This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-21-2006 07:51:27 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Re: A Weak Spot- examining the flaws in Akio's logic

Not responding to anything in particular, just thinking out loud. In several versions of the story Akio has been split off from Dios. He feels incomplete. Anthy cannot or will not make him feel complete. He hopes Utena will become his Evening Star, the more so because she was chosen by Dios and given some or all of his strength. Utena rejects his offer. Here it gets complicated because the different versions fork off. In the manga she "completes" Akio by uniting him with Dios, and since Dios is dead, he will die. Because she has assumed the power of Dios, she also will "cease to exist" which is not necessarily dying but leaving Ohtori and being forgotten, losing Akio and possibly losing Anthy. She is casting everything off, in spite of Anthy's pleas. Instead she gives Anthy a [serene?/resigned?] smile and sets the universe back into balance.

Why does she smile when Anthy pleads with her? Willingness to accept death or realization that death is not awaiting in her path? Earleir she said, "Now I can end as your Prince." But "end" has multiple meanings and I'm not sure which is meant.

The anime is more confused, Utena experiences no transcendence, no certainty. She has risked all and and has every reason to believe that all was lost and she cannot be certain that anything was gained. Still, she had to do it. The most she could do at the last was try to save herself and provide an example for Anthy with no certainty that Anthy would follow. In all versions Utena takes a leap of faith, marshalling what faith she can, which varies in different versions. She vanishes or becomes paralyzed or turns into a car, without being certain what will happen next.

Unlike Akio she has decided that to gain her life she must lose it (metaphorically or literally.)

Better stop before I become completely incoherent.

#27 | Back to Top12-22-2006 01:15:49 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

The first time I saw things, it sort of felt like Akio's real plan was the disilusionment of people. I guess his logic would flow from his own disilusionment after the metaphorical swords of the world turn against him and his sister so quickly. A simiple, but probably bad, comparision might be something along the lines of a deeply religious man who, having suddenly underwent the realization that everything he had previously believed in had no reality whatsoever, decides to force that same realization on others who still cling to their idealized views. From his viewpoint, I'm sure he thinks he's doing good. You know, like those atheists who're so opposed to public prayer in schools etc.

So many of the duels in SKU  focus on people who have clung to a strong memory, illusion, or ideal, and have those memories/hopes crushed by defeat in a duel. This is, i think, more true towards the end of the series than towards the begining. Let me try to come up with a really cursory list...

Nanami: Has always clung to the belief, to grossly oversimply it, that she was special. In her last duel she gets broken when she realizes that she really isn't all that special, in her relationship to her peers or to her brother.

Juri: She seems to have been clinging to, among other things, her memories of Shiori and her hopes that something would work out between them. It seems like that gets crushed in her last duel with the locket being torn off her neck and crushed. It's coupled with what comes before too, I think Ruka, along with unintentionally showing himself to be an awful person, does manage to disatatch Juri from Shiori somewhat by pointing to some of her flaws.

SaionjiSaionji's clinging to the hope that there is eternal friendship out there, somewhere. That's a hope that get's beaten out of him a bit in every fight he's in. He can't get a genuine friendship with Anthy (and it seems like at some point, before the abuse, he may have tried). He can't get (or revive) a friendship with Touga either, and ends up being used by Touga (the forged Akio letter for instance).

Utena:Utena's holding onto her childhood memory and, more specifically, the ideal that she can become a Prince. Most of the other charachters clearly have their ideals crushed. It's not al clear to me if Utena does, despite saying how she has failed to be a real prince towards the end of things. She does, after all, manage to trigger revolution (I believe). Maybe she ended up succeeding more than she thought by kind of martyring herself at the end. If that's not a "princely" action, I'm not sure what would be.

The list can go on, and can be much more well written. None of the charachters are really all that straightforward, so the above two sentance synopses fall way short of explaining exactly what they were holding on to that was crushed. Hopefully it gives an idea of what i'm getting at though. It's true of the black rose duelists too - they're all fighting for an ideal of how they'd like their world to be (Wakaba would be with Saionji, nanami would be with her brother, etc, etc), and they all give up on these deep seeded desires after having fallen in the duelling arena.

