This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top03-09-2012 06:59:48 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Absolute Destiny Sburb

Haha, no, I'm pretty sure AH is not actually UU.  He's cosplaying, like when he cosplayed Lord English during Act Five or some kind of hope robot during A6I1.  But it sure does look more and more likely that UU is related to Roxy's mom's Calmasis character, doesn't it?

#102 | Back to Top03-09-2012 07:32:59 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Haha, no, I'm pretty sure AH is not actually UU.  He's cosplaying, like when he cosplayed Lord English during Act Five or some kind of hope robot during A6I1.  But it sure does look more and more likely that UU is related to Roxy's mom's Calmasis character, doesn't it?

it does. I hope that is not the reason why we see a dead Karkat when Roxy was floating in the void. :U

#103 | Back to Top03-11-2012 08:20:23 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Uhhh. Karkat? You're RED

I love you so much. I'm proud of you! etc-love

#104 | Back to Top03-12-2012 09:17:10 PM

7scimitarroll
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Hiraku wrote:

I hope that is not the reason why we see a dead Karkat when Roxy was floating in the void. :U

I would not be concerned on this count. UU would have needed to access to Karkat's session in some doomed timeline.

On a different topic, it looks like dead God Tiers keep some of their powers while in the Dream Bubbles. Interesting….

Trivial—but potentially enlightening—discussion topic: if the characters of Utena were players of Sburb, what do you think their Titles/Aspects would be?

#105 | Back to Top03-13-2012 04:01:26 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

7scimitarroll wrote:

Trivial—but potentially enlightening—discussion topic: if the characters of Utena were players of Sburb, what do you think their Titles/Aspects would be?

Last night I took a stab at this question, just to say hello, but I didn't get very far because I immediately ran into an unacceptable compromise.  Given the themes of the show, Utena must perforce be a PRINCE, but mechanically she is obviously a KNIGHT.  She can't be both, so I gave up there.

Anthy thematically has to be a WITCH, and that seems acceptable to me mechanically as well.  Perhaps a WITCH of HOPE.

Juri's defining denial of miracles makes her aspect LIGHT.  Is she a PRINCE of LIGHT?  Or an HEIR?

It seems to me that Mikage could go a number of ways depending on how you frame him.  He's able to conduct a complicated orchestra of betrayals by playing on people's insecurities and emptinesses -- does that make him a SEER of VOID?  On the other hand, he subverts their souls to his own purposes -- perhaps he's a THIEF of HEART?  Yet still, he has an uncanny knack for hearing and exploiting a person's anger -- is he a MAGE of RAGE?  And he manages to outlive himself, cutting out a swath for his own era at the expense of ours -- like a PRINCE of TIME?

I hope we get more exposition on the classes soon. emot-smile

#106 | Back to Top03-13-2012 07:28:55 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I think Utena is the Prince of Heart.

Remembering what UU said about those with the title of a "Prince". It's those who destroys the aspect or destroys USING the aspect which they represent.

Utena essentially broke down the cycles of abuse Anthy suffered through because of her feelings for Anthy. Due to her feelings for Anthy, she swore to liberate the witch, thereby causing the collapse of the Castle of Eternity.

I think Juri would do well with "Light", but I'm not sure if "Prince" suits her. Instead of destroying, she seemed to have spent most of the series protecting something precious to her, in this case, her belief that miracles exist, despite the many occasions to which she protested that it doesn't exist or that she doesn't need it to win the duel. I think she'd do better as a "Knight" than a "Prince". Reason being that she has not been able to destroy miracle or manipulate miracle to destroy the things around her. Rather, miracle has "controlled" the outcomes of her duels.

I like the idea of Anthy being Witch of Hope, though. Because she is the one who ultimately gets to win the duel. The fact that she doesn't seem to have any hope of saving herself reminds me of how it would seem to be the case that Jade and Feferi are able to control their surroundings, but unable to utilize that aspect onto themselves. (Otherwise, Feferi would've automatically revived herself by doing the Life thing like Jane, I think)

Last edited by Hiraku (03-13-2012 07:30:39 PM)

#107 | Back to Top03-13-2012 08:20:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I suppose Utena did "smash the world's shell," didn't she?  (If by "the world" we mean Anthy.)  I guess that could make her a prince.  I just have trouble getting my head around the idea that Utena is fundamentally a destroyer, and not, for example, a protector.  If she is a prince, she is most certainly a Prince of Heart; she literally uses her soul sword to destroy things.

And I do think there is some resonance between Utena and young Dirk Strider, though I don't know how much!

Last edited by satyreyes (03-13-2012 08:24:16 PM)

#108 | Back to Top03-13-2012 09:15:02 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

They've both stirred up some serious troubles for the people they cared about.

Dirk angered the Condesce by killing one of her underling, and basically make his proclamation known that "Your shit is wrecked". I think part of his motivation might have been that Prospit Jake was killed.

That's kinda like Utena when she swore to protect Anthy, and that made Akio nervous.

