This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-27-2006 01:24:40 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: Musical Theater

I think that the musical number "Vicious Cabaret" from V For Vendetta (the comic, not the movie) would make a really excellent part of a musical. Unless, of course, it already is, in which case I need to find the show that it's in.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#27 | Back to Top12-27-2006 01:42:24 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Ironically, since my dorm is across the street from Phoenix's playhouse (Gammage), I haven't seen many musicals. I love Phantom of the Opera with an undying passion (yeah, stereotypical), I loved The Lion King, I saw the RENT movie (which I also loved), and The Producers was an excellent movie.

Nightmare Before Christmas counts, right? I've always wanted to see a good stage production of that.

I can't act or sing worth anything, so I leave that to professionals. I can play the saxophone, though. And sort of the guitar.

#28 | Back to Top12-27-2006 10:28:44 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

The Nightmare Before Christmas probably would make for an interesting stage production. Disney actually does a really impressive job of turning their movies into stage productions, even for the stage productions in the parks.

Heck did anyone catch Lestat the musical?emot-confusedemot-frownemot-gonkemot-rolleyes ....

I actually almost went to go see it and then I decided it sounded too scary and I let other people go for me. From what I understand the music is pretty good but the over all stage production sucked.

Many things have been made into stage musicals like Evil Dead, and The Lord of the Rings this does not mean they are actually good. I'm actually a little disappointed with musical theater lately. Although Wicked and Avenue Q were bright spots. I have a friend who swears by Boy from Oz, but that was pretty much driven by Hugh Jackman.

I keep hearing mixed things about The Color Purple. I'm not sure I'm ready for that though.

Acutally lately I've been getting a kick out of Forbidden Broadway. Forbidden Broadway is a show that basically rips on all the Broadway productions for the year, not to meantion performers and composers as well. emot-keke I think my favorite Forbidden Broadway songs have been "Cheetah - Rita" (to the tune of America from Werst Side Story), and "I Sleep with Everyone" (to the tune of Love Changes Everything from Aspects of Love). emot-dance

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#29 | Back to Top12-28-2006 09:35:16 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Alithea wrote:

I'm actually a little disappointed with musical theater lately. Although Wicked and Avenue Q were bright spots.

Luke, be a Jedi to~night....

emot-biggrin

#30 | Back to Top01-02-2007 11:22:37 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

And just because I'm a geek, I have to say the magic otaku word: TAKARAZUKA.

(Watched my new copy of Elisabeth for New Year's Eve.  PANTS. ON. FIRE.)

#31 | Back to Top01-02-2007 02:37:55 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Nobody's mentioned the amazing Utena musical? emot-biggrin

#32 | Back to Top01-02-2007 05:26:26 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

And just because I'm a geek, I have to say the magic otaku word: TAKARAZUKA.

I've watched a few Takarazuka clips (Phantom, Utena, Sailor Moon, Singing In the Rain) and honestly I wasn't too impressed. emot-frown I really tried to like the Utena musical but it just felt silly to me, I guess. But then again, watching a clip of a show never does it any justice. You have to see a show live to truly appreciate it. (If you watch a clip of Assassins, Sweeney Todd, Avenue Q, or Wicked on youtube you'll never see how amazing it is!) So I'm going to reserve my judgement for now. Hopefully someday I'll see a live Takarazuka show!

#33 | Back to Top01-02-2007 11:56:07 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Nightmare Before Christmas would indeed make a good stage production. And it would be flooded by teenyboppers who buy merchandise at Hot Topic and think it makes them edgy and tough. But I'd still go to see it.

And the Producers movie was a laugh riot. Especially any scene with Uma Thurman. Hooo boy...

#34 | Back to Top01-04-2007 09:17:41 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Emiemipoemi wrote:

I've watched a few Takarazuka clips (Phantom, Utena, Sailor Moon, Singing In the Rain) and honestly I wasn't too impressed. emot-frown I really tried to like the Utena musical but it just felt silly to me, I guess. But then again, watching a clip of a show never does it any justice. You have to see a show live to truly appreciate it. (If you watch a clip of Assassins, Sweeney Todd, Avenue Q, or Wicked on youtube you'll never see how amazing it is!) So I'm going to reserve my judgement for now. Hopefully someday I'll see a live Takarazuka show!

Utena and Sailor Moon aren't actual Takarazuka shows, as an FYI.  Phantom... I'm actually pretty "enh" on Phantom, though Haruno Sumire is v. v. hot in it.

The thing that gets me most about Takarazuka is the gender play.  For instance, this song ("Yami Ga Hirogaru" from Elisabeth) is what hooked me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmq7Fw6TZvE

Two women, playing men, singing, dancing, and nearly kissing.  Um.  YES.

