This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-06-2012 06:53:49 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: What stale media archetypes make no sense to you?

It's because we're, to coin a phrase, "temporarily embarrassed millionaires."

Media trains us to think bills pay themselves and jobs, going where the work is, is only an excuse to remain emotionally unavailable and probably scheme with guys like Ellis from Die Hard.

Man, Ellis was such a dick.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#27 | Back to Top10-07-2012 02:03:28 PM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

Lurv wrote:

Stepmothers can be pretty nasty though.

That's part of it. It's always the stepmother, never the biological mother. Because again. actually crapping the kids out makes you holy and wonderful.

#28 | Back to Top10-07-2012 06:17:52 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Hrm, yeah. Makes me feel a little better that my mother characters seem to be less than ideal so far.

#29 | Back to Top10-07-2012 06:55:26 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

PEOPLE are less than ideal. It's insanity to portray "ideal" characters all the time.

#30 | Back to Top10-07-2012 07:17:53 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Well, I said that as an understatement, but yeah.

Of course, if I remember right, the evil stepmothers in fairy tales were originally the biological mother.

#31 | Back to Top06-15-2014 02:01:33 AM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

I. HATE. TSUNDERE. CHARACTERS. They almost always treat the main character(s) like crap and no one ever calls them on their bullshit.

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

#32 | Back to Top06-15-2014 11:35:02 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I'm a bit tired of the only villainous female characters being the "special" ones.  I mean, okay, if you have a sexist head villain or something, they might not put women in the rank and file, but the bad guys are often the most racially diverse, so why can't we just have an evil army with equal representation of gender?

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#33 | Back to Top06-15-2014 02:54:17 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

The disproving, hard to read in-laws that the milktoast MALE lead wants to impress.  SO BORING.  SO EVERYWHERE.  Because we still live in a time where the father's approval (it's rarely the mother he's trying to get a blessing from) is necessary in order to love or marry a woman, because she is an object that must be taken from him, of course.  But really, I just don't see the majority of in-laws being asshats like that.  Most are just as painfully awkward around their child's spouse as the spouse is, and ecstatic to see them in love.

Also much hate for the "gun on the mantle" type fathers who try to warn any boys dating their daughters hurr durr what a tired joke my god.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (06-15-2014 02:57:31 PM)

#34 | Back to Top06-17-2014 09:45:39 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Science people who are full experts in everything deemed 'Science' by the lowest common denominator. God forbid they actually specialized in something and aren't proficient in anything else. I get it if it's in media aimed at children , but in the so-called adult world it reeks of a certain level of disrespect for people who dedicate their entire professional lives to a single demanding field, and then the mass media judges that too boring to represent properly. I know multidisciplinary scientists exist, but they are recognized as such and given additional credit for it. Not to mention they are extremely rare.

Board footer