Akio is the end of the world, and maybe that really is his plan. He wants to end worlds, the idealized worlds held most dear to every charachter in the show. He succeeds admirably with everyone but Utena who, ironically, he was the most interested in because her specific ideals are the most similar to what his pre-Akio Dios ideals were.

That's kind of what I ended up thinking his plan was the first time through. I'm not quite as sure now but, I think, it might be a viable way to think of things.

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent, I always end up visiting here as one of the last things I do in my day, so i'm pretty tired. I love this thread though, Akio's story/motivation is one of the things I really want to get a grip on.

Last edited by Valeli (12-22-2006 01:17:46 AM)

#28 | Back to Top12-22-2006 01:00:11 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I have to make a note, for clarification, that Utena's "I'm sorry I couldn't become a Prince", to me, is more evidence that she didn't change significantly.  If she had really matured or changed her notion that Anthy was this helpless thing that Prince Utena needed to save, she wouldn't have apologized.  She had nothing to apologize for!  She'd done everything she said she wanted to do.  Anthy says to Akio, "You don't realize what's happened, do you?"  She could easily say the same thing to Utena.  Utena didn't realize what had happened either.  Because although she makes kinder choices than Akio, she too sees things in black and white.  Of course Utena, like the other characters, does make some strides toward maturity.  I think her conversation with Touga in the dueling arena was a good sign.  I think her "assault" on the gate, juxtaposed with Akio's, is a good sign.

The manga shows that side of Utena far more clearly.  She comes to Anthy as a supplicant, is satisifed with waking her, understands the important thing was that Anthy came to believe in her.  But even if the fight for Anthy's soul is won, something has to be done with Akio in this version.  Of course, being a "Prince", in the manga, doesn't have as many negative connotations.  Manga-Utena can apparently be a Prince without forcing Anthy to be a Princess.  The manga's storyline takes a different angle on several important things like that.

I agree that what makes Akio's character pitiable is that he doesn't make different choices, he chooses to stay trapped in Ohtori.  It's very much the same thing that makes Anthy's character sad.  (aside: The element of choice is certainly there--but his character, his personality, is such that him making a different choice is highly unlikely.)  We have to grant that Akio has every right to choose to be a bad person, particularly if he likes it.  Akio's character revels in it more than Anthy did (though she had her moments).  But what person wouldn't choose to be redeemed, given the chance?  Very rarely are anime villains just "evil"--it's usually that redemption carries some price the villain isn't willing to pay, or requires some sacrifice the villain isn't willing to make, or the villain is so mired in self-hatred that s/he doesn't think it's possible.  What's pathetic is Akio's black-and-white worldview, which makes him deny that any opportunity for change is there even when it stares him in the face.  Why?  What's he so afraid of?

If we assume that, for Akio, the choice is to be a Prince or to be an anti-Prince, he could easily fear the death that is destined for him as a Prince.  But Anthy seems to be able to escape the Princess-or-Witch dichotomy.  I don't think Akio is more of a mythological being than Anthy.  I wonder if she becomes fully human at the end?  If so, Akio's logic might really be fine.  He doesn't want to be a Prince, he'd die.  He doesn't want to be human, they're pathetic.  Staying trapped in Ohtori as an anti-Prince is the best of his choices.

But I suspect it's not quite that simple... Anthy still has Chu-Chu at the end, a witch's familiar.  We have no way of knowing if she still has powers, but it's possible she does.

I guess from Akio's perspective, though, his plans are completely logical.  But I think he draws his conclusions from false premises.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (12-22-2006 01:08:08 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#29 | Back to Top12-22-2006 04:55:54 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Valeli wrote:

"AKIO wants to end everyone's idealized world view." Mini-essay

I like the your idea of why you think the reason Akio had for choosing a name like the 'End of the World', its a worthy way start to your time and future times within this forum, I do look forward to seeing more of your viewpoints on SKU and other subjects as time goes by. emot-keke

#30 | Back to Top12-22-2006 06:47:40 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Still buzzing along on my own wavelength. In the final confrontation Akio negates Utena's very names. His insistance that the tower is the highest place in the world negates the TENJOU and his insistance that she cannot protect Anthy negates the UTENA. I believe that she succeeds in fulfilling both of her names. He in turn is an OHTORI who passes up the chance for true resurrection and an AKIO who fails as a source of light or guidance.

