This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top08-14-2010 07:23:06 PM

AnimentalCosplayer
Mikage Mistruster
Website

Re: Westboro Baptist Church Gets Owned

Also, I heard at a recent Adam Lambert concert the WBC was there && a bunch of fans conter-protested again. As well as Adam, who kissed his bassist Tommy in front of WBC.

I'm glad people are finding unique ways to show they don't agree with the WBC instead of violence.

<3AnimentalCosplayer<3

~*~ Youtube: youtube.com/animentalcosplayer ~*~
~*~ dA: animentalcosplayer.deviantart.com ~*~

#27 | Back to Top08-16-2010 08:40:43 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I agree with Yasha - as horrible as the WBC church is, whether they like it or not, they are doing some good in uniting people against homophobia. Just their sheer hatred and idiocy alone. Actually, when I first heard of WBC and all the signs and stories, I thought for sure they were all trolls, trying to make homophobia look bad. I couldn't believe they were for real.

Nate Phelps' story actually makes it make a lot more sense, I guess. (thanks for the link, Hiraku!) Fred Phelps lives in his own coffin, to sum it up.

But no matter how horrible he is, he's done wonders for the gay community. When I went to the counter-protest for WBC in Louisiana (that they didn't even show up to - we did have facebook groups for it, so they probably knew not to show up) we had hundreds of people in a small, little town in conservative Louisiana! Everyone had signs mocking the WBC in so many different ways, music, singing, dancing. It was all just a big giant party. Even though WBC didn't show up, we still won by showing that we wouldn't stand for them and their hate.

The reason why I think the WBC made a difference in that is that otherwise, I don't think so many people would show up in solidarity (ugh, I know so many sociology majors who overuse this word, but it fits) with homosexuals. If it was just a regular church with a much more "acceptable", lighter version of intolerance towards gays, not as many people would care. There were so many straight guys that I knew that came to the protest, younger than me, and were completely comfortable with protesting WBC and their stupidity... if it weren't for WBC, I'm not sure if they would have been as comfortable with showing support for homosexuality. Maybe, but where I live it's almost like every young guy is at least a little homophobic.... so I was kind of pleasantly surprised to see so many guys not being like "ew, the gay." Instead they were MOCKING the homophobes, not being the homophobes.

I do feel really bad for the children, though, especially after reading Nates' story. No kid deserves that. They grow up being taught that everyone but them is going to hell, but in all actuality, they are the ones living in hell on earth.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (08-16-2010 08:48:33 PM)

#28 | Back to Top10-15-2010 08:59:28 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

It was nice to see WBC get owned by the comic-con people. WBC is basically the real-life equivalent of internet trolls.

#29 | Back to Top10-16-2010 12:19:33 PM

Gabriel Fellsworth
Juri Jeerer

CausalityStar wrote:

It was nice to see WBC get owned by the comic-con people. WBC is basically the real-life equivalent of internet trolls.

You summed that up perfectly. ;) emot-rofl

Just because I have voices in my head, doesn't mean I am crazy.

#30 | Back to Top12-10-2010 08:59:27 AM

iatemylavalamp
Touga Topper

Hi! Thought I'd pop in this thread.

A few weeks ago, WBC came to East Lansing High School, which is about a fifteen minute walk from my dorm! So, a bunch of us went to the protest, and we OWNED them. There were only two (maybe three?) people from WBC and we couldn't even hear them because they were so quiet. They ended up leaving early because we won. school-devil

Here's some pics of our signs:

http://i54.tinypic.com/24me0k8.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/bzgap.jpg

#31 | Back to Top12-10-2010 04:56:24 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

^ LOL

"I kissed a girl" and "I love lamp" are my favorites.  Even if you cannot save those people from their state of mind, at least you can send them the message that it's a battle lost.

#32 | Back to Top05-05-2011 03:36:32 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

Man I love those pictures! I really like all the posters, but especially the free blow-jobs and, "I thought this was a legalize marijuana rally." I do happen to support legalizing marijuana, so yay!

Board footer