This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-07-2009 08:53:31 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

Innocence (film)

Has anyone seen the French film 'Innocence'? I watched it on a whim one day and it has more than a few things in common with Utena.

~It takes place at a girls' school in the middle of nowhere
~Girls arrive in coffins
~Girls are forbidden to leave the school or go to the outside world
~Girls wear color-coded ribbons in their hair to show their age
~It's a massive allegory about young girls, puberty, and sexuality.
~It's chock full of symbolism and unnecessary nekkidness.

The movie came out after 'Utena', but it's based off a novella by Frank Wedekind, the German feller who wrote 'Spring Awakening' and mostly about young people and sex. I think we've found another influence in 'Utena'! emot-smile

If anyone here has io cable, it's available on demand in the foreign films.

It's also a total brainfuck, but it's really interesting.

#2 | Back to Top10-07-2009 09:22:54 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Innocence (film)

I have this movie on DVD!  It is very surreal and awesome. Actually, the first thing I thought while watching it was that it was what Rule of Rose could possibly have been were it a movie.

The cinematography is amazing.

I like how they tell you nothing at the beginning, and nothing at the end; it's up to the viewer to figure out what's going on. Actually, they don't tell you much of what's going on during the movie either. It's a complete sensory experience.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (10-07-2009 09:24:55 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#3 | Back to Top10-08-2009 01:48:53 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

It sounds really interesting! I'll have to see if I can find it.

20 threads dead so far.

#4 | Back to Top10-12-2009 04:59:45 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

I have this movie on DVD!  It is very surreal and awesome. Actually, the first thing I thought while watching it was that it was what Rule of Rose could possibly have been were it a movie.

The cinematography is amazing.

I like how they tell you nothing at the beginning, and nothing at the end; it's up to the viewer to figure out what's going on. Actually, they don't tell you much of what's going on during the movie either. It's a complete sensory experience.

An English translation of the book it's based on is coming out in January, but the more I think about it, the more surprised I am at how much is lifted straight from the text for Utena.

#5 | Back to Top10-18-2009 01:48:59 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

I absolutely love Frank Wedekind's work after I read/saw Spring Awakening, he's a bit of a children revolutionary emot-tongue

Great to hear another one of his works is being translated! I have to check this film out o.o The coffins bit sounds especially haunting.

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#6 | Back to Top10-24-2009 07:15:00 PM

DerJakob
Miki Molester

I just downloaded this to watch it, especially because I can't resist anything tied to German literature (and even more especially fin-de-siècle stuff). I'm starting it now, but a quick note: the German title of the story is "Mine-Haha, oder Über die körperliche Erziehung der jungen Mädchen." The wording of that title is tricky enough as it is and isn't lightly or guiltlessly translated, but what caught my eye and made me do a little research first was the "Mine-Haha" part, which sounded like a lot of geographical names from the Midwest. Sure enough, I remembered that "Minnesota" means "sky-blue water," and upon investigation discovered that "Mine-haha" means "laughing water." Excited I am!

Ok, that said, I'm gonna watch it now. Thanks for the recommendation!

"The tradition of the oppressed teaches us that the 'state of emergency' in which we live is not the exception but the rule. We must attain to a conception of history that is in keeping with this insight. Then we shall clearly realize that it is our task to bring about a real state of emergency, and this will improve our position in the struggle against Fascism."
-Walter Benjamin

#7 | Back to Top10-24-2009 08:21:41 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

DerJakob wrote:

I just downloaded this to watch it, especially because I can't resist anything tied to German literature (and even more especially fin-de-siècle stuff). I'm starting it now, but a quick note: the German title of the story is "Mine-Haha, oder Über die körperliche Erziehung der jungen Mädchen." The wording of that title is tricky enough as it is and isn't lightly or guiltlessly translated, but what caught my eye and made me do a little research first was the "Mine-Haha" part, which sounded like a lot of geographical names from the Midwest. Sure enough, I remembered that "Minnesota" means "sky-blue water," and upon investigation discovered that "Mine-haha" means "laughing water." Excited I am!

Ok, that said, I'm gonna watch it now. Thanks for the recommendation!

Where did you find it for download?? I swear I've looked everywhere. No local videorental stores have it in my area and as a student I'm actually very weak on funds for things like media emot-gonk

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#8 | Back to Top10-24-2009 08:45:59 PM

DerJakob
Miki Molester

I use http://www.isohunt.com for most all torrents (save those on Animesuki etc.). I found it there under the name "Innocence (2004)." It comes with a .srt or whatever for English subtitles if you don't speak French, and, despite their being riddled with typos, they're pretty decent.

"The tradition of the oppressed teaches us that the 'state of emergency' in which we live is not the exception but the rule. We must attain to a conception of history that is in keeping with this insight. Then we shall clearly realize that it is our task to bring about a real state of emergency, and this will improve our position in the struggle against Fascism."
-Walter Benjamin

#9 | Back to Top10-25-2009 05:25:10 PM

DerJakob
Miki Molester

Just finished it!

Gorgeous film, lots to say, not sure what exactly. I suppose one of the first things I noticed upon finishing it is that it ends exactly as it begins, which makes it nice and cyclical, like the inescapable reality of sex and gender socialization. Yay silent ideological oppression! All of the water imagery is really fantastic, complete with the vaginal waterfall in the beginning and phallic spout at the end. Etrangere wrote a nice number on water imagery in SKU last week, so it'd be really interesting to compare those observations with this film.

Aside from that, it's an obvious critique of gender socialization and femininity (complete with boundaries and borders!). And, in my experience with French satire, it's not always funny, but is, in fact, often rather disconcerting, and in the tradition does not offer any alternatives to the system that it critiques. Woe! Tough stuff, but true to the core. I really enjoyed it and will need to watch it again to say anything more profound, but I'm open to anything anyone else has to say. emot-biggrin

-Walter Benjamin

Board footer