minds or thought up a new angle or something.

#39 | Back to Top07-30-2009 02:25:07 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Tamago wrote:

I never understood why most other forums are so against necroing threads that haven't been used in some time, after all, there are new people who also would have liked to contribute to a tread if they were around when it was around, not to mention the fact that at a later date, a lot of people who did contribute, may have changed their minds or thought up a new angle or something.

Heh, I agree completely, though because most forums will raise hell if you do, I personally prefer for others to take the initiative and just join in when someone does.  It's kinda pathetic, but at least I'm honest.

So respect to IRG necromancers.

I also wanted to add that Nanami, IMO, makes the perfect Leo.  I mean, she's got it all...the drama, the dominance, the passion.  Doesn't mean she would be someone I'd want to live with, though.  I'd feel more insane than I do feel already these days, heh. [/dry humor]

#40 | Back to Top07-30-2009 02:43:44 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

spoon-san wrote:

Heh, I agree completely, though because most forums will raise hell if you do, I personally prefer for others to take the initiative and just join in when someone does.  It's kinda pathetic, but at least I'm honest.

So respect to IRG necromancers.

Here Here!

I also wanted to add that Nanami, IMO, makes the perfect Leo.  I mean, she's got it all...the drama, the dominance, the passion.  Doesn't mean she would be someone I'd want to live with, though.  I'd feel more insane than I do feel already these days, heh. [/dry humor]

It also doesn't hurt that with her hair colour and hairstyle, she kinda looks like a lion.

#41 | Back to Top07-30-2009 02:58:14 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

(Now I want to cosplay an Abhorsen. Where's a bell bandolier when you need one?)

Nanami is such a stereotypical bad!Leo that it hurts. emot-gonk

I've found it a bit ironic that Utena is a Capricorn. Capricorn's ruling planet is Saturn (the cosmic rule enforcer, the one who limits) and throughout SKU various Saturn-esque figures (Akio, the guidance counselor) try their hardest to limit Utena.

Board footer