This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#201 | Back to Top01-24-2012 10:55:11 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Thank you Gio.  Very valuable advice I will take with me. The thing that annoys me so far are the other students who lecture you. I don't mind friendly advice at all and welcome it, but when that other student is making more mistakes than me it annoys me when they act superior just because they have a friend who's a doctor or worked as a secretary in a nursing home.

I apologize for derailing this topic with my school issues emot-redface

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#202 | Back to Top01-27-2012 11:10:54 PM

Brea_the_Brave
Saionji Slapper

Giovanna wrote:

Brea_the_Brave wrote:

Mystery Stuff

I feel like there's an obvious answer that I shouldn't offer, but often, it's the obvious one. Acute pyelonephritis (severe kidney infection, technically still a UTI, but a whole other breed), which was unresponsive to the original antibiotic therapy (which wouldn't have been enough and might not have targeted the right bacteria strain anyway). Your later symptoms describe septic shock, which would also explain why you're in the ICU. Imaging would have shown your kidney looking like an inflated balloon with lots of regional swelling, I suspect, with likely damage to the ureters and kidney structures.

Excellent Gio, and thank you for responding.

It was a UTI that turned into a kidney infection but there was a bit more to it than that. My imaging results also revealed that I had some small stones and a rather large cyst in my left kidney. The stone was ground up and combined with some of the mucus from the cyst to create "kidney sludge." I'm know there is a medical term for it, but I don't recall what it is.
The UTI moved up into my kidney where it wreaked havoc combined with the cysts and the sludge. When my kidney tried to flush itself, some of the sludge leaked out, causing severe pain and eventually a blockage. The blockage prevented urine from flowing which led to my septic shock. The blood and other nasty substance I was passing was most likely small amounts of my inflamed ureter or small bits of the sludge.
There were two types of bacteria that showed up in my urine. One was E. Coli and I can't remember what the other one was. There were also excessive amounts of white blood cells, blood, and bits of bladder tissue.
I was released from the hospital yesterday and I need to follow up regularly for urine tests, blood tests, and bi-monthly ultrasounds of my left kidney and bladder. I am also scheduled to take antibiotics for the next four months. I'm confused by this. I always thought using antibiotics excessively did more harm than good. Although the dosage will be lowered gradually over time, I still feel uneasy about it. Is it overkill? Am I going to be more likely to get sick because of all these antibiotics?

#203 | Back to Top01-28-2012 10:07:11 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Well, I did better than I thought I would! emot-dance I was wondering about the mucus, and stones did occur to me, but I ended up leaving them out, because mucus can actually be a side effect of a nasty kidney infection.

When you're dealing with kidney infections, an extended term of antibiotics is typical. A good way to think about it is that the more 'internal' an organ is, the harder it clings to infection. While a simple UTI or even a sinus infection is easy to flush out, the deeper tissue ones take a longer time to be sure. They also don't want to risk another infection taking hold while your tissues are trashed, torn apart, and vulnerable. It sounds like your tissues took a severe beating with the stones and such, so until they heal up, the safe assumption is that they cannot defend themselves.

As for the long term ABX, it's not going to be a danger to you. Just make sure you avoid sunlight if the meds you're on suggest it so (some antibiotics are like that, others aren't). Also, be very mindful of keeping your skin dry and clean and your mouth washed well. Long runs of antibiotics make you incredibly vulnerable to yeast infections, since they have more room to grow. You might want to make a temporary habit of cranberry juice and active culture yogurt to avoid miserable painful nasties. Also, you might have some constipation problems, but nothing that can't easily be remedied by making sure your fiber intake is sufficient. emot-smile Most importantly: DON'T STOP TAKING THEM, AND BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT NOT MISSING DOSES. Bacteria become resistant to antibiotics through exposure. If the infection's half gone, you skip a few doses, and it lingers, it's now stronger. We primarily mean antibiotics are overused because people demand them for things that don't even react to them (colds), but we also worry about putting people on extended dose schedules because people are lazy and stop taking them because they feel fine, or simply forget. Don't be that person!