Another thing about Utena and Dirk i feel is that... I don't know if Utena's fully aware of the impact her action has upon beating the duelists and essentially breaking down their fundamental beliefs. Then again.... I don't think Dirk's fully aware of how his actions impacted his surroundings, either. Maybe it's this lack of awareness that allowed them to not hold back from breaking things down, earning themselves the title worthy of destruction.

---LATEST HOMESTUCK UPDATE---
Hussie is shipping one of my favorite ship. I wonder how long this will last...

Last edited by Hiraku (03-13-2012 09:16:59 PM)

#109 | Back to Top03-14-2012 03:31:59 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I ship Dave/Terezi so hard and I also ship Karkat/Terezi. It would make an awesome OT3. :3

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#110 | Back to Top04-02-2012 07:31:40 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

So the most recent development is probbbbably just an April Fool's joke, but it would be fun if it weren't.  emot-biggrin

For some reason, it took me this long to get that the recurring gag line about "irons in the fire" is literal as well as figurative.  The Sufferer was punished with hot irons.  Vriska is the one who usually pulls out the line about the irons, and Spinneret Mindfang was one of his followers.  I'm sure Vriska isn't conscious of what she's saying, but it strikes me as a subliminal parallel between the beta trolls and their ancestors.

And as for the alpha trolls -- I think I'm in love with Aranea.  etc-love

#111 | Back to Top04-02-2012 08:09:26 PM

7scimitarroll
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

It has been pointed out to me that Hussie's avatar has always had blank white eyes, just like his ghosts and other dead people. His avatar may be, among other things, a"Death of the Author" gag.
I did not notice that aspect of the "irons in the fire" line. I'm… a little dubious, but it works.

#112 | Back to Top06-04-2012 04:03:20 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

In a relatively recent update, we finally got to see what web browser Jake English uses. He uses a browser called Abraxas. emot-aaa

Please tell me I was not the only person who thought of Utena and this forum.

#113 | Back to Top06-04-2012 04:20:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

What's even better, if Jake follows the same pattern the rest of the cast has, Abraxas will also turn out to be the name of his Denizen.  emot-smile

#114 | Back to Top06-04-2012 04:38:39 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I'm not sure if I could handle that much Gnosticism in my Homestuck. And by not handle I mean end up spending way too much time on Wikipedia learning everything I possibly can so I can try to predict plot points. school-sherlock

#115 | Back to Top06-04-2012 07:44:57 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Well, Jake is a Page.  Pages have great potential.  Sinclair, in Demian, is definitely a Page.  I don't think the choice of Abraxas was coincidental emot-smile  (Though I think the thinking right now is that Denizens are tied to aspect, not class.)

#116 | Back to Top06-04-2012 09:20:17 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Man, tumblr is also catching on about the Abraxas deal o_o

http://theyoungdoyley.tumblr.com/tagged/abraxas

I think it's also no coincidence that his surname was "English" in this sense. It can very well be that he has what it takes to bring the Alpha and Beta kids out of this endless loop of moebius double reacharound.

That said, though... since Abraxas is technically a deity of duality (Encompassing good and evil, etc), first thing came to mind was uu and UU, which are very much two extremes with one being very nice, and the other being very vicious (and apparently, killed UU's dream self).

#117 | Back to Top06-08-2012 09:49:27 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Double-post.

Just saw today's update... and this tumblr post... I wonder... I was pretty convinced that what happened recently between UU and uu proves that they're two different people, until I saw this post: http://elasticitymudflap.tumblr.com/pos … ing-update

#118 | Back to Top06-08-2012 12:12:56 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Double-post.

Just saw today's update... and this tumblr post... I wonder... I was pretty convinced that what happened recently between UU and uu proves that they're two different people, until I saw this post: http://elasticitymudflap.tumblr.com/pos … ing-update

I think it proved, if it weren't proven already, that they're the same person.  Why else would they communicate by computer in the middle of a chess game?  Even more damning, why log off right after making a move, only for the other player to log on again?  The only reason I can think of is that only one of them exists at a time, which is to say that they're two personalities in one body.  There is even more evidence here too, but this is enough.

But while we've been paying attention to uu and UU, we have been given a fascinating riddle: the king and the queen switched places.  This has got to have something to do with Skaia's very own chessman kings and queens.

#119 | Back to Top06-08-2012 06:57:49 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Argh. UU why did you write off uu's ooc play style as uu slightly improving at chess instead of maybe asking if uu actually switched pieces? You just can't assume stuff like that when playing a clearly allegorical chess game with a homicidal troll. emot-gonk

satyreyes wrote:

But while we've been paying attention to uu and UU, we have been given a fascinating riddle: the king and the queen switched places.  This has got to have something to do with Skaia's very own chessman kings and queens.

And the most fascinating part is that they didn't switch. So I suppose that means there's a king disguised as a queen and a queen disguised as a king out somewhere. (Lord English and The Condesce perhaps?)

