This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-14-2011 10:08:14 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

New Zodiac?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl … html?cat=9

Capricorn: Jan. 20-Feb. 16

Aquarius: Feb. 16-March 11

Pisces: March 11-April 18

Aries: April 18-May 13

Taurus: May 13-June 21

Gemini: June 21-July 20

Cancer: July 20-Aug. 10

Leo: Aug. 10-Sept. 16

Virgo: Sept. 16-Oct. 30

Libra: Oct. 30-Nov. 23

Scorpio: Nov. 23-Nov. 29

Ophiuchus: Nov. 29-Dec. 17

Sagittarius: Dec. 17-Jan. 20

What the hell man? My personality fit Scorpio so well. Guess my personality will be shifting...

Some people are saying the change only effects those born after 2009 though.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#2 | Back to Top01-14-2011 10:14:41 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: New Zodiac?

Psh. So some people get to be all special and have a new sign? Pox on that!

Besides I'm an Aquarian through and through. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top01-14-2011 10:22:27 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

WHAT. I've spent 26 years of my life being a Sagittarius and I'm not about to give up my hunter status to be a Ophiuchus thing. emot-frown I'll just do as most of you are doing and ignore it completely. emot-tongue For a long time I never felt I fit as a Sagittarius but I'd say the way my life has changed from 21-26 I finally grew into my hunter role.

#4 | Back to Top01-14-2011 10:25:18 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Why do people finally decide to put in the Ophiuchus when it's always been there in the sky? :|a

Some people in Taiwan included the Ophiuchus. It's somewhat of a healer constellation, in reference to the Greek physician who was killed by Zeus because he found the key to immortality.

I could be wrong. There can be other variations to the snake star.

#5 | Back to Top01-14-2011 12:28:52 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

CNN had an article that it doesn't change for the Western zodiac because they're based on the seasons, not actual star alignment. So the signs aren't actually changing.

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#6 | Back to Top01-14-2011 12:35:14 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Well my old sign, Virgo,  was only halfway true about my personality anyway.  If we're going by personality traits I should be a Pisces.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#7 | Back to Top01-14-2011 12:37:12 PM

Artsychick
Touga Topper
Website

I reject your zodiac and substitute my own, emot-tongue I still plan to maintain my status as an Aquarian.

Roses, everywhere! Of every color! In your architecture! In your teacups! In your jam!

#8 | Back to Top01-14-2011 04:40:53 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I would be switched to Ophiuchus. Given that Sagittarius has never suited me at all, I wouldn't mind. ^_-

On the other hand, Paradox would change from a Virgo to a Leo, and Virgo suits him far too well.

#9 | Back to Top01-14-2011 06:10:45 PM

Saio
Ballgoer

ahhh..this theory is old (few years)...
and it suxx... emot-keke

http://s41.radikal.ru/i091/1101/bd/e015af0a91a1.png

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis!

#10 | Back to Top01-14-2011 06:13:00 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

emot-gonk Darn it! I don't wanna be a Virgo... I wanna stay a Libra.. emot-frown I liked being an inanimate object..

Not only that, but I seemed more like a mix between a Virgo and a Libra...

"Whatever all this is, it needs to not be a thing at all."

Being a ghosty piece of shit with no standards since 2014 (maybe earlier).

#11 | Back to Top01-14-2011 06:52:28 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

I'd be moved to Virgo too.  I'm a Libran through and through, though, I fit the traits oh so well...

Yeah, I'm gonna ignore this because it really only matters for when you were born.

#12 | Back to Top01-14-2011 08:03:39 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

winksniper wrote:

I'd be moved to Virgo too.  I'm a Libran through and through, though, I fit the traits oh so well...

Yeah, I'm gonna ignore this because it really only matters for when you were born

How do you figure that out?

#13 | Back to Top01-14-2011 08:32:19 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

By studying astrology.
Basically, according to Western astrology, you only have the set traits of a certain star sign because of how they were aligned the moment you were born.  Regardless of whether the new zodiac matters or not, they don't apply to any of us.  The sun was in Libra, the moon was in Leo, and Taurus was rising the exact moment I was born, and since that information isn't ever gonna change, neither is any other part of my zodiac.

#14 | Back to Top01-14-2011 08:39:19 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Saito Hoshikawa wrote:

winksniper wrote:

Yeah, I'm gonna ignore this because it really only matters for when you were born

How do you figure that out?

Well you're usually told when you're born by your parents, but you can always check your birth certificate if you're unsure.

Sorry I'll stop being facetious now. Apparently the old zodiac was based on miscalculations on the Earth's rotation. Others say that the old zodiac will stay because astrologists really aren't liking the idea. I don't know, I've heard a ton of things and none of it seems very solid.

#15 | Back to Top01-14-2011 08:43:51 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

Alright~...

(Although technically, I'm still gonna consider myself as a mutant hybrid of a Libran and a Virgo. emot-dance In short: I'm still a freak! YAY!)