chrisb - Trust me, by the end those people will be brought down so many pegs it isn't even funny. You have a doctor friend? Great, you have a friend that knows even less about nursing than you do right now. Your mom's a nurse? Awesome, you're probably not going to puke over seeing someone with a huge bedsore, but you still need to learn all this stuff yourself. Just tackle the material and do your best, and don't let the other students bring you down with their whining about how hard it is. Nursing school is full of rumors and whining and hating on the pain in the ass teacher with the project. Yeah, it's all sucky sometimes, but whining about your prof, the material, or the lack of sleep won't improve any of it. I'm not gonna be all THINK POSITIVE, but don't let the negativity pull you down, and don't let anyone else convince you that it's an insurmountable ordeal. Try to find a group that you work well with, not one that reinforces your fears or adds to them. I never managed this, I ended up alone instead, which worked well enough for me, but I saw a lot of students that could have done better brought down because they hung out with students that did nothing but whine. Look for the following groups:

- The smart group that thinks they're entitled to something because they're smart, so they do nothing but bitch about the professor being crappy, the project being pointless, or the dean not listening when they say that someone should be fired
- The not as smart group that manages to keep passing but acts like every exam, quiz, question, and lab assignment is some irrationally difficult task no one should rightly expect of STUDENTS LIKE THEM--they spaz out and constantly look terrified
- The group that's failed a class or two but still parties half the week--they seem to think this is supposed to be like, college, instead of boot camp for nurses
- The scholastic genius with the best test scores in the class but is terrified to death of the clinical environment, can't talk to anyone, and is scared of blood

The people you should look for:
- The middle of the road kids who have maybe failed a class, but they try hard, hunker down and do what they need to do, and give it their all--for some reason, this group almost never studies on campus
- The kids that may have a rough time on the exams, but have balls of steel where it counts--this is the student that will not only try anything they can, but look for and beg for opportunities to land caths, assess patients, and give reports YOU WANT TO BE AROUND THIS ONE, they will be the only one not shitting their pants come last term, and these were the only students I felt, at the end of school, would be decent nurses

Look at me preaching again. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#204 | Back to Top01-31-2012 12:11:03 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Hey, I don't mind at all. I'm very thankful for all of this and will look at your post when school seems impossible. Your advice was very honest, but also made me realize it's hard but not impossible. I hope I can at least be half the nurse you are one day emot-smile

#205 | Back to Top02-03-2012 05:05:30 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Giovanna wrote:

But all of that is just like, you know, valuable advice. What you really need to know is that Red Bull and Monster and all that ridiculous crap is for students pursuing degrees that don't teach basic pharm. What you want is Bronkaid (25 mg ephedrine) and 1 caffeine pill (200 mg). This will wire you like an unholy demon for about 4 hours. You will laugh at the kids wasting money on Red Bull and Starbucks that doesn't work even 1/5th as well.

Hey, sweet! I have been on to caffeine pills for a while; would this also be advisable for a regular pre-workout boaster? If not, could you suggest something that would be?

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#206 | Back to Top02-03-2012 09:30:43 AM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

Gio, I have something, it's kind of embarrassing though>~<;

So, the last time I had a real period was in november or early december of last year (I think it was early november...). They never come in at the same time each month (well, they do kind of, like two months in a row they may come at the beginning but then the next month it may be at the end of the month...etc) and OCCASIONALLY I will skip a month, so I never worry when I do (I'm a virgin anyways) but this time, a few weeks ago I got it, but the thing is is that it's not...really a period? It's just really spotty, and it doesn't happen every day. every other day or couple days, it will just kind of spot throughout the day and that might happen for one or two days and stop, then it will happen again. Then I'll see a decent amount of blood and think it's really coming, bit it doesn't. This has happened to me before, but it only lasted a week...This time, it's been a good...probably three weeks? My period usually lasts only 5 days...I don't have really bad cramps, once or twice  every week since it happened it may...hurt isn't the word, just feel discomfortable a bit in the area cramps usually happen at?

