This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top08-15-2013 09:47:24 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

Re: Any gym rats here?

I'm not a gym rat, even though I'm paying for planet fitness black membership. I go to martial arts a few times a month and I stole The Rack, from my Dad.

I just get really frustrated very easily with workouts- I HATE pain.

I've never been particularly athletic.

I don't really know what I'm doing.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#102 | Back to Top08-18-2013 02:36:00 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Played up a division, 4.0 instead of 3.5, and managed to take 2nd place. Lost a fantastic final that was tied 7-7 in the third until my opponent dug in and hit 2 great shots to seize victory.

Feel both exhausted and accomplished. My fitness was not what it could have been, but I hung in there and never surrendered. I was behind 0-5 in the first set and came back to force a tiebreaker at 6-6.

This is probably the most satisfied I have ever been with a loss. No regrets. emot-smile

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#103 | Back to Top08-18-2013 04:53:41 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Congrats on playing well in a higher division, Ashnod! Paradox and I had a nice hit around today. My serve is slowly coming around and he's starting to learn how to serve as well.

#104 | Back to Top10-22-2013 07:14:17 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

After several humiliating runs, emot-mad I have finally decided to ask for help.

I have a variety of questions.

1.) I've been running 5 days a week, managing only minor injuries. However, my runs are never speedy or long enough. How do I fix that?

2.) Is running every day bad? If so, what other activity can I sub in between runs so as not to affect the later runs but still give me the boost?

3.) Caffeine: should I be taking it? It feels too much like performance enhancing and seems like cheating to me.

4.) Music: should I be cranking it? It feels too much like performance enhancing and seems like cheating to me.

Yours truly,

-GottaGoFast

#105 | Back to Top10-22-2013 07:17:23 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I wouldn't mind hearing folks' answers to Florence's questions, either.  I'm running fast enough -- 7:30 miles is fast enough for me -- but I have plateaued at four of them at a time and I want to do thirteen.  I run three days a week.  I use music and unashamedly own that it enhances my performance.

#106 | Back to Top10-22-2013 09:19:07 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I like going down and watching the two schools of women swordfighters train facing each other in the park (every Tuesday afternoon, 1:30 to 3:00, which means I only get to see fifteen minutes), and occasionally someone will bribe me with a boxed lunch if I cheer for their school and sub for someone's practice partner, but nothing in my life makes me realize how lazy I am than watching them run drills over and over so damned fast and hard, all while maintaining antagonism to the other school standing on the other side of the park from them. My torso hurts just watching them (and then my shame motivates me to do extra push ups that night).

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#107 | Back to Top10-23-2013 05:31:52 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I don't feel particularly qualified to answer running questions, as I'm certainly not an expert. Take all of my answers with a grain of salt. Or two. Or 50.

1.) I've been running 5 days a week, managing only minor injuries. However, my runs are never speedy or long enough. How do I fix that?

I wish I knew. After talking with my PCP and a Cardiologist and various other expensive MDs, I've "decided" I probably have some mild sort of exercise induced asthma or other respiratory deal. I should see someone again, but I've seen so many doctors for this lately and it's racked up enough charges (and has no bearing on any of my life outside of running) that I just shifted workouts away from running and towards lifting and other forms of cardio that don't seem to bother me. So I was never really able to get to a nice fast or long place with my runs in the end. For now, at least.

2.) Is running every day bad? If so, what other activity can I sub in between runs so as not to affect the later runs but still give me the boost?

I'd give my body some breaks. Running extensively probably isn't quite the same thing as repeatedly lifting heavy weights every day, and it's a different sort of exercise, but you're still definitely putting a lot of impact on your body when you run (and you're still definitely working out those muscles). I have no clue what the best breakdown of a running schedule would be, and I suspect the answer differs entirely based on your ability and your goals (are you just trying to fit-up, or are you training for a marathon you have serious aspirations of winning, etc). I suspect even just taking like, two days a week off would have your body thanking you though.

If you just want a cardio work out, you could probably mix up some rowing with your running. That still uses your legs, but in a much lower impact way and not to the same extent. I've heard runners talk a lot about using cycles to train when coming off of injuries as well, so a spin bike might be a good low impact alternative too. An eliptical is also low impact, and will manage to burn more calories/hour than the previous choices if that's your thing.

