This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#126 | Back to Top02-16-2011 09:29:10 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

I have a kinda SUPER personal question. >///>

Can I PM it to you? I mean, its not like I don't trust the people on here, but I don't want random guests seeing it, and its like... SOOPER personal.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#127 | Back to Top02-21-2011 01:11:47 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

But then again drinking a lot of sugary soda could give one diabetes, couldn't it? emot-gonk

Yes. Diabetes (that isn't type 1 where you're permanent insulin dependent, that's less than 10% of people with diabetes) is two things happening at once. Your pancreas produces less insulin than you need and your muscles get resistant to it. Drugs that treat diabetes act on one or both of these issues to treat the problem. When you take in vast quantities of sugar like that, your muscles get resistant to it. Your pancreas keeps up for a while, but not forever--and then boom. You have diabetes. Interesting note: childhood onset is highest among the poor minorities. Many of these people utilized WIC (food stampish program) to feed their newborns, which pays for formulas and juices which discourages breastfeeding. Toddlers are being given Ocean Spray and other sugary shit and by the time they turn 5...

Epi_lepsia - Your poop problems sound really weird. emot-frown Obviously your body isn't enjoying the local flora any more than an American would enjoy the local flora in Mexico. I normally sneer enormously at these products because people use them as a crutch for poor eating habits, but look into trying Activia or another product with probiotics to help your colon grow the bacteria it needs to not act insane. Give that three weeks or so and if nothing changes and your diet is more or less normal, you should see a doctor.
As to your fear or needles, there are the creams that numb the area completely, but you sound phobic about their presence, not just the pain. Frankly, arms are pretty much the only place blood draws are done, and the alternatives when that's possible, like femoral access, aren't going to help your situation. There's nothing stopping a nurse from doing a draw on your foot or something except a likely lack of experience doing so, and that area will hurt. Talk to your doctor about this, we hear I'M SCARED OF NEEDLES all the time so we tend to need some serious banging upside the head to take you seriously. No one's going to completely sedate you prior to a stick, to be honest. But there are drugs that may be given that will calm you down to such an extent that we could stick you with an industrial drill and you won't care. A nice hard hit of Ativan may be in order if you really cannot handle needles.

BlackBeforeRed - No, that's exactly what panic attacks do. People that have them and then feel totally fine after either aren't having true panic attacks or are having incredibly minor ones. Severe panic attacks are more common than they rightly should be, but that's no reason you shouldn't seek treatment. Pay attention to when you get them and see a psych professional if there's a trend in the situations triggering them. If there isn't, see a medical doctor first. Many things can look like psychiatric panic attacks and not be; asthma, angina, and other such issues can often cause the same reaction.

Sexing - Wax doesn't build up for that reason. If your earphones aren't loud (and they may be; some people are very sensitive) you may have an ear infection, made easier because they are kept in a convenient and warm environment from the headphones. Honestly, I'd go see the doctor, ears aren't cool to fuck around with. But if you absolutely must try something first, pour and hold peroxide (it'll fizzy) in the ears for a moment 3-4 times a day, and if nothing changes after three days or so, go to the doctor like I said.

hyacinth_black - Yes you can PM me. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#128 | Back to Top02-24-2011 01:43:09 PM

Orchidee
Saionji Slapper

I sometimes bleed between periods. It's rather light and it only happens after I masturbate (non-penetrative, never with a vibrator). Why is this? Is it anything to be concerned about?

#129 | Back to Top02-24-2011 07:16:12 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Is your hymen intact? The movement may tear it a little. Otherwise if there's nothing going on in there aside from a climax, I can't imagine why you'd be bleeding. Is it frank, bright blood? Or darker, more like menstrual blood? If it's frank blood, you should have it checked out, there may be something going on in there.

If you've ever been sexually active, you should check it out, though. There is a possibility of STDs here.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#130 | Back to Top02-24-2011 10:38:42 PM

Orchidee
Saionji Slapper

It's more like menstrual blood, which is why I kind of thought it might be related to that (like not all of it got shed during my period). And it's never very much.