#31 | Back to Top12-23-2006 07:26:36 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Wow, loving this thread.  I know I can never top Gio in explaining Akio so I'm not about to try... but it makes me pine for a similar thread about Saionji so I can attempt defending/explaining his actions since he's always made out to be an instant villain as well.

I think the point that interested me the most in reading this thread was the point that Akio felt he had to stab the door when really he only had to pry it open with his fingers.  I never thought much of this but really that action on his part speaks volumes when I think of it now. 

Anyone want to discuss the significance of Dios' presence next to Akio in the final episode?  I've always found it rather interesting that they casually share a drink together.  Dios' form in the present sense of the story always is a bit of an enigma to me.  Is he alive?  Really, did he ever truly live (since such a storybook figure seems unlikely to have existed in the first place)?  Does Akio truly want to be Dios again (or just want his power)? If so, then why is the Dios in his possession useless?  I mean, Dios exists in a sense... but then I'd probably just answer this myself by saying Dios never existed, he's just a symbol that represents different things to different characters, and that pretty much explains how he can strangely pop in and out of sequences for no reason. :p

Man I'm out of practice with this whole analysis thing... emot-tongue

#32 | Back to Top12-23-2006 08:46:45 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Some people say that Dios is just a figment.  However, I tend to think he's a precense, albiet a weak one.  I see him as the "ghost" of Dios, or the manifestation of the collective memory of Dios.  And, as someone else said (Blade, maybe?) the memory of a god is bound to be a bit more intense.

And isn't Anthy a bit more of a Phoenix than Akio, in the end?  Being consumed by the swords before being reborn?

Oh, that reminds me of that Buddhist-esque interpretation.  Akio chooses to remain trapped in Ohtori, which means Phoenix, which implies reincarnation.  Akio allows desire and ego to keep him trapped in the cycle of ressurection.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (12-23-2006 08:50:21 PM)

#33 | Back to Top12-23-2006 10:21:24 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Scortia wrote:

it makes me pine for a similar thread about Saionji so I can attempt defending/explaining his actions since he's always made out to be an instant villain as well

Your wish has been granted. I really feel we haven't said all there is to say about Saionji, nor heard all the viewpoints on him.

Sorry for not contributing to this thread, but I can't muster up the mental energy lately.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#34 | Back to Top12-24-2006 04:05:22 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Tamago wrote:

Valeli wrote:

"AKIO wants to end everyone's idealized world view." Mini-essay

I like the your idea of why you think the reason Akio had for choosing a name like the 'End of the World', its a worthy way start to your time and future times within this forum, I do look forward to seeing more of your viewpoints on SKU and other subjects as time goes by. emot-keke

But "Sekai no Hate" means the farthest border of the world, not the end, as in Apocalypse. It implies that Akio is the edge of the world, the end from which there is no going forward. I believe Anthy's remark in the end, "You're the one who chose this way, knowing all of the world", referred to this. That he is in the end, where there is no going onwards, but nor there is turning back.

That's been my interpretation, anyway.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#35 | Back to Top12-24-2006 04:27:48 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Lightice wrote:

"Sekai no Hate" means the farthest border of the world, not the end, as in Apocalypse.

Jeffrey's Japanese=English Dictionary Server! wrote:

hate (Japanese)
(n) the end; the extremity; the limit(s); the result; (P)

Ah! I see what you mean, I have always thought of his End of the World title was apocalyptic by nature, I should have checked it out more carefully.

#36 | Back to Top12-24-2006 04:29:30 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

rhyaniwyn wrote:

Oh, that reminds me of that Buddhist-esque interpretation.  Akio chooses to remain trapped in Ohtori, which means Phoenix, which implies reincarnation.  Akio allows desire and ego to keep him trapped in the cycle of ressurection.

That's seriously interesting. The Phoenix is a symbol of resurrection in Christian iconography. I wonder if it has a more negative connotation in Buddhism.

Different versions give different interpretations of Dios. Furthermore it is highly likely that Ikuhara changed his mind about Dios. Dios/Akio seem a bit like the Kaoru twins in the way they suck light and dark from each other. Dios could be a strong memory, a creation of Anthy from the desires and memories of what he once was, the after-glow of Akio (perhaps the original sun to his venus?), an impersonal force activated by Utena, or the consience of Akio.  In the movie manga he is a creation of Anthy's love who wants the world to see him as she sees him not as he really is, like a desperate child who has awful parents but wants to idealize them anyway. In the anime Akio claims that he created Dios, but some of the miracles that Utena performs seem to reveal that as a lie.