3.) Caffeine: should I be taking it? It feels too much like performance enhancing and seems like cheating to me.

If caffeine is cheating, I cheat to manage every single day of my life....

I wouldn't worry about having caffeine at all, as long as you're getting your real nutrition and real energy sources along with it. That's what matters, and you need that to repair the tissue when it's damaged from lots of use. So don't use caffeine as a substitute for sustenance or anything.... but unless you're trying something silly like that, hey. Millions of people take it to get up. God knows I do. There's no reason you can't too.

4.) Music: should I be cranking it? It feels too much like performance enhancing and seems like cheating to me.

Music as cheating? Really? You're way too concerned with cheating, especially if this is coming from an individual fitness improvement perspective (where you're only competing against yourself in the first place). At any rate, what matters is the effort you're putting in your workouts, and the nutrition and recovery that you're getting. That stuff will impact your results. If music is able to help you psychologically work harder, then great. The work is what matters, and if you aren't putting in 100% effort without music than you're not getting 100% out of your time. And I guarantee music isn't able to magically put you over 100% effort somehow. But music can definitely help your mood, or distract you from minor pain or boredom, or get you in a rhythm. There's a reason music is used in a billion gym-classes, from zumba to spin-cycle and everything in between. Don't deprive yourself of reasonable comforts just for the sake of depriving yourself. If music lets you have more fun or enables you to work harder, those are both hands-down pros.

Last edited by Valeli (10-24-2013 01:11:58 AM)

#108 | Back to Top10-24-2013 03:43:14 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

When I run, I run five days a week, and I vary the distance and tempo, because the only way to learn to run faster or longer is to run faster or longer. For instance, if I'm at about the point in my training where I'm knocking out 4 miles at 8 minutes per mile, I might do something like this:

Mon: 4 miles, 8:00 per mile (I wear a stopwatch and know my route)
Tues: 3 miles, 7:30 per mile
Wed: 3.5 miles, 8:00 per mile
Thurs: 5 miles, 8:00 per mile ideally, slower if necessary to finish
Fri:4: 4 miles, 8:00 per mile

Alternating Tuesdays, I'll run an easy mile to the high school track, then do a set of intervals, 8 all-out 1/4 mile sprints punctuated by 60 second rests, then an easy mile home.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#109 | Back to Top11-21-2013 08:01:34 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

So I joined a gym last week, and went in this week and did 3 days of cardio, with bonus eye-fucking cute buff men who were flexible etc-wankgirl multitasking for the win! 

Can any one suggest and really good fast running/walking/dance music? I need all the help that I can get to keep going, 

TheOnlyFlorence

Ok, I agree with Valeli's points and I just wanted to add a few things. Congrats on exercising! Listen to your body regarding the minor injuries, a small change in shoes or location might help. Also consider what you eat or don't before you work out, it can impact your exercising.

Regarding the caffeine and music, those are not cheating and in all honestly you, I, and a lot of humanity would not make it to the gym with out them. I really could not see going to the gym and being on the elliptical for 1hr with out my Ipod and my uppers. As long as you are not over-caffeinating and destroying your ear drums rock on!

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#110 | Back to Top02-27-2014 04:35:44 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

So, what is a healthy heart rate for a 29-year-old doing distance running in the middle of a workout?  I am worried that the mid-170s is too high, and that's what I'm at, and I don't know what to do about it. emot-frown

#111 | Back to Top02-27-2014 07:32:41 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#112 | Back to Top03-02-2014 10:56:43 AM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Well, I caved. As I've been working longer and longer days, I've needed some help maintaining focus. Caffeine (in the form of Red Bull) has been a god-send for me. It also has gotten me back up to running consistent 5Ks each workout.

#113 | Back to Top03-02-2014 11:14:29 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Paradox is developing a six-pack. It's drool-worthy. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love For my part, I've lost all of the weight I gained when I started working full-time in 2009. I've still got quite a bit of body fat to get rid of, but it's been a steady, nice improvement over time.