But it's true: some theatre just doesn't come across in recordings.

Last edited by tohubohu (01-04-2007 09:17:59 AM)

#35 | Back to Top01-04-2007 12:41:46 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Oo that was interesting. I liked the song. emot-biggrin

#36 | Back to Top01-04-2007 07:26:32 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Emiemipoemi wrote:

I've watched a few Takarazuka clips (Phantom, Utena, Sailor Moon, Singing In the Rain) and honestly I wasn't too impressed. emot-frown I really tried to like the Utena musical but it just felt silly to me, I guess.

Neither Utena nor Sailor Moon was real Takarazuka...actually...Sailor Moon wasn't even fake Takarazuka, there was plenty of guys in it.

But the clip that made me enjoy the Utena musical was Nanbito mo Kataru Koto Nashi. Touga sings his(her) own duel song and dances suggestively with the Shadow Girls!

tohubohu wrote:

The thing that gets me most about Takarazuka is the gender play.  For instance, this song ("Yami Ga Hirogaru" from Elisabeth) is what hooked me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmq7Fw6TZvE

Two women, playing men, singing, dancing, and nearly kissing.  Um.  YES.

But it's true: some theatre just doesn't come across in recordings.

Oh my goodness, I can't stop watching it. emot-gonk Utterly amazing. Ahh. I...I....

I really need to look into Takarazuka more. etc-love

#37 | Back to Top01-04-2007 07:58:50 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Nessy wrote:

But the clip that made me enjoy the Utena musical was Nanbito mo Kataru Koto Nashi. Touga sings his(her) own duel song and dances suggestively with the Shadow Girls!

I just watched that for the first time, and you know.... I like that. I've never watched the musical because I figured I'd hate it, but I'm pleasantly surprised, although Touga's voice could have been a bit stronger.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#38 | Back to Top01-04-2007 09:07:16 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I'm in awe that those women can sing that low for that long and not blow their vioces! emot-aaa

(Has been looking up Elisabeth and watching clip of it. I like it more than the other things I've seen!)

#39 | Back to Top01-04-2007 11:58:58 PM

Nessy
Website

Yasha wrote:

Nessy wrote:

I just watched that for the first time, and you know.... I like that. I've never watched the musical because I figured I'd hate it, but I'm pleasantly surprised, although Touga's voice could have been a bit stronger.

It is really easy to hate the musical, (besides the terrible structure, goofy acting, and ridiculous songs, there are ENTIRELY too many lame saxophone solos) but it helps to see that scene first...because it is the best. Mostly because Touga's actress is the most competant at acting the part of her character.

Unfortunately, however, Anthy's actress is the only one who can sing on key.

There's a couple of other good scenes in the musical, including Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku (it's sort of hard to mess that one up, although I guess the Black Rose arc basically succeeded) and A Rose With No Flower...but most of it is really not worth watching. Especially, avoid Thank You For Your Love like the plague. It is the dopiest, most ridiculous thing I have ever seen and managed to make me actually angry on the original characters' behalfs. emot-gonk

Although it does help that said song (and, incidentally, the entire musical) ends with Touga and Akio high-fiving.

#40 | Back to Top01-05-2007 12:13:10 AM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

I've never seen a live musical, but there are a few I would like to see. I would really like to see Wicked because I just adore the music etc-love. I like the original Producers, but I didn't like the new version. There was no LSD and that made me a sad panda.  As far as musical movies go, I've always liked The Music Man and Easter Parade.

#41 | Back to Top01-05-2007 12:29:07 AM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

HOLY CRAP.
I had forgotten entirely about this until I read this thread... I have been to the Takarazuka theatre. My brain worries me...
Emiemipoemi is right, those clips don't do the theatre any real justice. The production values are pretty massive, and it shows through - the sets are beautiful, and very well-filled. A lot of the stories are quite hamfisted and predictable, and there's usually a splatter of melodrama on things. That said, the singing, the acting and the dancing are all quite awesome, and usually you get two shows for the price of one - one flat-out musical theatre, and one eye-searingly energetic song-and-dance routine that lasts near on an hour.
It's not expensive, either! Maybe 4000 yen for a tolerable seat at matinee, though the best ones are closer to triple that for an evening performance.
So yes, Takarazuka is highly recommended!

#42 | Back to Top01-05-2007 02:39:55 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

For those entertained by the Elisabeth clip to which I posted a link, I've actually put together the "YouTube Elisabeth" in a post on my LJ here: http://heavenscalyx.livejournal.com/991249.html

Alas, some of the clips have been removed since I did this, but persist.  There's a bunch of good ones there.