#120 | Back to Top06-08-2012 08:22:15 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

At the end of the chess game, where the one red pawn stands while everyone else falls, it reminded me of how Jack Noir was the only one standing while everyone from Prospit and Derse was either exiled or killed.

But that was very early on. I don't know if Hussie is big on rehashing what happened in the past. (Although the Liv Tyler story was explained through a really fast forwarding of Act 1 through 5, and same goes for Jasper)

Last edited by Hiraku (06-08-2012 08:23:33 PM)

#121 | Back to Top06-08-2012 09:17:22 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I went ahead and set up and played out the chess game just for fun.  Phase 1 really is pretty funny.  UU accidentally checks the disguised Black King twice (thinking she is attacking the queen); uu correctly removes the check both times, once by moving the disguised King out of check (which in turn propels UU into a completely unnecessary defensive move, since she thinks it's a queen) and once by capturing the attacking piece.  I didn't catch any major blunders on UU's side during Phase 1.

During Phase 2, UU falls apart.  After

Code:

UU    uu
      Qc2+
Ke3   Rc3+

the correct move for UU is king to d4.  uu has to keep giving check, because the first time uu doesn't give check, UU will play Qe7 checkmate.  But there are only so many ways for uu to give check, and all of the sane ones let UU's king escape to e5 and beyond, where uu won't be able to get to him.  I am pretty sure this was a winnable game for UU.

Instead, UU continued with

Code:

UU    uu
QxR?  QxQ+
Ke2   e5

and the attack on the real Black King is neutered.  But at least uu does not immediately threaten checkmate either.  UU's one vulnerable square, f3, is guarded by a rook.  uu's pawn to e5 is supposed to dislodge the rook, but UU can move the rook safely as long as it stays on the f file.  I think UU should play Rf5, protecting her vulnerability.  Instead, she plays

Code:

UU    uu
Rc4   Qf3+

and the wolves are in the manger.  I don't think that Rc4 is the "idiotic blunder" uu calls it in chat.  Perhaps UU is thinking that she can later play Rc8+ and pick up uu's remaining rook -- which in fact is exactly what will happen.  But then UU should respond to the check with Ke1.  After Ke1, uu cannot continue the attack and Rc8+ will be a real threat -- possibly even a mating threat.  Instead, inexplicably, UU continues with

Code:

UU    uu
Kd2?? Qd5+
Kc2   QxB

where uu has happily accepted UU's engraved invitation to pick up a free bishop.  UU makes good on her threat but doesn't think it through:

Code:

UU    uu
Rc8+  Kd7
RxR??

No, no, NO!!!  This is where UU really betrays her lack of concentration.  The correct continuation was:

Code:

UU    uu
Rc8+  Kd7
Rg7+! Ke6
Rg6+  Kf7
RxQ   RxR+

where UU skewers uu's queen, giving up only a rook as compensation.  This would neutralize losing the bishop while keeping UU's other rook somewhere useful, giving UU a fighting chance.  Instead, UU picks up the "free" rook -- free in quotes because UU is effectively trading rooks by putting hers in such a useless position.  Predictably, uu continues with ...Qc5+ and UU obligingly gets shoved around the board for the rest of the game.  I'm not a great chess player, but I think UU is pretty strong; she seemed to play Phase 1 of the game well, with no errors that I could spot.  But after the crowns come off she just loses it entirely.  emot-frown

Last edited by satyreyes (06-08-2012 09:51:00 PM)

#122 | Back to Top06-08-2012 09:20:20 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Awww, man. I felt pretty bad for UU, but now that I see that she probably still has a chance to win it, that really rots for her emot-frown

#123 | Back to Top06-08-2012 09:58:30 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

You know, I had stopped the analysis there originally, because that's where the game became unsalvageable.  But UU's play after that point is also really bad.  UU twice makes unforced bad moves that invite uu to fork her king and another piece, just as uu did with the bishop.  The most incredible is a point where UU can use her rook to take a free pawn and give check, but instead chooses to twiddle her king in a way that serves no purpose at all except to allow uu to fork the king and rook.  This is beyond bad chess; you have to try to play that badly.  You can actually watch the stages of UU's furious meltdown, from "still trying to win but badly rattled" to "just playing the first dumb move that comes to mind" to "actively sabotaging myself."

I have never seen a chessboard used so effectively as a storytelling medium.  emot-rofl

#124 | Back to Top06-13-2012 01:25:21 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

... this tumblr post explained how uu's drawings might have indicated the troll's suffering from dissociative identity disorder.

http://ophiuchustroll.tumblr.com/post/2 … ot-a-thing

Interesting take :|a But, that also got me wondering. We've also seen UU's fanart of Dirk as the Prince of Heart (or at least her interpretation of it), and it looked alright. If UU/uu is actually the same person, wouldn't UU also be drawing very badly, too? (I don't know enough psychology, unfortunately...)

#125 | Back to Top06-16-2012 10:01:51 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Anthiena wrote:

WQ, you are epic win. EDIT: ...but why are you holding the king's scepter?

...SUDDENLY RELEVANT AGAIN.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

Board footer