This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-05-2012 09:34:47 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

[AMV] Opposites Attract (Miki/Anthy/Kozue)

I feel pretty dirty doing so much hardcore pimpin' of these AMVs, using up precious forum space. I'm posting this one because I put a lot of effort into addressing earlier constructive critiques. I'm hoping this one is more focused, creates a more coherent narrative, and shows character development.

Plus the song is from Black Swan, so you gotta admit that goes nice with SKU. emot-dance

Opposites Attract (Miki/Anthy/Kozue)

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#2 | Back to Top06-05-2012 10:03:41 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: [AMV] Opposites Attract (Miki/Anthy/Kozue)

Somehow, the video's "equating" of Shiori Cabbage Butterfly to Sunlit Garden Butterfly at the opening give me the chills ~

Though I love Miki and Kozue, they both are very hard to present right in fanworks (curse me for getting myself into trouble by giving Kozue such a big, bitch-to-get-right part in my own fic).  I think your editing captures what these twins are about very well.

Love it etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#3 | Back to Top06-06-2012 08:41:53 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Yeah, it was kind of surprising. I started off just wanting to do Miki, but then realized he's so closely linked to Kozue that it needed to be about the both of them. And whaddya know? Anthy is so crucial to their little game with each other that she needs to be included - at least in the way they see her. The series does such a great job in using the Rose Bride to display their development. Miki starts off projecting his idealized version of a younger Kozue onto Anthy, who seems sweet and virginal (the exact opposite of the current reality). Kozue senses that her image is being replaced, and in a jealous rage attacks during the Black Rose arc.

However, by far the most interesting development is in their final episode. Kozue, perhaps affected subconsciously by the Black Rose more than we see, effectively uses the Freudian projection of her younger self as a sexual weapon against Miki. It's an act of possessive vengeance - and perhaps protection as well - that is never directly explained. They're a fucked up pair even by SKU standards.

So, to the point, thanks for your feedback! I love your Kozue, by the way. She's the kind of crazy I adore.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#4 | Back to Top06-06-2012 08:53:56 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

thanks for the fic praise, Katzenklavier!

The difficulty with fanworks regarding the twins, even for AMV, is that most clips on their own would show Miki looking overtly "earnest-seeming" and Kozue looking overtly "evil", your hardworking use of applying multiple overlapping clips with the childhood scenes and the Anthy scenes really help show the twins' real, fleshed out characterizations instead of what's only on the surface.  Again, good work!

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#5 | Back to Top06-11-2012 02:15:29 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'm not sure I have much in the way of constructive anything this time!  This is, I think, a relationship study (as opposed to a character study); there's not much in the way of narrative, except for short bursts to contextualize the relationship.  There are no lyrics to help attach meaning to images, either -- just ambience.  (I haven't seen Black Swan, which would probably help by giving me a reference point.)

The only substantive criticism I can come up with is that I can't quite tell who or what the AMV is about.  I think the problem is a POV conflict.  I experience the AMV as being very much from Miki's point of view, because he is the character who's fixed in the center throughout as Anthy trades places with Kozue.  But the AMV's presentation of the relationship only makes sense from Kozue's point of view.  Meeting Anthy goes well, and after the duel you have a beautiful "she's-just-not-that-into-you" montage -- but to then replace Anthy with Kozue, as you do, implies that Kozue was Miki's second choice.  This impression is reinforced when Kozue later tops Anthy in an Akio car.  But this view of the twins' relationship, as one where Kozue must compete with Anthy for Miki's attention, is one that would be baffling to Miki himself.  So I feel at the same time like the AMV can't be about Miki, because it's not true to his experience, but it also can't be about Kozue, because she's absent from the first minute of it.  I hope this makes some kind of sense.

On a more upbeat note, I am amazed at your ability to find perfect clips that I had completely forgotten about.  How do you do it?  Do you comb the gallery, or do you actually remember things like the duckling walking into the wall?  And my heart stopped at 1:14.  Kozue putting her hand on her thigh at that moment is the AMV equivalent of kami no itte. emot-biggrin

Board footer