My hymen isn't intact but I know I don't have an STD, so it's not that.

#131 | Back to Top02-25-2011 05:38:07 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Thanks for the advise I am going to see the DR. and although the ear issues have dry-up (for now) I might try that peroxide trick if it flares back up. emot-smile

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#132 | Back to Top02-25-2011 08:17:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Orchidee - That's happened to me a few times, actually. I don't assume it's horrible or dangerous in my case, or even in yours. But if it happens every single time, maybe you should have it checked out.

#133 | Back to Top02-27-2011 12:39:31 PM

Orchidee
Saionji Slapper

Giovanna wrote:

Orchidee - That's happened to me a few times, actually. I don't assume it's horrible or dangerous in my case, or even in yours. But if it happens every single time, maybe you should have it checked out.

It doesn't, but it happens just frequently enough for me to realize that there is a connection. Thanks so much for the advice and info! I appreciate it a lot.

#134 | Back to Top06-10-2011 05:45:56 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

I've had a chipped tooth for a couple of years now. It used to be a little sensitive (could deal with it using Sensodyne tooth paste.) I was depressed all last week after an incident and didn't take care of my teeth at all during that time. A few days ago I had a light case of bleeding/inflamed gums and the chipped tooth started to hurt. After a few days of intense brushing, flossing, and warm salt water rinses the bleeding is almost gone (only bleed when I apply pressure) and my gums are no longer inflamed but the tooth and gums feels very sensitive/sore now. The sensitivity goes away when I eat and doesn't become sensitive until I brush my teeth again. It's making me not want to brush. I'm using Anbesol and Tylenol to deal with the problem.

I'm going to the dentist Monday but was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what could cause a small chipped tooth to just suddenly hurt and why eating may relieve the pain. The tooth looks fine btw.

If it's mild gingivitis how long does it usually take to reverse?

Last edited by chrisb (06-10-2011 05:47:26 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#135 | Back to Top06-26-2011 09:07:35 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

The tip of my right thumb is really numb.  I can poke it with a needle and not really feel anything.  When I squeeze my wrist hard feeling starts to return to it.
I recently started working at a pizzeria making pizzas, which requires a lot of wrist movement.  It's really freaking me out emot-frown

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#136 | Back to Top06-26-2011 06:21:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

You may have some swelling that's pinching a nerve. You may want to wrap your wrist for a bit in an ace bandage, while you work, if possible. It may be something you need to acclimate to, but similar things have happened to me, actually, where I get a nerve pinched and it takes a week or two at least to get all the feeling back. Try to keep a little pressure on your wrist and a bit of stabilization there for now.

Sorry I totally missed this post, chrisb! Still having trouble?

#137 | Back to Top06-27-2011 01:25:41 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Thanks Gio!  I tried wrapping it up and keeping my wrist from moving and it seems to help a little bit.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#138 | Back to Top06-27-2011 02:46:50 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Giovanna wrote:

Sorry I totally missed this post, chrisb! Still having trouble?

No problem! I went to the dentist and he said it was more the gums that were sore/inflamed than the tooth since they need a cleaning. Eating probably relieved it because it took my mind off the pain.

Last edited by chrisb (06-27-2011 02:48:06 AM)

#139 | Back to Top06-27-2011 09:16:22 PM

innermuse
Anthy Assailer
Website

hmm, this looks interesting. Know anything about chronic localized pain if so I will hit you up with a question ( and yes i have gone to doctors done all the stupid test...and i still have pain i am really thinking it is scar tissue...)