#16 | Back to Top01-14-2011 10:24:56 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN.

SINCE WHEN AM I A GEMINI? LIES.

EDIT: Apparently these are only effective if you were born after 2009. Misleading article is misleading and the person who wrote it should be karate-chopped in the head with great strength. emot-gonk

Last edited by Azure (01-14-2011 10:33:20 PM)

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

#17 | Back to Top01-14-2011 10:45:55 PM

minervana
High Tripper

I'm an Aquarius and that's that. But, it's strange that people born later will have different signs from me, even if they share my birthday.

Last edited by minervana (01-14-2011 10:46:07 PM)

#18 | Back to Top01-14-2011 10:48:28 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Yeah, I am totally an Aquarius no matter what they say. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#19 | Back to Top01-14-2011 10:58:36 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

minervana wrote:

I'm an Aquarius and that's that. But, it's strange that people born later will have different signs from me, even if they share my birthday.

Quite. But then, that's another thing you can rub in children's faces someday.

"Back in my day, we didn't have any of this 'Ophi-watsit' crap. There were only 12 zodiac signs. AND WE WERE HAPPY." emot-mad

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

#20 | Back to Top01-14-2011 11:08:43 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Like_Autumn wrote:

CNN had an article that it doesn't change for the Western zodiac because they're based on the seasons, not actual star alignment. So the signs aren't actually changing.

This is the real story, right here.  school-eng101

But we can always get more detailed emot-smile  There are basically two schools of thought about how the zodiac should work.  The first is called sidereal astrology, and its idea is dead simple: at the moment you're born, what constellation is the Sun actually situated in?  That constellation, says sidereal astrology, is your sign.  Very easy to understand, and it works the same way for all the other planets.  The problem is that over centuries, the path of the Sun through the sky during the course of the year shifts.  The Sun might have been in Gemini on June 17 in the time of the old Greeks, but these days the Sun is in Taurus on June 17.  That means that in order for sidereal astrology to work, you have to be willing to put up with a shifting relationship of dates to signs, and traditionally in the West we aren't down with that.  We want the signs to stay put.

The second school of thought gives us exactly that.  It's called tropical astrology, and it works -- as Like_Autumn nicely summarizes -- through the seasons.  The equinoxes and solstices that mark the change of seasons are always at the same time of year no matter how many centuries pass, so we fix the tropical zodiac signs around those dates.  That way the calendar of dates and signs doesn't mutate: once a Virgo, always a Virgo.  This also gives us the liberty to make all the signs equally long, even though the Sun doesn't actually take equally long to pass through each of them.  The downside is that the signs in the tropical system are disconnected from what's actually going on in the sky.  A tropical astrologer (which is most of them, in the West) will tell you that your newborn baby's Mars is in Pisces, when you can look up and clearly see for yourself that it's in Aquarius.

So this news article is about the sidereal system, and it disorients us because what we've been taught is the tropical system.  It turns out that the Sun's path has changed a lot over the two-thousand-odd years since the signs were laid down.  The Sun passes through a thirteenth constellation, Ophiuchus, in addition to the old twelve, and it only hits Scorpio for a few days a year anymore.  None of that changes how most astrologers practice astrology, since the whole point of tropical astrology is that what matters are the constant and reliable seasons and not the messy and changing paths of planets through the sky.

What is your actual sign?  Well, if by that you mean "Where was my Sun, physically in the sky, when I was born?", then you want to ask a sidereal astrologer, or consult the table in the news article.  If you mean "How was my Sun situated with respect to the seasons when I was born?", then you don't have to relearn anything: what you've always been taught is correct.  Since astrology does not actually have any bearing on events on Earth, it doesn't much matter which way you choose.  emot-wink

Last edited by satyreyes (01-14-2011 11:12:59 PM)

#21 | Back to Top01-16-2011 08:29:04 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Thanks satyr, that cleared it up. Informative as always.

#22 | Back to Top01-16-2011 08:58:54 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

We aim to please.  emot-wink  It's nice when knowing random trivia actually lets me make myself useful!

#23 | Back to Top01-17-2011 03:43:38 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I'm a Capricorn now? But Capricorn isn't like me at all, well not as much as I was as an Aquarius.

#24 | Back to Top01-17-2011 11:49:04 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

I simply refuse to be an Aquarius emot-mad . I am the most stubborn one, the Capricorn. I'll die to defend this FACT. emot-biggrin

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#25 | Back to Top01-17-2011 03:04:54 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I've never really felt like much of a Libra outside of the awesome concept of always trying to strike a balance in my life -the flirty, outgoing party girl that seems to keep cropping up in the personality aspect has never fit me AT ALL.  What are Virgo's like?

And personally I've always been a fan of the Chineese Zodiac.  Snake definitely suits me.  A lot of my friends have said so to the point that the match is kinda scary.  Even the relationships part is correct - I do have trouble with Tigers in my life.

Board footer