#37 | Back to Top12-30-2006 12:12:05 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Hmm. I had always taken it in a kind of apocalyptic sense as well. ... the "Absolute Destiny: Apocalypse" song being played like... always... probably is partially responsible for giving that meaning primacy in my mind. I'll have to look at the name again in a more open context, thanks for the heads up.

I still feel that Akio's whole game/plan is really centered around destroying people's ideals and disillusioning them though... I should look at that more closely too though.

And thanks for the kind words Tamago, even if my idea might have been a bit off:( I love these forums and this series so much, I hope I can manage to contribute a tiny bit.

Last edited by Valeli (12-30-2006 12:13:19 AM)

#38 | Back to Top12-31-2006 06:35:30 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

That does have something to do with it, I think.  If you assume that Akio thinks there is a slight possibility that a pure soul could become a Prince and thus attain the Power of Dios, he would want to destroy their idealism.  Destruction of his idealism is part of what made Akio (nominally) an "adult" and the Ends of the World.  Exposing the duellists' dreams as illusions would be a type of insurance against anyone taking Anthy and/or the Power of Dios from Akio--as well as a type of revenge on humanity.  It's also the direct inversion of Akio's original duty as Prince--which was to rescue and presumably preserve fairy-tale dreams in peoples' hearts.

#39 | Back to Top01-01-2007 03:27:22 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Here I must disagree. Remember that people who don't have the "illusion of fairy tales in their hearts" are utterly useless to Akio. His own illusions and manipulations are worthless if the people he targets don't believe, or at least want to believe in miracles and magic. He doesn't wish to destroy these fantasies, but cultivate them into his own liking and benefit. Remember that what he did with Nemuro was almost complete opposite of what you suggest. He took a "computer-like man" without greater wishes or real belief in anything and instilled him with the frantic desire for Eternity.

Akio doesn't fear that anyone could take Anthy away from him. He's all too arrogant for that. The idea that someone, a mere mortal could really pull that off doesn't enter his worst nightmares, since in his thinking only a Prince could be capable of such thing and there is no Prince anywhere in this world.

Akio doesn't destroy people's fantasies. He uses, abuses and forms them into his own use, making them serve his ends, turning the people with hopes for something greater and magical into puppets under his power by showing them what they think they wish to see and believe. I know that not all here support this theory, but I believe that this is also what happened with Utena - in the guise of Dios Akio showed her the eternal thing and gave her the power to face tomorrow, but at the same time causing her to serve his goals almost to the end. Similar thing happened with all other duellists, as well, if you remember, though only after they came to the school, as far as we know.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#40 | Back to Top01-01-2007 05:16:11 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I don't think I can contribute very much to this, as I'm not one who has analyzed Akio in terms of what he did wrong.

To painfully simplify it, it is said that "The best laid plans of mice and men will often go awry." I guess the real question would be, is a false prince classified as mouse or man? Akio may be considered neither, or in some context, a shocking both, it's really up to you. But in the end, there is no perfection. Not in this world. Not in the next. And certainly not in any twisted fairytale universe you create from your memories. There is no such this as a perfect plan, because in such context, it would evolve from plan to plot, or something of an evil nature. As humans, we are suspicious of what seems sublimely flawless. Even GOD, said to be creater of all things who may do no wrong, has created mankind in the image of himself, and look how we turn out. Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper, Paris Hilton...is THIS the master plan intended since creation? Somehow, it's doubtful. If Allah almighty above cannot create something perfect, how can Akio?

I'm sure none of that made sense in any way, shape, or form.

All I can say for Akio I've already stated above: "The best laid plans of mice and men will often go awry."

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#41 | Back to Top01-01-2007 08:32:35 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Keeping that in mind, I guess it was just a matter of time before someone gave Anthy the kick in the pants she needed. Assuming Akio has done this a number of times before, it stands to reason that the right person would come along sooner or later. In an eternity of playing his game, Akio must inevitably lose.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#42 | Back to Top01-01-2007 09:40:10 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I never said that they are entirely useless to Akio--they are entirely necessary to Akio!!

