This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#151 | Back to Top08-16-2007 07:19:35 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Re: HARRY POTTER DISCUSSION THREAD HERE!!!

More guts and more skill. But she strikes me as more a servant type than master. She's in love with the idea of control and regulations, regardless of whether they're morally right or wrong. For Umbridge, The System is to be supported no matter who's running it, because it represents ultimate power over how everyone else must live. Even though she's certainly had unique ideas on how to enforce the rules, I don't know if she'd do as well at the very top of the power structure. As you say, it takes guts to reach for that.

... So why is it nothing awful happend to her? emot-mad

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#152 | Back to Top08-16-2007 07:25:18 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Ragnarok wrote:

Yeah I know, I was really hoping that JK would include a paragraph on the destruction of Umbridge, but she didn't.

sometimes you make me feel
like I知 living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#153 | Back to Top08-16-2007 07:33:52 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Sevelle wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

Yeah I know, I was really hoping that JK would include a paragraph on the destruction of Umbridge, but she didn't.

She tried to kill her, but she just wouldn't die. Like a cockroach, I think.

#154 | Back to Top08-17-2007 10:23:05 AM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

She tried to kill her, but she just wouldn't die. Like a cockroach, I think.

Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!

you said

#155 | Back to Top08-20-2007 06:33:48 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Well Joe Bonano died peacefully at age 100 and so will Karl Rove. That is in fact part of the "gray" of the story.

#156 | Back to Top08-21-2007 12:01:17 AM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

With that horcrux gone, maybe there's still hope for Umbridge!
Perhaps she'll get in shape and discover the Flying Spaghetti Monster. emot-keke

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#157 | Back to Top08-21-2007 03:01:28 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I finished HP7 on my vacation, and proceeded to reread it 10+ times to pick it apart most unmercifully. It was a rather well written book, but... I found the whole thing rather sappy. The whole epilogue in particular.... that was just.... completely off-putting when I read the table of contents. Grarh.

I was rather amused by JKR's plothole of Hermione's usage of Memory Charms. She used them on her family before joining with Harry, but when confronted with the need to do them on Tottenham Court Road, she said she'd never done them before. emot-rolleyes

Also, I was highly vindicated when I found out Harry was a Horcrux. My friends argued me down from that point after we'd all read HP6, probably because they couldn't accept the idea that Harry would have to die.

Speaking of which, I was completely pissed that JKR had the guts to kill Harry AND THEN BRING HIM BACK. emot-mad I threw the book across the room the first time I read that and refused to continue reading for nearly a day. (Curiosity of what else JKR could do to piss me off made me pick it back up.)

None of the character deaths meant anything to me, really, not through the whole series. It was all part of Dumbledore's plan, you know, all of it. For the Greater Good, even until his death.

To say the least... I was highly disappointed. It was so incredibly boring for so long in the middle, and then WHAM! Everything happens. There's a reason why I don't like roller coasters, and this book only cements that dislike into my mind.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#158 | Back to Top08-22-2007 11:23:32 AM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Lady Chani wrote:

Speaking of which, I was completely pissed that JKR had the guts to kill Harry AND THEN BRING HIM BACK.

That was one of the things I liked best. emot-biggrin Harry started the day with a duty to die and finished with a duty to live out a peaceful life. That's a very deep message. The epilog is also good, the world can be made a better place but not a perfect place. Draco is still there, Umbridge was probably given a gold watch and forced into early retirement; all is well but not necessarily permanently well and the villains weren't necessarily all wiped out but given a second chance.
In fact it's a bummer that the Utena movie was so savage to its "bad guys" Kozue and Shiori who are surely more deserving of redemption or a chance for redemption than the characters I just mentioned.

#159 | Back to Top08-22-2007 01:11:35 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

brian wrote:

In fact it's a bummer that the Utena movie was so savage to its "bad guys" Kozue and Shiori who are surely more deserving of redemption or a chance for redemption than the characters I just mentioned.

And it begins, Utena can be compared to anything or vice versa.

Lady Chani wrote:

None of the character deaths meant anything to me, really, not through the whole series. It was all part of Dumbledore's plan, you know, all of it. For the Greater Good, even until his death.

Another fault of Dumbledore is his choice of the greater good, which to get there is no always good. But this is a human trait, seeing as countless wars and disputes have been done in the name of the greater good.