#140 | Back to Top06-27-2011 09:35:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Iris, that sounds like progress! If the numbness starts to fade in a week or so, you're on the right track and just try to keep the wrist stabilized and slightly pressed on in bandages until you're body is more used to the unusual motions of your job. You're probably not doing anything dangerous, just stuff your body isn't used to. emot-smile

chrisb, did he suggest a soft toothbrush and thorough flossing? The gums are actually more finicky than the teeth are for many, my dentist has actually told me NOT to brush more than once or twice a day because my teeth are fucking titanium anyway and excessive brushing will kill your gums. If your gums are sore and inflamed, try a mouthwash, and keep in mind that while flossing is MORE IMPORTANT THAN BRUSHING, THAT'S RIGHT, IF YOU HAVE TO DO ONE OR THE OTHER, YOU'RE BETTER OFF FLOSSING, it has a breakin period for most people and you'll have inflammation and bleeding for a while before your gums are used to the assault of the string.

innermuse, yes, I do. emot-smile What's your question?

#141 | Back to Top06-27-2011 11:54:38 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Yeah I really need a softer brush than what I've been using. I wasn't the most thorough when it came to flossing before all this gum/tooth pain came up but I've changed that.

#142 | Back to Top06-28-2011 02:38:10 PM

innermuse
Anthy Assailer
Website

Well Gio, i have been having localized ( pretty much) chronic pain around the incension area Since like march, where i had my surgery ( which was like 2 years ago) When it started it was really bad with an early menstrual, which is what initially concerned me . Seeing the surgery was for a utrine fibroid that was the size of a grape fruit.

Now i have seen my gyno and done blood test, ultra sound and physical ( which was sort of rushed) All came back clear, but there was pain during the ultra sound at one point, so the doctors know there is pain, but no scars and only like a small little fibroid. Personally I think it might be scar tissue, cause the pain is in one area and seems to swell a bit and hurt more when i do a lot of activity and have my cycle ( its especially sensitive during that time)

So yeah i am pretty annoyed and know there must be a reason for the pain.

Last edited by innermuse (06-28-2011 02:42:41 PM)

#143 | Back to Top07-25-2011 03:59:50 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Heya! My neighbor is a diabetic lady in her fifties who's been suffering from ulcers under her tongue and inside her mouth. She's tried switching toothpastes and gargling with different things to no avail. What should she do?

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#144 | Back to Top07-25-2011 07:12:46 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

If they are white patches and sores than she may have oral yeast, which is common for diabetic people. She'll need special mouthwash for that from the doctor, or just a couple doses of Diflucan. Otherwise, she may be developing a food allergy or have a bacterial infection. Unfortunately oral sores are really hard to diagnose without seeing them. emot-frown

innermuse - Localized incisional pain isn't uncommon, even years after, because nerves do regenerate, and very slowly, and unfortunately, the pain sensors are just a bit quicker than the others. I would suggest efforts to desensitize the area. Literally spend some time each day with some lotion massaging the region until the body becomes used to a different sensory input there. That the area swells is somewhat strange, I'd almost want to go all House and say there may be a trace bit of ovarian tissue inside the scar, but that's serious conclusion jumping. If all tests come back normal, it's probably just nerve damage from the operation, and the best thing for that is just knocking the nerve around until it's tired of making you hurt. I know that sounds weird. emot-frown

#145 | Back to Top07-28-2011 06:04:00 PM

innermuse
Anthy Assailer
Website

I did not even think of that, thanks Gio. Now on the road to less pain!

#146 | Back to Top07-29-2011 04:46:56 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Soo..... in the process of getting hired by my lab, the occupational health took my blood to see if I'm immune to all the important virus and such.

Turns out I don't have the antibodies for chickenpox, so they suggested that I get vaccinated. And, I did.

Fast forward two weeks into today. I just suffered from mild fever (100 F, so I don't think it's that serious), have occasional headaches, and have what seemed like zits on my face, and some of my back. They aren't hideously populous all over the skin, but there are about 6 -7 on my face, and 6 -7 on my back, and a total of 3 on both of my arms. Is the vaccine actually becoming virulent? Or is my situation completely unrelated to the varicella vaccine I got?

If it IS chicken pox, how many days would it last? Assuming yesterday is day 1 (Still need to go back to work asap...)