Is this something serious? I don't use tampons, so I don't think something's being blocked?? Am I just having an extra long weird period? emot-gonk I don't know and it's starting to scare me emot-frown I'm healthy besides that, the only thing I've ever been told is that I'm over weight, but I'm (to my knowledge and what the doctor told me last time I went) healthy I thought... emot-confused

#207 | Back to Top02-03-2012 05:03:05 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

Hey, sweet! I have been on to caffeine pills for a while; would this also be advisable for a regular pre-workout boaster? If not, could you suggest something that would be?

Depends on what your workout is. Intense cardio and EC stacking do not get along. EC stacking is, however, a very common pre-workout booster for weightlifting and other things that aren't intensely hard on your heart.

yuzu - How old are you? emot-smile That's not at all an unusual problem even for women who have had a long time to even out, but it's very, very common for teenagers. I had the same problem myself, actually! While there are things that can cause it, it's also equally likely it's just confused hormones. My suggestion would be to see a doctor and think about going on birth control. (Yes I know, virgin.) Oral contraception will regulate your period, and doctors are very used to doing that for women whose schedules are all out of whack. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#208 | Back to Top02-03-2012 05:51:41 PM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

Thank you SO much, Giovanna!! I'm 18 emot-keke I first got it regularly when I was 14, and this has never really happened before, so I was really worried emot-keke;; I was thinking about birth control for a while just for that...it can get pretty annoying never knowing when it's coming emot-gonk haha emot-keke;

Thank you! I feel so much better emot-biggrin ( Ah..this is my 100th post! *throws confetti* haha XD)

#209 | Back to Top02-07-2012 08:12:06 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Giovanna wrote:

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

Depends on what your workout is. Intense cardio and EC stacking do not get along. EC stacking is, however, a very common pre-workout booster for weightlifting and other things that aren't intensely hard on your heart.)

Thanks for the tip, when I start grad school...

Oh well, considering that all I do is cardio that is clearly not going to work, for my work out booster. I used to take Endorush's pre-workout energy drinks but they stopped manufacturing those.  Any other suggestions for a good pre-cardio intense jolt of energy; if I don't have anything I am so damn sluggish and lagtastic.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#210 | Back to Top02-13-2012 08:07:01 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

I've had a sore jaw joint on one side for days... It hurts when I open it too wide, and sometimes when I'm chewing or sneezing or something I feel it pop, which also usually hurts. I think it happened because I spent hours with my fist propping up my chin while I read fanfiction >.>
How can I help it?

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#211 | Back to Top02-24-2012 08:41:16 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Giovanna, is dengue-h fever fatal? My boyfriend's youngest brother was just diagnosed with it and we're really worried. emot-frown

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#212 | Back to Top02-26-2012 01:28:10 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Dognog wrote:

I've had a sore jaw joint on one side for days... It hurts when I open it too wide, and sometimes when I'm chewing or sneezing or something I feel it pop, which also usually hurts. I think it happened because I spent hours with my fist propping up my chin while I read fanfiction >.>
How can I help it?

Honestly, not much you can do. emot-frown Take some ibuprofen to keep the swelling and pain down and wait it out. emot-frown

Riri-kins wrote:

Giovanna, is dengue-h fever fatal? My boyfriend's youngest brother was just diagnosed with it and we're really worried. emot-frown

...where is he? That's not something you run into much outside of tropical climates in fairly undeveloped countries.

It is fatal if untreated. It requires a lot of IV rehydration and possibly blood transfusions and nutrition therapy, because the only thing to do is treat the symptoms while the virus runs its course. So assuming sufficient medical attention, he'll be okay.

#213 | Back to Top02-27-2012 06:09:43 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Giovanna wrote:

...where is he? That's not something you run into much outside of tropical climates in fairly undeveloped countries.

It is fatal if untreated. It requires a lot of IV rehydration and possibly blood transfusions and nutrition therapy, because the only thing to do is treat the symptoms while the virus runs its course. So assuming sufficient medical attention, he'll be okay.

