This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-04-2009 09:26:55 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

Vital Information for Your Everyday Life

Is anyone else here on IRG a trivia junkie?  Sometimes, I'll come across a bit of information that's fascinating, and I feel the need to share it.  For instance:

-You're more likely to be struck by lightning twice than to be attacked by a shark.

-Lighter fluid is excellent for cleaning chrome and other metals

-When your eyes transmit visual information to your brain, it's upside-down.  The brain flips it right side-up before you "see" it.

-During the early part of the 20th century, gay men would identify one another by wearing red neck ties.  Now they do it by going to Barbara Streisand concerts.

-Water is the only substance known to man that expands when it freezes into a solid.

-After having sex, the brain releases a chemical which has effects nearly identical to that of Opium.

-It's physically impossible to fold a piece of paper more than eight times.  Go on, try it.

And this is only the tip of the iceberg (Incidentally, less than a quarter of an iceberg is visible from above the water)  Do you guys have any random trivial knowledge to add to the collection?

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#2 | Back to Top08-04-2009 09:52:41 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Re: Vital Information for Your Everyday Life

Coke/Pepsi can operate as a rust remover, cleaning agent (especially regarding stains), and apparently you can even clean toilets with it (never tried it, though...heh..)

Lefties   (whose population includes me) are considered more susceptible to alcoholism, car accidents, epilepsy, tend to have extremes in IQ, and from personal knowledge though contrary to popular notions, have a natural advantage over right-handers in playing right-handed instruments, especially string instruments such as violin, guitar, cello, etc.  And also were traditionally believed to have been associated with demonic influences.

Ring-finger size can indicate testosterone level and can also indicate speed and swiftness in running.  When the ring finger is longer than the index, it indicates higher testosterone level and some believe they can predict who will win a race just by comparing ring finger lengths in comparison to the index finger, the longer ring finger pertaining to the one holding the advantage. (my ring finger is maybe five mil longer than the index and about three mil on the left and much of what is said applies.)

The big toe is vital in being able to walk.

Hearing impairment not only affects how one detects sound but it also negatively affects one's ability to maintain balance while walking.

(facts, of course, can be misleading or skewed, though I retain a reasonable to large degree of confidence on most of what I wrote.)

Last edited by spoon-san (08-04-2009 09:57:41 PM)

#3 | Back to Top08-04-2009 09:59:47 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

spoon-san wrote:

Ring-finger size can indicate testosterone level and can also indicate speed and swiftness in running.  When the ring finger is longer than the index, it indicates higher testosterone level and some believe they can predict who will win a race just by comparing ring finger lengths in comparison to the index finger, the longer ring finger pertaining to the one holding the advantage. (my ring finger is maybe five mil longer than the index and about three mil on the left.)

This reminds me of a little "test" someone told me about once.  If you're a girl and your ring finger is longer than your index finger, you're a lesbian (supposedly).  The adverse was true for men.  I wonder if it has something to do with what you mentioned above?

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#4 | Back to Top08-04-2009 10:08:46 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Never heard of it but it makes sense.  It does correlate with testosterone levels so females with this would logically be more open in sexuality and may be more prone to bicurious tendencies.  For me, I remember having some manner of attraction to the same sex since I was really young and better related with males than females.  So my case does not contradict it, really since I'm moderately higher and may contribute to always have been bicurious or else moderately bi in preferences...but that's speculation on my part.  But it's wholly common sense for it to give the women a natural tendency to having feelings for at least both sexes and for guys to be mostly geared towards the opposite sex if not tending to be exclusively heterosexual.

That reminds me, with being left-handed, I think I read that such are prone to having higher testosterone levels due to testosterone in the womb flowing to the right hemisphere of the brain which I think is more relate to testosterone.  And that's why one cause of left-handedness is higher testosterone exposure during fetal development.

#5 | Back to Top08-05-2009 10:07:01 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Humans and giraffes have the same amount of neck bones.

The world's oldest virgin is one-hundred five year old Clara Meadmore.

Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be America's national bird.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#6 | Back to Top08-05-2009 10:41:30 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

105 year old? emot-aaa. The very thought makes me shiver.