#147 | Back to Top07-30-2011 06:33:46 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

I notice about once a week my inner lower lip feels like it's forming a canker sore but I can't see anything. I do get canker sores very easily. I've had that problem since I was a kid. When I run my tongue over it it feels a little dry compared to the rest of my mouth. My inner cheeks also feel a little dry from time to time, but my dentist said she didn't notice anything wrong. I suffer from bad acid reflux. I do clench my teeth a lot, especially when I sleep so I wonder if that could be the cause. I also bite my nails frequently. I haven't had an allergy test in forever so I'm wondering if that could be a problem. Last time I had it done the doctor listed so many things I'm allergic to I forgot what most were emot-rofl I definitely do not drink as much water as I should either.

My other issue is my horrible post nasal drip. Always have to clear my throat. Any good remedies to reduce the amount of mucus I produce?

Last edited by chrisb (07-30-2011 06:45:31 AM)

#148 | Back to Top07-30-2011 07:36:29 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Update: I don't think I'm having any new "zits" coming up anymore, and I'm using baking soda to wash my face, which seems to be working.
Maybe it's not chicken pox, but I'm just glad the worst seems to be over.

Last edited by Hiraku (07-30-2011 07:36:53 AM)

#149 | Back to Top08-02-2011 09:14:32 PM

poetoffire
Mikage Mistruster

I am a little over 100 pounds, but I'm at a healthy weight.  I'd have to work very hard to gain weight by eating.  I love my body, but I'd like to be able to donate blood and that starts at 115.  I've started kettle bell weightlifting (every day for the past two and a half weeks and for two weeks more, then I'll do it a couple of times a week) in addition to my daily walking to tone my muscles and possibly get my weight up.

Is there any other healthy way to gain weight?

#150 | Back to Top08-03-2011 02:13:02 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

chrisb wrote:

I definitely do not drink as much water as I should either.

This would help both of your issues. emot-wink

Your lip sounds dry--strange, yes, but saliva isn't a good moisturizer. If it's actually lip and not mucus membrane, start putting lip balm on and be sure to cover there. If it's lower and actually in the membrane, I'm not sure what it is! If you clench your teeth though you're probably biting the flesh in your sleep, which is bad either way.

Mucus will LESSEN if you're properly hydrated, because that makes the mucus looser and more likely to be worked out of your system in ways you won't notice, like moisture in your breathing and by swallowing it when you clear your throat. The big thing for nasal drip is saline nasal washing. This is one of the few things that does in fact seriously work, and it also helps a lot for people who are cold-prone. In my experience it's also the difference between a two day cold and a five day one. Nasal irrigation is what you wanna google. A lot of people swear by neti pots, but I just use a little bulb syringe thingie.

Hiraku, glad to hear it cleared up! Varicella, and its vaccine, has a funny way of just presenting strangely for adults. There may have been a connection.

poetoffire wrote:

Is there any other healthy way to gain weight?

If you're weightlifting, you are putting your body in a place to build muscle. THIS IS GOOD! Help it out by giving it huge calorie boosts after your workouts. Bodybuilders will swear by tons of ungodly shakes that will make you gag, but you really only need something that packs a lot of good quality calories into your diet. Try adding a spoon of peanut butter when you eat breakfast. After you work out, drink a protein shake--either make your own or buy premade ones. Depending on the intensity of the workout, you can take in an easy 800-1000 calories in a shake afterwards and if a good chunk of it is protein, you'll gain the right kind of weight.

Basically you need calories. The mistake people make, and the unhealthy part of that, is adding the wrong calories--you know better than to eat Big Macs, but other things that ARE good for you have lots of calories for proper weight gain. Think nuts, avocados, WHOLE grain products. Oh, and there is nothing wrong with animal fat. A nice hunk of steak isn't going to hurt you at all. Just try to keep the added calories as proteins or fats--it's carbs that are the danger in trying to weight gain. Good luck!

Board footer