Our typical workouts:
Monday - 30 minute circuit training or strength training DVD
Tuesday - Run 30 minutes
Wednesday - 30 minute circuit training or strength training DVD
Thursday - Ride exercise bike 50 minutes
Friday - 60 minute circuit training or strength training DVD
Saturday - 5k run in the morning, 50 minute bike ride in the evening
Sunday - Rest

Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays vary a little. Week 1 I run Tuesday & Saturday (AM) and ride on Thursday & Saturday (PM). Week 2 I ride Tuesday & Saturday (AM & PM) and only run on Thursday. I've alternated these through the winter, although once it gets warm enough to run outside, I'll probably start running twice a week every week (keeping the weekday run on the treadmill). I've got problems with my IT band and so I can't run very often or it starts causing me problems. My increased speed has helped a lot recently, but running outside almost always aggravates it at least a bit.

I also walk during my AM and PM breaks at work (15 minutes each).

Our current challenge is to halt Paradox's weight loss. He's at what looks to be the perfect size for him, so we're stocking up on healthy and caloric options for him to snack on. Meanwhile, I've still got some weight to lose, so it's a little bit of a challenge finding the right way for him to eat more while I continue to eat at a more restricted-level. Even when I start maintaining my weight it'll be a challenge since he's got 8 inches on me and needs more fuel than I do. We'll figure it out though! Paradox joining me in my workouts and sharing my improved eating habits has made all the difference the past 6 months.

#114 | Back to Top03-18-2014 01:04:43 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Having finally gotten a "smart-phone," I've been able to play with "apps" being used by the "teen-agers" of to-day.

And anyone who runs, jogs, walks, or is interested in trying any of those things might like to turn on the GPS and experiment with Zombies, Run!  While there are ample zombie novels, zombie video games, zombie movies, zombie erotica, etc., there is a distinct shortage of zombie exercise apps.  This one makes the retrospectively obvious extension of "people in zombie media have to run for their lives a lot" into "if you were in zombie media, you would have to run for your life a lot."

So, you download the app, start up a mission, and get moving.  The people of the zombie-beset Abel Township narrate to you between the songs on your playlist.  Periodically, you are attacked by zombies.  You escape by putting on a burst of speed -- which is to say, moving faster than you were moving before the attack, however fast that was.  And throughout your run you pick up supplies -- a bottle of water, a first-aid kit, a mobile phone -- to bring back to Abel Township and help the town survive.  It's just this side of an ARG, and a lot of fun!

#115 | Back to Top03-18-2014 11:32:19 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

I haven't been to the gym in forever. emot-frown Maybe I should cancel my membership, so I don't waste so much money on something I don't even do. I just keep telling myself that I'll start working out again, but I can barely find the motivation to leave the bed lately, so it's hard to find the motivation for anything else.

I'm such a waste of space, etc.

#116 | Back to Top03-18-2014 12:12:32 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Lurv wrote:

I haven't been to the gym in forever. emot-frown Maybe I should cancel my membership, so I don't waste so much money on something I don't even do. I just keep telling myself that I'll start working out again, but I can barely find the motivation to leave the bed lately, so it's hard to find the motivation for anything else.

I'm such a waste of space, etc.

It's hard out here for a pimp. emot-frown

A few things you have probably already heard: for many people, exercise improves mood; achieving a goal (like exercise) often improves mood; "depression leads to inactivity leads to depression" is an important vicious cycle; don't give up.

Another thing you might have heard: sometimes social accountability helps.  We have a thread going, here, where you can sign up for a (free) website called HabitRPG that gamifies your routine and goals.  You're welcome to join IRG's in-game "party" -- just post or PM me your user ID -- and not only will we all fight dragons together by doing our chores, but I'll also create an optional exercise challenge, and anyone who joins will be able to see how the others are doing.

Good luck etc-love

#117 | Back to Top03-18-2014 01:06:44 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

satyreyes wrote:

Another thing you might have heard: sometimes social accountability helps.  We have a thread going, here, where you can sign up for a (free) website called HabitRPG that gamifies your routine and goals.  You're welcome to join IRG's in-game "party" -- just post or PM me your user ID -- and not only will we all fight dragons together by doing our chores, but I'll also create an optional exercise challenge, and anyone who joins will be able to see how the others are doing.

Good luck etc-love

Oh, I've been playing RPGhabit for a while, actually. I keep dying, though. >_>

Also, feeling like I need to be social to be motivated to do anything doesn't give me much comfort, but that's another problem.