He does indeed use peoples' fantasies.  He also *attempts* to destroy them (in the end).  And in most cases he succeeds.  What is Utena if she is not someone who resists that very destruction?  When her "world" is revealed to be an illusion, she perseveres.  My interpretation of Utena rests upon this--the fact that her virtue isn't her purity, but rather her perseverence.  She doesn't care that, to Akio (or Anthy), her beliefs are childish nonsense.  She is going to continue fighting for what she believes in, even if it's not *entirely* true.  That's what is so inspirational about her character.  Akio is more "correct" than she is; there is no Prince in this world, the highest place is Chairman's residence.  As a child you seriously think that believing in something hard enough makes it true...but sincerety alone doesn't give you the power to change the world; in the end you live life depending on someone else to validate you.

But which would you rather be?  Utena or Akio?

So Akio does cultivate those illusions while it suits him.  But ultimately he thinks they are worthless.  That is the black and white of Akio's world.  Fairy tales are nothing but silly naivete.  When he was a child, he too thought they had value.  But when he lost his innocence he "realized" that tenacity and belief were not enough to change the world.  The world is what it is, a place of disillusionment and disappointment.

If you change yourself, you change the world.  If you change how you see the world, you break the world's shell.  You are reborn in freedom, finally able to choose.  Utena's choice is one that causes her pain and death in a figurative or literal sense.  Akio's choice is composed of selfishness and opposition to a Princely way of life.

#43 | Back to Top01-02-2007 06:36:34 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

So Akio does cultivate those illusions while it suits him.  But ultimately he thinks they are worthless.  That is the black and white of Akio's world.  Fairy tales are nothing but silly naivete.  When he was a child, he too thought they had value.  But when he lost his innocence he "realized" that tenacity and belief were not enough to change the world.  The world is what it is, a place of disillusionment and disappointment.

That sounds totally on the ball to me. I think it's especially interesting that if you take the name out of it you're describing a great many of the people in our history who have held power. How often have people grown out of their own naivete to turn it to their advantage on others? Akio doesn't think the illusion is worthless, it's just that the worth it does have is a manipulative one miles away from the original intent. Either worldview works, not that the series will tell us that, but it is preaching for a certain side and it isn't his. The difference boils down the happiness and happiness. Is it better to live in a world of illusions and become bitter and cynical, or do you tread your own path and refuse to accept the world is really a bad place, even if it stabs you sometimes? (Literally...) Akio is pretty satisfied with the choice he's made, but we know it's the wrong one, because it got his ass handed to him in the end. But then...who said Utena didn't get the same? Or won't get the same if you assume she's in the real world now? There's no way back to Utena's view after you live with Akio's, but the show warns us repeatedly how easy the transition from Utena to him is, and that it's a lifelong struggle until it happens.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#44 | Back to Top03-28-2007 09:41:34 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I always assumed that the sword's disappearance was part of their plan; that the actual plan was to start pulling the sword from Utena and attempt to use it to open the gates.

I had forgotten or not noticed that throughout the last arcs, they repeatedly insist that the sword being drawn from Utena is NOT the Sword of Dios, that the Sword of Dios is no longer appearing.

Akio repeatedly tells this to Touga and implies that it's a problem and that he no longer wants Utena to win.  I know this must partially be to manipulate Touga, but how much truth is in the statement that the value of the golden goose is in the golden eggs it lays?

Akio genuinely doesn't seem particularly happy that Utena continues to win without the Sword of Dios.  One or two things I can write off as part of the game, but after re-watching, all of those things...I'm confused about Akio's real plan for the last round of duels.

#45 | Back to Top03-28-2007 02:50:13 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

He does not seemed to have expected it.

Perhaps he had never originally planned to seduce Utena before she found her own sword. That is about where he realizes that something solid is being built between her and Anthy and he needs to destroy it.

#46 | Back to Top03-28-2007 03:02:05 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

It's true, there are those occasions where he maligns Anthy to Utena.  "It must be tiring be friends with her for so long." 

I always figured it was to help sway her loyalty to him (which I figured was part of his original plan), but maybe it has more to do with taking her *away* from Anthy.