- Hogs have a 30 minute orgasm (can you imagine that?)
- Only humans and dolphins make sex not only for procreation, but for pure pleasure as well
- The estimated value of the lost amber treasure known as the "Amber Room" is about 500.000.000 $
- You CAN break your penis, actually (although it's not a bone)

And as for water... I think that ammonia and a few other fluids can do that trick as well, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Nanami's Rose Groom (08-05-2009 10:45:15 AM)

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#7 | Back to Top08-05-2009 12:07:22 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Actually it's not just humans and dolphins. Dogs and chimps do it as well, bonobos at least, plus there are probably more I don't know about.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#8 | Back to Top08-05-2009 02:32:18 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

ArsenicForBreakfast wrote:

-It's physically impossible to fold a piece of paper more than eight times.  Go on, try it.

This was disproven by Myth Busters. Granted, they used a piece of paper the size of a football field and a tractor, but nonetheless, it is possible.

- The whole "drinking eight glasses of water" thing is a myth. It's actually around 2-5 depending.

- Eating cheese releases neurotransmitters in your brain that are similar to the ones released when a baby is breastfed by its mother. The primary purpose of this though, is to create a feeling of bonding. Cheese lovers ftw!

- Platypuses are venomous.

- Syora likes Rickards and Keiths. (In case any of you ever decide to take me out drinking)

#9 | Back to Top08-05-2009 02:50:30 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

spoon-san wrote:

Lefties are considered more susceptible to alcoholism, car accidents, epilepsy,

Oh boy, more good news! emot-dance

(Actually, I've always been pretty happy to be a lefty, mainly because of the 'demonic influence' thing. Makes me sound pretty cool. cool )

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#10 | Back to Top08-05-2009 02:55:17 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Huh. I just folded my piece of paper over 13 times. DOES THIS MAKE ME MAGIC?! 8D

#11 | Back to Top08-05-2009 02:58:20 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

Huh. I just folded my piece of paper over 13 times. DOES THIS MAKE ME MAGIC?! 8D

This reminds me of how, once people are told that it's physically impossible to lick their elbow, 1/3 of people will try to. Rofl.

#12 | Back to Top08-05-2009 02:58:43 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

I guess it does make you magic.  Must be the avatar.

#13 | Back to Top08-05-2009 03:12:02 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

I think you will find that s/he meant that it was impossible to fold a paper IN HALF each time more than 8 times.

#14 | Back to Top08-05-2009 06:09:26 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Tamago wrote:

I think you will find that s/he meant that it was impossible to fold a paper IN HALF each time more than 8 times.

Mythbusters showed that it's possible - but only if the paper is the size of a football field, and it still isn't easy.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#15 | Back to Top08-05-2009 07:05:16 PM

Pfft
Touga Topper

Speaking of icebergs:

If you fill a glass of ice-water to the brim (so the ice projects above the edge of the glass), and then wait for the ice to melt, the water will still be exactly at brim (the water level will neither sink now overflow the glass). Isn't that an amazing coincidence? emot-smile

~ a Sphinx-phinx in the winter of the desert  ~

#16 | Back to Top08-06-2009 01:05:02 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Children under the age of 4 can draw reasobavle circles and triangles but not squares.school-eng101

Pfft wrote:

Speaking of icebergs:

If you fill a glass of ice-water to the brim (so the ice projects above the edge of the glass), and then wait for the ice to melt, the water will still be exactly at brim (the water level will neither sink now overflow the glass). Isn't that an amazing coincidence? emot-smile

COOL! cool

#17 | Back to Top08-06-2009 06:31:03 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Syora wrote:

This was disproven by Myth Busters. Granted, they used a piece of paper the size of a football field and a tractor, but nonetheless, it is possible.

Lightice wrote:

Mythbusters showed that it's possible - but only if the paper is the size of a football field, and it still isn't easy.

Does no one read my posts anymore? emot-gonk

#18 | Back to Top08-06-2009 10:57:05 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

- The title of this thread is from that skit with Lori Beth from All That! etc-love etc-love

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#19 | Back to Top08-07-2009 03:04:16 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Syora wrote:

Sorry. Late at night.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#20 | Back to Top08-07-2009 11:25:40 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Genuphobia is the fear of knees (WTF?)

