This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-03-2008 08:37:48 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Virtual Star Embryology - Japanese Censor???

Apparently, VSE censored Utena and Anthy's kiss during the broadcasting time. Did anyone else know about this or am I the last one to hear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQy16Ku2sq4

Will this version be in the remastered edition? Hopefully?

EDIT: Sucky grammar.

Last edited by Rae (04-03-2008 08:40:14 PM)

#2 | Back to Top04-03-2008 09:26:05 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Virtual Star Embryology - Japanese Censor???

I've always wondered how I came by a shot of them kissing. emot-aaa

I kinda think it's better without the kiss, I dunno. I do really think that Utena and Anthy are supposed to be about friendship, not sex. But maybe I'm idealistic?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top04-03-2008 10:13:27 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

(Isn't friendship plus sex ideal?)

I sort of like it kept ambiguous myself, even though I'm all "Go love!" for them.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#4 | Back to Top04-03-2008 11:54:18 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I didn't know there were two versions of it. But I actually like the censored version more, it looks more artistic and SKU-like. It's still pretty obvious they are kissing but it is portrayed more subtly, like everything else in SKU. I think that's one of the things that makes SKU more fascinating.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#5 | Back to Top04-04-2008 02:49:00 AM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

Oo! Neat! emot-smile I think I like the other one more since the series was always more about being a tease and being creative about how to show the sexual stuff.

Goddamn. Now I really can't wait for the HD release. emot-biggrin emot-biggrin emot-biggrin

#6 | Back to Top04-04-2008 09:42:26 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

I'm more in tune with Giovanna and Maarika on this. The censors concealed nothing that wasn't obvious anyway and slightly improved the artistic merit of the scene. This is part of what makes me nervous about the re-mastering project.

#7 | Back to Top04-04-2008 09:50:27 PM

atolm
Miki Molester
Website

I just thought I'd pop in and assuage any fears about this version being used/being part of the remastering project; the "uncensored" version is fan-made. The author himself just replaced the off-centered image with another version that includes Utena and Anthy's faces. Personally, I don't think it works very well -- it undoes the dramatic tension and deflates the impact of the wide shot of the two embracing. In that final shot, their faces are again off-screen, so having them kiss close up, and then pull out for a dramatic long shot, only to again conceal the kiss itself, is counter-productive for the sort of mood being established.  (And I apologize for neglecting the other thread -- I've been a busy boy)

#8 | Back to Top04-05-2008 12:09:38 AM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

atolm wrote:

I just thought I'd pop in and assuage any fears about this version being used/being part of the remastering project; the "uncensored" version is fan-made. The author himself just replaced the off-centered image with another version that includes Utena and Anthy's faces. Personally, I don't think it works very well -- it undoes the dramatic tension and deflates the impact of the wide shot of the two embracing. In that final shot, their faces are again off-screen, so having them kiss close up, and then pull out for a dramatic long shot, only to again conceal the kiss itself, is counter-productive for the sort of mood being established.  (And I apologize for neglecting the other thread -- I've been a busy boy)

Aah. The picture did seem a little off.

#9 | Back to Top04-05-2008 08:41:51 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I think that the edited version is more suited for the show, while the kiss is more suited for most fans.

But I think that the ambiguous relationship that they share is a very unique quality of the fandom! So either version is fine by me.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#10 | Back to Top04-05-2008 08:50:08 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Ayarou from the author comments of the video wrote:

I used a kiss scene that was not used at the time of TV broadcast.
It was published to a Japanese magazine in the past as the one scene of Virtual Star Embryology.

I totally read that wrong. Sorry everyone. emot-frown Got a little too excited when I saw it.

Last edited by Rae (04-05-2008 08:54:11 AM)

#11 | Back to Top04-05-2008 03:32:41 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

dollface wrote:

But I think that the ambiguous relationship that they share is a very unique quality of the fandom!

Exactly.  Utena and Anthy are the source of endless "They are a couple! They aren't a couple! Are too! Are not!" debates, it seems.

I like the VSO ED just the way it is in the show, it's pretty much perfect in terms of visual composition, and I wouldn't change a thing.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

Board footer