But, then, Akio seduces *everyone.*

#47 | Back to Top03-28-2007 04:07:43 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I don't think the swords will ever be satisfied at all.
They represent hatred and perhaps even dependence. And these two are sometimes the ugliest aspects of human nature that shall never die because not everyone has "revolutionized" their souls and released themselves from their own sufferings. And, to be childish about it, those people will either need a Dios to lean on or a Witch to blame on.
This is why I think Utena becomes the new pincushion. The last statement that she makes in the series (not counting the flashback) is the lament that she can never be Anthy's prince. That shows Utena finally experiencing the first taste of reality, and the swords would represent pains that would continuously come as she leaves Ohtori and enters reality. That reminds me of the line in the opening song, "Even if we dream, even if we cry, even if we are hurt, reality will come for us recklessly." The swords were surging toward Utena, which leads me to think they're the reality Utena must endure when integrating into the real world.
And, we see the reverse happening to Anthy, whose last statement reveals awakened hope/ideal that may/may not be possible to attain, just like Utena's ideal of being a prince or that silly promise of drinking tea and laugh together after ten years, "No matter where you are, I will certainly find you. Wait for me, Utena." It's the reminder of how you should face reality without ending up like Akio, and the solution that Ikuhara-san gives would complete the same stanza in the opening song about reality, "I want to find my place, the value of being me. Gotta take up who I've been until now." No matter what happens, don't let your hope, your will to live, dies because of the pains brought about by reality.
I think what makes Akio pathetic is that he represents one of the hundreds of people I've met in my life who aren't satisfied with what the world is doing to them, but aren't doing anything about it except causing more pain to themselves and people around them. When Anthy's writhing in his car, all he says is, "In pain, Anthy? Well, don't blame me, blame the world for it!" He could not even do the least of tending to her. Akio, in my opinion, hates the world for robbing him of his princely ideals, but what he's doing now is only allowing reality to kill off any hopes or ideals he might have had for living, completely.
I wonder if this is why he wasn't TOO disappointed when the sword breaks off from the Rose Gate. "A failure... when will I gain the power of revolution?"

Last edited by Hiraku (03-28-2007 04:09:15 PM)

#48 | Back to Top03-28-2007 07:50:38 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Hiraku wrote:

This is why I think Utena becomes the new pincushion.

What an unsettling thought.
So do you think that Anthy might rescue Utena from the swords?

#49 | Back to Top03-28-2007 08:19:22 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

brian wrote:

Hiraku wrote:

This is why I think Utena becomes the new pincushion.

What an unsettling thought.
So do you think that Anthy might rescue Utena from the swords?

When I watched the series at first, that's what I originally thought. That one of Anthy's newfound purpose is to find Utena and let her know that it is important to keep hope to live on for high ideals as she has had when she was still in Ohtori.
Utena's last words before leaving the academy was that she knew she couldn't have become a prince. It was the reason she came to the academy, and without that reason, there's no reason for her to remain as her energetic, youthful self, hence the departure.
This also now reminds me of the time when she lost to Touga in the duel and ends up wearing girl's uniform. She wasn't as ambitious as she used to be, not until someone who admires/respects/likes her (in that case, Wakaba) gives Utena something, some kind of reason, to live on as the Prince that she is. Anthy is probably going to be doing the same thing for Utena. I wouldn't say rescuing Utena from the swords, but to be there to remind her that not to give in to the pains that the swords will bring upon her. As long as you're alive in the real world, you'll be suffering somehow. This brings me to what the Movie version of Akio said to Anthy, "But, if you live on in the Outside World, you can only settle as princesses." The reality of the world will constantly weigh them down. The point is not necessarily be free from the swords, but whilst suffering, live on with hope.

Last edited by Hiraku (03-28-2007 08:25:35 PM)

#50 | Back to Top03-29-2007 01:01:33 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

This brings me to what the Movie version of Akio said to Anthy, "But, if you live on in the Outside World, you can only settle as princesses." T

Actually no. Movie-Akio refused to acknowledge the very existance of the Outside World - he said that if they go on, they'll only find the End of the World. He wanted Utena and Anthy to return to his world and be princesses, there. What the Shadowgirls said about the Outside World in the end was "In the Outside World you can make your own path", indicating that no classifications like Prince or Princess will tie those who travel there.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

Board footer