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#21 | Back to Top08-07-2009 11:46:48 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Lightice wrote:

Syora wrote:

Sorry. Late at night.

It's OK bb. Sorry for being fussy.

- They say that 8 bamboo stalks grown together are a symbol of prosperity.

#22 | Back to Top08-08-2009 04:14:20 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

- Polar bears are all left - handed (left pawed?)
- An unprotected human can survive exposure to the conditions of space for up to 12 seconds, and sustain no great harm
- An unprotected human can not get frozen, when exposed to outer space. He'll rather die of ebulism
- If people were to land on Titan, they could fly only with the strength of their own muscles, and help of artificial bird wings. That's because of the density of Titan's atmosphere.
- Spontaneous combustion burns human body into ash along with the bones. This means, that the flames must have at least 2.000 Celsius degrees, as in lower temperature the bones wouldn't incinerate. The funny fact is, that the surroundings are unharmed by that temperature. The mechanism of the process is still unknown.
- One XIX century lord died when thunder striked him. A few years later, thunder destroyed the lord's gravestone.
- Potential deadly alcohol dose is about 3 promiles. It's not true with Poles and Russians, who can accept even as much as 8 promiles of alcohol.
- A fragment of matter from the Sun, that's as small as this forum's smiley face has enough energy to incinerate you in less than second from the distance of about 600 km
- According to new quantum theories, "magic" rituals are actually able to change reality on a quantum level, and therefore affect our lives, like in butterfly effect. Yay for occultism?
- There are spiders who live in web air bubbles underwater
- If a a spaceship with a human crew, would travel with a near-light speed, it would reach the oldest known to us places in the space in about 20.000.000.000 years. However due to time slowing, for the crew it would take only about 100 years.

Sources: geeky studies, scientific articles, and my job... emot-biggrin

#23 | Back to Top08-08-2009 04:59:10 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Uh... what quantum theory are you talking about? Granted I'm not a physicist, I'd need some kind of legitimate citation before I could swallow that one. Sure, you can have a butterfly effect by which the collapse of superposition in subatomic particles has an effect in the macro scale, but... magic rituals? Seriously? What kind of mechanism could suggest such an influence?

Back to the sun though, the temperature of the sun covers a pretty wide range, some parts are as cool as 4000K, while other parts, even further out, reach temperatures as high as 20000000K. It seems the highest temperatures actually occur nearer the surface.

Also, the relative energy released by mass in the sun's core is actually a tiny fraction of what the human body releases. This makes the kind of fusion reaction the sun uses to produce energy totally useless for power generation here on earth.

Oh, and on the subject of polar bears, their skin is actually black. Their outer fur is actually transparent, but because of the way it refracts light, the polar bear appears white.

EDIT: Oh, and carrots used to be purple. They're only orange now because the Dutch bred them that way a few hundred years ago. Those Dutch folks sure do love the color orange.

Last edited by Stormcrow (08-08-2009 05:01:49 AM)

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#24 | Back to Top08-08-2009 05:12:55 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

I can't give you the proper citation (maybe after the weekend, when I'm back at work), but it was something about not essentially magic, but the subject of "mind over matter". Something along the lines "The information sent in the past determines the future", or something like that. If you're interested, I can rewrite the article, or I'll search for a link to it.

And I heard about the carrots as well emot-smile

EDIT: Googled something up. It seems that "quantum magic is a popular discussion topic now

http://www.netalive.org/topics/43309

EDIT 2: Also, though a bit complicated, but it seems that quantum mechanics is like magic itself

http://www.ecauldron.net/quantummagick.php

Especially the part "Quantum mechanics and psychokinesis", but now I've gotten a little offtopic. Let's move on to our further trivia emot-smile

Last edited by Nanami's Rose Groom (08-08-2009 06:18:30 AM)

#25 | Back to Top08-08-2009 12:39:33 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

This space contained an immoderate and off-topic rant that I'm moving to the physics thread.

Oh, and there's already a trivia thread over here, if anyone cares; but it's been dead for a couple years, so at this point we might as well just continue this one.

Last edited by satyreyes (08-08-2009 01:31:20 PM)

Board footer