Oh and according to JK in an interview, Harry never died. This would completely undermine her sub-plot of "Once dead, always dead." The best theory I can come up with is Harry was put into a deep comatose and maybe Astral Projected himself to the fuggy mess that is between the living and dead.

you said

#160 | Back to Top08-22-2007 02:49:53 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Sevelle wrote:

Lady Chani wrote:

Another fault of Dumbledore is his choice of the greater good, which to get there is no always good. But this is a human trait, seeing as countless wars and disputes have been done in the name of the greater good.

Oh and according to JK in an interview, Harry never died. This would completely undermine her sub-plot of "Once dead, always dead." The best theory I can come up with is Harry was put into a deep comatose and maybe Astral Projected himself to the fuggy mess that is between the living and dead.

I'm not sure if what you're saying makes me want to tear my hair out more or less. It still makes me very mad, either way. I'm a very stubborn person.

But I do like your theory, Sevelle. It amuses me.

#161 | Back to Top08-22-2007 02:52:24 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Aww- If you pull your hair out, remember to donate it to Locks of Love.

*heeheeheehee*

you said

#162 | Back to Top08-22-2007 07:31:30 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

My dad donated his hair to Locks of Love! He cut off 22 inches of hair a couple years ago! My hair's too short to do such a thing, though. [/offtopic]

Sevelle wrote:

Another fault of Dumbledore is his choice of the greater good, which to get there is no always good.

You know, I just realized this statement of yours. How horiffically accurate of human nature.

I think part of this book was written to show fandom people that nobody's perfect. For instance, Ron left his best friend, Dumbledore's knocked off his pedestal of 'sainthood', Harry's tempted with the Hallows (like any sane human being would be, really)... Every character really goes through this massive unveiling of their inner selves in book 7. Odd.

Oh, I do have a random conversational question. When you heard the story about the Hallows, which did you automatically want, and why, if you want to answer? Be honest, plz. Don't everyone answer 'Cloak', because it's the 'right one'.

Though, I automatically wanted the cloak. I always feel far too noticed in my life. I think it would be nice to escape everyone and everything completely, the way Harry can. emot-gonk

#163 | Back to Top08-22-2007 07:57:50 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I didn't want any of them.  I'm pacifistic, I don't like to "hide," and I like death to be the end of things.  Rest in peace and all.

As much as I hate Ron (sorry, the way he and Hermione interact really, really bothers me, it feels too much like an emotionally abusive relationship to me) I did like when he left, although I wish he'd stayed gone. emot-tongue  It made him a nicely realistic character there, even if I can't stand him.

Last edited by Cerise (08-23-2007 01:16:21 PM)

#164 | Back to Top08-22-2007 08:25:18 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Lady Chani wrote:

Oh, I do have a random conversational question. When you heard the story about the Hallows, which did you automatically want, and why, if you want to answer? Be honest, plz.

Honestly it didn't occur to me at the time to pick any of them. When I read I have to concentrate on doing it, because if I start to think about something, even if it's spurred by what I'm reading, I'll go through two or three pharagraphs before I realize I haven't taken in anything I just 'read.' So, from a retroactive point of view, I'd probably take the wand. The stone might be nice if I wanted to learn about the afterlife, if there is one. An army of zombies sounds cool but they never quite work out. The cloak I would abuse far too much, which makes it very tempting. Half the time I feel like I'm wearing an invisibility cloak anyway, people would keep bumping into me. But, if I were living in a world of magic and duels and evil people, I'd definitely want the wand to make myself feel a whole lot safer. I'd keep it a secret, because I love secrets. Especially ones that give me a hand up on everyone else. school-devil

#165 | Back to Top08-22-2007 10:11:56 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Lady Chani wrote:

Oh, I do have a random conversational question. When you heard the story about the Hallows, which did you automatically want, and why, if you want to answer? Be honest, plz.

Actually, I would want the stone. Why? Because I am a very selfish person, and I could never live without my mother, whether she would want to be dead or not. I know people say "if you love them, let them go", but bullshit. If you loved them so much, wouldn't you want them to be with you as long as you possibly can, whether or not it's immoral? I can never let my mother go, no matter what. I've already pledged to myself that the day she dies I will die, too.