Last edited by Lurv (03-18-2014 01:29:25 PM)

#118 | Back to Top04-04-2014 10:00:13 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Have you tried getting a workout buddy, Lurv? It helps motivate me.

I rejoined the YMCA yesterday and have started the basic eight weight machines with my best friend.  What I like about the YMCA is that there's no pressure to simply look hot and the friendly staff. I don't necessarily want to be a model. I just need to get back to a healthy weight for my height.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#119 | Back to Top04-04-2014 11:32:07 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I have run a 5K on ten days out of the last twelve.  emot-dance  My workout buddy has been, and remains, zombies, but I've also been going to a group run on Thursdays.  I haven't really talked to anyone there yet, but there is a solidarity among runners that helps push me forward.  Yesterday I am pretty sure I finished fourth out of a group of about sixty people, and that was spirit-lifting. emot-smile  It was almost fifth.  A girl was ahead of me for most of the run.  She's a fast and determined runner, and last week she beat me.  This week I passed her during a zombie chase and put some space between us.  She caught up, and we pushed each other pretty hard for the last two or three minutes.  It's not a competitive run at all, but if a little competitive spirit helps me run better, well... emot-smile

#120 | Back to Top04-08-2014 04:22:46 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Riri-kins wrote:

Have you tried getting a workout buddy, Lurv? It helps motivate me.

Hmm, I could try that, but I'm not sure if I know anyone I could work out with. Don't really have any real life friends I usually interact with outside of meet-ups.

Oh, I might want to get some new shoes to jog in too. Don't find the ones I have now that comfortable.

#121 | Back to Top04-08-2014 05:13:53 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Lurv wrote:

Oh, I might want to get some new shoes to jog in too. Don't find the ones I have now that comfortable.

Running shoes should always fit well and be comfortable.  Important for avoiding injury as well as looking forward to putting them on.  Definitely get a better pair! emot-smile  If possible, go to a real shoe store with staff who will help fit you.  Hopefully they will let you go outside with the shoes and take a quick jog up the sidewalk to test the fit.

#122 | Back to Top04-08-2014 10:29:36 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

satyreyes wrote:

Lurv wrote:

Running shoes should always fit well and be comfortable.  Important for avoiding injury as well as looking forward to putting them on.  Definitely get a better pair! emot-smile  If possible, go to a real shoe store with staff who will help fit you.  Hopefully they will let you go outside with the shoes and take a quick jog up the sidewalk to test the fit.

Don't most running shops let you hop on a treadmill for a few minutes to feel it out? That's my experience, at least.

Also, training for a marathon in 7 months. I think this is an obtainable goal. I've worked up to 13 miles a week, and the program I'm on allows for recovery weeks, as well as a month or so of sprints towards a plateau-y time. So.. yeah? Please cheer for me? emot-smile

#123 | Back to Top04-09-2014 01:44:01 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

TheOnlyFlorence wrote:

Don't most running shops let you hop on a treadmill for a few minutes to feel it out? That's my experience, at least.

I know one that does, but I got my running shoes at an ordinary, if large, shoe store.  They have a better selection than the specialty stores I know, plus employees who know about shoes specifically.  No treadmill, though.

Also, training for a marathon in 7 months. I think this is an obtainable goal. I've worked up to 13 miles a week, and the program I'm on allows for recovery weeks, as well as a month or so of sprints towards a plateau-y time. So.. yeah? Please cheer for me? emot-smile

Wow!!  Train hard.  This week I'm all proud of myself for running forty miles in seven days, but I didn't do more than eight at a time -- and I've never run more than a half marathon in one go.  You have, literally and figuratively, a long journey ahead of you.  Good luck!!  No slacking.  emot-tongue

#124 | Back to Top04-09-2014 07:13:49 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

I think there's supposed to be a store that lets you run on a treadmill around here, but I don't know where it is. :S (Lol I've lived here for nearly seven years and barely know how to get around... it's not even that big a city.)

#125 | Back to Top04-10-2014 12:27:32 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Lurv wrote:

Hmm, I could try that, but I'm not sure if I know anyone I could work out with. Don't really have any real life friends I usually interact with outside of meet-ups.

Keds are your best friend when it comes to running shoes. They last a long time.

I did my first cardio workout yesterday and I swear I felt it in my right glute the whole time. It was awesome.  Plus I've lost my first pound.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

Board footer