He's back in  the Philippines. Thanks for the information.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#214 | Back to Top03-10-2012 08:21:03 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Sorry if this post appears stupid and/or pointless, but...

Roughly 3-4 days ago I endured what seems to merely be a minor bruise on my right ring finger (funny story behind that actually, but that's not for this thread I suppose) but at the time I wasn't quite thinking clearly (honestly, I was having too much fun to care that much about the injury) and merely ran cold water over my hand for roughly 30 seconds or so before going back to my daily business. Unfortunately, since then it seems to have gotten worse, though since it was minor to begin with it still doesn't quite look too bad... (image Here) anyway, I was wondering if this is because I didn't put ice on it or the like, so... my question: does that matter by now? Should I be taking action to fix it? If so, is there anything I should know besides what Wikipedia says to do?

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#215 | Back to Top03-12-2012 09:45:24 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Honestly, at this point there's nothing you can do, and it wouldn't have been any better to continue chilling your hand afterward. The impact does the damage, then you just wait out the busted capillaries. Bruises can often take several days to peak before beginning to fade, so nothing here is unusual. There's nothing you can do, just wait, and don't do that again. emot-wink

#216 | Back to Top03-16-2012 08:06:09 AM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

I have been viciously nauseated often over the past few weeks, culminating in some rather nasty stomach drama coinciding with my period ( nothing unusual in and of itself, I often joke that the older I get, the more and more my pms looks like pregnancy).

What is unusual is that I usually get better once the bleeding starts and I haven't yet.

Also any resources on birth control I hear they're good for making me a raging h00r making this type of thing suck less.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#217 | Back to Top03-16-2012 01:56:19 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I was going to pop in here, all freaked the fuck out, asking if a mysterious, painful red rash the size of a silver dollar just above my ass crack was staph or some kind of humiliating diaper rash or bite after agonizing over its appearance in the bathroom mirror last night after I took a shower.

Then I realized it was carpet burn from a where a friend dragged me across the carpet by the legs in an attempt to, as he put it, "Clean my stinky butt."

>:[

I have carpet burn on my ass waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

#218 | Back to Top03-18-2012 08:11:34 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Anji wrote:

I have been viciously nauseated often over the past few weeks, culminating in some rather nasty stomach drama coinciding with my period ( nothing unusual in and of itself, I often joke that the older I get, the more and more my pms looks like pregnancy).

What is unusual is that I usually get better once the bleeding starts and I haven't yet.

Also any resources on birth control I hear they're good for making me a raging h00r making this type of thing suck less.

The Pill definitely worked for me, but then I only brawl with Auntie Flo' every few months or so; it wasn't all the time. So it might be different for you. Am not a medical prac, but could you have another stomach bug on top of that? If it's still hanging around in a week or two, it might be worth asking your doctor to treat you for giardia. When I had it I suffered for a month and a half before it clicked. Mind you, considering that I used to work in water treatment, everything is giardia as far as I'm concerned...

#219 | Back to Top03-30-2012 01:53:44 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Hrm, so, I guess I should just spit this out here, but I had really bad, unsatisfying incomplete drunken sex with a dude last night.  It was my first time, and I was too tight to enter.  I'm not upset over it, just really embarrassed at my lack of self-control and really not interested in sex and relationships and men when sober.  Anyway, posting here because my vagina is sore anyway and I was wanting to know if this was normal.  I'll have to go to the clinic anyway for some birth control (recommends?) so I was wondering if this was something I should mention.  I've never had a pap smear, now that I've had not-quite sex, should I get one?  I'm also worried about insurance and costs.  I'm not able to afford anything too expensive, but I'm afraid of anything popping up on my insurance, which I get via my mother.  You know, the Jehovah's Witness.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (03-30-2012 01:54:41 PM)

#220 | Back to Top03-30-2012 04:10:31 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Look into Planned Parenthood in your area. Private, based on your income, and will do all of these things. I do recommend getting a pap now, and I do recommend you get a morning after pill ASAP. Was the almost-sex unprotected?