#166 | Back to Top08-22-2007 10:26:10 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I have to agree with Nilamarthiel. Then again, I may force myself to take the cloak if I know in the long run the dead want to stay at peace.

#167 | Back to Top08-23-2007 04:14:23 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I wouldn't want to be the master of death in any state of the word. I have no desire to flee death so that rules out the cloak, and the stone... I don't think I could live with myself if I tore people away from their... whatever they get after dying. The wand is tempting, but I don't think I'd become someone the current version of me would approve of if I had that kind of power.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#168 | Back to Top08-23-2007 12:53:47 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

That's a GOOD question! What would I choose? I think I would have to take the same path of Dumbledore and just not go for anyone of them. The coruption of power would be too great for me to handle, I would probably wind up taking over the world or something.

you said

#169 | Back to Top08-23-2007 03:18:44 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Lady Chani wrote:

I wanted the Elder Wand. I don't really know why, maybe because it looked like the most powerful to me. Besides, I think I wouldn't choose it to avoid Death -it's not something that worries me right now; it's more the powerful feeling you get from being its master what appeals to me.

If something, I would look for the stone to keep my beloved ones with me, as Lady Nilamarthiel says. I feel nothing for the cloak emot-tongue

#170 | Back to Top08-23-2007 05:14:11 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Sevelle wrote:

That's a GOOD question! What would I choose? I think I would have to take the same path of Dumbledore and just not go for anyone of them. The coruption of power would be too great for me to handle, I would probably wind up taking over the world or something.

But Dumbledore does go for the stone, and fatally wounds himself in the process. It isn't until after that mistake that he realizes he's not fit to have them. (Beyond keeping the wand safe.)

The thing I liked best about the story is it's an allegory for Voldemort, Dumbledore and Harry. Voldemort craves power, goes for the wand and is killed as a result. Dumbledore wants his dead family back, injures himself in the attempt to ressurect themm and ultimately dies. Harry uses the cloak for seven years without even knowing its true power and likely passes away peacefully of old age.

#171 | Back to Top08-24-2007 05:24:06 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Ragnarok wrote:

The thing I liked best about the story is it's an allegory for Voldemort, Dumbledore and Harry.

Why I never realise about such things? That was a great call, Ragnarok! poptart

#172 | Back to Top08-25-2007 12:57:46 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Um, yeah. What you said Asfalolh.

And I would like the cloak, but not for the reason that the youngest brother wanted it. school-devil

#173 | Back to Top08-25-2007 10:01:38 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

I was interested in Harry Potter at first, but then JK Rowling started turning it into an angst-fest, and I quickly lost any desire to follow it through to the end. The humorous cliche of the horrible step parents and all the fun magical antics at the beginning just didn't sit well with the kind of teen drama that followed. There was no balance and no comfortable medium. I don't think she's a bad writer, and I appreciate what she did for the fantasy genre-- pulling it even further into the mainstream-- but her work does have its faults, and I just couldn't enjoy the later installments.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#174 | Back to Top08-26-2007 01:02:45 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm interested to see how Rowling matures as a writer, assuming that she continues to write. (I hope she does, I like her style if not everything she's written) I mean, she's got this great inspirational life whatever, what with being on welfare, struggling to pay the bills, et cetera, writes a story on a napkin in a coffee shop and now ten years later she's a billionaire.

#175 | Back to Top08-26-2007 10:54:08 AM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Baka Kakumei Reanna wrote:

I was interested in Harry Potter at first, but then JK Rowling started turning it into an angst-fest, and I quickly lost any desire to follow it through to the end. The humorous cliche of the horrible step parents and all the fun magical antics at the beginning just didn't sit well with the kind of teen drama that followed. There was no balance and no comfortable medium. I don't think she's a bad writer, and I appreciate what she did for the fantasy genre-- pulling it even further into the mainstream-- but her work does have its faults, and I just couldn't enjoy the later installments.

Well I don't know about you, but the angst goes with the plot of the story. I mean the very first chaptre in the very first book was not the happiest of occasions. Unless ones parents being brutally murdered and you are left on the door step of an extension of your family that loaths you at birth. And Harry is greatly affected by that, of course not in the beginning because of his innocence, but as the years go by and the death toll rises . . . especially the death of his God-Father . . . it gets to him.

you said

Board footer