This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-06-2012 02:45:14 PM

Varla
Touga Topper
Website

Film Director's Styles that Remind you of SKU...

I don't know if this has been touch upon, but I've always felt there was such a deep quality to SKU, that each episode for me was like studying a film. Are there certain directors that you tend to be reminded of when watching Utena? Do you think it's unintentional or a possible homage?
I always think of David Lynch, Gregg Araki, Ingmar Bergman and Bernado Bertolucci.

David Lynch: all of the mindfuckery abound. The relantionship between Naomi Watts and Laura Harring in Mulholland Drive

Gregg Araki: 90s nostalgic, bright technicolor palette, constant theme of 'The World's End', LGBT teens.

Ingmar Bergman: How I get people to watch SKU. "It's an anime, but it's like you're watching Persona!"

Bernado Bertolucci: Lavish imagery and symbolism, coming of age, complicated and often incestuous relationships found

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/mekei_004/anime%20and%20cartoons%20and%20whatever%20004/saiLor%20moon%20004/penuranus.gif
The World's a Mess, it's in my Kiss

#2 | Back to Top07-08-2012 08:41:58 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: Film Director's Styles that Remind you of SKU...

Utena wants to be a Tenjo Sajiki play and a Terayama film. Accept no alternatives. Always Terayama.

*lights a candle, puts on a Terayama mask and sings to take me to the end of the world* ;__;

Board footer