It is normal to be sore, it's entirely likely there was some tearing of the hymen, but it didn't complete. The safest bet is to treat this like sex did fully take place. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up so hard about it. That's how people repeat mistakes, instead of learn from them! I know it seems like you were taking advantage of the situation, but seriously, it was a mistake that happens, and there are no victims here. Just make sure you deal with the aftermath safely. Find a Planned Parenthood!

#221 | Back to Top03-31-2012 12:21:46 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

If you're going to treat it like full-on sex, get an STI test too? And if you're going to have sex again with this guy, he should definitely get one.

My own doctor has told me that a PAP isn't necessary right when you start intercourse, as it can cause more harm than good. Now I only get a PAP once every two years. Thoughts, Gio?

I was also too tight the first... what, three times I tried? Noooo big deal, me thinks.

#222 | Back to Top03-31-2012 05:26:17 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Haha, the Planned Parenthood around here has very limited hours, and I couldn't get into one by today due to work.  It's closed on Sunday, which wasn't mentioned on the website.  There is no PP or any kind of equivalent back in super small, super nosy Houston, MO, which I have to drive down to tomorrow for a wedding.  I'm actually kind of scared.  There were people gathered outside the PP when I went and I didn't know what to think of them, and I just kinda feel alone and am starting to really fear a pregnancy.  I've always been really afraid of getting pregnant.  I'm not sure what to do, other than wait until Monday and go to PP between class (Noon to 3pm).

#223 | Back to Top03-31-2012 08:21:38 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

It's more about when you start intercourse I think. The general idea is that most women start sexual activity right around when it would be wise to get paps. But there is no concrete point I've heard of. I would say get a pap every year, since it's free anyway, but every two is more than most women do, and should catch most anything daunting that comes along. Also, active or not, anyone that has any access at all to the HPV vaccine should be getting it. I found a research program in my area that did it for free, although each shot took me literally six hours to get.

Honestly, you'll have long missed your window for EC by Monday. emot-frown Go anyway, because you need the input and evaluation and assistance they can provide. Get on birth control (they'll probably require a pap, or did when I used their services), and see what if any options are available to you now that the EC option has passed. Honestly, if he didn't achieve penetration, the chances of a pregnancy drop dramatically. But it can happen. Go to PP--you need the support and you need to know and consider your options if the worst does happen. A lot of the fear you feel right now is probably because you don't know what you would do. That's also the only thing you can control right now. You can find out what you would do. Focus on that, hope for the best, prepare yourself for the worst, and you'll come out of this stronger.

Do NOT be afraid to go to PP. Don't be intimidated by the people around you. Do not let your fear of nosy short-sighted dickbags get in the way of your ability to make informed, safe, and wise decisions about your life. You made a mistake. Everyone does! That's nothing to be ashamed of. But it is your responsibility now to deal with the repercussions of this mistake. I know you'll make us proud. emot-smile

#224 | Back to Top05-15-2012 07:22:29 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

For the past few days I've been feeling very weak and achey between the hours of 2 and 6/7 PM. I take a Tylenol and it goes away and I feel great. I even wake up with no problems. Not running a fever or anything. I've been sleeping about 7 hours a night. I did have some severe stress over finals last week and it made me a bit sleep deprived, but would it still be effecting me?

#225 | Back to Top06-08-2012 03:19:49 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

I wonder whether it's considered a good or a bad thing that there hasn't been any replies in this thread for such a long time...

Anyway, bump because I can has question. Since I haven't been able to find much information on my own...

Are headrushes bad? I'm noticing that since I've been doing an exceptional amount of sitting down/staying still for extended periods of time lately, it's become a fairly regular occurrence that I get that sort of sensation from suddenly standing up. Being the weirdo I am, I kind of revel in it and draw out the experience as much as possible. I'm fairly certain I don't need to explain why, but anyway... is there any reason I shouldn't do that? Just curious.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

Board footer