Many of my public posts are links to Takarazuka clips that blow my mind.

Want SO MUCH to see this live.

#43 | Back to Top01-05-2007 04:58:59 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I just saw Refer Madness last night. OMG! It was great...so very funny and great satire. It's also a very interesting non-zombie movie with zombies in it. Er... you will know what I mean if you see it.

I think the only probably I had with it is that I have had the main song Refer Madness stuck in my head nearly all day long.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#44 | Back to Top01-05-2007 09:55:14 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Reefer Madness is WONDERFUL. And so it Alan Cummings. emot-biggrin

I just recently saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I'm absolutely in love with the music. etc-love

Anyone here a Les Miz fan? Been listening to a lot of that lately too!

#45 | Back to Top01-06-2007 12:07:33 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I etc-love Les Mis. Seriously. I was hooked when I heard the overture way back when. But now it's "Lovely Ladies" that really does it for me.

#46 | Back to Top01-06-2007 02:26:53 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I love Les Miz. It's an interesting show. It's becuase of that show I made an attempt to read the novel when I was in 7th grade...unabridged. Let's just say I made it just to the point where Jean Val Jean mets Cosette's mother and then gave up. I haven't had the heart to try and pick it up again. I really should though. It disappointed me that I never finished the novel just because I got through The Phantom of the Opera with out any trouble at all. I must have read that book fifty times .

There's a Forbidden Broadway collection of songs spoofing Les Mis. My favorite of which is "I dreamed a show" (to the melody of I dreamed a Dream) which speaks of the change in trends in Broadway. There is is also "Bring it Down" (the the melody Bring him home) in which the Jean Val Jean actor pleads for the key to be brought down.

Oh hey looky lyrics:

I Dreamed A Show

There was a time when show were fun
And they used bright lighting
And the shows weren't so long
And the songs weren't so biting
There was a time then it all went wrong

I dreamed a show in time gone by
When all the scenery looked so pretty
I didn't sing one song then die
And all my costumes weren't so gritty

I did a tap dance and I smiled
And pathos wasn't over stated
My lips were red, my hair was styled
I didn't act so constipated

But now that misery's in style
It's artistic if you suffer
So they tore my dress apart
And the chorus girls walked lame

I dreamed a show in days gone by
Neil Diamond didn't sing my hit song
A pretty girl they'd glorify
And act one wasn't so damn long

Come watch us grovel in the dirt
Then by a souvineer then dawn it
Rich folks py twenty bucks a shirt
That has a starving pauper on it

I dreamed a show of days gone by
When all the sets weren't piles of rubble
I didn't have to belt high E
And be as miserable as me

Last edited by Alithea (01-06-2007 02:27:30 PM)

#47 | Back to Top01-07-2007 12:21:31 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That's awesome. Seriously awesome. Nothing like a nice parody.

#48 | Back to Top01-07-2007 02:11:08 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I just watched a few clips of Forbidden Broadway. I'd never seen it before! I liked it. emot-biggrin

#49 | Back to Top01-07-2007 03:50:57 PM

puella_nerdii
Miki Molester

Joining in the Forbidden Broadway love here -- my favorite stuff of theirs is probably their Les Mis parodies, but I love "Phantom of the Musical," because I can always get behind Sarah Brightman-bashing. And "Defying Chenowith" is one of my faves from their more recent songs.

And mmm, Les Mis. Still possibly the best show I was ever in, if only because my castmates decided to sing the show in Minnesota accents once. And then the guys all put on can-can skirts and did a kickline to "Do You Hear The People Sing?" I love being a theater kid.

I'm a big old Sondheim fangirl -- Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods especially get my love, but I've been listening to Assassins a lot lately. Stephen Schwartz is great, too. And a lot of the musicals that Bob Fosse was involved with somehow rock. Mmm, Chicago and Cabaret.

I need to check out all the Takarazuka stuff. It sounds pretty fun.

#50 | Back to Top01-07-2007 04:33:05 PM

Nessy
Website

puella_nerdii wrote:

And a lot of the musicals that Bob Fosse was involved with somehow rock. Mmm, Chicago and Cabaret.

That is because he is AMAZING.

Whenever my mother gets into a mood, she rents "Fosse" (a compilation performance of all of his best numbers, basically) from the library and watches it over and over again--I almost look forward to those times, because his choreography is just so neat. emot-dance

Also, basically all I have been doing for the past two days is watching Takarazuka numbers. Over and over again. ALL THE TIME. Thanks a lot, tohubohu. This is definitely all your fault. emot-gonk

Board footer